View topic image gallery

ED9B4126-4DDA-4797-9AD0-85FC3E2214DF (resized).jpeg
5BEE3477-5C05-4F91-B9A3-5FB936778BC4 (resized).jpeg
20200826_102348 (resized).jpg
1810DCB7-2F17-4C25-82CD-316BB1EE84A3 (resized).jpeg
CEB27650-131A-4ED5-B87D-145FFD4C1389 (resized).jpeg
1A0AE894-D0A2-42E9-AE0A-266CFA1DCD9A (resized).jpeg
2E01209D-B042-45C3-88A2-F244771084B1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

The problems could be a few things or just one of these things:

- Nozzles - Personally I would just stick with the 0.4mm brass ones, tried the hardened steel and had problems. Going slightly smaller may give you a finer print but takes longer. I also go for nozzles that are about 45 deg angle not the real shallow ones.

- Heater Cartridge - you may have an issue with the heater cartridge / sensor... and when starts to failure can be a little eractic and consistent heat is important.

- Teflon Feeder Tube - I have noticed is the feeder tube after time suffers wear internally and starts to grab the plastic that feeds through it and can cause stalls in the plastic feed and snapping of the feeding material. I now replace the Teflon tube after about 6 rolls and also give a quick squirt of silicon spray after each new roll of plastic installed inside the teflon tube outside away from anything and this ensures a nice material feed. The silcon burns off in the 200 degree heat through the nozzle.

- Rafting - Lastly for years I never used the raft feature and use to have average prints due to the base layer lifting etc, and since the first layer is so critical for all printers especially on the older makerbots which had no bed levelling early days. Now with using the rafting, my prints have improved as it also tends to take into account slight bed levelling issues.

All that said I only use the printer for proof of concept so does not get a huge workout like it use to.

hope that helps

#11 3 years ago

agree on a few points
- filament can absorb moisture which can affect the print and the feed as some will snap easier before getting to the heater cartridge.
- once filament gets old or a crappy supply it can fail through the feeding wheel and clog that up
- from my experience the nozzles generally go alright except for when they clog due to the teflon tube / clogged feeding wheel - from mositure affected or crappy filament

technically the filament is a semi-liquid by the time it goes through the nozzle but over time extended periods of heat will ever so slowly wear the nozzle

Quoted from pinball_faz:

I think so. My printer has two print heads. Both had their issues.
Yesterday I swapped nozzles to see if the angle of attack would change... it did and actually print quality went up considerably. I swapped them back and it was printing poorly. I probably dropped the nozzles during one of many jams.. or knocked it with my wrench causing a deformity. 0.4mm is pretty tiny.
New nozzles and Teflon tube is on the way!
faz

yes you don't want to have the teflon tube too tight and flat and a little squirt of silicon spray outside and then whip the excess out and install helps a smooth feed.

overall 3d printers are very cool but rarely a plug and play and require some tinkering and some problem solving

have fun

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printer-replacment-nozzles?tu=swinks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.