View topic image gallery

ED9B4126-4DDA-4797-9AD0-85FC3E2214DF (resized).jpeg
5BEE3477-5C05-4F91-B9A3-5FB936778BC4 (resized).jpeg
20200826_102348 (resized).jpg
1810DCB7-2F17-4C25-82CD-316BB1EE84A3 (resized).jpeg
CEB27650-131A-4ED5-B87D-145FFD4C1389 (resized).jpeg
1A0AE894-D0A2-42E9-AE0A-266CFA1DCD9A (resized).jpeg
2E01209D-B042-45C3-88A2-F244771084B1 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_faz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I've been having limited success with my printer.

When I first got the printer (used at that) it printed fairly well. I printed #3DBenchy.. the little boat was perfect! Now not so much. There's some drooping and gaps. Another indicator of a nozzle issue is the test line that prints before it starts printing the actual object. A single line to clean the tip and get things moving. It used to print super smooth. Now it prints with a saw tooth edge pattern.

I think after much futzing, I've either got a bit of debris in the nozzle that won't clean or the tip is deformed (soft bass).

Looking at the replacement MK8 nozzles I spot some hardened steel nozzles that feels like a good upgrade to avoid deformation issues... or if the heat transfer is weird, I can just buy a 20 pack and pitch them as I notice a problem.

Looking for some advice from the more experienced.

Also, since you're here. The standard seems to be 0.4mm. Any reason to get different sizes? keep in mind, my printer is circa 2012.. Makerbot "Replicator"

Thanks,
faz

#5 3 years ago

Thanks all for the comments! The idea of the hardened tool steel tips was interesting, but worried about rust and heat transfer.
I'll stick with brass and perhaps play with a few different sizes.

I love the idea of the Teflon feeder tube. I actually think my feeder tube is too short. When reaching far forward it does flatten out quite a bit. There's got to be a lot of static pressure on the filament. A longer arc AND Teflon would be a great!

Awesome advice!
faz

#7 3 years ago

I think so. My printer has two print heads. Both had their issues.

Yesterday I swapped nozzles to see if the angle of attack would change... it did and actually print quality went up considerably. I swapped them back and it was printing poorly. I probably dropped the nozzles during one of many jams.. or knocked it with my wrench causing a deformity. 0.4mm is pretty tiny.

New nozzles and Teflon tube is on the way!

faz

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

crank the heat way up (like 260)

Hmmm.. I did do this but only cranked it up to 230C... that's the high end of PLA. I did not want to hurt the motor.

I'm reasonably sure the nozzle is clear, but I don't have a needle that small. The new nozzles I bought come with 5. I'll know in the future.

This is all great stuff.
thanks,
faz

#17 3 years ago

I missed the part about getting "medieval" on it with a pair of pliers and a blow-torch. Awesome!
faz

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_faz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printer-replacment-nozzles?tu=pinball_faz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.