DSC01728.JPG
22.jpg
11.jpg
p3-6.GIF
p4-3.GIF
p3-3.GIF
p4-1.GIF
p3-1.GIF
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

These guys are printing metal? Metal printing would allow complex parts to be made that wouldn't be possible with current CNC machining.

They print metal through a "lost wax" process.

The part is printed in plastic.

The plastic is packed in sand or plaster.

Metal is poured, vaporizing the plastic, leaving the metal in its place.

Engine blocks for new cars are cast in this manner, but they use assembled foam rather than printed plastic. It allows castings that could never be machined.

=

There are 3D printers that print directly with metal & lasers, but still really expensive:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/140084-nasa-3d-prints-rocket-parts-with-steel-not-plastic

#53 11 years ago

I think emachineshop is getting mixed with 3d printing in t his thread. I don't think they offer 3d printing. They're just an online machine shop. Their prices are outrageous too.

#54 11 years ago

Their newsletter says they have 3d printing now, but they are, like you said, expensive.

I only brought them up because they have stamping and bending like he asked about.

#55 11 years ago

The saucer coil cover has been updated and is now available to the public:
http://shpws.me/nfCT

I added a 5$ markup to help me recoup the cost of my prototypes. Just so everyone knows, I only get 5$ for each one sold - the rest of the cost is shapeways.

Several materials are available but I've only tested Black Strong & Flexible. It's a matte finish, might be paintable but I'm not sure.

If anyone with a 3D printer wants to try and produce these in quantity at a better rate, please PM me and we'll discuss.

#56 11 years ago

Nice work buddy!

#57 11 years ago

I have a few updates.

The martian armature was the first threaded part I've attempted with 3D printing. While the part worked out, the threads did not print accurately and I needed to tap the armature with an 8-32 tap. Luckily, it tapped very well and received the 8-32 screw perfectly. I chose to print this in coral red because it looks cool - but others may want to print it in stainless steel. Since I haven't actually printed it in stainless, use this at your own risk. It may be difficult to tap.
This part is now up on the shapeways shop: http://shpws.me/ndh3

Another update.. I broke one of the martian brackets. It was printed in black strong & flexible pastic. I basically snapped it off while I was working on the machine. It broke off at the base of the vertical part of the bracket, at the weakest point. I will be filling in this part of the bracket since it's not necessary to retain the original configuration of the bracket. If this was printed in stainless (which it can be) it may have been ok, but in plastic it's too weak.

2013-02-06_09-54-00_571.jpg2013-02-06_09-54-00_571.jpg 2013-02-06_09-54-51_171.jpg2013-02-06_09-54-51_171.jpg

#58 11 years ago

This is ground breaking work. Someday some of the IP holders for these games will catch up and we'll be able to have original parts made on demand. Small volume manufacturing is starting to build some serious steam.

#59 11 years ago

Just like auto parts, the simple, "not visible from the outside" parts are not usually protected; or they make some small change or improvement. Who is going to spend the money ($10K) to patent a L bracket?

Even if the parts were patented, those patents are old enough that only a few would still be covered.

AFM was designed in 1993/1994, so if there were any patents on that stuff, there is less than 11 months left, max.

#60 11 years ago

"Someday some of the IP holders for these games will catch up and we'll be able to have original parts made on demand."

I think you mean one day the IP holders will die and hopefully the patents will become public domain.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from Bischt:

I think you mean one day the IP holders will die and hopefully the patents will become public domain.

Even if you die, the patent would go to the next of kin as part of the estate.

But patents only last 20 years and then it's free game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
16,500 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 21.50
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printed-parts-for-afm/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.