DSC01728.JPG
22.jpg
11.jpg
p3-6.GIF
p4-3.GIF
p3-3.GIF
p4-1.GIF
p3-1.GIF
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Just wanted to share this with the community.

A few of the martian brackets for AFM are no longer available online; I decided to try out 3D printing as an alternative. I found an excellent shop online.. their prices are based on the size of the part, making 3D printing ideal for small parts. This is especially ideal for parts that are hidden, and not seriously load bearing.

I have all four martian brackets online as well as the saucer coil cover. I'm working on a prototype for the VUK tube, the alien armature, and the motor bracket.

I've set up this online shop with shapeways. It's convenient and you can get the parts shipped right from the company.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/williecustoms

Update: The coil cover is now available via 3D printing. http://shpws.me/nfCT
Alien armatures are now available: http://shpws.me/ndh3

p3-1.GIFp3-1.GIF

#2 11 years ago

I didn't have a #3 or #4 to copy, so I copied #2 and re-sized appropriately.

p4-1.GIFp4-1.GIF p3-3.GIFp3-3.GIF

#4 11 years ago

Perfect fit, with martian attached.

p4-3.GIFp4-3.GIF p3-6.GIFp3-6.GIF

#5 11 years ago

I highly doubt these are patented, if that's what you're thinking. They also wouldn't be protected under copyright or trademark law.

Nice job, gorgar.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

I highly doubt these are patented, if that's what you're thinking. They also wouldn't be protected under copyright or trademark law.

Nice job, gorgar.

Exactly what I was thinking. Its definitely a good idea, but some of these guys that hold the patents on games can be a bit zealous.

Looks great though.

#7 11 years ago

I wonder if the slight shape differences would be sufficient not have a patent impact?

#8 11 years ago

This is fantastic Gorgar, please keep up the good work. I was wondering about the feasibility of printing replacement pinball parts. Please let us know about your observation regarding long-term durability.

And please put me down for one saucer coil cover!

#9 11 years ago

I have made these by hand out of metal and had to make the sheepsfoot punch for the spade that holds the Martian in place.
Are these plastic or metal?

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Are these plastic or metal?

They are 3D printed so they must be some sort of plastic.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

That is what I figured, if these break from metal fatigue how long will plastic last?

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

That is what I figured, if these break from metal fatigue how long will plastic last?

True, but with these in plastic they are available for replacement.

#13 11 years ago

Excellent work. With that being said I don't see these holding up for long but hope they do.

#14 11 years ago

Some of these printers print in ABS plastic which is fairly strop but at that price just buy a spare of each one.

Good on you gorgar for helping the community.

A cool AC/DC cannon should be done to replace the crappy folded metal one.

#15 11 years ago

It looks like you can choose Stainless Steel at $10

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

I know jack about materials but the specs are here: http://www.shapeways.com/rrstatic/material_docs/mds-strongflex.pdf

#17 11 years ago

The material you are using is just fine. I imagine you will see a long life out of them.

#18 11 years ago

Good work. The more parts floating around the better.

#19 11 years ago

Looks like a Zcorp printer made it. Powdered resin that's made solid by heat from a fine point laser.
Then they dip the part in a superglue like substance to make it more durable.

I just did something similar for Star rollovers, but with ABS. I've have a clearcoated game that accidentally had 2 tabs break off on the roll over. I modeled the stem, and printed it out. Now I just have to snap off the other 3 tabs and glue on the new stem.

#20 11 years ago

This technology is SO cool. And y'all rock for putting the specs together.

#21 11 years ago

It is great this technology is to the point our hobby can benefit from it.
Good work.

#22 11 years ago

Perhaps the 'new MM' thread would benefit from this knowledge. Lots of unobtanium required for that one too.

#23 11 years ago

Nicely done Gorgar. That looks awesome.

Just out of curiosity. How did you get the part scanned in to begin with? Or did you simply use the measurements from the #2 and design it in software?

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

You can 3D-print different metals

At my last job we had a 3D-printer capable of making parts out of steel and titanium.

#25 11 years ago

This has to be one of the most incredible things that I have ever seen to help with pinball restoration or repair! The ability to create NLA parts at a low cost is super important. I have seen one of Gorgars AFM brackets and it kinda resembles ABS. Strong yet flexible. Good choice of material in my opinion. I believe that it will last as long if not longer than the original metal part.
Thanks for leading the way. I think that the possibilities are endless. Great idea and nice job. Wally

#26 11 years ago

3D printing is just getting started. There are all kinds of possibilities that will start to come up as the costs come down. We are very close to being able to duplicate parts on a one-off basis at a reasonable cost.

Here's a video with Jay Leno demonstrating a 3D scanner that he uses to reproduce car parts. This scanner is $3000 and I'm guessing we'll see one or more start to be used in pinball sooner or later.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/extras/nextengines-3d-scanner/

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

Here's a video with Jay Leno demonstrating a 3D scanner that he uses to reproduce car parts. This scanner is $3000 and I'm guessing we'll see one or more start to be used in pinball sooner or later.

I saw that when they produced it.
I am glad the cost is coming down so all of us can benefit from it.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

How did you get the part scanned in to begin with?

Used a digital caliper to measure the #2, and a picture from marco to determine the hole offset.

http://www.marcospecialties.com//images/products/01-14171.2/detail.jpg

They are pretty easy to modify also - so if someone wanted a custom offset or a longer/shorter bracket it would be no problem.

#29 11 years ago

Thanks for setting up the on line shop where everyone can order these NLA parts. Great job drawing the parts. I'm looking forward to seeing the coil cover. Wally

#30 11 years ago

What modeling software did you use?
If you are looking to DIY, there's a great read on the state of the market at http://www.makershed.com/Make_Ultimate_Guide_to_3D_Printing_p/1449357377.htm

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from diaowee:

At my last job we had a 3D-printer capable of making parts out of steel and titanium.

Did you 3D print the metals directly or first make a mould to cast the metal?
Because that seems to be how they do it in Jay Leno's video above.

#32 11 years ago

Excellent idea, you deserve the rewards you get for your entrepreneurship.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

On the Shapeways website, it shows they print the parts, then use the part to cast it in stainless steel.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

Because that seems to be how they do it in Jay Leno's video above.

The parts were made directly, no mold.
The machine made the parts out of metal powder. A thin layer of powder was spread out, and a laser melted/welded the powder. Then a new layer of powder was spread out, and the laser went to work again. This was going on for approx 20 hours to make a 2inch high part. The machine was quite expensive, 1000000usd

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Pablomck:

What modeling software did you use?

I used Solidworks. Google sketchup is a free alternative but I wasn't able to figure it out quickly so I dropped it.

#37 11 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing the coil cover.

Well you're in luck then my friend.

I finished a 1.0 version this morning. I don't have a sample so I designed this by measuring the saucer bracket with the coil and wiring attached. I'm using Kerry Stair's saucer bracket.

The end result has a few differences which I can modify on the next version. The armature hole is smaller and that entire side is angled to match the angle the coil. I omitted the dip on the backside for this version.

It's not exactly like the original.. I can work on getting it closer to the original if it's a major turn-off to people.

Also added the other two martian brackets (upper left, upper right) to the shapeways shop. The coil cover is a bit more expensive ($66) so I might look for alternative shops in the future.

11.jpg11.jpg 22.jpg22.jpg

#38 11 years ago

looks good, you might have it covered, what is the thickness of the coil cover at the corners as the under view shows angular corners and on the outside has a radius - might be getting thin.

great work

#39 11 years ago

that's a good point i'll double check. usually this software barks at you if youre doing something that wont work.

I made the thickness of the walls 0.1 in

1 week later
#40 11 years ago

Coil cover is done and fits great. It turned out almost perfect but I need to make one minor adjustment -- in my pictures and video there are two #8 washers under the front two screws because the plunger hole was just a tad too low. I should be able to update the file and toss this on the shapeways store in a few days. I think it will look good in other colors too!

Here is a really bad video of the coil cover in action:

More pictures here for those who may want to buy one for themselves: http://s1160.beta.photobucket.com/user/gorgar007/library/AFM%20Project/AFM%20Coil%20Cover

DSC01728.JPGDSC01728.JPG DSC01732.JPGDSC01732.JPG DSC01753.JPGDSC01753.JPG

#41 11 years ago

You are bad assed for real!

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

Coil cover is done and fits great. It turned out almost perfect but I need to make one minor adjustment -- in my pictures and video there are two #8 washers under the front two screws because the plunger hole was just a tad too low. I should be able to update the file and toss this on the shapeways store in a few days. I think it will look good in other colors too!
Here is a really bad video of the coil cover in action:
» YouTube video
More pictures here for those who may want to buy one for themselves: http://s1160.beta.photobucket.com/user/gorgar007/library/AFM%20Project/AFM%20Coil%20Cover

Excellent work.

#43 11 years ago

awesome!

#44 11 years ago

It looks incredible.

#45 11 years ago

nice improvements..

#46 11 years ago

Excellent job.
Nice, clean, 100%.

#47 11 years ago

Absolutely brilliant gorgar, great work! It was a matter of time for us to head down this path but I'm glad to see we have already started. With the new materials becoming available in 3D printing and increased competition for pricing of printing, I think this is the start of an entire shift in the community. If part designs continue to get released by developers we could get to the point where almost any part on a playfield is available for printing. Plastics are one thing and clearly we are there, but when we are able to print out those custom steel subway parts, complex brackets, stainless ramp flaps and hole protectors, etc, it is really going to be exciting. Over time this should drive down the cost of maintaining our machines significantly and make finding all those obscure parts a lot less of a headache.

#48 11 years ago

Will, great job! Wally

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from jrobinso99:

when we are able to print out those custom steel subway parts, complex brackets, stainless ramp flaps and hole protectors, etc, it is really going to be exciting.

http://www.emachineshop.com/

That time is already here.

#50 11 years ago

These guys are printing metal? Metal printing would allow complex parts to be made that wouldn't be possible with current CNC machining.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 21.50
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-printed-parts-for-afm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.