• Latest reply 8 years ago by pinwiztom
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN7670.JPG
DSCN7669.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jjpm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I'm putting the finishing touches on a Williams Top Hand I picked up not too long ago. This is the add a ball version of Full House. One of the main problems with this particular machine, which is a relatively well documented design flaw is that the 3D Playfield plastic that goes over the 3 playfield card score reels is made of a very thin and flimsy plastic instead of the much sturdier plastic used on their standard playfield plastics (which, IMO is much better than what Gottlieb was using in the same era).

My 3D Piece does not have the usual burn spots common to these, but is missing some pieces and has some warping that I'll probably try to reshape. See pictures:

Front SideFront SideBack SideBack Side

One of the reasons these have not done well is that there are 4 lamps under it. 2 of these have the white lamp sleeves.

Do the lamp sleeves add extra heat under this type of playfield plastic, or is the warping/dark spots common to these a result of the warmer bulbs used in 60s machines? If so, should I forgo replacing the sleeves? I usually try to restore to original as much as possible, but I do not want to destroy this piece further. Alternatively, would it look stupid if I put 4 LEDs under this piece? I'm not a fan of LEDs in EMs, but this is a special situation.
What should I do to keep this plastic from deteriorating further? I noticed some of the paint is starting to separate/lift from the plastic.
Does anyone know of a person/business that vacuformed these or has NOS of these? The run of these machines was over 5000, so I'm guessing someone out there might have done this at some point (no, PBresource does not have these; I asked).
Any advice on restoring this piece, opinions on what you'd do in my shoes is appreciated here. I really suck at vacuforming and the piece I have is in warped, so making a template would be pretty difficult.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I am a fan of LED's, but can appreciate the crowd that doesn't like, as much as I wish the same crowd could do the opposite.
Having said that, there are tons of options for "as close to incandescent" out there, and in situations such as this, or with real BG's in machines that are turned on for extended periods where I really feel the only decision is finding an LED option that is the best.

What would be your recommendation for close to incandescent LEDs?

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Might want to consider getting a reel plastic from pinball rescue Australia
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Slot_Reel_Cover.html
to use as a back up plastic or at least a template to repair your original
or make a new one with the correct artwork.

Just sent them an email. Thank you for that link. I had no idea they did a slot reel cover.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jjpm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-playfield-plastic-advice-needed?tu=jjpm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.