bon voyage spinner 2 (resized).jpg
bon vorage spinner 1 (resized).jpg
G02 Gate Spinner 5b (resized).jpg
Untitlfyujerthd (resized).jpg
Untitlerthd (resized).jpg
TOM_R28_out (resized).jpg
TOM_R28 (resized).jpg
TOM_R27s_out (resized).jpg
There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 7 years ago

Coming along..
TOM_R15 (resized).jpgTOM_R15 (resized).jpg

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

It shouldn't make a difference if you apply the map before or after. Did you apply "uvwmap" to it?

I still need to do some more work to figure out how to work uvwmap. But one odd thing is that if I just use a standard material for wood, it seems to go on there fine. It is only with the arch and design material that I get that weird effect. So I just have some standard wood on there for now and it is OK, and I have moved on to other things which I will report on. I have a loooonnnnnggg way to to go yet before I am even close to a whole playfield (let alone the whole machine) but I am making progress little bits at time and learning the 3ds software.

#103 7 years ago

Let me know next time you are modeling maybe we could do Teamviewer. Could be fun.

#104 7 years ago

OK sounds good, but you probably would be bored. I spend a lot of time trying dumb things and throwing everything out and starting over Then looking stuff up on the internet or going back to the tutorials. Very slowly I am picking up the software. I also have to squeeze this goof-off time in between all the other stuff I have to do which doesn't leave me much time.

I have been doing some work on inserts. Bon Voyage has a number of plain white inserts and then a number of inserts that have letters on them. I came up with an insert material that seemed to work pretty well, it has the right amount of transparency so it looks real when unlit but then looks nice when lit from below, just like real life. Some of these 3/4" inserts are just sort of floating there on the left waiting to be used.

For the letter inserts, after some experimentation it seemed the best way to do it was to make a separate object which is basically a very thin cylinder which is mapped with a bitmap for the letter. The bitmap is a png file with transparency so that when it is lit it will let the light through. So its basically just like a decal. This is placed just on top of the insert and those 2 together make the insert.

It looks like I got a little sloppy doing the cutouts in the playfield art and made the holes a bit big. I think I can fix the black outlines by making some decals, just like in real life.

In this test, I have made the B insert and the O insert and put them into place. The B is lit from below with the standard bulb, and the O is not lit. It looks about right so next I will finish all of the inserts and set them in place, then it will be on to more playfield stuff. I still need to make all sorts of stuff like the spinning gate, rollover wires, guide wires, targets, rebound switches, light shields, flippers, and all of the plastics.

bon voyage insert test 1 (resized).jpgbon voyage insert test 1 (resized).jpg

The "real thing" for comparison. Looks like I could up the light intensity of the bulb under the insert a fair amount to make it match closer. And maybe add some transparency to the letter itself.

bon voyage insert test 1-real (resized).jpgbon voyage insert test 1-real (resized).jpg

#105 7 years ago

The letter decals were made in Photoshop. I tried to use the text object in 3ds, but I could not find any way to make the black stroke on the orange letters, something that is easy to do in Photoshop.

Also, I made these at actual size. Every single thing is done to actual size, as you have advised before. But I knew this already from working with Sketchup. If you always are thinking in terms of real-life scale it is much easier when it comes time to put things together. Things will fall right into place as you expect.

Some examples of the letter decals.

letter B (resized).pngletter B (resized).pngletter O (resized).pngletter O (resized).pngletter N (resized).pngletter N (resized).png

letters BON (resized).pngletters BON (resized).pngletters VOY (resized).pngletters VOY (resized).pngletters AGE (resized).pngletters AGE (resized).png

#106 7 years ago

Yea the transparrency looks spot on. I think your there maybe warm up the lights a bit and it looks the same as the pic, add some camera blur too Texture maps look great, i always ddread having to mess around in Photoshop too long but yea that looks great. I still have to do the playfield mapping and hole boleen op's.

#107 7 years ago

Some pcb's i'm working on. Have to do something while this beast render's.

GIDSepcb (resized).jpgGIDSepcb (resized).jpg
GIDSpcb (resized).jpgGIDSpcb (resized).jpg
SOBpcb (resized).jpgSOBpcb (resized).jpg
14344305_10207323757356694_3234697920163890112_n (resized).jpg14344305_10207323757356694_3234697920163890112_n (resized).jpg

#108 7 years ago

It can be a little overwhelming if you dare stop to think about how much work it takes but also, the more tables you make the more parts you have but even still. I have so many thing to model yet, the truck, Tiger saw, gates ramp switches, wires, speaker panel, playfield inserts. I actuall think i have them already... From TAF

#109 7 years ago

love your work 3rdaxis, well done

The Pinball Arcade needs to hire you to prep tables for them so much more realistic

#110 7 years ago

Thanks mate Yea unfortunately i don't think that's something Farsight studios is really interested in. They need to brush up on getting the most out of that DX11 engine

#111 7 years ago

Ramps about done..

TOM_R16p_out (resized).jpgTOM_R16p_out (resized).jpg

#112 7 years ago

TOM_R17_out (resized).jpgTOM_R17_out (resized).jpg

#113 7 years ago

The shooter rod is attached to the playfield?

#114 7 years ago

Yes, it was an unfortunate schmelting accident.

#115 7 years ago

Got insert building down, and made the full set for Bon Voyage. All stacked up and ready to install.

bon voyage inserts (resized).jpgbon voyage inserts (resized).jpg

Playfield test with all the inserts installed, a few are lit from below, and also made "decals" to fix the black keylines. I need to use more caution next time when processing the 2D playfield art - I cut the holes too big. Starting to get into some serious render times now, even with a pretty hefty i7 PC.

bon voyage insert test 4 (resized).jpgbon voyage insert test 4 (resized).jpg

#116 7 years ago

Nice. your right on track. I always take the time to get the playfield right it makes everything so much easier later down the line. But keep in mind that there is going to be a lot of geometry so keep it light. I made that mistake all the time when i first started modeling. I wanted everything to look amazing not realizing that you wouldn't notice any of it.

#117 7 years ago

I see what you are saying. I am working my way through all of the parts as a modeling exercise. But I think the real killer when doing a pinball machine is the lighting. If you are rendering with mental ray with final gather turned on you will get the really cool images. But the more lights you turn on the more overhead you get. That is just the nature of it. I have a feeling that a full playfield with all of the GI lamps turned on plus insert lighting will take a really long time to render out.

#118 7 years ago

Star rollover buttons....more low-lying fruit. These were easy thanks to the star spline in 3ds max.

rollover buttons star 2 (resized).jpgrollover buttons star 2 (resized).jpg

#119 7 years ago

TOM_R18_out (resized).jpgTOM_R18_out (resized).jpg

TOM_R18w_out (resized).jpgTOM_R18w_out (resized).jpg

#120 7 years ago

If somebody could scan the aliens of the Big Bang Bar to print them in 3D would be great!

You just need one as both are the same, just different colors.

#121 7 years ago

A good friend of mine has a BBB but never lets anyone near it. I can ask next time i see him but doubtful.

#122 7 years ago

The ramp looks great! I have a long way to go before I will be able to make something like that.

#123 7 years ago

Thanks brother. Its not as hard as you think once you know one or two techniques. Loft is key for ramps, wireforms(habitrails) and metal walls. I highly recommend learning it and all its options.

#124 7 years ago

TOM_R19_out (resized).jpgTOM_R19_out (resized).jpg

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from PinBertl:

If somebody could scan the aliens of the Big Bang Bar to print them in 3D would be great!

Doubt the model would be that clean, but maybe a good starting point if you could export the model from future pinball (or at least do a camera walk around to see the detail)

#126 7 years ago

You would be better making a silicone mold of it and casting it out of resign. But you would need the piece itself which if 3d modeling i would need anyway.

#128 7 years ago

The TOM thread is looking good, I would like to keep this one going as a catchall about 3D modeling if that is OK, and to continue with my learning efforts.

My next piece was a rebound switch. It wasn't really necessary to make the bottom part since only the blades will show on the playfield and I don't plan on modeling everything on the underside - that sounds like a path to madness. But I made most of it anyway because it was easy enough.

rebound switch (resized).jpgrebound switch (resized).jpg

Here is a new rendering of the playfield, now with all of the inserts, the star rollovers, the rebound switches, all of the posts in position. Its starting to look somewhat interesting now.

bon voyage playfield 4 (resized).jpgbon voyage playfield 4 (resized).jpg

#129 7 years ago

Dude that looks great! Tell me this isn't fun?

#130 7 years ago

looking great, well done

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

You would be better making a silicone mold of it and casting it out of resign. But you would need the piece itself which if 3d modeling i would need anyway.

Isn't it possible to make a 3D scan? So there would be no fear to damage the alien.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from PinBertl:

Isn't it possible to make a 3D scan? So there would be no fear to damage the alien.

Every 3d scanner i've tried to use hasn't worked out well for me. 123D software from Autodesk as some software i tried and it was just a mess. I'm sure there are scanners out there that work better i just don't have access to them. Using the alien to make a mold wouldn't harm it though, and you would get a really good piece the same way they make them from the factory more or less.

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

123D software from Autodesk as some software i tried and it was just a mess

It works slightly better than it used to, but in general you end up with very jagged surfaces (with lots of holes). There is more professional photogrammetry software out there, but it's not free (and takes lots of time and processing power). Ideally you want to wait for tango devices to come out. Uses dual cameras to triangulate and create a map of distance. The first tango phone is by lenovo, here's a demo:

#134 7 years ago

But what kind of scanner they use when they scan your head and laser them in these glass cubes?

This is popular and cheap, you have them in some shopping malls. It only takes few time and the results are nice.

I think the question is, if they can generate a file which can be used for 3D printers.

#135 7 years ago

I would guess they are .stl format or at least .obj

#136 7 years ago
Quoted from PinBertl:

But what kind of scanner they use when they scan your head and laser them in these glass cubes?

I've never seen those.. I would imagine they are also using photogrammetry, but just capturing point cloud data (dots in the air) since the laser is only going to be burning effectively tiny bubbles inside the glass.

professional white light scanners have come down in price (down to about $30k from $120k), but the good ones are still expensive.

Here's what a good laser scanner and software like geomagic can scan in realtime:

The software is also capable of combining multiple scans (for a better base mesh model), but then it also has automatic tools for filling in holes, it'll even create planes and create native features to recreate a model based on the surfaces:

#137 7 years ago

Thats some Buck Rogers shit right there

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

Dude that looks great! Tell me this isn't fun?

Yes, been having fun, I know I already said it but doing a pinball machine is a great way to learn 3d modeling. So many different things to make, different shapes, different materials, and all sorts of lighting. Thanks for that tutorial on lofting too, that was good stuff and I used that to make a metal post that was hanging out on the playfield.

I have been busy making new stuff, including the kickers, targets, rollover switch wires, and guide wires. Here is the latest rendering. I have all of the posts properly in place, the rubbers, the inserts, the kickers, the rebound switches, the targets, star rollover buttons, rollover switch wires, wire guide rails, the captive ball, and all of the lamps are in place. I turned all the lamps off except one for this one to keep the render times down.

I also cleaned up the file and organized everything into layers and made sure all of the naming for the objects is organized and logical. This is a must because there are are already hundreds of objects and it will be a giant confusing mess if everything is just named willy-nilly.

Still got a lot to do to finish the playfield - pop bumpers, spinner, the ball hole, flippers, then all of the plastics and finally the side rails and aprons.

bon voyage playfield 6 (resized).jpgbon voyage playfield 6 (resized).jpg

#139 7 years ago

Nice, Its going to really start coming together once you get the plastics done. I can't wait to see it all lit up. Looks like you have Lofting down. Great tool. Bevel profile is another one i use for plastics and the Lathe tool for Pop bumpers. Took a break on the TOM for a view days but getting back into it now. On the trunk and its turning into a lot more work then i originally thought.

#140 7 years ago

This is all done with editpoly. Great tool but lots of work.

TOM_R11c (resized).jpgTOM_R11c (resized).jpg

#141 7 years ago

Its really cool that sometimes i notice a feature of a pert that isn't used in the current game that leads me down this path of figuring out what they had planned differently. Take the ramps on TOM for instence... The upp ramp has a cutout on the left side that is now covered up with a small piece of plastic. This must be for a feature thatthey took out of the game was was to late to re-tool to update the part. I notice a lot of little things like that while building these table and i think thats pretty cool. During my research for Theater of Magic i came across some old photo's of what look like the origianal whitwoods. It was so different.

109 (resized).jpg109 (resized).jpg

110 (resized).jpg110 (resized).jpg

#142 7 years ago

I think the cutout in the upper ramp was probably for the hand holding the wand in the abover picture. I would guess it moved in some manner, i'll have to look under the playfield to see if any location holes were punched to hold that assembly.

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from 3rdaxis:

Its really cool that sometimes i notice a feature of a pert that isn't used in the current game that leads me down this path of figuring out what they had planned differently. Take the ramps on TOM for instence... The upp ramp has a cutout on the left side that is now covered up with a small piece of plastic. This must be for a feature thatthey took out of the game was was to late to re-tool to update the part. I notice a lot of little things like that while building these table and i think thats pretty cool. During my research for Theater of Magic i came across some old photo's of what look like the origianal whitwoods. It was so different.

Interesting.. different right ramp, TV to replace the mirror on the back? David copperfield on the left (John has said many times this was the original licensed theme they wanted to do). The 2nd photo isn't TOM, it's pinball magic by capcom.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

The 2nd photo isn't TOM, it's pinball magic by capcom.

Really? I can see the magnet and stand up targets are the same, plastic piece, and markings on the playfield, plus the captive "tigersaw" ball?

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

David copperfield

I didn't even see that. Probably better off without the likeness.

#146 7 years ago

Thats better...

TOM_R27s (resized).jpgTOM_R27s (resized).jpg

TOM_R27s_out (resized).jpgTOM_R27s_out (resized).jpg

#147 7 years ago

TOM_R28 (resized).jpgTOM_R28 (resized).jpg

#148 7 years ago

TOM_R28_out (resized).jpgTOM_R28_out (resized).jpg

#149 7 years ago

Untitlerthd (resized).jpgUntitlerthd (resized).jpg

Untitlfyujerthd (resized).jpgUntitlfyujerthd (resized).jpg

#150 7 years ago

2nd pic might be TOM afterall looking at pinball magic now. It would seem they had to get rid of the wand so it didn't look like Williams was copying

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 168 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-pinball-models/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.