3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by cabuford
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

projector (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I know many on this site have seen these devices (photo included). They are "fans" with LED lights on them that project images that you can load videos into. I believe that one or more of the mod guys on here intended to sell one with a lot of work done for you (product, videos, mounting, integration into pinball games etc). Personally I only want one on the wall of my gameroom so paying extra for all the pinball integration isn't a value to me. I also like the idea of making my own video clips for it as a project.

I've seen so many on eBay and aliexpress with an average US shipped price of $100 (it varies up or down depending on a few factors). I'm not sure the best "brand" one to get but for that price I'll just grab one and mess around with it. The biggest risk I see is that it takes forever to ship and if it doesn't work you can get your money back but you'd be out 1-2-3 months time because that's how long it takes to ship/receive. I've also had 2 different aliexpress purchases never arrive and while I always get my money back they force you to wait 60 days to make the claim. This is a side project so I'm happy to take the risk of time.

I've noticed that the software on most of these lets you either (a) use your phone to upload new images and play with the settings or (b) use software on your PC to change the SD card and move files that way. I'm only interested in (b) as doing stuff on a PC is way better than relying on a (potentially poorly coded) phone app and wifi connection to a cheap device.

I started this thread to ask the following:

1. What products have people bought from eBay/aliexpress? What has your experience been?

2. I noticed some are advertised as new and "brighter" with more LEDs. That seems like it could be a bad thing to me. I don't want it to be a giant beam of light in the middle of my gameroom. Anyone try the brighter one? Better? Worse?

3. Any thoughts on best way to mount these to a wall? Some appear to come with a bracket and some do not. I'm thinking of mounting it above "stuff" in my gameroom so I can hide the power cord better.

4. Experiences with the software/uploading?

5. What software are you using to cut short video clips?

DISCUSS!

projector (resized).jpgprojector (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

RANDOM YOUTUBE VIDEO showing what the technology does:

#3 3 years ago

I bought this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083ZVQ8FC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00 off of Amazon. $95 shipped. Works fine. It's loud. I was using Quicktime to cut up clips, but noticed they weren't really cutting in the right spot, so switched to Final Cut Pro. Upload is quick if you take out the card and stick it in your computer. The WiFi upload is a bit slower.

#4 3 years ago

Yep, LOUD is the word there. Enough to be annoying and turn it into a dust holder.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from adol75:

Yep, LOUD is the word there. Enough to be annoying and turn it into a dust holder.

That was my next question... how loud is loud? Given your answer to that question it sounds like maybe this isn't such a great idea after all! [ouch, no pun intended!]

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

That was my next question... how loud is loud? Given your answer to that question it sounds like maybe this isn't such a great idea after all! [ouch, no pun intended!]

I must say I am biased. I was at CES the year that thing was revealed they had 20 of them on a metal frame and my legendary luck knocked again and got me the booth right next to theird.

It's loud like those big fans that are not enclosed, the pales are heavy and the engine turns fast.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

I mean it's got some volume, but it's not like you're watching a movie in your arcade. It is at least a constant sound, which doesn't bother me too much. If I'm playing a game it's really not terribly noticeable. Fun for under $100. I need to put some more videos on mine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-holographic-projector-display-fan-hologram-cool-gameroom-stuff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.