(Topic ID: 203305)

3d Design/Print help needed. Any pros here?

By Duke-

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Wolfmarsh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cura (resized).jpeg
46DD5943-BD50-4D60-A4D9-E2CA930F878A (resized).jpeg
74DBDAC5-5166-46E1-A9A1-F0CCCABC63F9 (resized).jpeg
C38CB2B6-6E72-4303-9064-634B8BCD78C3 (resized).jpeg
C1201FF1-74A0-4A4B-BD5A-4882B906D86B (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have a 3d file in trying to make print ready. It’s close but I’m having trouble with a few aspects of it. Some of the details won’t print. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Send me a PM and I’ll share the file with you. If it’s a time consuming project I’ll happily compensate you for your time.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

PM sent

#3 6 years ago

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

#4 6 years ago

What resolution are you printing ? Are you printing PLA-ABS-Nylon......... Are you using an external duct work to cool the plastic down.

For PLA. I usually run 200 on nozzel, and 60 on bed .

#5 6 years ago

C1201FF1-74A0-4A4B-BD5A-4882B906D86B (resized).jpegC1201FF1-74A0-4A4B-BD5A-4882B906D86B (resized).jpeg

C38CB2B6-6E72-4303-9064-634B8BCD78C3 (resized).jpegC38CB2B6-6E72-4303-9064-634B8BCD78C3 (resized).jpeg

74DBDAC5-5166-46E1-A9A1-F0CCCABC63F9 (resized).jpeg74DBDAC5-5166-46E1-A9A1-F0CCCABC63F9 (resized).jpeg

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

What resolution are you printing ? Are you printing PLA-ABS-Nylon......... Are you using an external duct work to cool the plastic down.
For PLA. I usually run 200 on nozzel, and 60 on bed .

I’ve tried .1 and .2 with pla and the same temps your using. It’s not a 3d printer issue(I think). It’s a problem with the file. The banner below the shield has empty space under it causing problems and the leaves don’t print right. Also the shield in the center seems barely attached although it holds on fine. When I put it through a slicer it wants to put little supports under the edge of the shield. Im kind of stuck on this project. I’m hoping to find someone who knows how to get this print ready.

#7 6 years ago

Pm sent.

#8 6 years ago

I just printed this rose for my wife ..... no supports.

See how nice and smooth the layers are.

Could be the actual file sux.

Don’t know code just printing and using a simple design maker with CURA as the slicer

46DD5943-BD50-4D60-A4D9-E2CA930F878A (resized).jpeg46DD5943-BD50-4D60-A4D9-E2CA930F878A (resized).jpeg

#9 6 years ago

PM me a link and I can take a look also

Did you try opening the gcode file and view How the slices look?

I have a Prusa MK2S

#10 6 years ago

Pm me your email address and I’ll send it. Where can I post it that will give me a link for people to view?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Duke-:

I’ve tried .1 and .2 with pla and the same temps your using. It’s not a 3d printer issue(I think). It’s a problem with the file. The banner below the shield has empty space under it causing problems and the leaves don’t print right. Also the shield in the center seems barely attached although it holds on fine. When I put it through a slicer it wants to put little supports under the edge of the shield. Im kind of stuck on this project. I’m hoping to find someone who knows how to get this print ready.

Why not just do 100% fill and make it a solid medallion?

#12 6 years ago

I looked at the file and PM'd Duke, but ill post it here also. The lettering was just too small to be printed by an FDM printer. His nozzle is .4mm which creates lines wider than the lettering. I tried in the slicer to put it down to a .1 nozzle with .05 layer height and there is still not enough resolution to print the lettering.

Here is what the slicing looks like with a .1mm nozzle and .05mm layer height

cura (resized).jpegcura (resized).jpeg

#13 6 years ago

Thanks for looking magicsmoke. That’s a real bummer though. Any ideas on how it can be altered so it’s printable and it still looks nice? Maybe instead of raised letters the letters can be cutout or a recess in the banner? How would I give this part faces so I can edit it? Push, pull, extrude, etc? As of now when I put it in 123design I can only click on the whole object so it’s not possible to tweak small parts of it.
Still learning, Duke-

#14 6 years ago

123design won’t let you edit it that way unfortunately. A couple of open source apps that may let you edit that way are meshmixer and meshlab. To get full control you really need to create the file from scratch.i would recommend fusion360 it’s a paid program but it is free for hobbyists.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from MagicSmoke:

123design won’t let you edit it that way unfortunately. A couple of open source apps that may let you edit that way are meshmixer and meshlab. To get full control you really need to create the file from scratch.i would recommend fusion360 it’s a paid program but it is free for hobbyists.

recreating this from scratch is way beyond my skill set. I appreciate you help though. At least now I know why I was having trouble. Do you know if any 3d printing services can do this job?

#16 6 years ago

Ive never used any of those services so i dont know what resolution they would be able to achieve. Your best bet is something called sla printing 3dhubs.com offers this, but i cant vouch for the resolution. A cnc machine may be better at creating somehting like this.
What are you using this for? Can it be scaled larger for your application? Does it need the small lettering? if it can be scaled for your project what is the largest size that is acceptable?

#17 6 years ago

Shapeways.com uses SLS printers that could probably handle the detail.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3d-designprint-help-needed-any-pros-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.