2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 2 years ago

I got my first anxiety attack at 19 years old and has to be hospitalized for a short spell. Really got them bad in my 20s and 30's. Finally wised up and changed my diet and what I was drinking, and it helped immensely. The only time I get full blown ones now is when I fly - and I do take Lorazepam, but that is a last resort due to what it does to my body.

Only thing I can recommend is eat well, exercise, and try yoga/guided meditation. Yoga REALLY helps with your breathing and how to control it and your body. It's amazing what you can do with your autonomic system. Good luck.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I feel for anyone who’s suffering through panic attacks, because it’s almost impossible to describe to someone who hasn’t lived with them.

It is difficult to explain it. To me, if feels like you are going to die, heart attack or something related. You literally are jumping out of your skin. It's a horrible feeling.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I have been taking 30mg citalopram daily for probably the last 10-15 years. I'm sure it helps because I have been mostly free of panic attacks, but they still occasionally happen. I think seasonal changes have an affect too.
Rob

I don't know that drug, I took Xanax when it was out of control. When I learned how these drugs worked - I strived to only take it when it is absolutely necessary. Once I changed my diet, limited alcohol, and started to exercise hard, they almost disappeared. I had been tested for everything else, I literally remember the last few and I would just yell at myself "there is nothing physically wrong with me - it's in my head"....

That worked as well. I know people who are on Xanax every day - how they function I have no idea.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I saw a lot of bullshit “tell me about your childhood” therapists early on. Then I found a psychologist who was a Vietnam vet who had beaten PTSD. The tools for PTSD are very similar to those for panic attacks. I feel lucky to have found him.

Wow - this reminds me of the only time I saw a therapist. I was just prescribed Xanax for the first time and I had to go see him, as it was required. So I go and see this guy, he tells me to start talking of my childhood. I do so, and he says my problem is I have a lot of "separation" in my life and that is what is causing my attacks. What a crock of shit.

Quoted from loneacer:

I get 2mg, but I just take like 1/4 of a pill at a time. Keeps me from having to go back to the doctor for refills too often. I keep them at home, work, and in the car. Just knowing they are at hand has kept me from full blown attacks for 10-15 years now. I take daily generic Zoloft too.
I was always a skinny guy, but when I started getting attacks I had a hard time swallowing food. I went from 135 lbs down to 115 before going to the Dr. Those drugs shot me up to 175 within about a year.

I caried my Xanax with me for 15 years - just so I had it with me JUST IN CASE. All in all, I think I've taken it maybe 30 times in my life. Again - now I use it for flying, but on my trip next week - I'm going to not take it. I'd rather fight through it than take Xanax.

The last few years when I did take it for flying, I really had memory loss - which is a side effect. Not good.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Funny .. I had a bunch of tests a few years ago …
They read the results and when they got to Vitamin D they said … and I quote … “wow, that’s worse than Lisa’s Mum who lives in the rest home! She’s 100!” Lol
I’ve come to the conclusion that some people can’t process vitamins and minerals from food the same as others can. We eat really well (rarely any junk food) and all my test results are always crap. Doesn’t matter what probiotics I take, seems to make no difference.
(Yes, I know D comes from the sun …).
rd

Vitamin D is very very important. Everyone should get their levels taken.

It basically is the infrastructure of all the chemical interactions in our body. It also has shown that people with lower levels have shorter lifespans.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from plovis:

No matter how many times I've gone through it, just telling myself its in my head doesn't cut it (although I have yelled that at myself as someone else stated, totally get that). Anyway, appreciate seeing these stories from everyone.

For me, this works as I think my body starts to "get it" and while it progresses, I'm not as afraid about it.

I agree that eating healthy and exercise helps a lot, as does self guided meditation.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Methos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3am-panic-attacks-suck?tu=Methos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.