New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 261414)

36th Annual Pinball Expo 2020 Now Virtual TONIGHT 10/14

By dmacy

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by dmarston
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200903_232149 (resized).jpg
    2E7A8BE9-F459-4A13-9512-AEF4E4BEC073 (resized).jpeg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 months ago

First time headed there with some friends as we just booked rooms at the Westin. We fly in Wednesday afternoon and planning to take the Stern tour and hopefully get to the PL open house while there.

Who else is going? What’s some must haves to see for first timers?

2 weeks later
    #2 8 months ago

Ordered the tickets: http://www.pinballexpo.com/ticketinfo.html

I went with Advanced Admission package which apparently includes a welcoming party and the Stern tour.

This is the schedule:

WEDNESDAY,
    OCTOBER 14TH
    Registration 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm

Vendor Halls and Game Hall are CLOSED due to set-up

Wednesday's highlights include the FREE Bumper Blast Welcoming Party for our registered attendees.

THURSDAY,
    OCTOBER 15TH
    Registration 8:00 am - 11:00 pm (Daily Admission $30.00)

Vendor Halls 6:00 pm - 11:00 pm

Game Hall 6:00 pm - 2:00 am (8 hours)

Thursday's highlights include the Stern Pinball Factory Tour and the VIP Welcoming Party (4:30 pm – 6:00 pm) for our Vendors, Speakers, Volunteers, Staff, and those who bring games to play.

FRIDAY,
    OCTOBER 16TH
    Registration 8:00 am - 11:00 pm (Daily Admission $30.00)

Vendor Halls 4:00 pm - 11:00 pm

Game Hall NOON Friday thru 2:00 am Sunday

Friday's highlights include Seminars and Tournaments.

SATURDAY,
    OCTOBER 17TH
    Registration 9:00 am - 11:00 pm (Daily Admission $35.00)

Vendor Halls 10:00 am - 11:00 pm

Game Hall continues until 2:00 am Sunday

Daily admission wristbands change at 9:30 am Saturday and are valid thru 2:00 am Sun (16 1/2 hours)

Saturday's highlights include Autograph Session and Stern Pinball Machine Drawing.

SUNDAY,
    OCTOBER 18TH
    Flip Out Tournament Finals and Pinball Expo 2019 Officially Closes at 4:00 pm

Pinball Expo Closed

#3 8 months ago

Taking a serious look at going to expo this year for the first time, as a vendor. So I'll be following this closely.

-Hans

2 months later
    #4 5 months ago

According to Illinois Governor Pritzker, there will be no conventions in Illinois until a Vaccine is found and approved. Obviously a vaccine will NOT be available by October 2020. I will not be making plans for an Expo this year in Illinois.

4 weeks later
    #5 4 months ago

Damn, all this time off and nowhere to go.
    Im looking at going for the first time.
    Hope this happens. This could be the reveal event of the year!

#6 4 months ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Hope this happens.

I would put it at less than 1%. Per the Illinois reopening plan, conventions are only allowed in phase 5, which is defined as "vaccine or highly effective treatment widely available or the elimination of any new cases over a sustained period." At this point the question is, will there be a 2021 Expo?

#7 4 months ago

There should be a vaccine or several vaccines by December if the phase 3 clinical trials fare well (latest report). October is too soon unfortunately.

Quoted from yancy:

I would put it at less than 1%. Per the Illinois reopening plan, conventions are only allowed in phase 5, which is defined as "vaccine or highly effective treatment widely available or the elimination of any new cases over a sustained period." At this point the question is, will there be a 2021 Expo?

#8 4 months ago

Looks like they posted an update last week. They still are looking to try to hold this in 2020, not sure how that can happen but I wish them luck!

http://www.pinballexpo.net/

#9 4 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

So your saying I shouldn't bother booking a room? I know the odds are against this event. Oct is still 4 months away. A lot could go bad by then to boot.

#10 4 months ago

Yeah no looking good but still keeping room for now since I already had reserved long ago.

#11 4 months ago

So your saying I shouldn't bother booking a room? I know the odds are against this event. Oct is still 4 months away. A lot could go bad by then to boot.

I will be as well . You can cancel with no issues.

#12 4 months ago

So your saying I shouldn't bother booking a room?

You can always cancel. It's a freeroll, book away.

#13 4 months ago

So Terry at Pinballlife isn't doing an open house this year?
    I wonder about tours of Stern, AP and JJP factory's as well?
    Would kind of be the whole reason i come out and risk getting in a cigar tube for a flight.
    Still hopeful.

#14 4 months ago

Yesterday for me was a sad day, I cancelled my room( waiting for the refund)

1 week later
    #15 4 months ago

Expo emailed a questionnaire today. For those who aren't on the list:

I would like to provide an update on the status of the 36th annual Pinball Expo to be held October 14th-18th, 2020 at the Westin Hotel in Wheeling, IL. The possibility of having our annual event seems to be increasing week to week. The hotel has been firm on my responsibility to have the event providing the Governor of Illinois lifts the ban on large social gatherings.

Illinois is currently in phase 4 of a 5-phase program. If and when the governor decides that the state has reached phase 5, or the conditions warrant lifting the ban on large gatherings, Pinball Expo will take place.

Our staff has been planning for changes and modifications at this year’s Pinball Expo in order to comply with all state and local requirements. We have significant obstacles to overcome, including social distancing, cleaning of the machines, and much more. We are confident with your support, we will be able to provide a fun-filled, family-friendly event that will be safe for all involved.

In order to prepare for the Expo, we ask for your feedback to the questionnaire below:

[link removed]

Alternatively, if you'd prefer to respond to me directly please feel free to email me at brkpinball@gmail.com

Sincerely,

Robert Berk
    Founder and Chairman

#16 4 months ago

FWIW, here's how I answered the survey.

Q: What precautions would make you feel safe in attending Pinball Expo?
    A: Strict, and I mean STRICT mask policy. Mask over mouth AND nose. No pulling it down to talk, no eating or drinking indoors. No mask no entry, period.

#17 4 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

A: Strict, and I mean STRICT mask policy. Mask over mouth AND nose. No pulling it down to talk, no eating or drinking indoors. No mask no entry, period.

Wishful thinking but never going to happen. Who is going to enforce it at the Expo? Pinball has always been lacking with regards to hygiene and I can't imagine pinheads following those rules. Even now I see lots of people in public not even wearing masks.

#18 4 months ago

You're probably right. I might reluctantly miss Expo for the first time in 20 years.

#19 4 months ago

IMO It's better do 2 pinball expo (Feb-Oct) next year. It's not possible feel safe this year.

#20 4 months ago

Hauling multiple games in, setting them up, then wanting to play games and converse with your friends all while wearing a mask for 6, 7, plus hours . Not sure I could handle a mask that long....and to think no Bumper Blast party

#21 4 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Rub a lamp man. Who in the hell would police something like that? If you are that afraid, stay home.

#22 4 months ago
    Quoted from legendpin:

IMO It's better do 2 pinball expo (Feb-Oct) next year. It's not possible feel safe this year.

Right, but it seems his contract for the Westin is in full force if the State of Illinois moves to stage 5 of opening businesses and crowd sizes.

#23 4 months ago

Plus this year is the last year at the Westin, unless something changed .

#24 4 months ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

If you are that afraid, stay home.

I'm not afraid for myself. I catch the "expo flu" just about every year (granted this would probably be worse). Just trying to put the welfare of society as a whole above the miniscule personal inconvenience of wearing a mask. Crazy, I know.

"Stay home" doesn't lend itself to expo running profitably, if at all.

#25 4 months ago

Anyway, feel free to submit your own survey response with an american flag waving behind a bald eagle tearing a mask in its beak.

#26 4 months ago

Yancy or some Illinoisian please clarify: does "stage 5" mean the end of all restrictions? Or is it the last stage BEFORE the end of all restrictions?
    .................David Marston

#27 4 months ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

does "stage 5" mean the end of all restrictions? Or is it the last stage BEFORE the end of all restrictions?

Phase 5 – Illinois Restored:

What it means: With a vaccine or highly effective treatment widely available or the elimination of any new cases over a sustained period, the economy fully reopens with safety precautions continuing.

When it begins: The only way Phase 5 will begin is with a vaccine, or a widely available and highly effective treatment, or with the elimination of any new cases over a sustained period.

What's allowed: Conventions, festivals and large events are permitted, and all businesses, schools, and places of recreation are open.

Restrictions: New safety guidance and procedures will be in place reflecting the lessons learned during the COVID-19 pandemic.

LTG : )

#28 4 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Phase 5 – Illinois Restored:
    What it means: With a vaccine or highly effective treatment widely available or the elimination of any new cases over a sustained period, the economy fully reopens with safety precautions continuing.
    When it begins: The only way Phase 5 will begin is with a vaccine, or a widely available and highly effective treatment, or with the elimination of any new cases over a sustained period.
    What's allowed: Conventions, festivals and large events are permitted, and all businesses, schools, and places of recreation are open.
    Restrictions: New safety guidance and procedures will be in place reflecting the lessons learned during the COVID-19 pandemic.
    LTG : )

So what all that means is, unless magical fairies flutter down from heaven in the next couple of months with a practical and effective cure for this disease there is no way they can make Phase 5 by October. "Phase 4" will last for years.

#29 4 months ago
    Quoted from viper001:

So what all that means is, unless magical fairies flutter down from heaven in the next couple of months with a practical and effective cure for this disease there is no way they can make Phase 5 by October. "Phase 4" will last for years.

If us pinheads burn an offering to the magical vaccine fairies (say like 1 or 2 Thunderbirds pinball machines), I wonder if we could speed this along?

#30 4 months ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

If us pinheads burn an offering to the magical vaccine fairies (say like 1 or 2 Thunderbirds pinball machines), I wonder if we could speed this along?

You'd probably have to offer something of value...

#31 4 months ago

hell im ready to set up games. but the mask policy will suck for sure. but what ever

#32 4 months ago
    Quoted from viper001:

"Phase 4" will last for years.

Or at least until the election in November.

#33 4 months ago

Pinball Expo website now has the poll on it regarding safety issues for the show.
    I sent mine in.

#34 4 months ago
    Quoted from chad:

Pinball Expo website now has the poll on it regarding safety issues for the show.
    I sent mine in.

Thanks for sharing. Just submitted.

#35 3 months ago

was so looking forward to this show, for me a once in a lifetime event!
    Had flights from UK booked, event hotel & tickets booked, connecting flights booked
    now Norwegian Airlines has cancelled my UK to JFK flights!
    I'm now in two minds about going. Would still love to attend but it won't just won't be what I was looking forward to based on previous show videos etc
    maybe another year

#36 3 months ago

Oh yeah give me that minty fresh out of the laboratory vaccine baby! Then I'll feel safe and we can have Expo!

#37 3 months ago

No way will there be an expo this year.

Too bad that orange haired buffoon screwed this up so bad that we can't even travel to Canada or Europe to attend anything either, they won't have us.

#38 3 months ago

Just filled out the quick survey, it's super short. Be sure to check it out.

#39 3 months ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Just filled out the quick survey, it's super short. Be sure to check it out.

Not much of a survey.
    My deal is that if there is no pinballife party or factory tours this year I would skip event.
    Whole point of Hotel and plane money is to see stuff Ive never seen before. Also, from a far the Thursday night stuff seems like a waste of time this year.

#40 3 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Too bad that orange haired buffoon screwed this up so bad that we can't even travel to Canada or Europe to attend anything either, they won't have us.

Don't worry, I'm sure sleepy Joe will save the day.

1 month later
    #41 58 days ago

Not much of a surprise.

2E7A8BE9-F459-4A13-9512-AEF4E4BEC073 (resized).jpeg
    #42 58 days ago

Well I’m looking forward to expo this year. Short travel down a flight of stairs and nobody will care if I didn’t shower that morning.

#43 57 days ago

Yep get that vaccine, can't wait.

IMG_20200903_232149 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #44 17 days ago

Don't forget tonight at 6pm CST it kicks off!

#45 17 days ago

*whew* barely finished my video late last night!

I didn't get started until Sunday morning and wasn't able to work on it Monday... and had never used Adobe Premiere before. BUT I worked with Vegas back in the mid-2000's and a lot of it carried over.

Hope y'all enjoy! I think it'll be on tonight.

#46 17 days ago

I only found out about the virtual show today due to the recent posts. I would suggest modifying the Topic name to give the dates / "hey it starts tonight" to get more advertisement. Or start a whole new thread altogether.

#47 17 days ago

Is there a program schedule available?

#49 17 days ago

Beware: the schedule says "Eastern Standard Time" but I suspect they mean Eastern Daylight Time, which is currently in effect in the USA. I have asked Dave Fix to clarify.
    .................David Marston

#50 17 days ago

Glad you said something. I just assumed everything was in central time, because umm, Expo.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - Other
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 48.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 52.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 3.00
    Cabinet Parts
    BK Pinball
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 29.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside