Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Bendit
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

$3,500 to spend on my second pin ever. Have a Williams hurricane and was thinking of trying to get something more recent. Thanks for the suggestions in advance.

#2 4 years ago

Maybe stretch the budget a couple bucks and find a routed Metallica or Kiss Pro.

Not sure, it’s a in-between price in my opinion.

#3 4 years ago

Shadooww

#4 4 years ago

good luck finding a kiss pro. those never come up. i've been looking for quite a while.

#5 4 years ago

you wont find a metallica or a kiss pro for $3500

#6 4 years ago

ill have a nice getaway shopped out in st. louis in a few days. no fade on cabinet. its on marketplace, but shopped with led's now

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

you wont find a metallica or a kiss pro for $3500

That’s why I prefaced it with stretch the budget just a bit.

There was recently a kiss Pro up in MA recently for $4100 and a Met Pro about the same but both routed.

They are out there, just need patience!

#8 4 years ago

$3500 and under-here’s a few ideas..
    Demolition man
    Shadow
    Fish tales
    Jurassic Park
    Getaway
    Whirlwind
    Nba Fastbreak
    World Cup soccer
    Revenge from mars

#9 4 years ago

Shadow’s a great pick.

Doctor Who as well.

#10 4 years ago

Tommy isn’t a bad option

#11 4 years ago

Indy 500
    Shadow
    Road Show
    World Cup Soccer
    Getaway HSII

Indy 500 is a fantastic pin, a great bang for the buck!!

#12 4 years ago

T2 maybe or would this be a bit more?

#13 4 years ago

If you are looking for a deep game, WPT is a great option.

#14 4 years ago

I would also say bump that budget up a bit and get a Ripley's or Metallica.

#15 4 years ago
    #16 4 years ago

Avatar pro, never really did anything for me but people have good things to say about it.

#17 4 years ago

$3500 and newer

Roller Coaster Tycoon
    Monopoly
    Austin Powers (lol)
    WWE pro (bit of a stretch)
    WPT

Newer isn’t necessarily better tho. Maybe think about

Black Rose and any EM
    No Fear
    BSD
    Tales from the Crypt

Many more.

#18 4 years ago

Being a newb myself I can throw my 2cents in as I’m heading down the same road!!

How about:

FT
    EATPM
    RS
    HSII
    JP

#19 4 years ago

1. Shadow
    2. Whirlwind
    3. Getaway

Indy500 - dont pop up very often

#20 4 years ago

1. Monopoly
    2. Austin powers
    3. Lethal weapon 3

#21 4 years ago

Both pins in my collection:

Getaway, like many have said
    Jurassic Park, DE game which many criticize, but I find it fun, challenging, and lots to mod

#22 4 years ago

I'd go World Cup Soccer or NBA Fast Break. Both of those would be what I'd look for if I was in the market for a new one.

Also surprised to see JP on that list. Year or two ago everyone was bitching and moaning that it's not worth over $2500. Mine's worth much more than that though.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Psw757:

That’s why I prefaced it with stretch the budget just a bit.
    There was recently a kiss Pro up in MA recently for $4100 and a Met Pro about the same but both routed.
    They are out there, just need patience!

Yup I grabbed a routed MET for $3900 about 6 weeks ago

#25 4 years ago

you can find in really great shape, an Xmen, which plays like new, with new soundtrack, or even Ripleys...seen a few of both.
    (to me, both play like Premiums today)
    Shadow, a little older, for just being as good as it is!

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

you can find in really great shape, an Xmen, which plays like new, with new soundtrack, or even Ripleys...seen a few of both.
    (to me, both play like Premiums today)
    Shadow, a little older, for just being as good as it is!

Totally agree on both...but I think it'd be a little harder to find an X-Men for $3500 or under. RBION and XM are both fantastic values for what you get compared to today's games and pricing.

#27 4 years ago

Congo is a good one. Maybe it’s crept a little higher than $3500

#28 4 years ago

Highspeed Getaway II is a good one. Junk yard is a sleeper.

#29 4 years ago

Lower than your price range but Pinbot and Taxi are wicked fun games.

#30 4 years ago

Find a few places with games. Make a trip to Chicago if you need to find places. Your in a good range. Find what you like and be patient. The right game will come along. Maybe something like t2 catches your eye and you save a few bucks or you really like Ghostbusters and decide it's worth waiting a few months to save up another grand.

#31 4 years ago

A Fish Tales sold for $2600 and an Indy 500 sold for $3300 at a recent show in CA. Your budget is plenty to get a great pin so long as you steer clear of price gougers.

#32 4 years ago

I really appreciate all the feedback. I probably overpaid on my first go around and didn’t exercise the patience in finding the “right one”. The guy had 3 pins that were shopped out and I picked (Star Wars episode I and comet were my other options for full disclosure). All of them had previously been routed. I’m learning as I go as we all do/did.

From what I’ve read on this thread I’ve gathered the following:

1. Go out and play a bunch of pins to see what I really like.
    2. Be patient and use the time that comes with the patience to increase the budget a little.
    3. I’m intrigued by X-Men

Thanks again

#33 4 years ago

Another vote for Shadow. Just a fun pin.

If you can find a Metallica for 4k, I'd do that too.

#34 4 years ago

Big buck hunter is a good Bang for your buck

#35 4 years ago

RBION is by far the pick of the bunch. I have no mode based games and really miss this game!
    You need at least one challenging pin and not just bashers

#36 4 years ago

T2
    Getaway
    Whirlwind

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from golfingdad1:

T2
    Getaway
    Whirlwind

When did these become $3500 games? Seems more like mid to upper 2k’s to me.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Big buck hunter is a good Bang for your buck

lol

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from kermit24:

Congo is a good one. Maybe it’s crept a little higher than $3500

Just saw one listed for 3600

#40 4 years ago

Fish Tales
    Jurassic Park
    Dr. Who
    Johnny Nmeonic
    baywatch

All great bang for buck

#41 4 years ago

So many good games out there that can still be had for under $3500....but most of those are going to be pretty simple by today's standards....not necessarily a bad thing. Those with more complicated rulesets or really cool toys/gimmicks, tend to fetch a premium that pushes you above that threshold. The exceptions tend to be games that, frankly, are price restricted by bad art/translites or niche themes. Give those a serious look if you want to stick within your range.

Good examples, within your price range, all day every day.:

BSD:. Dark and moody. Excellent theme integration.
    Great gimmick (Mist), 3 different multiballs. Scares the sh&$ out of little kids.

Shadow:. Sanctum lock is cool....but tough to find a machine without Sanctum wear. Ability to divert balls on ramps on the fly. Upper playfield. Translite sucks but has the best alternate translite/art package ever made, which can easily be had.

Dr Who: Cool motorized mini playfield. Good topper. Ability to choose a doctor to play as, each with different advantages. Looks really good with LED conversion.

Johnny Mnemonic:. Plays fast. One of the all time best wizard modes (Powerdown). Midnight madness. The glove and matrix ball lock is a cool feature. Art package totally sucks.

Ripley's believe it or not:. Probably on the border of your price range. But super complicated/deep rulesets and that machine has everything but the kitchen sink in it.

#42 4 years ago

Forgot Road Show....

Widebody with a lot to do. 2 talking heads (like Rudy in funhouse). Shaker motor (at least, the ones I've played). Again, theme and art drag this down in price

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from cmack750:

Forgot Road Show....
    Widebody with a lot to do. 2 talking heads (like Rudy in funhouse). Shaker motor (at least, the ones I've played). Again, theme and art drag this down in price

There is a road show on pinside for 3k right now. Could be an option...

#44 4 years ago

If you do “$3500 or under” in your price point that is the way to go. $3500 is a tough price point stuck in between solid BW choices below it and a ton of choices in the $4500 huo stern pro range.

As mentioned, but $3500 or under, WCS, BSD, Getaway, TS are my favs. Limited Sterns but RBION fits into the mid $3k category.

If you can reach $4500 you can easily add another dozen top Stern pro titles into the mix. Maybe bag your lunch and make you coffee at home to reach that point?

#45 4 years ago

Do you like Addams Family or Stern Star Wars more?

If Addams:
    Last Action Hero (and change)
    Jurassic Park
    Roller Coaster Tycoon
    Dirty Harry
    Ripley's Believe It Or Not
    Monopoly
    Johnny Mnemonic
    Shadow
    World Poker Tour

If Stern Star Wars
    World Cup Soccer 94
    Fish Tales
    Demolition Man
    Terminator 2
    Terminator 3
    High Speed 2

#46 4 years ago

Currently driving home with a nice Baywatch and think it is quite possibly the best bang for your buck right now and has been for some time. Throw in a color DMD and maybe a new translite, if your not a fan of the giant Hasselhoff, and you’ve got a yourself a keeper. Personally, don’t buy a big house if can’t afford the furniture in it.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from ruralcollector:

Currently driving home with a nice Baywatch and think it is quite possibly the best bang for your buck right now and has been for some time. Throw in a color DMD and maybe a new translite, if your not a fan of the giant Hasselhoff, and you’ve got a yourself a keeper. Personally, don’t buy a big house if can’t afford the furniture in it.

I'd second Baywatch for sure, I love mine and it's packed with ramps and a pretty unique way to start the modes. Plus Chad's code really balances out a lot of the scoring.

As far as stuff that hasn't been mentioned, NASCAR is often overlooked because of the theme, but its a really fun game with 10 modes, a few multiballs, and two wizard modes. I'm also a huge Judge Dredd fan and had been after one for a loooooong time and finally got one.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from cmack750:

So many good games out there that can still be had for under $3500....but most of those are going to be pretty simple by today's standards....not necessarily a bad thing. Those with more complicated rulesets or really cool toys/gimmicks, tend to fetch a premium that pushes you above that threshold. The exceptions tend to be games that, frankly, are price restricted by bad art/translites or niche themes. Give those a serious look if you want to stick within your range.
    Good examples, within your price range, all day every day.:
    BSD:. Dark and moody. Excellent theme integration.
    Great gimmick (Mist), 3 different multiballs. Scares the sh&$ out of little kids.
    Shadow:. Sanctum lock is cool....but tough to find a machine without Sanctum wear. Ability to divert balls on ramps on the fly. Upper playfield. Translite sucks but has the best alternate translite/art package ever made, which can easily be had.
    Dr Who: Cool motorized mini playfield. Good topper. Ability to choose a doctor to play as, each with different advantages. Looks really good with LED conversion.
    Johnny Mnemonic:. Plays fast. One of the all time best wizard modes (Powerdown). Midnight madness. The glove and matrix ball lock is a cool feature. Art package totally sucks.
    Ripley's believe it or not:. Probably on the border of your price range. But super complicated/deep rulesets and that machine has everything but the kitchen sink in it.

What he said...

#49 4 years ago

Another vote for RBION, can be found for 3,500

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

When did these become $3500 games? Seems more like mid to upper 2k’s to me.

Exactly,
    well within his budget. Why spend more on lesser machines .

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3500-bang-for-the-buck-second-pin?hl=hockeymag8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.