• Latest reply 10 years ago by boneman91
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

rec.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Superchicken.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 10 years ago

First, even with the power switch off, assume there is 120 vac on this board so unplug the game from the wall before working on it. I’m guessing your transformer is fine. Try unpluging the big connector (J3) on the rectifier board. If the fuse blows, you most likely have a shorted diode at CR1, CR2,CR3 or CR4.

#7 10 years ago

Cheers. Like barakandl said, generally start where the power comes from and work your way up the power train. Transformers almost never break.

#9 10 years ago

The rectifier is pretty straight forward and the schematic is not complicated.

Quoted from boneman91:Speaking of Transformers, mine looks like the paper wrapping is starting to loosen up or separate a little. Is that a problem, or something to be expected after 30 years?
And unlike my Williams with a separate rectifier, the diodes were soldered into the board and were unrecognizable to me as a rectifier. I was impressed you knew this and the diodes' designations. Is this standard in older Sterns?
Thanks again for your help!

Sounds like a typical transformer. The rectifier is pretty straight forward and the schematic is not complicated. They use 4 diodes instead of a bridge. Here is what it looks like on the schematic.
rec.JPGrec.JPG

Pretty much all of the classic Sterns have manual and schematics posted on IPDB:
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1580

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Superchicken.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/34-amp-fuse-blowing-on-meteor?tu=Superchicken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.