Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Samwerm
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

What thing(s) might cause the 30v hold relay to deenergize after a few misc targets are hit??

#2 6 years ago

If you have low coil resistance on some coil in the game it can stress the transformer enough to cause the hold/lock coil to de-energize Long enough for the self hold switch to open, making the game go dark. Or some sort of wacky short on coil power could also do this

#3 6 years ago

I once saw this happen on a game which was missing one of the chime coil plungers. Without the plunger, the coil would draw excessive current momentarily, which pulled down the transformer enough to allow the hold relay to drop out. Installing the plunger fixed the problem.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

If you have low coil resistance on some coil in the game it can stress the transformer enough to cause the hold/lock coil to de-energize Long enough for the self hold switch to open, making the game go dark. Or some sort of wacky short on coil power could also do this

Ok that makes sense! Player 1 relay has a buzz when targets are hit. I'll check the resistance. Thanks!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Not the hold/lock coil, but I had this very thing happen recently with my Atlantis.

I installed two of PBR's yellow dot bumper coils in the game. Immediately, the P relay, which holds on to light the standup targets on the right side of the playfield, would drop out as soon as a bumper coil fired. The slings or flippers didn't cause it, just a bumper hit. I was sure I didn't do anything else during the installation, but nothing I checked would fix it. Finally, I just put the old coils back in and the problem went away.

Those yellow dots measured 1.5 ohms. The original coils measured 2.7 ohms. When you figure it, those coils caused the amps pulled by them to nearly double, and I guess that was enough to cause that coil on the P relay to let go.

I have since done the mod where you take a few turns off a bumper coil for a different game, but I measured the resistance along the way and kept it to about 2.2 ohms. Enough to give the game some extra kick, but not enough to possibly have issues like I had with Atlantis.

So, now I have 3 yellow dot bumper coils I don't want. Anyone want them? I'll send them to you for the cost and free shipping.

2 weeks later
#6 6 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Not the hold/lock coil, but I had this very thing happen recently with my Atlantis.
I installed two of PBR's yellow dot bumper coils in the game. Immediately, the P relay, which holds on to light the standup targets on the right side of the playfield, would drop out as soon as a bumper coil fired. The slings or flippers didn't cause it, just a bumper hit. I was sure I didn't do anything else during the installation, but nothing I checked would fix it. Finally, I just put the old coils back in and the problem went away.
Those yellow dots measured 1.5 ohms. The original coils measured 2.7 ohms. When you figure it, those coils caused the amps pulled by them to nearly double, and I guess that was enough to cause that coil on the P relay to let go.
I have since done the mod where you take a few turns off a bumper coil for a different game, but I measured the resistance along the way and kept it to about 2.2 ohms. Enough to give the game some extra kick, but not enough to possibly have issues like I had with Atlantis.
So, now I have 3 yellow dot bumper coils I don't want. Anyone want them? I'll send them to you for the cost and free shipping.

Just noticed you're from KC as well! I finally had time to get that issue resolved. It was just a few bad wire connections. But now I'm stumped again on the last issue it has. The balls played unit isn't stepping enough times to advance to the next ball played. It needs to step 4 but only steps 3. I've read the schematic but still don't understand how it knows how many times to pulse the unit and why it falls short

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/30v-hold-relay-dropout-gottlieb-1961 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.