Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
Scanned Document 2018-03-09 11-46-01 (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
argosy-schematics.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 6 years ago

Hey all — like the title says, I've got an Argosy where the 30k pt relay stays energized once it's activated. I'm about as far as I can go with understanding the schematics, so I figured I'd reach out here.

Just double-checked the 30k Relay Lock switch on stack #5 in the score motor and it looks like it's adjusted properly, so I'm not sure what else could be causing the issue.

Anyone have an idea what I should look at next?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from duanesmallman:

Anyone have an idea what I should look at next?

Scan the schematic and get it to us here, by email, or on IPDB.

#3 6 years ago

Hey, thanks for the reply! Apologies for the wait, it took me a bit to figure out the best way to scan these (please forgive any weirdness that Photoshop's auto-stitcher may have caused).

Hope this helps!

argosy-schematics.pdfargosy-schematics.pdf

#4 6 years ago

The best way to get your schematic scanned is take it to Staples and spend $2.

Until then, if the 30,000 point relay stays energized when you activate it with your finger, there are 2 circuits that can make it hold.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely remember that.

A couple questions if you don't mind. Am I right in thinking that:

- The "5-C" and "3-C" notations in your diagram refer to the locations of the switches on the the schematic
- Looking at the switch referenced in "3-C", that means I should check the "Motor run" switch on the Index stack of the score motor
- Looking at the switch referenced in "5-C", that means I should check the "Reset Relay Lock" switch on the Index stack of the score motor
- If those look like they are working correctly, it's potentially an issue that I need to trace back from the No. 2 relay?

Looking at the No. 2 relay, it looks like it's energized by the target reset relay (these diagrams are in the instruction manual on ipdb)— but if I activate the 30k relay manually the target reset relay wouldn't be a part of that circuit, right? And that would mean it would have to be one of those switches in the Index stack?

Scanned Document 2018-03-09 11-46-01 (resized).pngScanned Document 2018-03-09 11-46-01 (resized).png

#6 6 years ago

Am I right in thinking that:
- The "5-C" and "3-C" notations in your diagram refer to the locations of the switches on the the schematic
- Looking at the switch referenced in "3-C", that means I should check the "Motor run" switch on the Index stack of the score motor
- Looking at the switch referenced in "5-C", that means I should check the "Reset Relay Lock" switch on the Index stack of the score motor

Yes, but I look for circles and ovals to identify motor switches, and always check wire colors.

- If those look like they are working correctly, it's potentially an issue that I need to trace back from the No. 2 relay?

Switches looking like they're working correctly isn't enough. (1) the long blade must move the short blade under game conditions, and (2) there must be a small but visible gap between the contact points when not connected.

Also, the best way to disgnose most EM problems is with Alligator clip jumper wires.

#7 6 years ago

Looking at the switch referenced in "3-C", that means I should check the "Motor run" switch

Just for clarity: Motor run sw. would be written as Index-E. When you see 3-C, 5-C, etc. it means score motor switches, then refer to the chart that HowardR shows.

#8 6 years ago

Got it! I quadruple-checked the score motor switches in question and everything was in order, so I turned my attention to the 30k relay and voila: one of the wires was partially delaminated from the switch lug. Reattached it and everything's good.

Thanks so much for walking through it with me!

Ok, one last gremlin for you:

During a game, when any of the slingshots activate (left, right, or top), the 10pt solenoid on the score reel will periodically stay energized. This happens to all 4 players.

I've cleaned and adjusted the slingshot switches and the EOS switches on the score reels, as well as cleaned the spoons on the bridge rectifier, but the issue persists. It seems like this is something that's happening further down the line.

Any ideas?

#9 6 years ago

when any of the slingshots activate (left, right, or top), the 10pt solenoid on the score reel will periodically stay energized.

If the 10 Point relay stays energized, it has to be one of these circuits. Put paper in between the contacts to see which one.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/30k-pt-relay-sticking-on-argosy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.