(Topic ID: 290367)

30 Gallon Compressor ok for HVLP - cabinet painting?

By Dono

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dono
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4806DBF8-5DBB-49F7-A348-067B58F7983A (resized).jpeg
    4522C90C-5325-4CC3-B344-F8FF4390C7BD (resized).jpeg
    little beaver (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dono.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Thinking about getting this dual HVLP sprayer kit below; been using a pancake compressor with a detail gun but that setup throws paint everywhere and I have to start and stop constantly. With these HVLP sprayers, I know they require a lot of air, so looking at the CFM requirements of the main gun - 6.5@30 and then reviewing a bevy of 30 gallon compressors, it seems they can't quite meet this demand. Does that mean I'd have to go to a 60 gallon setup, or could I get by with a 30 gallon setup? Anyone have any thoughts or have a 30 gallon compressor/HVLP setup that can chime in? I don't have any other needs of this compressor, other than painting cabs, with a maximum of about 3 cabs/year.

https://www.eastwood.com/concours-pro-2-paint-gun-and-accessory-kit.html

#2 3 years ago

Wow, no one has a 30 gallon compressor/HVLP setup? What's everyone using to paint their cabs with?

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Charger68:

Those hvlp guns sound great but in reality in order to get the paint to flow, pressure should be 35 - 40 psig. 30 gal probably wont keep up unless its a two stage pump

Seems to me you could paint one side of a cabinet before needing to stop to let the compressor catch up? Maybe not for the thicker primer but for thinned lacquer I would think with a lower CFM HVLP sprayer like the one I linked to through Eastwood this would work. I just can't justify a 100 gallon setup in my garage, since I only do one or two repaints a year, and wouldn't be using it for much else.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Charger68:

Sounds like you've answered you own question

Wrong... it's an assumption. I'm not going to buy anything based on that. looking for some real advise to confirm or deny from folks painting pins, not painting cars or trucks.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yeah you could probably do a side at a time and let the tank fill again before moving on to the next side. Main thing you don’t want to happen is a pressure drop in the middle of spraying. Clear is shot at the highest pressure, primer and base coat are shot a lower pressure than the clear. I have an 80 gallon compressor and I can put a coat of paint a cabinet without the motor kicking in at all.

Makes total sense... can I ask what compressor brand and do you like it/would you have gone with something else if u had to do it over again... seems there's a lot of selection options, at a lot of price points.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from rufessor:

I have a 220v Quincy compressor with 30 gallon tank on a single stage pump (1.5 hp if I remember, not more) with an after-cooler. I can and do spray cabinets and playfields all the time. I have a touch up panel gun (devilbiss sir pro spot repair) which is perfect for the size of a pinball cabinet or playfield. I have zero issues spraying. It can be done, but I spent a lot of time researching my gun and compressor, I also do not run a production shop and am happy to finish a side and wait 1 min to start the next to give the compressor time if I need to- high quality finishes are way more dependent upon you knowing your equipment and setting it up right. Far more dependent on that than an ability to hold a trigger down forever.

Thanks for the info; That's one of the lower-based CFM sprayers I've seen; another one close to that is the Concours Pro touch up gun offered by Eastwood; most of the HVLP guns are 6.0 and up with the ability to spray larger spray patterns. Seems like 9" maximum on your gun would be fie for cabs/playfields.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dono.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/30-gallon-compressor-ok-for-hvlp-cabinet-painting?tu=Dono and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.