IMG_0713.JPG
IMG_0739.JPG
IMG_0710.JPG
IMG_0745.JPG
IMG_0707.JPG
IMG_0736.JPG
IMG_0737.JPG
#1 11 years ago

This is my 4th pin and I'm learning so much from Pinside guys and gals. Thank You! Guy I bought pin from wanted a tank of gas for the machine. Glad he drove an old VW Rabbit. 30 dollars to fill tank and away I went. I stripped play field, A little magic eraser. Repainted score windows. I will post before and after pictures in a bit. Now to the inside of machine. Fixed some broken fuse holders and started cleaning contacts. There are some cut wires on the "over the top relay". Not sure what I should do? Why would someone cut that wire. As you can see in picture there are two little green wires cut coming off the back of relay. The coin door also has cut wires as you can see in pictures and that little green wire shows up again near the new game button. I'm all ears. Thank You

IMG_0738.JPGIMG_0738.JPG IMG_0725.JPGIMG_0725.JPG IMG_0735.JPGIMG_0735.JPG IMG_0736.JPGIMG_0736.JPG IMG_0737.JPGIMG_0737.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Good pick up, for a song! Are all the rest of the coil wrappers dark like the over the top one? If not, could indicate a 'cooked' coil, maybe why it was cut. Obviously the right thing to do is find out why it overheated, solve that problem, then replace the coil (if in fact it is cooked) At least one of those wires (little green one?) didn't look like 'factory'(perhaps a hack start bypass?). I'm not really versed in Bally EMs. This thread should move over there and others will chime in.
Good Luck!

#3 11 years ago

I posted to EM Hangout. Little green wire is not factory. I can check coil with meter correct? The coin door confuses me. I just want to put everything back together again. white and blue wire to white and blue wire etc.

#4 11 years ago

Check that bulb. Normally the delay circuit should run a 455 flasher. That looks like a 44. I think that could cause the coil to cook

Yeah resplice the wire on the over the top. The little green wires are problematic

Check the current bally coin door thread for the door
lots of good info

Do you have a schematic?

-jeff

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

heck that bulb. Normally the delay circuit should run a 455 flasher. That looks like a 44.

Good call Jeff.

Ken

#6 11 years ago

I'll try change out that bulb and resplice. Can't read schematic yet. Still learning. Was just reading that coin door thread.

#7 11 years ago

That coil looks cooked by the delay lamp. I would measure the resistance before hooking up the coil. The over the top relay closes and is held closed by the blinker 455 lamp to ring the bell for the closure duration.

I would remove the green wire. It looks like a way to add credits.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Check that bulb. Normally the delay circuit should run a 455 flasher. That looks like a 44. I think that could cause the coil to cook
Yeah resplice the wire on the over the top. The little green wires are problematic
Check the current bally coin door thread for the door
lots of good info
Do you have a schematic?
-jeff

Listen to Jeff. I've seen him work and he knows his stuff. He fixed my Nip It for me. Plus he is brave enough to tackle a Bingo

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

That coil looks cooked by the delay lamp.

When I have a coil that looks like that I don't even bother with the DMM as I just figure it is fried or about to go out so I will just buy a new one or use a good used one and replace.

Jeff is the man! and Bingo is his game-o!

Ken

#10 11 years ago

Shit dont make me the bingo guy. Pinball-Muggle is the bingo guy round these parts.

Happy to help when i can

Schertz we still need to get your players working properly...

Now back to Alladin!

-- Jeff

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Shit dont make me the bingo guy.

Quoted from way2wyrd:

Now back to Alladin!

Love that artwork!

It's like "I Dream of Jeannie" but with size 44 triple D's!

Ken

#12 11 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll replace the coil and resplice. Would you guys start putting all the same colored wires back together on the coin door. would love to use start button on
this machine. No way with all these wires cut, There is a blue/orange and a white/orange wires cut.

IMG_0736.JPGIMG_0736.JPG

#13 11 years ago

If it were my machine I would go to IPDB (Internet Pinball Database) and look at pictures of the Coin door for Aladdin' Castle and other Bally machines with the same type of Coin door made that same year for comparisons to find out if any parts are missing in between those cut wires (like a coil, slam switch, etc) and that will take a lot of guess work out of what your next step is.

Ken

#14 11 years ago

I know you are looking for repair advice, but I am dying to see what the rest of the machine looks like. Good luck with getting it up and running!

#15 11 years ago

Hey pinz-in, if you're not the type to lose sleep thinking about it tonight (like I am) I can shoot a picture of our Aladdin's Castle coin door tomorrow afternoon when I go back to my studio. Might be evening time out your way by the time I'd have it.

Art.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Normally the delay circuit should run a 455 flasher.

My Qb has one of those^^^^ Good eye way2wyrd

*From Pin Wiki :
http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Delay_Relay

4.2.4 Delay Relay

Bally delay relay
Bally used a special relay in the 1970s to provide a time delay circuit. The delay relay uses a #455 flasher lamp in the lock-in circuit to generate the time delay. The lamp is in series with the normally open lock-in switch. When the relay is energized, the lock-in switch closes and the lamp lights. When the lamp filament heats up and the lamp flashes off for the first time, the open circuit releases the relay.
The flasher lamp is required for correct operation of the delay relay. Using a standard lamp will result in the relay locking on once it is energized. If the lamp is missing or burned out the relay will fail to lock-in, resulting in the relay energizing momentarily and no time delay. Note that the 6.5V lamp is powered by the 50V coil voltage in this circuit, so the delay is shorter than the normal flash delay. If the delay is too short or too long, the Bally game manual recommends experimenting with different #455 lamps until the desired delay time is achieved.
The picture to the right shows the delay relay from the "Over The Top" buzzer circuit on a 1976 Bally "Hokus Pokus" game. The #455 lamp is pointed out in red. ( for photo go to website ^^ listed above)

Bally delay circuit
The following circuit diagram shows the control for the delay relay as used in the "Hokus Pokus" Over-The-Top circuit. The right two circuit legs are the enable circuits for player 1 and player 2 respectively. The relay is energized when the "9th position" switch on the player's 10,000 point score reel is closed and the end-of-stroke switch closes. That is, when the score rolls over from 90,000 to zero. The left circuit leg is then enabled by the normally open switch on the delay relay itself, lighting the time delay lamp.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from pinz-in:

As you can see in picture there are two little green wires cut coming off the back of relay.

Maybe someone wired a different buzzer with those wires ? As some " over the top " circuits would have them. (^explained above^) Previous post.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

It's like "I Dream of Jeannie" but with size 44 triple D's!

Yeah buddy!

#19 11 years ago

Thanks guys. Calling Steve at PBR on Monday to order coil for over the top delay. Art I would love to see some picture of that coin door. I have some before and after pictures. still in progress. Thank God for Magic Eraser, Never Dull and Mean Green.

IMG_0707.JPGIMG_0707.JPG IMG_0745.JPGIMG_0745.JPG IMG_0710.JPGIMG_0710.JPG IMG_0739.JPGIMG_0739.JPG IMG_0713.JPGIMG_0713.JPG IMG_0740.JPGIMG_0740.JPG

#20 11 years ago

$30 Dollars out of shed. And one order from PBR already for $92.75. another order going in on Monday. New to this sport and loving it.

IMG_0746.JPGIMG_0746.JPG IMG_0747.JPGIMG_0747.JPG IMG_0709.JPGIMG_0709.JPG

#21 11 years ago

I like the theme of that pin, but I don't care for the dual flippers.

This is what keeps me from playing this, capt. Fantastic, Harlem globtrotters, etc.

It's a shame because I like the theme of all those pins!

Great score, btw, I like the rest of your collection, too.

#22 11 years ago

Hey pinz-in, that's is in great shape! Much nicer than ours, and I believe we paid more than $30. Yup, yup we did pay more than $30! Anyhow, I shot some pics of my coin door for you today, I hope they'll help. Oh, and we've got a Skylab as well (the replay version of your Spacelab)

Let me know if you need anything else shot.

Good luck!
Art

CreditSWz.jpgCreditSWz.jpg Coin_SwLock.jpgCoin_SwLock.jpg CoinSwHinge.jpgCoinSwHinge.jpg

#23 11 years ago

Thanks Art. Coin door on mine is mangled. slow and steady wins the race. Going to take my time with this machine. Looks fun.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from pinz-in:

Thank God for Magic Eraser, Never Dull and Mean Green.

I use all 3 myself, great products

Novus 2 comes in handy for the Playfield polishing as well.

Ken

#25 11 years ago

If you add a couple things (bulbs/Novus etc.) to get your oder over $100, Steve takes 10% off , in case you didn't know!

#26 11 years ago

I'll keep that in mind. Ken do you think I should try to put that coin door back the way it should be. That little green wire although very long, is not factory. Why would be hooked up to the new game button?

#27 11 years ago

Cool find, good luck, you will be proud when you get it up and runnin...

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from pinz-in:

I'll keep that in mind. Ken do you think I should try to put that coin door back the way it should be. That little green wire although very long, is not factory. Why would be hooked up to the new game button?

Some will tell you different but I like my Coin Doors fully operational just like back in the day when they were in the arcades, etc. so hooking back wires that original that go to Coin Door Coils, wiring to anti-slam switches, etc get put back they way they were.

I'm very anal about wiring and if someone used a wire that was not the original color I do my best to install the right one using the closet color I can find and will buy a small roll even if I just need a foot of it because I know I will eventually use it again fir another project. I have many different colors and gauges of wire on hand for this very purpose but I do this stuff a lot too.

Ken

#29 11 years ago

Lots of pictures . I'm also going to write down everything I do. I think the pictures Art sent, Will help big time.

#30 11 years ago

Good find. I had a lead on one several years ago, but it sold before I had the chance to go get it.

I was watching the movie Boogie Nights the other day and it was in one of the scenes.

#31 11 years ago

Really going to check out right now. Machine gets to the point! Backglass very pointy playfield very pointy.

#32 11 years ago

Is it just my perverted mind or is there a 'subliminal message' going on with the theme of this pin?

Look at how the genie is sitting on the backglass and the cabinet with the princess playing the flute. Then look at the middle/lower playfield pic of the center bonus multiplier lights, y'know with the squiggly things coming out of the top and the two large blank circles at the bottom by the flippers. It helps if your vision is a bit blurred like mine from having a few too many last night. And having a perverted mind.

Here's something funny if you want to waste a few more minutes of your life:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6629803/aladdins-mistake

#33 11 years ago

Nice find, looks great!

#34 11 years ago

Hey Pinz-in,
As requested, here are the pics of my Over the Top relay wired up. I tried to get all the wires, let me know if something is hard to see, judging by what you posted it should be an easy fix, just make sure you get the right flasher (455) in there. I believe it was mentioned earlier but it definitely bears repeating.
Good luck,
Art.

OTT1.jpgOTT1.jpg OTT2.jpgOTT2.jpg

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

y'know with the squiggly things coming out of the top and the two large blank circles at the bottom by the flippers.

When the same player shoots again lights up. ah hah!

#36 11 years ago

Perfect pictures are great. I may have to call on you again Art at some point. I'll PM you. I have a lot of soldering to do. Cut wires in cab, lamp sockets and that darn coin door.

4 years later
#37 6 years ago

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=dky1RS7u&id=0EB1DDE4967FC11F00202D8F02EC3F65FB6951CE&thid=OIP.dky1RS7uuwkFe9BodZCR7wEsDh&q=chevy+silverado+2006+yellow&simid=607990525525888802&selectedIndex=2&ajaxhist=0

Aladdin's Castle was at a auction that I wanted to go to but the dealer sold the truck that I was looking at to buy. click above

167,000 miles but a little over $3000.00 I'm sure I could have gotten it for less. With luck the Aliddan's Castle also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/30-dollar-aladdins-castle-out-of-someone-shed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.