(Topic ID: 290369)

3 wheel dollies or pinball skates? (Help a noob)

By topper

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Fn4me
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20210321_215210800 (resized).jpg
    sliders (resized).jpg
    63683_I (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Just brought home my first pinball machine (Williams Terminator T2). I'm super excited.

It's going to take some time for me to rearrange the game room to get things just right. And I'm wondering whether these 3 wheel dolly things are a decent way to move a cab around on a level floor.

63683_I (resized).jpg63683_I (resized).jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-wheel-steel-dolly-63683.html

In addition to the T2, I have a 3/4 size virtual pinball machine. After a little initial moving around, I don't anticipate moving them often. So I don't think investing in a hydraulic cart makes sense.

Or do I need some pinball skates? They cost about as much as a hydraulic cart though.

Just want to be sure these 3-wheelers are strong enough to support a pin cab.

Thanks.

#2 3 years ago

I suppose they might work okay on a hard, level floor, with no rugs, cords, concrete seams or other bumpiness.

I just know I had a set and chucked them pretty quick. And getting the game onto them, and off again, is almost as much work as they save.

I also have a pair of pinball skates, but I don't remember the last time I used them!

I use a Harbor Freight lift with a platform I made out of 2x8s. Found the lift at a secondhand store for $35!

#3 3 years ago

Have them and hate them.
    Granted, I was using them on my garage floor which is far from level or obstacle-less.
    Regardless, the small wheel size makes it hard to move and you'll end up putting tension on the legs to get it to move.
    God forbid there's a tiny bump you won't be able to get over it.
    If the floor is uneven they can easily get disconnected and you risk the game falling down on that leg.

I've used the skates once when I was getting a game and was very pleased with how well made they were!

#4 3 years ago

If you have carpet in your game room furniture sliders work good under each leg.

sliders (resized).jpgsliders (resized).jpg
    #5 3 years ago

I use them but not on rugs only hard surface.

I can't say they are the greatest but do the job.

#6 3 years ago

Skates. Definitely skates.

As noted, the 3-wheel dollies slip out from under the legs sometimes. More pain than necessary.

Skates will help you much more. Just be sure to anticipate drilling extra holes in the crossbar. Sometimes the skates do not lock wide enough to accommodate the machine. Having extra holes to "click" on will keep them from slipping out.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from topper:

Just brought home my first pinball machine (Williams Terminator T2). I'm super excited.
    It's going to take some time for me to rearrange the game room to get things just right. And I'm wondering whether these 3 wheel dolly things are a decent way to move a cab around on a level floor.
    [quoted image]
    https://www.harborfreight.com/3-wheel-steel-dolly-63683.html
    In addition to the T2, I have a 3/4 size virtual pinball machine. After a little initial moving around, I don't anticipate moving them often. So I don't think investing in a hydraulic cart makes sense.
    Or do I need some pinball skates? They cost about as much as a hydraulic cart though.
    Just want to be sure these 3-wheelers are strong enough to support a pin cab.
    Thanks.

These things suck. I ended up buying 2 pinball carts, the old Wico ones.
    They come up often enough. If you own 3 games or more I highly recommend buying one. The HF lift table sucks. The mods are okay but it’s still extremely sketchy and the Wico carts are better designed.
    The best would be the PB lifter, I think Bruce made it out in Buffalo

#8 3 years ago

Thanks everyone. I don't think a lift makes much sense for me with just the one machine and a limited time that I expect to be moving things around.

My game room is a converted garage. The floor is covered with those foam, interlocking mats like you sometimes see in a gym. I don't think carpet sliders will work.

Sounds like the 3-wheelies is a bad idea too. Skates would be easier to store than a hydraulic cart, but they cost as much or more.

So I'm not sure what to do.

#9 3 years ago

Get the three wheelers. It’s WAY easier to move a table around by yourself with a pair of those around. Their limitations are many but they let you get the job done in a pinch.

If you have a second person available that will be a better choice almost every time.

It’s a challenge installing them if you’re on the scrawny side. If you can raise the game on your back and still reach both legs to roll them under it works.

I’d prefer Pinskates but for the price the three wheelers are great.

#10 3 years ago

I have owned about 100 pins and moved about 1000 (between shows, friends, helping out others, etc).
    The single best thing to move a pinball are these pinball skates:

https://www.jabetc.com/products/pinball-skates-dolly

The tripod wheels pictured above are ok, but they constantly come off and they don't go over any other surface. If you have carpet, the sliders are fine...but not for anything else. Dollies cause the most damage. The harbor freight lift cart (check the thread here on pinside) is great...but only for moving around inside the house (not up stairs, not over curbs, not on grass, no over thresholds).

#11 3 years ago

for setup... just get a friend or two to come over. No need to spend big money for such a limited task.

#12 3 years ago

Or get the game close to where you want it on a normal dolly, before putting the legs on.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

If you have carpet in your game room furniture sliders work good under each leg.
    [quoted image]

These are what I use. I even have a beat up set for moving on concrete and a nice set for hardwood floors and carpet.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

[quoted image]

I have a pinball dolly, but for one or two games these work fine. Cheap and easy.

#15 3 years ago

Congrats on the first pin! T2 is a great pin to start with.

The 3 wheel skates work ok. Well worth the $20 they cost.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I have owned about 100 pins and moved about 1000 (between shows, friends, helping out others, etc).
    The single best thing to move a pinball are these pinball skates:

The key is if you move machines frequently. I have a couple of steps and thresholds I have to lift the machines over to get into the game room and the Jabtec dollies stay attached while doing that. For machines that are in the shop, I use modified HF moving dollies that won't come off when moving them around the shop and over control joints in the concrete.

PXL_20210321_215210800 (resized).jpgPXL_20210321_215210800 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-wheel-dollies-or-pinball-skates-help-a-noob?hl=froytheorc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.