Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thermionic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 3 years ago

I would simply remind everyone of the simple fact that in-person human communication is largely nonverbal; in addition to the words explicitly spoken, there is posture, eye-contact, demeanor, vocal intonation, facial expressions, and other manifestations of "body language" which all act in concert to clarify and amplify the spoken words.

In online communications on the other hand, EVERYTHING boils down to the words used, and most of the nonverbal stuff that would normally serve to clarify and fine-tune the points being made is lost in translation, and the result can be a whole lot of teeth gnashing, bad blood, arguments, and well-meaning people stepping up to encourage us to keep things civil. If I refer to someone on this thread as an "asshole", the reaction is probably going to be uniformly negative; it won't matter that I do so with a grin on my face and the intent that it is nothing more than a bit of good-natured ball-busting because the cues that would alert you to this fact just don't translate. A lot of problems can be traced directly to the difficulty of expressing irony, sarcasm, and general "dry" humor through a written post, all of which can be easily misinterpreted as insulting or "mean-spirited".

I don't think it is possible (or desirable) to radically change the way everyone posts, but if we could all bear this issue in mind I think it could help to lessen the impact when one of "those" posts shows up on a given thread.

It would also help tremendously if we could all remember the virtue of GRACE, and avoid jumping to the conclusion that a individual is wantonly behaving negatively every time we read something that we take some level of offense to.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Thermionic.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-was-to-make-pinside-a-better-place?tu=Thermionic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.