Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Haymaker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

1) The golden rule.
    Try to treat other people in the same way that you want to be treated.

2) If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.
    You don’t like something, just move on.

3) Try to make sure that it is fun for everyone, not just some people.
    I have to remind children of this, don’t be a bully

#2 3 years ago

You obviously have been in the DeepRoot thread!

#3 3 years ago

4) Check your thread titles for spelling and grammar.

(just kidding, of course)

#4 3 years ago

That's sounds like new wave PC horseshit and I personally see no enjoyment in it what so ever. What makes this site fun at least the majority of the time is the insults, the trolling, the difference in ideas and taste that cause turmoil. Yes I'm a well know baboons ass and expect to be treated as such, thankfully there are plenty of pinsiders who let me know it, and I love it. U say something stupid or even if I'm just in the mood? Ur gonna hear about it. Otherwise what's the point, Kindness and understanding? Boring.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Can I at least downvote posts with pics of clown puked games?

#6 3 years ago

Sadly this seems to be impossible due to human nature. I would add that constructive criticism is always better than “ No, you are a dumbass and you are wrong”. Gonna grab some popcorn and see where this thread goes.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from mystman12:

Can I at least downvote posts with pics of clown puked games?

Yes. I think this is rule #6

#8 3 years ago

I love the thread where the newbie who bought a NIB pin, that wasn't working properly, got attacked for not knowing how to fix a pinball machine. Furthermore, was chastised for a NIB being his 1st purchase.

There is some pure assery in this group.

Is assery an actual word? Time for the urban dictionary

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from SpyroFTW:

No, you are a dumbass and you are wrong”. Gonna grab some popcorn and see where this thread goes.

I agree what a lame response.

Where the veiled insult? Where the condescending remark, well thought out and hurtful.

That's where u r wrong sir. There's no good without some evil. I like both, well more evil to be honest.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Is assery an actual word?

It certainly should be. I'm using it either way from now on. Thanks

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I've always heard it in its original long form.... "jack-assery".

Later,
    EV

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from LordHumungus:

It certainly should be. I'm using either way from now on. Thanks

Lmfao

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I’m more accustomed to the popular phrase Asshat. Nice no spell check squiggly line; it’s a word!

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I love the thread where the newbie who bought a NIB pin, that wasn't working properly, got attacked for not knowing how to fix a pinball machine. Furthermore, was chastised for a NIB being his 1st purchase.
    There is some pure assery in this group.

You mean that thread where someone bought overly complex machines that regularly break, then complains that they break?

It is too easy for white knights to show up on here and say how if only we were nice to each other this place would be better. It also seems to be the same people who are interested in handing out meaningless participation trophies so everyone can feel like they won. The idiot in the newbie thread bought something without doing his homework. He doesn't seem to have a willingness to pay someone to constantly fix it and was too ignorant to learn how to fix it himself.

Sorry, but niceness doesn't make overly complex, maintenance intensive machines magically work trouble free. He needed a hard dose of reality. Maybe he will take it as a learning experience and either find a tech to regularly service them or get his hands dirty. Maybe he will decide the hobby is not for him, because believe it or not it isn't for everyone.

What this site really needs is a lot less white knighting. I am so sick of this cheap veneer of pc niceness. Too many people on here pretend to be good people in public. Behind closed doors enough of the goody too shoes are borderline psychos. You do not need to be overly sanitized to be honest, genuine, or even a decent human being. Call a spade a spade. What does matter is knowing where the line is. Don't threaten people. Don't rip people off.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I love the thread where the newbie who bought a NIB pin, that wasn't working properly, got attacked for not knowing how to fix a pinball machine.

If its the one I am thinking of... it wasn’t that he didn’t know... but his ill formed expectations and attitude. Pretty much the same problem that sinks most noobs that gets most noobs roasted

Its the only story where the new guy busts into the circle of people and interrupts to tell everyone how it SHOULD be with no comprehension or understanding of what is real.

#17 3 years ago

It depends what your idea of fun is. Some people like to poke for a reaction. Not necessarily fun for the "pokee"

I don't really think anything needs to be changed. Pinside is a great place the way it is, IMO.

#18 3 years ago

What do you mean by 3 "Was" to Make Pinside a Better Place?

While we should be civil, my 3 Ways to Make Pinside a Better Place retort is from the reader's perspective instead of the poster:
    1 - You don't have a right to be coddled, so stop choosing to be offended by the smallest thing
    2 - Don't take things so personally when someone offers constructive criticism
    3 - It's not all about you, so if you don't like a post or conversation then don't look at it or even hide/drain the topic

#19 3 years ago

These are already the rules here and they are generally followed. If people seem "too mean" on pinside, then I advise you to never venture out into the world.

#20 3 years ago

The list should have been

1.) The ignore list
    2.) See item 1

#21 3 years ago

1) The golden rule.

3) Try to make sure that it is fun for everyone, not just some people

Quoted from 27dnast:

4) Check your thread titles for spelling and grammar

5) Learn to not care about what others think. Other people don't define you. Freedom

#22 3 years ago

Criticism is a part of life. So is respectful disagreement. Sometimes you need to spell it out for some clown that thinks it’s always all about them. Other times it’s better to just walk away!

#23 3 years ago

Man one of the best forums I was ever on was called Mallcrawlin and it was about hardcore offroading Jeep ZJ's, there was basically no rules about dragging noobs. In fact, it was encouraged. If you could get through the flames there was an outstanding wealth of knowledge to be had on there.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

You obviously have been in the DeepRoot thread!

Never once.

Quoted from 27dnast:

4) Check your thread titles for spelling and grammar.
    (just kidding, of course)

Thank you. I didn’t notice.

Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I would add that constructive criticism is always better than “ No, you are a dumbass and you are wrong”

Constructive criticism is better then insults, I agree and don’t understand why it’s so hard for some people.

Quoted from whthrs166:

Criticism is a part of life. So is respectful disagreement.

I agree, that respectful disagreement and constructive criticism is the life blood of the site; Negative criticism is usually what I see more and more often these days.

#25 3 years ago

I never understood why the facebook pinball groups are always saying "pinside is such a sewer!" I think this forum is great! Lots of helpful people, lots of funny people, lots of ball busting, and lots of entertaining arguments. Where else can you find detailed instructions on how to solder and threads where people argue until they are blue in the face about toys?!

#26 3 years ago

What I have learned on here: less is more.

Visit less and you'll find more enjoyment/won't gravitate towards finding the negativity.

Thick skin is a good quality to have. This is a microcosm of the world, and if you don't have thick skin in the world, it can be a mean place.

Simply put, if you can't handle how things are here, might be a good idea to visit less often or overcome the need/desire/hopeful wish for handholding.

Wasn't there a dad song about this with the lyrics: you have to roll with the punches to get to what's real.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from LargemouthAss:

I never understood why the facebook pinball groups are always saying "pinside is such a sewer!" I think this forum is great! Lots of helpful people, lots of funny people, lots of ball bashing, and lots of entertaining arguments. Where else can you find detailed instructions on how to solder and threads where people argue until they are blue in the face about toys?!

I agree.

Every few months, one of these "be kind" threads pop up. Compared to other hobby sites I visit, I find Pinside to be on the mild side.

With all due respect to the OP, I recall quite a few "STFU" quotes from you. Especially to Levi.

The mods do a great job walking the fine line of free speech vs trolling.

I do miss Blondetall, though.

#28 3 years ago

The golden rule is bullshit. Plenty of people I know are borderline sociopaths so not really interested in being treated the way they want to be treated.

What’s up with this Norman Rockwell nonsense anyway? There’s nothing wrong with this place, it is what you make of it, so there’s no need to sanitize it or talk to down to everybody like they are in kindergarten.

That’s certainly not the way I want to be treated. You guys like being treated like 6 year olds? I thought this was a place for adults.

#29 3 years ago

For about 3 months I removed all "O/T" "All Pinball" and "JJP" threads from my forum feed.

It was fantastic!

No fights, no arguments, no Fanboy threads clogging up the feed.
    After a while I decided that instead of hiding things ***I need to just have better self control*** and not give a crap about the "oPINion-siders" and i unblocked all threads and all people.
    Pinside is the best pinball site.

Dont get me wrong, I'll occasionally bat the beehive and not pass up easy trolling opportunities, but the best way to make pinside better is for some people on here to:

STOP waking up and saying to themselves "How can I be a victim today?'

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

You mean that thread where someone bought overly complex machines that regularly break, then complains that they break?
    It is too easy for white knights to show up on here and say how if only we were nice to each other this place would be better. It also seems to be the same people who are interested in handing out meaningless participation trophies so everyone can feel like they won. The idiot in the newbie thread bought something without doing his homework. He doesn't seem to have a willingness to pay someone to constantly fix it and was too ignorant to learn how to fix it himself.
    Sorry, but niceness doesn't make overly complex, maintenance intensive machines magically work trouble free. He needed a hard dose of reality. Maybe he will take it as a learning experience and either find a tech to regularly service them or get his hands dirty. Maybe he will decide the hobby is not for him, because believe it or not it isn't for everyone.
    What this site really needs is a lot less white knighting. I am so sick of this cheap veneer of pc niceness. Too many people on here pretend to be good people in public. Behind closed doors enough of the goody too shoes are borderline psychos. You do not need to be overly sanitized to be honest, genuine, or even a decent human being. Call a spade a spade. What does matter is knowing where the line is. Don't threaten people. Don't rip people off.

um no....it was the guy who had a NIB box machine that wasn't working correctly out of the box.

I am hardly any white knight. I am usually an ass, but an ass with good reason.

But your post.....seems more like a confession or defense of some assery! Maybe not?

#31 3 years ago

I never understood why the facebook pinball groups are always saying "pinside is such a sewer!" I think this forum is great! Lots of helpful people, lots of funny people, lots of ball bashing, and lots of entertaining arguments. Where else can you find detailed instructions on how to solder and threads where people argue until they are blue in the face about toys?!

Oh boy....you called pinball machines toys....cue some MAJOR assery!

100% agree, overpriced, big boy toys. And you know what? I enjoy the hell out of them.

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The golden rule is bullshit. Plenty of people I know are borderline sociopaths so not really interested in being treated the way they want to be treated.
    What’s up with this Norman Rockwell nonsense anyway? There’s nothing wrong with this place, it is what you make of it, so there’s no need to sanitize it or talk to down to everybody like they are in kindergarten.
    That’s certainly not the way I want to be treated. You guys like being treated like 6 year olds? I thought this was a place for adults.

LMAO. Remember when when Kevin K.'s Mom was weezing in court calling this place an "adult website".

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

With all due respect to the OP, I recall quite a few "STFU" quotes from you. Especially to Levi.

That’s true, and a good example of constructive criticism. Very few people rub me the wrong way like Levi does. I’ve accused him of being crazy more then once. I even laugh at most of his jokes, but few people cross the line of inappropriate (imho) as often as I see it from him. I’m far from perfect, but I like to at least try for a better world. Every day I strive to become a better person, some days I fail in spectacular fashion, but I’m a much better person then I was 30 years ago, and I’d like to see that in others too. Maybe I’m the crazy one?

#34 3 years ago

why the facebook pinball groups are always saying "pinside is such a sewer!"

U answered ur own question.

"facebook pinball groups"

I wouldn't go on facefuck if u paid me.

#35 3 years ago

Every day I strive to become a better person, some days I fail in spectacular fashion, but I’m a much better person then I was 30 years ago, and I’d like to see that in others too. Maybe I’m the crazy one?

#36 3 years ago

Very few people rub me the wrong way like Levi does. I’ve accused him of being crazy more then once. I even laugh at most of his jokes, but few people cross the line of inappropriate (imho) as often as I see it from him

You just need to understand 3/4 of the time he's being sarcastic or rubbing the irony in someone's face. He's 'loud' online but not in some hateful way, he's just not going to coddle you. If you want warm supporting hugs... you're not going to get it. If you need a hand up.. you'll get it. If you complain how rough his hands are afterwards... he'll probably just kick you back down for being an ungrateful prick.

#37 3 years ago

I would simply remind everyone of the simple fact that in-person human communication is largely nonverbal; in addition to the words explicitly spoken, there is posture, eye-contact, demeanor, vocal intonation, facial expressions, and other manifestations of "body language" which all act in concert to clarify and amplify the spoken words.

In online communications on the other hand, EVERYTHING boils down to the words used, and most of the nonverbal stuff that would normally serve to clarify and fine-tune the points being made is lost in translation, and the result can be a whole lot of teeth gnashing, bad blood, arguments, and well-meaning people stepping up to encourage us to keep things civil. If I refer to someone on this thread as an "asshole", the reaction is probably going to be uniformly negative; it won't matter that I do so with a grin on my face and the intent that it is nothing more than a bit of good-natured ball-busting because the cues that would alert you to this fact just don't translate. A lot of problems can be traced directly to the difficulty of expressing irony, sarcasm, and general "dry" humor through a written post, all of which can be easily misinterpreted as insulting or "mean-spirited".

I don't think it is possible (or desirable) to radically change the way everyone posts, but if we could all bear this issue in mind I think it could help to lessen the impact when one of "those" posts shows up on a given thread.

It would also help tremendously if we could all remember the virtue of GRACE, and avoid jumping to the conclusion that a individual is wantonly behaving negatively every time we read something that we take some level of offense to.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I love the thread where the newbie who bought a NIB pin, that wasn't working properly, got attacked for not knowing how to .....

It happens. Thats probably one thread to 300 the other way around.

#40 3 years ago

1) The golden rule.
    3) Try to make sure that it is fun for everyone, not just some people.
    I have to remind children of this, don’t be a bully

We choose BARABBAS

#41 3 years ago

Every day I strive to become a better person, some days I fail in spectacular fashion, but I’m a much better person then I was 30 years ago, and I’d like to see that in others too. Maybe I’m the crazy one?

The "I'd like to see that in others too" is problematic for me. Reads like you are deciding who needs to be a better person, and how they should go about it. If that's the case, you might be setting yourself up for being constantly disappointed about what kind of response you are going to get.

Trying to push ones values onto someone else never ends well imo.

#42 3 years ago

That’s true, and a good example of constructive criticism. Very few people rub me the wrong way like Levi does. I’ve accused him of being crazy more then once. I even laugh at most of his jokes, but few people cross the line of inappropriate (imho) as often as I see it from him. I’m far from perfect, but I like to at least try for a better world. Every day I strive to become a better person, some days I fail in spectacular fashion, but I’m a much better person then I was 30 years ago, and I’d like to see that in others too. Maybe I’m the crazy one?

One man's inappropriateness is another man's comedy gold.

#43 3 years ago

... Very few people rub me the wrong way like Levi does. I’ve accused him of being crazy more then once. I even laugh at most of his jokes, but few people cross the line of inappropriate (imho) as often as I see it from him. ...

Levi (pronounced like "heavy" for those who didn't already know), like a fine wine, has improved with age. He has actually mellowed a bit since his RGP forum days!

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Man one of the best forums I was ever on was called Mallcrawlin and it was about hardcore offroading Jeep ZJ's, there was basically no rules about dragging noobs. In fact, it was encouraged. If you could get through the flames there was an outstanding wealth of knowledge to be had on there.

Very similar to calling Steve Young years ago without you knowing your part numbers.

Initiation can be rough. But the rewards are worth it.

People just want to know if you are worth helping or not. If you'll learn. If you'll help others. Or only show up when you need something and too lazy to do a simple search.

LTG : )

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Levi (pronounced like "heavy" for those who didn't already know), like a fine wine, has improved with age. He has actually mellowed a bit since his RGP forum days!

Levi goes way back.

He's always given good counsel. For years. Well worth paying attention to.

LTG : )

#46 3 years ago

Another thing that makes Pinside a better place is turning hearts from grey to red.

And of course, by far the #1 thing.

IGNORE USER feature

Don’t like something or something. Ignore it

#47 3 years ago

If y’all think pinside is rough on new pin owners you should participate in a restaurateur forum when someone posts “I like to cook for friends, I don’t have any money how do I start a restaurant?”

See how those go

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

um no....it was the guy who had a NIB box machine that wasn't working correctly out of the box.
    I am hardly any white knight. I am usually an ass, but an ass with good reason.
    But your post.....seems more like a confession or defense of some assery! Maybe not?

Apologies, there are so many posts by new owners complaining about their games not working, its hard to keep track.

Confession? No, more like a repeated declaration that the people who continually try and shit out rainbows and sunshine on here are insufferable. It is fake. It is bullshit. It is a waste of time much like the ops post.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Another thing that makes Pinside a better place is turning hearts from grey to red.
    And of course, by far the #1 thing.
    IGNORE USER feature
    Don’t like something or something. Ignore it

Thanks for the reminder, it couldn’t have been grey for long, and I hadn’t noticed before now. I do believe in giving credit where credit is due and pinside is worth the couple extra bucks to make that red heart have a +, even though I don’t think I’ve used the extra features. Being able to add pics to PM’s is a nice addition though.

Edit added. I just might have to try out that ignore feature for a while.

#50 3 years ago

Pinside is fine. I’m sure no other pinball site is even close in traffic

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-was-to-make-pinside-a-better-place?hl=ericc123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.