(Topic ID: 257859)

3 things I learned about my Hakko FR-300 desolder gun.

By cottonm4

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

71S7-P6v8iL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2402 (resized).JPG
    20230221_202147 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1676811062737114157201717268039 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2607 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 9.18.39 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

So, if your your solder vacuum seems lackluster, check this tube. If it is full of solder, unplug it from your gun and run a small nail or drill bit through it to clean it out. Replace. And your vacuum action will improve tremendously.

I have also seen flux gum up the diaphragm beyond the tube. I have cleaned the diaphragm twice and each time I clean it the tool behaves just like new. It is a small job to clean it but I recommend doing that periodically.

Quoted from cottonm4:

The size of tip you use for a job is important. I have two sizes of tips. I have a 1mm tip for the smaller connector pins. I also have a tip for the larger .156 connector pins. DO NOT try to remove the smaller connector pins with the .156. It just does not work well, at all.

I can attest to this. I generally use the 1.0mm tip and pretty much only use the 1.6mm tip for the 0.156" connector pins, bridge rectifiers and snap-in radial capacitors.

Don't forget to drill out the nozzles as well to keep them clear of debris.

10 months later
    #18 3 years ago

I have the FR-300 (now obsolete) and when I clean it I clean it. I take it apart all the way to the diaphragm. I've seen bits of solder and flux back there. The flux is sticky and can gum up things. When it's all cleaned out it's like a brand new tool.

2 years later
    #31 1 year ago

Note to 808 users that the heater (A1234) is discontinued. A good friend of mine had the 808 and used it for years, until the heater broke and he was unable to get a replacement. He now has a 301.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

... And that is: LET GRAVITY HELP.
    Naturally you will point the tip down onto the board as you use it. Because that's how it was designed ergonomically, and it's easiest to let the board lie flat on the bench, which is why the vacuum was built in, duh.

It might be comfortable or natural to put the board flat on the bench and "fight gravity" rather "let gravity help". There is an intermediate to this. You can "neutralize" gravity by standing the board on its side (vertical) and performing the de-solder operation "horizontally". By doing it this way, you are neither fighting gravity or getting a gravity assist. It is (mostly but not entirely) neutralized.

This takes some getting used to but you can train yourself to do this.

If you know you are going to discard the component that is to be removed, you can cut the component out and then remove the remaining parts. An example of this is to cut all the IC legs (closest to the body to provide the maximum amount of remaining leg to grab) and then individually remove each leg. This makes a clean removal much easier as you can manipulate each leg individually rather than the IC as a whole. Another way to cleanly remove a whole IC is to use hot air but that is beyond the scope of this thread that is about a vacuum de-soldering tool.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DumbAss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-things-i-learned-about-my-hakko-fr-300-desolder-gun-?tu=DumbAss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.