(Topic ID: 257859)

3 things I learned about my Hakko FR-300 desolder gun.

By cottonm4

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

71S7-P6v8iL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2402 (resized).JPG
    20230221_202147 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1676811062737114157201717268039 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2607 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 9.18.39 AM (resized).png
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

I got a 301 recently and am Desoldering old Bally lamp sockets and switches - the blobs of solder immediately plugged things up with all the crud that's on there.
    Hakko sells little drill bits in different sizes to clear the nozzles and you can get them sized appropriately to the opening of the nozzles. They work way better than the pin. You can get a little hand holder for them as well. I got one for every size of nozzle that i have.
    They are absolutely necessary and at least the 1mm one should have been part of the kit.

For sucking up those large blobs in bulk, I got extras of those middle collection plastic tube assemblies, so you can just swap them and keep going while doing a large project, and let them cool off. They're around 19$ a piece. Saves a lot of time not having to let everything cool off every 4 lamp sockets to be able to clean the solder out of the collection tube.

#52 1 year ago

My 808 is still going strong and I’m pretty bad about cleaning it. Guess I should do that.

I don’t like how they discontinue models and parts become unavailable every few years. Is there an alternative from another company?

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

I got extras of those middle collection plastic tube assemblies,

I cut off small chunks from a copper pot scrubber and push inside that tube. The material catches the solder and helps with keeping the filter cleaner for a little longer.

I also use this material in my Hakko solder pen holder instead of the $10.00 one that is sold and used to clean the solder tip.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I cut off small chunks from a copper pot scrubber and push inside that tube. The material catches the solder and helps with keeping the filter cleaner for a little longer.
    I also use this material in my Hakko solder pen holder instead of the $10.00 one that is sold and used to clean the solder tip.
    [quoted image]

That's a brilliant idea!
    Just watch it for the ones you are using to clean solder tips, some are just copper clad steel and they will damage the soldering tip in no time.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from radium:

My 808 is still going strong and I’m pretty bad about cleaning it. Guess I should do that.
    I don’t like how they discontinue models and parts become unavailable every few years. Is there an alternative from another company?

Saw what looked like a copy of the 808 on a site. It was going for around $125. I almost went for it.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

Just watch it for the ones you are using to clean solder tips, some are just copper clad steel and they will damage the soldering tip in no time.

This is nice information to know. Thanks.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

Hakko sells little drill bits in different sizes to clear the nozzles and you can get them sized appropriately to the opening of the nozzles. They work way better than the pin. You can get a little hand holder for them as well. I got one for every size of nozzle that i have.
    They are absolutely necessary and at least the 1mm one should have been part of the kit.

Ha! What you're describing is a pin vise & bit set. I had no idea Hakko brands and resells their own! Glad I wasn't too crazy thinking those should have been included versus the wire pin.

71S7-P6v8iL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg71S7-P6v8iL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg

There are dozens of sets such as the above available on Amazon for silly cheap, and I can't recommend the concept enough. Used to be you'd have to go to a hobby shop (what's that??) and spend $6 on the vise, $30 on the bit set, and $2-3 per replacement bit.

Just be sure you have a steady hand because the smallest bits (sizes 76-80) are small as hairs and thus as easily broken as you might imagine. Not sure how all these chinesamazon ones would compare, but I'd not be surprised if those I bought locally over the last 20 years came from the same factories.

Hakko nozzles wouldn't require the use of those tiniest bits though, so for ~$15 you can keep the handle (vise) and some appropriate larger bits in the Hakko case. For stubborn clogs you will be glad you did.

#58 1 year ago

The cleaning drill should come with the desolder gun. I found it to be pretty much mandatory to drill out the 1.0 tip. The old flux or something hardens up and clogs the tip which the wand will not push it out. Run the drill through it and bunch of black stuff comes out. The 1.6 tip stays clean with the push wand, I don't think i've ever had to drill that one out.

The metal used on the FR300 tips are of a higher quality than the 808. They last longer, but are more expensive.

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.