Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by RDM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Quick question for some with more experience than I.

Three tables went up for sale locally very recently. Not big news in and of itself, but it's seldom that any come around available for the prices listed. Here are the three tables.

Road Kings $500
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-video-games-consoles-other/winnipeg/road-kings-pinball-machine-williams-1986/586233031?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Panthera $700
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-video-games-consoles-other/winnipeg/panthera-pinball-machine-gottlieb-1980/586234405?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Hard Bodies $450
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-video-games-consoles-other/winnipeg/hardbody-pinball-machine-bally-1987/586233907?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Of the three I really only have a passing interest in Road Kings and Panthera. Road Kings because it's a bit newer than BK and Counterforce so it would make a nice (newer) addition and Panthera because it's of a similar age as Counterforce so I at least have a starting point for fixing it. Both appear to be in reasonable cosmetic shape.

Sadly, yes those are fairly common prices for project machines up in my neck of the woods.

Worth it? Not worth it? Thoughts? I know many of you have likely played Road Kings and Panthera, I've heard the sound on Panthera is comically poor, curious about your experiences with Road Kings as of the three that's probably the one that interests me the most followed by Panthera.

#2 9 years ago

Sorry, but you didn't ask a question.

Also, a more descriptive subject might be more likely to draw in people who are able to help.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Sorry, but you didn't ask a question.
Also, a more descriptive subject might be more likely to draw in people who are able to help.

Hah tell me about it, hit "submit" accidentally before I finished typing it all up. Bear with me here.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from RDM:

Hah tell me about it, hit "submit" accidentally before I finished typing it all up. Bear with me here.

No problem.

I really don't like Road Kings at all, but I know that some people really seem to enjoy it in a completely non-ironic way.

I think Panthera is actually some amount of fun.

I've never played Hard Bodies. Depending on what's wrong with it and the condition of the boards, this one might be the winner in this group.

I'd be wary about the not working condition on all these, and assume the worst when factoring in what, if anything, I'd offer for them.

#5 9 years ago

If their condition is anything like the Counterforce machine I bought from him last year, it's quite possible one or all of them are disasters electronics wise.

Think battery acid parties and transistors that got so hot that they burned through and bubbled the PCBs. It ain't pretty.

More than anything I wanted to make sure that any or all of the three weren't some long lost diamond in the rough with amazing gameplay or something. I don't have a lot of interest in the Hard Bodies based 100% on the look of the playfield and backglass, so that's out regardless of its condition.

#6 9 years ago

His prices seem a bit high for non working machines and a quick look at his descriptions and he seems like a d!<k.
I really hate people that put the word "Firm" ever and or reference other crazy price sales. There was a fully working nice Road Kings by me that was 400-700 for a long.... time. Could be something easy as a fuse is also a duchebag comment. Looks like he is pricing by looks as well. You bought as project and now no time, well then take what you can get and or entertain offers. This guy then threatens to part out. Well fine, then everyone else gets a boost in price as now harder to come by. Oh, but he won't really do that he is to lazy he will just put in storage and pay monthly fees to store his mistakes. LOL

I don't know the games other than Panthera and it is a really good drop target game with memory drops. Good if you like drops, very traditional old school pinball.

#7 9 years ago

Yeah I hear you. He wasn't bad to deal with last time but you're right, the way it's being referred to assumes and implies quite a lot. I've already got a project machine in Counterforce which is purely drop targets so I think I'll give these a pass all things considered. I doubt they'll go anywhere too quickly and if the electronics are anything like what I have right now, one project is enough!

#8 9 years ago

RDM, I've just brought a Road Kings as a project but being new to pinball, machine had to have boards and electronics in okay shape. I paid $1600 aud, needs some play field repairs and cabinet work. I think it's a great machine to practice my repairs on before trying on my dearer pins. Game play is simple but fun. Game for the whole family.
I'm one of those people who is not afraid to say I like RK, it might be rated low here but rating are only a guide for me. I am also getting a Wipeout tomorrow so once again poorly rated machine so picking it up for $1200 aud with 100% working just some play field ware which can be easily fixed.
If your not comfortable working on machines you really need to chech out what the issues are with these pins as there are projects which can be fixed and those which will always be a project....if you know what parts you need and there availability, it's a good start.

#9 9 years ago

I'm becoming pretty comfortable working on the electronics so that doesn't exactly scare me off at the outset. My main concern is space and timing. I'm in the early stages of a basement renovation and I wouldn't have time or space to really dig into it for likely 6 months or more.

It doesn't look like any of the three titles are incredible finds but like you say, depending on condition (allegedly the playfields are all quite decent) one may be worth looking into.

#10 9 years ago

Hardbody never gets any love lol. It's a fun machine, but $450 is high for non working condition.

#11 9 years ago

Well even if you wanted to buy these games good luck. I emailed him asking if I can come look at the Road Kings on Wednesday and still haven't heard back. Funny the guy puts games up for sale and doesn't respond to potential buyers.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

I'm one of those people who is not afraid to say I like RK, it might be rated low here but rating are only a guide for me. I am also getting a Wipeout tomorrow so once again poorly rated machine

I am the same way, I have a Millionaire that i got doing a trade with a friend and i thought it would be horrid. Well it really is a fun machine with very nice two ball flow. If I remember right Wipeout is Gottlieb "ski theme" with ball chair lift. I like the art on RK and Wipeout. Millionaire not so much.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Well even if you wanted to buy these games good luck. I emailed him asking if I can come look at the Road Kings on Wednesday and still haven't heard back. Funny the guy puts games up for sale and doesn't respond to potential buyers.

Weird man, people like that are weird. Good luck if you do go take a look. Make sure you check the back box and the condition of the boards prior to agreeing on anything because like I already mentioned, there's a good chance that if he's getting rid of it, it's in seriously dire condition.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

I am the same way, I have a Millionaire that i got doing a trade with a friend and i thought it would be horrid. Well it really is a fun machine with very nice two ball flow. If I remember right Wipeout is Gottlieb "ski theme" with ball chair lift. I like the art on RK and Wipeout. Millionaire not so much.

Yes wipeout is a Gottlieb. I have only been collecting for 8 months and will now have a pin from Bally(TZ), Stern(Met DD), Williams(RK) and Gottlieb(wipeout). Gives great variation in game play Rather than having all from just one manufacturer......that's my strategy moving forward. Homepin Thunderbirds due mid 2015. Would like to get a JJP but the 10K + hear in Oz means I will prob wait a couple of years and see if a decent priced one comes up for sale.

#15 9 years ago

yeah it makes shopping so much more fun as well. AHRG

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Scotty78:

Hardbody never gets any love lol

WHAT??????

#17 9 years ago

I hate Road Kings. Its a horribly boring game! That said, Hardbody looks very interesting and although the art and theme kinda suck, it looks like a pretty fun game with lots to do!

1 week later
#18 9 years ago

Road Kings is a decent game if you take it at face value for what it is......granted, its no mid-90s DMD....an early system 11 game..mad max motorcycle theme...the last Williams pinball with the classic four pop bumper in top center of playfield....had evolutionary sound at the time it was produced...couple of ramp shots....if you play it, "you'll be back, jack!"

2 months later
#19 9 years ago

Just came across this thread, I ended up buying all three machines from this guy. He cut me a deal on all three and I didnt think twice to take them. It doesnt seem that project pins come up very often here, and pins in general seem higher priced here.

I started with Panthera because I already know system 80 and it needed barely anything, replaced the cpu daughter board with a new one from Great Plains ($16) and its solid. I'm going through RK now and the game boots and plays. Theres a switch matrix issue and I need to rebuild the high voltage supply for displays, but nothing yet that makes me curse buying it. I'm interested to see how Hard Bodies will go.. while the artwork and theme are cheezy it seems to be pretty feature rich.

1 week later
#20 9 years ago

Wow, that's good news. Glad you were able to come out well enough in the end. I picked up Counterforce from him a year+ ago now and while I had no issues with the sale or the purchase, and knew going into it that I was looking for a purely cheap (initial cost) project machine, that's definitely what I got. Lots of work and damage to it that need repairs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-tables-up-for-sale-locally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.