3 Shot Combo Club: Whirlwind

By Blackbeard

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hit it for the first time last night. Crazy whistle noise went off!

Anyone else part of this elite club?!!

#2 11 years ago

Left orbit, top orbit, ramp? If yes, then yes. Don't remember the crazy whistle noise though, feel like I'm missing out.

#3 11 years ago

Many,many times :DOf course I've owned the game for over 20 years

#4 11 years ago

I did it directly into a multiball one time!!! I needed the left ramp shot to start multiball and managed to get the 3 way combo to start it. The siren went off and then I felt the power of the wind!!!

#5 11 years ago

Yes, a few random times but always by accident lol! Very cool when you do get it. Congrats!

#6 11 years ago

Should be worth more than 250000 though!

#7 11 years ago

Not worth a ton of points, but it does make the game sing Love that shot combo.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

Should be worth more than 250000 though!

Yeah, if the millions ramp is worth a million, etc., wouldn't the 3 way be worth much more?

#9 11 years ago

Air raid

#10 11 years ago

It should totally be worth 3 million!
And I've only hit it 4 times since I bought my whirlwind.
Love the siren.

#11 11 years ago

I don't think I've hit it before unless I didn't notice it but I've only owned mine a month. Is it the left orbit through the low pop bumpers, then the right orbit with the spinner and then the ramp?

#12 11 years ago

Orbit thru low bumpers to upper flipper, the inside orbit to upper flipper then millions ramp.

#13 11 years ago

LOL!! Yeah I've hit it...SCARED the crap outta me the first time!!! I thought I broke my game!!

Phoebe

#14 11 years ago

Noticed this thread and played hard for the last hour. I am now officially a member. Woohoo!

#15 11 years ago

I've done it a few times. Very difficult and worth barely any points in comparison to how hard it is to do.

-BB

#16 11 years ago

I wonder if they'll ever be a new rom revision to boost the points for acheiving it.

#17 11 years ago

I did accomplish this once after I dialed in the alignment on my flippers. The sense of accomplishment is awesome. I totally threw my arms in the air and celebrated...and promptly drained.

The score is a joke for that combo, but I guess that isn't really the point of it.

#18 11 years ago

Yup...I've made the shot a few times + also. Told myself once I could 'beat' the game(all cellar hole awards) AND get the 3 way combo I could sell it....and I did. : ) Fun game.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Yup...I've made the shot a few times + also. Told myself once I could 'beat' the game(all cellar hole awards) AND get the 3 way combo I could sell it....and I did. : ) Fun game.

Would take longer to unload and setup than to "beat" it??? Very fun game but not terribly difficult to complete all the cellar awards and do a three way combo.

#20 11 years ago

yep. feels great when you hit it.

#21 11 years ago

Very satisfying shot.

1 week later
#22 10 years ago

Didn't know it existed until I hit it once by accident. I'm not very good and haven't been able to do it since then.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Didn't know it existed until I hit it once by accident. I'm not very good and haven't been able to do it since then.

When I try to hit it I never can. When I do hit it its when I am not even thinking about it.

#25 10 years ago

A storm chaser's dream sound...trust me That side ramp shot is a toughy because the flipper coil barely has enough ooomph to do it. I can hit the TAF side ramp 5-10 times a game no problem, but the WW side ramp needs perfect timing and ball velocity (and you dont have the starting position like the Thing eject scoop).

#26 10 years ago

I've noticed that hitting that millions ramp is a bit easier with a quick tap of the right flipper button instead of a tap/hold.

#27 10 years ago

I have noticed the same thing. Seems like the quick tap send it through with more power. I figured maybe I hit it more precisely when doing a quick tap. Is there any mechanical explanation for why a quick tap would be more effective?

#28 10 years ago

One of my favorite shots in all of pinball! I miss my WW.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

I have noticed the same thing. Seems like the quick tap send it through with more power. I figured maybe I hit it more precisely when doing a quick tap. Is there any mechanical explanation for why a quick tap would be more effective?

I have actually always wondered this myself. I first noticed it back when Whitewater was new and our local one would get dirty/tired. The quick tap was absolutely necessary to make insanity falls whereas a hold would just miss the apex every time. I don't believe it's a phenomenon a lot of people know/realize, and I know it's helped me out in tournaments more than once.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

I have actually always wondered this myself. I first noticed it back when Whitewater was new and our local one would get dirty/tired. The quick tap was absolutely necessary to make insanity falls whereas a hold would just miss the apex every time. I don't believe it's a phenomenon a lot of people know/realize, and I know it's helped me out in tournaments more than once.

Good to know. Thanks Keith. I've learned something new!

#31 10 years ago

Being a physicist, I now want to crack open a pin and stick an oscilloscope on things. (Pity I don't own one, a location player am I.) The only way that depressing the flipper for less time should increase power is if there's odd transients in the electrical system as the flippers engage and disengage, fairly possible if there's two flippers on the same circuit.

Otherwise, the up-stroke should be identical.

Does this only happen on side flippers?

#32 10 years ago

I too notice that the "quick flip" seems to get more power out of the top flipper when trying to hit the millions ramp.
Could it have anything to do with the leaf switches on the flipper buttons?
Maybe the tungsten points aren't getting as "burned" on the top flipper portion of the leaf switch therefore allowing a faster flow of electricity to trigger the upper flipper coil?
Now i wish i was a physicist.

#33 10 years ago

After I rebuilt my flippers and converted them to the WPC style, this shot is much easier. Maybe worth trying?

#34 10 years ago

Could be eddy currents from the lower coil interacting with the upper coil.

Also in the 3 way club. I have been thinking of making a little air raid siren mod that spins and lights up when you get it, but it happens so infrequently I think the mod would go mostly unused.

#35 10 years ago

I think it's more mechanical in explanation than electrical.

Hold the button in keeps the flipper up. This would tend to change the balls trajectory a bit.

My thoughts.

2 months later
#36 10 years ago

I just hit a three way with 2 different balls!! I had a ball locked for quick multiball and fired the ball out of the shooter lane but it went to my flippers without touching anything so the quick multiball had not started yet. I hit the left loop with the ball on my flipper. It triggered the ball to start to come out of the quick mulitball hole, but while it did the light show I hit the upper loop with the ball that I had hit the left loop with but then i missed the side ramp with that ball. At basically the same time the other ball finally makes it out of the quick mulitball hole and i nail it up the ramp before the other ball had a chance to hit anything. I thought is was pretty cool!

#37 10 years ago

I did it once some how in regular multiball. I know it was not a legit 3 way, but it was still cool.

2 weeks later
#38 10 years ago

I was playing a few games, badly. finely my 5th game I start getting somewhere.
I have the million shot lit. miss it from the saucer under the ramp. I hit the cellar and the ramp drops. I cradle the ball on the right flipper and go for the left orbit through the lower pops.
I nail the 3 way combo with a million shot. i ended up putting up a new high score. ahh. that's what the doctor ordered.

#39 10 years ago

I used to have a Whirlwind and made a goal of achieving the 3-way combo where each of the 3 shots would also give me progress on the compass. Now mine was setup factory-hard with 3 balls and no extra balls. And on that setup you only have 2 chances to pull it off. I believe it is during build up for the first lock of the second multi-ball and the first lock of the third multi-ball.

For each of these two setups, making one or two shot but not the whole combo, that chance to do it is lost for that game of course.

Now here is the thing. I did it - after I'd made an agreement to sell the machine. And literelly the night before the day it was going out the door. Finally nailed it.

#40 10 years ago

Its an awesome combo shot!

2 months later
#41 10 years ago

This shot has been on my "pinball bucket list" and I thought I would have to wait until I owned one to hit the combo. Turns out I made it happen on location at Game Galaxy in Nashville it was incredibly satisfying. I love Whirlwind!

#42 10 years ago

My 16 year old nails the 3-way to often, just to annoy me.

8 months later
#43 9 years ago

Just joined the club. I started multiball from the combo. I didn't realize that I pulled it off until I heard the siren. Really cool rush!

3 weeks later
#44 9 years ago

Sign me up. The combo is deeply satisfying.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-shot-combo-club-whirlwind and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.