(Topic ID: 223808)

3 Pinball Machines on Craigslist that interest me, which should I get?

By EricHadley

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by adborto
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which one to get to fill my temporary MBr void?”

• Fun House 58 votes
      74%
    • Roller Coaster Tycoon 14 votes
      18%
    • South Park 6 votes
      8%

(78 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    water world  (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

There are 3 pinball machines on Craigslist that I am considering getting to temporarily fill my MBr space. Funhouse, looks like its in reasonable condition. Can probably get it for 3500. Roller Coaster Tycoon, reasonable condition and probably get for around 2500. Lastly there is a HUO South Park, can get for around 3000. Which one should I get to fill my temporary MBr void?

#2 5 years ago

Funhouse. Not close.

#3 5 years ago

Buy all three, have fun, then sell the ones that aren’t keepers

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

Buy all three, have fun, then sell the ones that aren’t keepers

only room for 1

#5 5 years ago

IF you have the $$$$ Funhouse. If you are pinching pennies, Roller Coaster Tycoon. Don't waste your time or money on Southpark. Oh so boring against the others.

#6 5 years ago

I know the GP is going to overwhelmingly vote FH. I'm 50% there myself. But I will say, the other day I played a RCT for the first time in a long time and really enjoyed it. Maybe perhaps it was because it was next to Monopoly, which I think of as a lesser version of the same layout, and perhaps because I understand the RCT lingo as I played the PC game, but I think it's an underrated game based on the bad rap it usually gets.

Don't get me wrong, I still like Funhouse, and when we had a 100+ pin arcade over the past few years, it was probably one of my top games, but I don't think it has a ton of replay-ability. But then again, looking at your collection and the time frame you plan on keeping this game, FH may be a perfect fit.

Either way you can't go wrong between RCT and FH, and at those prices, you shouldn't have a hard time moving either out when CGC finally starts shipping MBr.

#7 5 years ago

South Park is one of the worst machines ever. I actually like aspects of RCT but it's not super interesting.

FH really really easily and I'm not a super fun house guy.

#8 5 years ago

I like south park but Fun house all the way.

#9 5 years ago
    Go with Funhouse

#10 5 years ago

A HUO SouthPark at parties will probably get the most play and attention. Funhouse if in good condition will be the easiest to resell or trade. But Roller Coaster Tycoon is a game id love to play and that's why it gets my vote.

Thanks
    Blake

#11 5 years ago

If they were three reasonably priced machines on CL you won't need to decide, because they're long gone .

#12 5 years ago

No question, funhouse.

#13 5 years ago

southpark sucks

#14 5 years ago

Funhouse by a mile.

#15 5 years ago

Funhouse!

#16 5 years ago

None as I just picked them up. Thanks for the heads up!

Just kidding.... Going of your collection I would say none. I would go after that $1K jungle lord, remove the Christmas tree light LED treatment it has and have fun with a different style of game in a collection of Sterns and top Bally/Williams pins. If it had to be one of the 3 you are looking at now I'd go for the Roller Coaster. It's cheaper and in pretty nice shape. FH is fun but gets old for me though. Plus I don't think it's in the condition that it should be in with that price. The cab is really faded with some blems and the plastics look like some could use to be replaced. The PF looks good though from what i could see. Just not $4200 to me. I know you said you could get for $3500 but at their asking prices I'd go after that $2800 RCT.

#17 5 years ago

I once had a friend's RCT in my gameroom. He didn't have the space, I did, so he let me keep it at my house and play it for nothing. After a few weeks, even though I had the room and it cost me nothing, I still wanted the game gone. The layout and features are great, the rules are amazingly awful. I told him he had to take it back and he ended up selling it because he didn't like it either. He had picked it up for $200, which was the only reason he bought it. At $2500 I wouldn't even think of buying one, there are endless better games at that price range.

#18 5 years ago

Funhouse is a classic. That needs to be said right of the bat, but RCT offers the player a little more, in my opinion. If FH wasn't so expensive to begin with, I would suggest that, but I'm all about the bang for the buck and RCT is that. Don't even entertain the South Park idea.

#19 5 years ago

FH is a bit overrated but the best of the three.

South park is AWFUL.. unless you like shooting the ball into a sink hole the size of NY.

I'd lean towards Roller Coaster Tycoon. Good bang for the buck.

#20 5 years ago

Since you let all of Pinside know that these games are on CL and you are hear waiting for Pinside to decide for you, the game you want could be sold by the time you send a message to the seller, especially Funhouse which is worth the $4200 asking price.

#21 5 years ago

If you are going to end up flipping it for an MBr go with Funhouse, it's not only the best game of the three but will likely be the easiest to sell when you are ready to move on.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Since you let all of Pinside know that these games are on CL and you are hear waiting for Pinside to decide for you, the game you want could be sold by the time you send a message to the seller, especially Funhouse which is worth the $4200 asking price.

That’s ok, it would save me from buying one and I would have done the sellers a favor all at the same time........

#23 5 years ago

Tycoon... Fun House seems to have a lot of turnover and seems to be a bit overhyped. It's a cool game, but not for the prices it commands lately. South Park gets old really fast, but is great for casual players... Hence why it earns so much on location. Tycoon is a great value if you can snatch one up for low to mid $2k range.

#24 5 years ago

looks like you could use at least one alpha numeric game. So my vote is funhouse.

#25 5 years ago

Heck why can't you just wait for MBr? You thinkin there not going to ship for a couple a years? Hmmmm..... maybe your on to something!

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

Heck why can't you just wait for MBr? You thinkin there not going to ship for a couple a years? Hmmmm..... maybe your on to something!

Ya who knows, but I figure if I can pickup something fun at the right price and even just get a few months out of it before MBr she’s up that’s cool.....as long as I can sell whatever I get. Seems like funhouse and the most likely resell speed

#27 5 years ago

One more vote for Funhouse. I have no arguments that haven't been raised, but the ones I would reinforce are:

1) It's the best of the three games, IMHO.
    2) You'll get the best return on your investment when you go to sell

#28 5 years ago

Munsters

#29 5 years ago

Munsters? that's a keeper!

#30 5 years ago

Hey What about this one?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngwater world  (resized).jpegwater world (resized).jpeg
    #31 5 years ago

Waterworld ... Finally a game worse than SP

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Waterworld ... Finally a game worse than SP

I would take Water World over Southpark.

#33 5 years ago

FunHouse for sure hands down. Rudy might treat you to a SuperDawg.

#34 5 years ago

Waterworld is actually a pretty fun game of you play it objectively without the pinside stigma assigned to it.

#35 5 years ago

my buddy has a waterworld and i would hands down own it before south park

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Waterworld is actually a pretty fun game of you play it objectively without the pinside stigma assigned to it.

Some times a game is hated just because it's bad.

I played Waterworld long before I ever read a post on Pinside as I'm sure many others had.

#37 5 years ago

If you think about it to long. It's problem long gone in today's market.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

That’s ok, it would save me from buying one and I would have done the sellers a favor all at the same time........

I like your attitude! As Bugs Bunny says (or Three Stooges, I forget which), "Ah, an optometrist!"

#39 5 years ago

Rudy would drive me nuts and I wouldn’t waste my money on SP (now). I own a HUO - first game and won’t sell it. It never gets played, but special to me. I’d go with Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-pinball-machines-on-craigslist-that-interest-me-which-should-i-get?hl=damoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.