D3D4870B-5B1F-4FD2-80FA-AF78D3D04E75 (resized).jpeg
70DBAD98-E2B6-43B9-8285-23843324EB94 (resized).jpeg
E6D622C5-DDE5-41DB-B25C-BF972176E3A3 (resized).jpeg
C5B8E96B-31E3-4782-A612-65EB7FA2D059 (resized).jpeg
BA1598FA-C359-4FEC-AA73-3F960E40DAC5 (resized).jpeg
4F1DBDD5-8619-4795-AA34-B010A91C56EE (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6411874_3 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6411874_5 (resized).jpg

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

How many pinball machines can you put in a mini van?
Next week I’m picking up 3 pinball machines, Strikes N’ Spares 1978 Bally, Xenon, and a WPT.
Can I get them all in a minivan, or do I need to rent a larger vehicle?
Thanks in advance!

#2 1 year ago

I wonder if they'd fit in a Pacifica.

#3 1 year ago

Which one ?

You might try going in the back two the long way, and one sideways in front of them.

LTG : )

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

I wonder if they'd fit in a Pacifica.

Is a Pacifica larger/better at hauling pins than a minivan?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Which one ?
You might try going in the back two the long way, and one sideways in front of them.

Chrysler. Enterprise rental with unlimited miles.
It’s going to be a very long day. Three different stops! 900 miles round trip.

#6 1 year ago

I put four games (Judge Dredd, Dolly Parton, DE 35th Playboy and a woodrail) and 16 playfields in a town and country and drove it with my wife and all of her luggage to Allentown years ago so yeah I'd say your ok.

John

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I put four games (Judge Dredd, Dolly Parton, DE 35th Playboy and a woodrail) and 16 playfields in a town and country and drove it with my wife and all of her luggage to Allentown years ago so yeah I'd say your ok.
John

Perfect!!!!!!

Thank you!

I’ve only hauled single pins in the past.
This is exactly what I needed to know.

Thank you.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from BobT:

Chrysler. Enterprise rental with unlimited miles.
It’s going to be a very long day. Three different stops! 900 miles round trip.

A Chrysler will be the Pacifica. The trick is the spacing of the sliding door opening to load the third sideways. I considered loading an Oktoberfest that way and ran into a tight fit. API heads are 28” and the door opened just about that much. I figured out how to remove the two over travel rubber stops from the door track and gained another inch or so if someone holds the door back. Still 29” with only a half inch gap on either side wasn’t enough margin of error for me.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from BobT:

Next week I’m picking up 3 pinball machines, Strikes N’ Spares 1978 Bally, Xenon, and a WPT.
Thanks in advance!

Strikes and Spares and Xenon will fit fine, just take the heads off!

#strikes-n-spares is the Gottlieb!

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from BobT:

Perfect!!!!!!
Thank you!
I’ve only hauled single pins in the past.
This is exactly what I needed to know.
Thank you.

A town and country is much wider (boxy) than a Pacifica. Make sure you know what model van your rental is, as not all minivans are created equal.

#11 1 year ago

Another horizontal method would be to slide the first in straight through the back and do a 90° turn with the sliding door open and rest it against the front row seats sideways. PIVOT!

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

A Chrysler will be the Pacifica. The trick is the spacing of the sliding door opening to load the third sideways. I considered loading an Oktoberfest that way and ran into a tight fit. API heads are 28” and the door opened just about that much. I figured out how to remove the two over travel rubber stops from the door track and gained another inch or so if someone holds the door back. Still 29” with only a half inch gap on either side wasn’t enough margin of error for me.

Could be Grand caravan or town and country. Love the sto n go seats.

#13 1 year ago

You know what I'd do if I had a million dollars? 3 Pinball machines in a mini-van at the same time!

Sorry... couldn't resist. But I have fit 3 standard size machines in a pre-Pacifica Chrysler minivan before. We were not able to slide a machine in through the side doors as it didn't open wide enough for the head. What we did is slide the first machine in from the back, and then angled it sideways against the driver and passengers seats (with the side doors open during maneuvering to help angle it.). Then we were able to slide two machines into the back front to rear... barely.

#14 1 year ago

Oh and take a toolkit (obviously). But removing the grab handles from the interior of the vehicle can open up a lot of needed space.

#15 1 year ago

Yeah you should be fine with the heads removed on the older pins. It's just a little bit of Tetris but I've done it a few times with 3 or 4 different minivans.

#16 1 year ago

The trick is to load the first one in the back and slide it sideways behind both front seats.
Next goes in head first.
Last one in coin door first.
Use pool noodles and two 2x4s under last pin for some height adjustments next to pin #2.
Good luck

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

Oh and take a toolkit (obviously).

Bring lots of tools. In case any nut or bolt got replaced along the way and are no longer standard sizes.

#18 1 year ago

3 dmds gets tight. But you’ll be fine especially since it’s 2 solid states.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from BobT:

Thanks in advance!

It’s going to be REALLY tight. You really should consider a cargo van instead.

The WPT you can slide in through the sliding doors. But the two old games in the back, I’m not sure if you can do it. And even if you can, it’s gonna be a royal pain in the ass.

I move 2 in a minivan all the time. But I really wouldn’t want to try 3.

You can rent a cargo van cheap. You will be MUCH happier, trust me.

#20 1 year ago

Gas mileage and comfort/drivability of a minivan vs a cargo van for 900 miles? Minivan 100%, it won't be that hard to get these 3 specific titles in.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Bring lots of tools. In case any nut or bolt got replaced along the way and are no longer standard sizes.

I was thinking moving blankets. They’re cheap. Bring more than you think you’ll need.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Strikes and Spares and Xenon will fit fine, just take the heads off!
Strikes 'N Spares is the Gottlieb!

Ahhh…. Always wondered about the two spellings.

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Gas mileage and comfort/drivability of a minivan vs a cargo van for 900 miles? Minivan 100%, it won't be that hard to get these 3 specific titles in.

Going to be more uncomfortable trying to stuff 3 games in there, if it’s even possible.

Had anybody actually done this? Any pictures?

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballderdash:

A town and country is much wider (boxy) than a Pacifica. Make sure you know what model van your rental is, as not all minivans are created equal.

The problem is you can’t guarantee what they’ll have in stock or what they are going to give you.

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Going to be more uncomfortable trying to stuff 3 games in there, if it’s even possible.

Pics would be super helpful.

#26 1 year ago

I could only fit two in a Dodge Caravan with the heads on. I had them in a T formation. Not sure how anyone would get three to fit? It's more of a width issue than length tbh. Good luck

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from TomN:

I could only fit two in a Dodge Caravan with the heads on. I had them in a T formation. Not sure how anyone would get three to fit? It's more of a width issue than length tbh. Good luck

Heads off on the two old SS Ballys

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Jeez, are you ok today CrazyLevi ? First you start your own pricing thread. Now here several people posted before you saying they've done it, myself included. Last move I did with 3 were all older but one was a widebody. F2K and 2 Meteors in a 2014 Dodge Caravan, which is a smaller minivan. A couple of the heads sat on the games as if they were folded.

#29 1 year ago

Like others have said, put WPT in first and turn 90 degrees. Put Strikes and Spares and Xenon cabs on their sides and nest them with coin door opposite of each other to minimize width. Put heads of those on top of cabs.

If this is a solo trip, might be able to squeeze a head in the front seat.

Ask for a roof rack just in case

Or get a pickup truck, straps and a tarp.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from BobT:

Is a Pacifica larger/better at hauling pins than a minivan?

I rented a Pacifica on vacation a couple years ago. That thing was so cavernous, you could practically hear your echo when you raised your voice. Lol

I think they'd fit. And it's a really comfortable ride too. Dare I say Caddy like. And a bonus is that they have their fold in the floor seats, which makes everything low and flat. I loved it so much, I want to buy one. It's my wife who says no.

#31 1 year ago

With heads off I've done it in a sienna.

Scroll through this link. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in?tu=sataneatscheese#op

Pinside_forum_6411874_3 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6411874_3 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6411874_5 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6411874_5 (resized).jpg
#33 1 year ago

I can get three in my mini van.

4F1DBDD5-8619-4795-AA34-B010A91C56EE (resized).jpeg4F1DBDD5-8619-4795-AA34-B010A91C56EE (resized).jpeg
#34 1 year ago

To make this easier and to lessen the liklihood you damage your machine I highly recommend stopping by Home Depot and buying a giant 4x8 piece of plywood. If you have a minivan with hooks that stick up to secure seats even after seats are removed, this will help prevent cabinet damage. Remove/fold all the seats and throw the 4x8 in. If the 4x8 does not fit, you will not be able to fit 3 pins.

Insert the largest machine, the WPC in first from the rear and slide it all the way forward parallel to the seats. You are thinking you will want to slide them in through the sliding side doors, but this will likely damage your machine, and LOTR would not fit through my sliding doors. After you have the first pin in, put a large piece of thick cardboard behind it in case you have to slam on the breaks. Put the next pin in with head on or off depending on type, but if you can take it off it is easier. The pin going in last absolutely MUST have its head removed to fit.

Good luck and RIP your back.

#35 1 year ago

I've done 3 modern style pins (pins with folding heads) in GRAND Caravan. One pin longways in the front. One pin with back end in first and one with front end in first. The only thing that way a pain. Was having to lift the head on one so it rested on the other games head.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

To make this easier and to lessen the liklihood you damage your machine I highly recommend stopping by Home Depot and buying a giant 4x8 piece of plywood. If you have a minivan with hooks that stick up to secure seats even after seats are removed, this will help prevent cabinet damage. Remove/fold all the seats and throw the 4x8 in. If the 4x8 does not fit, you will not be able to fit 3 pins.
Insert the largest machine, the WPC in first from the rear and slide it all the way forward parallel to the seats. You are thinking you will want to slide them in through the sliding side doors, but this will likely damage your machine, and LOTR would not fit through my sliding doors. After you have the first pin in, put a large piece of thick cardboard behind it in case you have to slam on the breaks. Put the next pin in with head on or off depending on type, but if you can take it off it is easier. The pin going in last absolutely MUST have its head removed to fit.
Good luck and RIP your back.

RIP indeed!!! And thank you!

#37 1 year ago

I put two NIB pins into a Chevy venture, had to remove all the seats except the drivers seat to make it happen.

BA1598FA-C359-4FEC-AA73-3F960E40DAC5 (resized).jpegBA1598FA-C359-4FEC-AA73-3F960E40DAC5 (resized).jpeg
#38 1 year ago

4 old solid state fit in a caravan . i have done it many times. three is a breeze unless all are high speeds.

#39 1 year ago

I've loaded a similar load into a town & country with a buddy. It's tight but can be done, but I totally agree with @crazylevi, it really depends on what the rental has. Last 2 times, showing up on time, they didn't even have a vehicle in for me even though I booked 2-3 weeks in advance.

#40 1 year ago

I can get 3 of most any titles in my Astro van. you can do it,

#41 1 year ago

Astro, Town and Country, and Caravan are all different from a Pacifica. Think shoebox vs. jellybean. Those old vans work because they are not aerodynamically shaped. The Pacifica body and its interior, while long, is contoured and curved. Those sleek “refinements” eat up space and you’ll curse the fact that a bulge for a subwoofer, built in vacuum, or 15th cup holder causes that last pin not to fit. The headspace follows as well. Rounded bolsters as opposed to 90° frames at the pillars.

#42 1 year ago

If worse comes to worse, Enterprise Rent a Truck has those small cargo vans like the Ford Transit Connect and the Ram City Promaster that can fit most games upright and you can strap them to the walls with ratchet straps or to the hooks in the floor. They can fit games flat, too, of course, but depending on the length of the cargo area, you may have the same kind of room as you would in a minivan.

#43 1 year ago

I got 3 in an '06 grand caravan. Two in the back with the heads off and one horizontal in the middle. The horizonal one can keep the head on.

#44 1 year ago

99 ford windstar with rear seats removed…fit a NGG (front, sideways), stern magic and another SS game I can’t recall right now side by side in the rear. Luggage, a centuar pf, and quite a few cases of Yuengling. No problem.

If you have a “fold flat” system or similar, I can’t vouch for that. Those early minivans where the seats can be taken out are fantastic and cavernous pin haulers.

SR

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from ShopRat:

99 ford windstar with rear seats removed…fit a NGG (front, sideways), stern magic and another SS game I can’t recall right now side by side in the rear. Luggage, a centuar pf, and quite a few cases of Yuengling. No problem.
If you have a “fold flat” system or similar, I can’t vouch for that. Those early minivans where the seats can be taken out are fantastic and cavernous pin haulers.
SR

"...and quite a few cases of Yuengling."
Perfect!

#46 1 year ago

+1 if you can get a Ford Transit Connect instead. Ride quality in between a minivan and cargo van, but no worries about having to Tetris or remove heads.

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

+1 if you can get a Ford Transit Connect instead. Ride quality in between a minivan and cargo van, but no worries about having to Tetris or remove heads.

Yea, a transit would be better, but none are available…

#48 1 year ago

That sucks. Well, if you do end up going minivan, make sure you use some cardboard under the pins as it'll make the WAY easier to slide around on the floor of the minivan, but also protect it from getting damaged from the pins' sharp corners. Also, a good rule of thumb for checking space for pins in a minivan is to find out which ones can easily carry a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood and how much room is leftover in front and/or on the sides. There are a few sites that have that info. A simple google search should yield the info you'd need.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from BobT:

Yea, a transit would be better, but none are available…

Did you try Enterprise? In my area they have a bunch of the smaller Transits.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Did you try Enterprise? In my area they have a bunch of the smaller Transits.

I’m getting the mini van from enterprise. I was supposed to be on the road today, but postponed till next week due to weather. I’m traveling from Columbus Ohio through Chicago up to Madison Wisconsin. The weather forecast indicated sleet, snow, and ice combined with high winds. In my youth I would have said F it and went anyways.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Durham, NH
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Wichita Falls, TX
$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Bucks County, PA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 7.50
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 82.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-pinball-machines-in-a-minivan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.