(Topic ID: 36370)

3 or 5 ball play: My decision

By Foo

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

After much badgering from a friend, at the 1st of the year I decided to switch all my games from 5 ball to 3 ball play. Well, all my games except Scared Stiff... that's the only one my wife plays and she would kill me if I changed that to 3 ball.

It's taking a bit to get used to, but the switch might be improving my skills as a player. My games are now harder (shorter), which is making me think more and play better. Every shot means much more now.

Along with the ball change <insert snicker here>, all the old high scores have been deleted as well.

Let the new era of 3 ball play begin!

Anyone else try this.... or go the other way?

#2 11 years ago

Whatever works for you.
    I know all the hard core people are for 3-ball only.
    However, I stink as a player, so all mine are set to 5.
    That way a game at least lasts a few minutes.

#3 11 years ago

I have my machines set for 3 ball but I max out the extra ball settings.

#4 11 years ago
    Quoted from juandylan:

I have my machines set for 3 ball but I max out the extra ball settings.

this. Free games are no fun when the thing is set to free play.

#5 11 years ago

3-ball with default extra-ball rules. Anything else makes the game get old fast, IMHO.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

this. Free games are no fun when the thing is set to free play.

I still live for the sound of the knocker! I've had parties where the tournament revolved around who got the most replays (and all my games are set for 3 replays for the GC). I need to do another one of those parties soon.

#7 11 years ago

All of my games are:
    3 balls per game, maximum 2 extra balls per game, replay award=credit, special award = points.

To each their own!

#8 11 years ago

3 ball play is the standard for most all SS games. Classic games (50s/60s) are typically 5 ball I believe. I personally kinda hate playing games with incorrect settings, it takes the fun away for me since I don't feel my score is actually legit.

#9 11 years ago

5 balls in each of my pins. Because that's how many you got for a Nickel when I grew up. Old habits! But this is certainly "to each his own"!!!

#10 11 years ago

My rule is any game with 2 inch flippers is a 5 ball game if it has jumbo flippers(3") then it's 3 ball.

#11 11 years ago

Factory default settings. Every game plays slightly different but with factory default settings you can at least compare a score from one machine to the next, allowing reasonable expectations when playing same title at a new location.

#12 11 years ago

5 ball, using the factory "install 5 ball game" adjustment. I *think* it balances out. Makes some of the awards (harder locks, etc) more difficult to compensate for having 5 balls.

I find that the kids & guests enjoy the 5 ball.

I should note that this is a big switch from my previous stance. I had 3 ball, open out outlanes, steep pitch...tried to emulate the way you'd find a game on a route (apart from the cleanliness/condition lol), but once I got TNG and finally caved into buying the extended outlane guides (that game was kicking everyone's ass. No one liked it) I had a change of heart and set the games more up for "fun".

Outlane posts are now a little lower than halfway (Or the middle setting if pinned), and apart from Simpsons, the pitch is reasonable. Steep, but not too steep.

Of course, after hitting "Rule the Universe" twice in one game the other night (first time I've ever done that!) I'm thinking I may be switching back to 3 ball. At least on AFM.

#13 11 years ago

3 balls for me too. Can you imagine a 5 ball game on TSPP???

#14 11 years ago

On the contrary, it's my decision, and I say set them all to 4 ball ...

#15 11 years ago

Never even considered setting them to 5 ball...

I leave my stuff at the defaults throughout the game

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I've played at someone's house that had 4 balls set.

Again it's owners preference. Diff'rent skill levels, different ways to play etc etc

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

3 balls for me too. Can you imagine a 5 ball game on TSPP???

Good god! Or AC/DC

#18 11 years ago

i was going to give the simple -- whatever suits you best.. if you like longer game time....5, challenge yourself... go with 3. BUT I WILL REVISE THAT SLIGHTLY.... easier game with generally longer ball times and maybe better to set it on 3. Harder game,,, a drain monster?? maybe set it on 5?!

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

5 balls in each of my pins. Because that's how many you got for a Nickel when I grew up. Old habits! But this is certainly "to each his own"!!!

I feel this way too. Playing Pinball all those years on the Boardwalk in Wildwood, NJ...it was 5 ball. Yes...Old Habits!

#20 11 years ago

Fan of setting them to three myself. Certainly makes the games more challenging.

#21 11 years ago

I set them to three, but make it so Special gives an extra ball (if it normally awards a free game), as well as another extra ball for a certain score. I usually bump up the score from whatever the default is though.

#22 11 years ago

Default settings for every game.

#23 11 years ago

I was the same as you, everything on 5 but changed to 3 and it is much better and more of a challange.

#24 11 years ago

Not that anybody should really care what others think, but anytime I see somebody has set a game to 5 balls (for modern games where 3 ball is the norm) I know with almost absolute certainty they are a very subpar player (I guess they could be set at 5 ball for the wife/kids/poodle, but really...).

Not that being bad at pinball makes you a bad person, but this serves as a visual cue that you are not good at pinball, for what that is worth.

#25 11 years ago

3 ball, default settings all the way. You gotta work for your extra balls!

#26 11 years ago

I know 5 ball is available, but wasn't aware that so many people actually set their games to that. I'm not sure I have run into anyone local here whos pins I've played that are running 5 ball. Interesting though so many people run that

#27 11 years ago

Only settings I touch are Free Play and Min Vol Override.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from BC_Gambit:

anytime I see somebody has set a game to 5 balls (for modern games where 3 ball is the norm) I know with almost absolute certainty they are a very subpar player

NOPE! Not true at all. I'm not a subpar player. I just happen to like 5 ball play. I THINK I'm insulted!

#29 11 years ago

I'm a new player, but I can't understand why you would play 5-ball. It feels the same as playing an arcade emulator with unlimited lives - what's the point? IMO, I play like it was meant to be played.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

NOPE! Not true at all. I'm not a subpar player. I just happen to like 5 ball play. I THINK I'm insulted!

Game on! You could easily be better than average, or completely horrible. The important thing is you are playing your games the way you want, and I am playing my games how I want, so we both win

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

5 balls in each of my pins. Because that's how many you got for a Nickel when I grew up. Old habits!

My thoughts too.

#32 11 years ago

You might find that you get better scores on 3 ball, as funny as it sounds. I have played all sorts of ball formats and as I am sure you know, this game is 90% mental and in my experience 3 ball works best for some reason. I guess 3 is the magic number.

#33 11 years ago

Prsonally, I like the 3 ball option because my concentration has to be better and I believe it has improved my skills. However, because my family like the 5 ball option, my machines are set to 5 ball.

#34 11 years ago

I set my DMD and system 11 era games to 3 balls, anything older is set to 5 balls.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

You might find that you get better scores on 3 ball, as funny as it sounds. I have played all sorts of ball formats and as I am sure you know, this game is 90% mental and in my experience 3 ball works best for some reason. I guess 3 is the magic number.

+1 and with a couple of extra balls you get five balls anyway(plus multiballs!), and they are worth more if you get them(unless its on tournament mode). Five ball is good if the game is a harder one but three is good then too, makes you concentrate. The compromise of four balls doesnt seem a right number. One ball might be interesting.. a one ball high score.. Factory settings is great especially when the machine is level and at around 6.5 degrees - you get to experience how the the creators were designing it but I like messing about with all the settings too cos thats what they are there for.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I've been doing the four ball thing for years, when ever possible that is....which is mostly the newer games. Its like playing a three ball game with a extra ball.

John P.Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#37 11 years ago

I like the 3 ball but everything awards an extra ball option.

If you suck it will be over quick.....if you hit your shots you can really get things rolling with the extra balls coming into play.

But....I also prefer the fast and furious games vs the deep long ball time games.

2 weeks later
    #38 11 years ago

I just got my lotr two weeks ago, haven't played pinball much prior to Getting it. At first I had the game on 3 ball, and the games always ended very fast and I easily was getting very frustrated when 2 of the three balls were drained without me being able to do anything. Then I read a thread about this, and decided to set mine to 5 ball. I gotta say it now makes the game funner as i have more chances to complete modes and multi balls. Even though its set on 5 ball, I still majorly suck at pinball!

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from vader1979:

I just got my lotr two weeks ago, haven't played pinball much prior to Getting it. At first I had the game on 3 ball, and the games always ended very fast and I easily was getting very frustrated when 2 of the three balls were drained without me being able to do anything. Then I read a thread about this, and decided to set mine to 5 ball. I gotta say it now makes the game funner as i have more chances to complete modes and multi balls. Even though its set on 5 ball, I still majorly suck at pinball!

Im not a big fan of 5 ball, but whatever anyone wants to do is fine. It's their game. I set mine to 3 ball. What I did do on my LOTR after I got it was award an extra ball at 20 million. It rewards you when you are having a decent game, and it's helpful for players that aren't that great. I thought it was a decent compromise.

That's the only game that I did that on though.

#40 11 years ago

To each his own. For me, if I set any of my solid state games to 5-ball I'd kick my own ass.

#41 11 years ago

It takes me three balls to remember how to play

#42 11 years ago

All my DMD games are 3 ball. My 1 60's EM game is set to 5 ball. My SS non-DMD vary depending on the game but most are 3 ball.

#43 11 years ago

I have toyed with the possibility of switching from 5 to 3 ball games. I am average at best and my thought process was 3 ball will make me a better player in the long run.

My collection is all about speed which is why I choose Tron and ACDC. Both of these games tend to have very short ball times and can be extremely angering. Even with 5 ball, games can last minutes. For friends that never play pinball this makes for a boring couple of games.

I'll give it a try...maybe turn on 5 ball when friends come over.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-or-5-ball-play-my-decision and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.