Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by phil-lee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FP_(resized).jpg
    s-l500_(resized).jpg
    080mibs2s_(resized).jpg
    BigFlipper_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Just wondering if anyone here converted a 2 inch flipper machine to 3 inch to make a better player. I know its been ridiculed in the past but has anyone did it and kept it that way?

#6 7 years ago

Not looking for love. I know some have thought about it,just trying to see if anyone had done the conversion and liked it.

Quoted from extraballingtmc:Does it come with rubber bands for the outlanes and a giant post for between the flippers?

Not very positive, not too funny either. Why not express how you really feel? Do you feel better about yourself being a purist? Nothing wrong with that of course,unless it turns you into a smart ass.

#22 7 years ago

I appreciate the constructive comments.I see the 3 inch wedge heads and felt it would simply be an improvement Gottlieb would have made at the time had it been the norm,however there is not enough room on an older machine to make it viable. I have nothing against 2 inch and grew up playing those,and a machine like Fireball just wouldn't be right without them.The problem is I like a fast playing game and after rebuilding the flips on Spin a Card including yellow dot coils performance is still lacking, looks like High Tap is the next step. Actually a 2 1/2 inch flipper would be perfect but they don't make such a beast(that I am aware of). There is a lag in flipper performance I attribute to the contrived wire-reach system Gottlieb used to the switches, my next question is, is it difficult to change this to a direct-switching system akin to a Williams?
    As far as Purist go I restored wooden runabouts from the 50's to Museum standards and understand the importance of originality.However after performing the work necessary to bring a pin to OEM performance there is no way I would sell it for some piddling amount, it will be kept and played hard. I won't ruin a machine but I will experiment to make improvements in performance.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Every time I read about high tap and yellow dot coils I can't help but think maybe the owner should try a different machine. Or maybe a different brand. I never get why some want a Gottlieb to play like a Williams. I like both styles. That's why I have some of each. But to each his own...

You are the most correct in your assessment, I am asking too much from the machine.All of the Gottliebs I played in the 60's were sleds,I just assumed they hadn't been maintained.Now that I have one with rebuilt flippers,pop bumper units,all new sleeves, new kickout hole tables,everything that moves(and most that doesn't) cleaned and waxed, I expected Spin A Card to play like my Williams. It plays "Polite",just like all those fishing pier and greasy dive Gottliebs played back then. It is pretty though,and much less problematic with the mechanics.I will finish the machine and trade it toward an EM I want. But I have to high tap it first or I will always wonder!

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've been thinking about how two different games from the same manufacturer can have noticably different playfield power even though they use the same coils and basic parts even after being rebuilt and you have to look at the power supply and flow. Any resistance in the fuse holders, power relays and switches, and those always hard to clean jones plugs will cause a power loss to different degrees. And there is always the possibility of variations in transformer output as well as line voltage.

Line voltage is from a dedicated 115 outlet I paid to supply voltage to a window unit air conditioner.This week end I will adjust flipper EOS switches,bend the flipper actuator rod,wax the flipper button hole,remove a little pressure from the lower flipper return springs, adjust a closer gap for all pop bumpers,and clean the kick out mechanisms one more time.Only then will I high tap,but I have a feeling it is coming.Larger flippers were a thought toward FASTER and HARDER action,not easier.For some reason after a time investment restoring all the important units I like to see the pop bumpers dribble at lightning speed, the kickouts Jam the ball through the linebacker upper play field, the flippers Slam the ball all the way up. I guess I have the notion an EM can play nearly as fast and smooth as a SS machine with proper fine tuning.The problem is I have found that I can fix EM machines well,I understand them. I had an SS and sold it because I was terrified it would wear out or break and the electronics were beyond my skill level.
    Soon as I can get time I will submit a brief restoration thread with photos of the Spin A Card,she turned out great!

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Animal:

Im in the camp of do it if you want, its your pin, but keep the 2 inch for future resell.
    What pin is this for anyway?

Animal,it was a foolish notion,I have many.The game is Spin A Card.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I bought my Spin-A-Card recently (less than a week ago) and it's not even tuned up or leveled right yet and I think it's great player already Trying to hit all of those targets is so satisfyingly fun. I think it'd be a different experience for the worse with 3 inch flippers.

You are correct.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-inch-flipper-conversion?tu=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.