Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 39 days ago by Isochronic_Frost
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 47 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190317_205143403 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190317_203839922 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190307_183004438 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190317_193130598 (resized).jpg
002 (resized).JPG
1ab2e6aa5c171e39425046d0a3634ec36e3ce91d (resized).jpg
880af489fd5190e8aadd6dd77ed89878208c76bf (resized).jpg
Capture7.JPG
Capture.JPG
1 (resized).JPG
22BC5544-7427-4FC0-BF29-C406E5BE4C1E (resized).jpeg
87E475A4-E003-44DB-8367-40601B873D7D (resized).jpeg
f86f9220595abe745340b231856d8e86cf56557a (resized).jpg
9C487C7A-83F9-4FAD-8049-A42718505E87 (resized).jpeg
4812F712-8E44-4FB5-92DE-B944A02E716B (resized).jpeg
7D9BE65F-AE35-41E8-9984-1E2B30B525A3 (resized).jpeg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 months ago

In collecting and seeing different Night Moves pinball machines over the years ive noticed 3 major differences amongst the 450 or so production numbers of this game. Im curious if anyone might know if one of these is more of an early production prototype or perhaps another reason why 3 different styles of cabinets exist. The major differences are in the apron and the shooter rod as well as the over all cabinet shape. Youll see theres 2 different aprons youll come across, one having metal gaurds that protect the ball from flying on the apron area that tend to be in a lower profile cabinet shape and the other include clear plastic walls to prevent that are normally found in a deeper cabinet body style. The other major difference in cabinets is the shooter rod assemblies. Below ive included some different pictures that show the differences. Normally i would reference the flyer to see what the prototype might look like but this particular games flyer includes rendered artwork instead of an actual picture of the machine. Any thoughts? In these pictures they are all different machines. Youll notice the differences.

19048426_1 (resized).jpg20180614_165328 (resized).jpg20180614_165340 (resized).jpg2322314803_3702681664_b (resized).jpg6333- (resized).jpgPlayfield (1) (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180616-120955_eBay (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180616-121229_eBay (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (2) (resized).jpg
#2 10 months ago

Interesting thread for me as I love this game but I doubt it will garner much interest on Pinside as its a low production cocktail machine.

First a correction. Night Moves had a production run of around 870 according to Mr. Pinball Price guide. It's sister game, Carribean Cruise, around 377 production, again, according to the price guide. I have both machines.

Pictured first is my Night Moves. It has the low profile cabinet with the metal guards and standard shooter housing. I replaced the shooter rod and red is not how it came originally. Black I assume was standard and mine was cracked and therefore replaced with something on hand.

What irritated me was, I bought the Carribean Cruise to be a matched set with NM but the CC cabinet is slightly different and side by side it's a mismatch. In contrast, my CC has the deep cabinet with plastic guard, to my NM, which is the opposite with low profile and metal guards. See pictures.

BTW. It would seem that my Night Moves serial number was ink stamped in two different places inside the cabinet as #000443. I'm assuming that is the serial number as its all that I can find that seems appropriate... See third picture. Those serial numbers may provide some clues for you and then again, maybe not.
What number does yours show?

Cool thead, LunchMoney, how many NM's do you own? Any other cocktail machines or just NM?

1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
3 (resized).jpg
Caribbean Cruise cab and playfield
3CC (resized).jpg4CC (resized).jpg

#3 10 months ago

Wow that's weird looks like they stole Game Plan's shooter rod housing and modded it with a bally bezel? I've known about these 3 apron variations and the 2 cabinet variations there certainly neat. Thanks for using my before pic there with the gold curtains. lol I believe NM is the best cocktail pin out there it really packs a lot of fun into a small space, and I think you can consider it a widebody pin too!

54 (resized).jpg55 (resized).jpg

#4 10 months ago

So cool. I once had a cocktail pin but never got it working. I regret selling it, probably by now it would have been worth it to send the boards in for restoration .

#5 10 months ago

Night Moves is for sure the best cocktail pin out there!

Neat thread.

I have a NOS pf to swap into my game some day

#6 10 months ago

gmkalos haha small world yeah i had Google searched a few of those photos. What a great pin Night Moves is all around, great player, great looker, great sounds. The whole package awesome

mr68 awesome info. I got my 450 number as hear say really from a fellow Night Moves owner. Glad to finally know. I own 2 Night Moves as well as 2 Caribbean Cruise. As far as other cocktails i have the extremely interesting Star Battle, 2x Entertainers, Foxy Lady and a Hearts and Spades. Definitely got a soft spot for the cocktail games. Hope to get a joust someday (pipe dream im sure, dont we all haha). I will have to look at my NM and add the serial numbers to this thread along which style cabinet they are i wasnt sure where to look for the serials initially so thank you for that as well.

#7 10 months ago

I have owned quite a few different cocktail pins over the years.
Had 3 Night Moves and two CCruises.
Plus nearly all the ALI and GamePlan models.
By the number of Cocktail pins that i have seen at various arcade auctions over the years,
I would tend to think more were produced than one would figure.

#8 10 months ago

bellystyle

Quoted from Mr68:Interesting thread for me as I love this game but I doubt it will garner much interest on Pinside as its a low production cocktail machine.
First a correction. Night Moves had a production run of around 870 according to Mr. Pinball Price guide. It's sister game, Carribean Cruise, around 377 production, again, according to the price guide. I have both machines.
Pictured first is my Night Moves. It has the low profile cabinet with the metal guards and standard shooter housing. I replaced the shooter rod and red is not how it came originally. Black I assume was standard and mine was cracked and therefore replaced with something on hand.
What irritated me was, I bought the Carribean Cruise to be a matched set with NM but the CC cabinet is slightly different and side by side it's a mismatch. In contrast, my CC has the deep cabinet with plastic guard, to my NM, which is the opposite with low profile and metal guards. See pictures.
BTW. It would seem that my Night Moves serial number was ink stamped in two different places inside the cabinet as #000443. I'm assuming that is the serial number as its all that I can find that seems appropriate... See third picture. Those serial numbers may provide some clues for you and then again, maybe not.
What number does yours show?
Cool thead, LunchMoney, how many NM's do you own? Any other cocktail machines or just NM?

Caribbean Cruise cab and playfield

#9 10 months ago

Yea I was trying to figure out the actual production run myself? Pinside states 450 NM were produced which seems like a pretty big gap to me from what you're reporting, 870 according to Mr. Pinball's Price guide? So they were made at the Gottlieb plant which I've heard has impeccable records. I wonder if someone could contact Steve Young perhaps, doesn't he have the rights?

Here's a cool little blurb I read about NM, a recount of the 1989 Gottlieb Factory tour part of the Pinball Expo written by Russ Jensen.

Capture.JPG

#10 10 months ago

I was told 450 is accurate from someone typically in the know on these things.

I think the reason you see them still around is because these were marketed to home people as a way to get in to the OP business (could fit it in a small space of your local bar).

Many regular Joes and Janes quickly learned that being an OP was not all it was sold to them as. The machine did not make money, were pushed out by established OPs, and were quickly sent back to peoples homes. 1989-1990 was a time when the majority of games went on routes, but with NM and CC they quickly went back in to homes (or never even made it to route as they sold poorly and stayed stacked on pallets in warehouses).

For 1989, I would guess the majority of the production run was in homes in short order.

#11 10 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was told 450 is accurate from someone typically in the know on these things.

I have no problem evaluating hard evidence, but seriously?, you heard it from some guy typically in the know?
Please name this expert, close friend of yours.

zzz1110 (resized).jpgzzz1111 (resized).jpg
#12 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I have no problem evaluating hard evidence, but seriously?, you heard it from some guy typically in the know? Please name this expert, close friend of yours.

Why did they not even get the date right, these are facts? lol And what does ICO stand for that makes no sense wouldn't it be ICI? Is it stating less than 870 or greater than 870 I'm confuses here? Also Whats the * referring to I don't have the guide?

International Concepts Inc (ICI), Night Moves 1989 & Caribbean Cruise 1990 whats so hard about that?

#13 10 months ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

And what does ICO stand for that makes no sense wouldn't it be ICI?

It stands for, International Concepts

Quoted from gmkalos:

Is it stating less than 870 or greater than 870 I'm confuses here?

It's stating, less than.

Nearly 30 years of data expertise in the Mr. Pinball Guide. It probably has some errors but I'd say it's way more credible than hearsay, wouldn't you?
But I'm open to new evidence if you or anyone will kindly provide it.
ZZZ001 (resized).jpgZZZ003 (2) (resized).jpgZZZ003 (resized).jpgZZZ004 (resized).jpgZZZ005 (resized).jpg

#14 10 months ago

I don't know, just solely based on the fact that they don't even have the manufactured year right stating it's a 1991 instead 1989? And the asterisk after the <870* he's blatantly saying this is an estimate with a 80% confidence level. Well going off of IPSND and their 14 registered serial numbers and 44 owners listed in peoples collection here in Pinside I'd say statically I'm leaning towards Pinside's estimate of 450 more.

Capture.JPG
#15 10 months ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

I don't know, just solely based on the fact that they don't even have the manufactured year right stating it's a 1991 instead 1989? And the asterisk after the &lt;870* he's blatantly saying this is an estimate with a 80% confidence level. Well going off of IPSND and their 14 registered serial numbers and 44 owners listed in peoples collection here in Pinside I'd say statically I'm leaning towards Pinside's estimate of 450 more.

spot on

#16 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Please name this expert, close friend of yours.

no need to share his name. He is an old time collector and was in the industry for years. I trust his opinion, esp when the tracked numbers line up.

I will laugh at quoting pinball price guide as facts. Do you use that to price games when you are buying and selling?

#17 10 months ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

I don't know, just solely based on the fact that they don't even have the manufactured year right stating it's a 1991 instead 1989? And the asterisk after the &lt;870* he's blatantly saying this is an estimate with a 80% confidence level. Well going off of IPSND and their 14 registered serial numbers and 44 owners listed in peoples collection here in Pinside I'd say statically I'm leaning towards Pinside's estimate of 450 more.

Thank you, that's good information to consider. Much better than making up bullshit stories about an old time collector with no name.

Quoted from Whysnow:

no need to share his name. He is an old time collector and was in the industry for years.

#18 10 months ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

Well going off of IPSND and their 14 registered serial numbers

The serial number database is an interesting lead but I'm not certain it proves your point. The database has determined and classified that the numbers submitted as being linear and not clustered. And those numbers begin in the 200 and go to the 900's and one could argue, all the way up to one of the numbers being in 1100. If only 450 were made, I'm surprised the number spread would be that large. But who knows.

Anyway, you provided me with a good tip and I enjoyed looking that up. And it does give food for thought. I'm wondering how anyone else might read something into those numbers.

Second screenshot I'm posting shows an explanation from the database explaining Linear and Clustered for all to read.
Serial number 1 (resized).pngSerial number explained (resized).png

#19 10 months ago

I knew there was a reason why I went there just lost focus, you're absolutely right! Sometimes manufactures do weird things like start at 200 and stuff like that but I think that's pretty solid evidence that there's about 800-900 units showing there in the somewhat sequential 14 serial numbers listed in the page. Perhaps with this thread we can convince some of the 44 people here on pinside to go register their serials so we may have a clearer view?

I have noticed a weird pattern to the serials, the metal only apron guards & slimmer cabinet with low pf angle are in the 400's and I'd consider that the 1st wave, the short apron guards & slimmer cabinet with low pf angle (like mine) are in the 200's and I'd consider that the 2nd wave (because I have the 2 holes in my apron for the previous center metal guard) finally the 3rd wave and the one I've personally seen the most of is the tall apron guards & deep cabinet seem to be in the 600's and up.

#20 10 months ago

Where is serial number at? I can go check mine if you want gmkalos.

#21 10 months ago

I have what I believe to be the last production pf made, which was from Jan 16 1990

#22 10 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Where is serial number at? I can go check mine if you want gmkalos.

Playfield date and serial number would be the most helpful, mine is 3/1/1989 (i think) the other date of NOV 29 ESC must be for the clear coat or vice versa? And my serial number is #000260. My game was really clean with less than 800 plays when I got it and virtually no wear.

The serial numbers are stamped around the coin box or inside the cabinet in ink, I found mine in small stickers right between the initials buttons, there also on every board sticker and stamped into the shooter rail.

Seems like reading the serials towards the end of the run they started stamping them on the shooter rail, looking at the last serial entry of 1190 (JUL 26 1991) they dropped the 000.
013.JPG018.JPG019.JPG

026.JPG

#23 10 months ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

Perhaps with this thread we can convince some of the 44 people here on pinside to go register their serials so we may have a clearer view?

Ugh. Now I’m going to have to go wrestle the glass off from my Night Moves. I hate taking that thing off. But, I do love a good (manufacturing) mystery.

#24 10 months ago

I have SN 053. Looks to be a very early machine?

Short metal apron, and shallow cabinet.

9C487C7A-83F9-4FAD-8049-A42718505E87 (resized).jpeg4812F712-8E44-4FB5-92DE-B944A02E716B (resized).jpeg7D9BE65F-AE35-41E8-9984-1E2B30B525A3 (resized).jpeg

#25 10 months ago

Interesting now that does seem like there being consecutive, you have to have the lowest SN man thanks! In this other thread the Cocktail Club another owner has a 1st run (metal apron guards and shallow cabinet) and his sn is 000383.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-cocktail-club/page/2

#26 10 months ago

Mine is stamped 009 on siderail of playfield (note the other pf i referenced w 1990 stamp is not in my game but a nos wall hanger i have)

#27 10 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Mine is stamped 009 on siderail of playfield (note the other pf i referenced w 1990 stamp is not in my game but a nos wall hanger i have)

Gotcha that must be a good felling to have a nos pf, probably one of the rarest nos pfs out there but because of the cocktail stigma not worth its weight in rarity...yet. lol The story from Todd Tuckey in one of the NM videos was that they were selling these poor home owners/failing operators nos parts must be where that came from.

Well you have the lowest number yet, now is yours a 1st run metal apron guard & shallow cabinet too, and do you have that Gameplan looking plunger handle bezel on yours? That's the only other variation I've seen yet.

f86f9220595abe745340b231856d8e86cf56557a (resized).jpg
#28 10 months ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

I knew there was a reason why I went there just lost focus, you're absolutely right! Sometimes manufactures do weird things like start at 200 and stuff like that but I think that's pretty solid evidence that there's about 800-900 units showing there in the somewhat sequential 14 serial numbers listed in the page.

I'm glad you agree and kudos to you for providing the lead and making this a team effort. I'd completely forgotten about the serial database and what a valuable tool it is.

Quoted from gmkalos:

Perhaps with this thread we can convince some of the 44 people here on pinside to go register their serials so we may have a clearer view?

That's a fantastic idea. If anyone is interested, here is a link to the database. http://www.ipsnd.net/

#29 10 months ago

ICO only made two games, NM and CC.

Please explain to me how if they used linear numbers there are so few of the 1200 supposed NM accounted for (we now have numbers as low as 009 and as high as 1190)?

Or do you think they did linear numbers for a certain time, then paused and started back up with a later number?

#30 10 months ago

I suppose you could ask the database as they were the ones that determined the numbers as being linear. And it certainly appears that way to me.
Why are you asking any of us?

Are you now going to laugh at the database as well as the pinball guide to fit your agenda?

Quoted from Whysnow:

I will laugh at quoting pinball price guide as facts.

#31 10 months ago

S/N 797 checking in.

22BC5544-7427-4FC0-BF29-C406E5BE4C1E (resized).jpeg87E475A4-E003-44DB-8367-40601B873D7D (resized).jpeg
#32 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I suppose you could ask the database as they were the ones that determined the numbers as being linear. And it certainly appears that way to me.
Why are you asking any of us?
Are you now going to laugh at the database as well as the pinball guide to fit your agenda?

you are the purported expert Kim, hence why I am asking you.

You claim ~ 800 and now your database and decree of linear number is saying almost 1200.

Just curious where all these games are at? Only a handful combined can be found on all of the various tracking sites, so it seems odd to believe that there are so many of these made back in 1989-90.

I do find it amusing that you think 14 in your database is enough to determine how they numbered a purported run of 800 plus machines, esp when people that worked at GTB have said that is not how games were numbered and that they often skewed high to make it look like things were selling better than they were (same tactic was apparently used for GamePlan).

You can use poor quality data and assumptions. Your data is about as worthwhile as the pinside published run of 450, but in this case the pinside run also fits the conclusion of total tracked games, what industry insiders have said, and what logic dictates from those that have kept a pulse on the relative rarity of many games over the past.

#33 10 months ago

Hey man, if you're happy with your imaginary, old time collector friend, (that you refuse to identify), then rock on buddy. I prefer facts over gossip and blind faith anyday.

Quoted from Whysnow:

you are the purported expert Kim, hence why I am asking you.

Quoted from Whysnow:

and now your database

Quoted from Whysnow:

I do find it amusing that you think 14 in your database

I find it amusing that you're trying to tell people I'm the expert and its my database. It was Gmkalos who brought it to everyone's attention and I thanked him for it. If you have been following the thread you would clearly know I am trying to figure all of this out along with others.

Where do you come up with such nonsense?

Quoted from MrArt2u:

S/N 797 checking in.

Thanks, MrArt2u. Hopefully others will post their numbers and we can work on this. I doubt we'll find anything conclusive but I'm finding it interesting.

#34 10 months ago

Well were seeing pretty consistent numbers from 1-1,200 ending in odds and evens. Who knows they could have only used like 1-20, 100-120, 200-220 etc. We are showing somewhat of a trend, looks like all the metal apron guards and slim cabinets are within serial numbers 1-400 ish and the deep cabinets are 600 and up? I think if we could pay closer attention to the 4 distinctive different types of NM's and maybe the placement of the stamped serial number inside the cabinet we may see a pattern?

#1 - Gameplan/Bally style shooter bezel w/metal apron guards and slim cabinet

#2 - Metal apron guards and slim cabinet

#3 - Short plastic apron guards and slim cabnet

#4 - Tall plastic apron guards and deep cabinet

Look I'll be the first one to blatantly say I only see 1-2 of these a year for sale, I've seen more Caribbean Cruises out there this past year or so.

#35 10 months ago

Someone must know somebody who has access to these Gottlieb/Premier records for this game, all of the other 4 games on IPDB made in the same factory at the same time are confirmed with exact counts?

#36 10 months ago

In 1989 the Gottlieb/Premier factory made 4 games all with around 2,000 units. That was their confirmed full production run probably spanning a few years just like NM has shown with the high numbers ending around 1992! And these were there main games, so it's not unreasonable that they cranked out about half of that quota for a side project like NM over the course of 3 years 1989-1992. Did not find any noticeable serial number similarities with these 4 games?

1 (resized).JPG
#37 10 months ago

A 1993 Gottlieb/Premier factory tour with John Norris passes by this small line up of short wide boxes of "old games", could be a bunch of Night Moves or Caribbean Cruise games?

http://mediaburn.org/video/chicago-slices-raw-pinball-wizard/

Capture.JPG

#38 10 months ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

A 1993 Gottlieb/Premier factory tour with John Norris passes by this small line up of short wide boxes of "old games", could be a bunch of Night Moves or Caribbean Cruise games?

Very cool. Video!

I think he is referring to those old games as bell ringer and mushroom world???

#39 10 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Very cool. Video!
I think he is referring to those old games as bell ringer and mushroom world???

Yea I was looking at them but I think there too big to fit into those boxes and there kind of walking threw the storage area of the warehouse there. Later you see all those Mushroom world games stacked up further back. They seem to be about the right size and rectangular shape of the cocktails too? Ahh who knows this is purely speculation!

#41 10 months ago

In one of the Carribean Cruise that i had at one time, there was some paperwork from ICO
with dates of 1992 (kind of a bill of sale),
So leads me to believe that either they made these games on demand over a period of years
or they sold so poorly they were selling old stock out of warehouse stashes years after production stopped.

#42 10 months ago

I spoke with Steve Young of Pinball Resources concerning this thread and asked him about the Night Moves production numbers. He said he might have records somewhere, but he was unaware of any and they would be buried in a warehouse nightmare if he did. It was great to chat with him but understanbly he doesn't have time for that.

Steve was already aware of this thread and he gave me some advice about posting on Pinside. I'll keep his advice private but we had a good laugh about things.

#43 10 months ago

Hey, there's me!

Capture7.JPG
1 month later
#44 9 months ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

[quoted image]

In that video it was a conga line of MIB Night Moves & Caribbean Cruise MIB here was another few MIB found in a storage locker auction recently! Note the markings on the side of the box.

1ab2e6aa5c171e39425046d0a3634ec36e3ce91d (resized).jpg880af489fd5190e8aadd6dd77ed89878208c76bf (resized).jpg

#45 8 months ago

Just wanted tot throw this out there since this has become the "Official" NM club, has anybody noticed that on the display it calls itself "Night Movers" weird huh?

002 (resized).JPG
#46 8 months ago

At first I thought that was a mistake too. But then I thought about it. It’s not showing the name of the game, it’s describing something else, in this case the high scorers, so NIGHT MOVERS is correct. What do you call people who win? Why winners of course, just as you’d call people who move in the night “night movers”.

3 months later
#47 5 months ago

I wish to join in on this unofficial Night Moves club. I bought my NM a few months ago, and love it! There's so much more to it compared to the coctail tables from the late 1970's. The number stamped inside my cabinet is 000560, and the playfield is dated Feb 1, 1990. There's also an inspection label on one of the coin mechs. from Coin Controls, Inc. dated March 14, 1990. I read somewhere that this was the last title, by International Concepts, Gottlieb, or otherwise, that used the system 80b. Does anyone know if this is this true?

#48 5 months ago

Tim Arnold , being a Gottlieb aficionado, would he know??

4 months later
#49 43 days ago

I stumbled on this video and was reminded about this thread. Todd Tuckey of TNT is previewing a Caribbean Cruise in this video, the sister game to Night Moves.

Quote from Todd: ""Night Moves, they made a boatload of. I'm not sure of how many but a lot more than this"". (Caribbean Cruise)

The entire video is worthwhile but you can jump to the 1:35 mark to hear the entire quote in context.

I'm more than confident now that the production run of Night Moves is around 870 as stated in the Mr. Pinball Guide. Those two things combine with our serial number comparison in this thread.

Note: Caribbean Cruise production is 377.

#50 43 days ago

I have owned 3 different Night Moves and once bought 2 Carribean Cruises from a private party;
and have seen about a dozen more over the years of each at shows and auctions,
so they are not all that rare.

ooopps
Basically said the same thing on this topic
some 8 months ago.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.00
$ 84.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
£ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 104.00
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
Various Other Swag
Shoot Again Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside