(Topic ID: 356279)

$3/Credit Now?!!!!! And we thought $2 was brutal..

By MitchMitchell

70 days ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 248 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 64 days ago by swampwiz
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MV5BYTZhZDAxMTQtMzBmZi00ZjJhLWFlNzEtZmRiNGQ2N2E0YjBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    D5280486-EC93-4894-AEBC-7956219D7E78.gif
    Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 6.45.58?PM (resized).png
    _ad1815a9-b0ec-4c1a-8f4c-be07ca871136 (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190316_164551 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20190316_164139 (resized).jpg
    canyon (resized).png
    zoodude.png
    share_5824047134641713554 (resized).png
    2463f1 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-14-12-23-26-08_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    9D30F7A4-6DC4-479B-95A6-164029E30BA4 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240513_203236_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240513_203308_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #201 67 days ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I feel like we need to document the final Zoodude post in case it is deleted. We could be facing years of snickers comments.
    Maybe we could also borrow "This is not your tribe" when someone is whining?
    [quoted image]

Ah it's ok...prob just needs a litte Pinside break.

#202 67 days ago

noted: some modern VR games are $5 or more to play on location and time to play can be less than a game of pinball. some redemption machines are $2 a play and its over in less than 5 seconds.
    How many times with pinball have you seen casuals/newbees play one ball and walk away thinking its over? ive seen it plenty of times at my locations.
    adding 4, 5 ball games with a certain increased price to play wont entice most anyone else, its the price to play period which is the first thing anyone looks at.

if people will not pay what i charge, im fine with pulling a pin and placing it with a game that costs 1/3rd and makes 10x more with less maintenance.
    with john wick im charging 6 credits. One could say its $1.50 but its actually not if you buy a 20 dollar card or more which gives you $5 more in free credits.
    also, on mondays and tuesdays we are 1/2 price to play so its even cheaper.

if it lessens the plays, im fine with that. the setup will be fair..if it doesnt earn well, ill pull it and replace with a modern redemption game that costs less and earns more.
    pretty simple.

#204 67 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

So if you put .50 cents into BK or BH (first .50 pins) or Dragons Lair (first .50 arcade) then that would be the same as $2 today
    ... and those games didn't even have ballsave.
    You can't bitch too much about $2 on a game that is much harder to service, and often requires new boards rather than field soldering.[quoted image]

I don't know man...... arcades were booming in the early 90's with Street Fighter - and it was a quarter.
    I remember when TILT got a Sega Holosseum and my friends were all looking at it "Wow!!! That's amazing!!!...... Two dollars?!?!?!..... No one played it. No one. Not us, not other arcade goers. What's the point of an expensive game if you price the play out of reach?

A couple years back they had a Star Wars Battle Pod at the local Cinemark..... very impressive. Big spherical screen, you had to open side panels to climb inside. It was five bucks a play. About six months later it was gone. I asked a theatre worker what happened to it, they told me people were abusing the machine because it cost so much to play and didn't last long. Those machines were about the same price as a EJ CE. Imagine five bucks to play pinball.

#205 67 days ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

I don't know man...... arcades were booming in the early 90's with Street Fighter - and it was a quarter.
    I remember when TILT got a Sega Holosseum and my friends were all looking at it "Wow!!! That's amazing!!!...... Two dollars?!?!?!..... No one played it. No one. Not us, not other arcade goers. What's the point of an expensive game if you price the play out of reach?
    A couple years back they had a Star Wars Battle Pod at the local Cinemark..... very impressive. Big spherical screen, you had to open side panels to climb inside. It was five bucks a play. About six months later it was gone. I asked a theatre worker what happened to it, they told me people were abusing the machine because it cost so much to play and didn't last long. Those machines were about the same price as a EJ CE. Imagine five bucks to play pinball.

I totally remember Holosseum being at our local arcade, and I don’t think I ever played it once…for that very reason. If mom gave me 10 or 20 bucks for the day (20 was a rare occasion) I wasn’t gonna risk blowing a big portion of my budget on just one game, especially when I didn’t know if the game was any good…or if I would last long enough on it to feel like I’d gotten my money’s worth. Sometimes I’d play games in near proximity to it, in hopes that maybe some “rich kid” would play it and I could run over there to get a front row spot to watch. I don’t recall ever seeing anyone play it. If I did ever see it being played, it must have been a dud. It certainly didn’t make an imprint in the ol’ memory banks.
    There is most definitely a “not worth it” point in my budget, even today.
    If the new games are $$$ then I might play once or twice, but then I’ll seek out the $$ or $ games. Plenty of fun to be had with the older titles, for less money.

#206 67 days ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

noted: some modern VR games are $5 or more to play on location and time to play can be less than a game of pinball. some redemption machines are $2 a play and its over in less than 5 seconds.
    How many times with pinball have you seen casuals/newbees play one ball and walk away thinking its over? ive seen it plenty of times at my locations.
    adding 4, 5 ball games with a certain increased price to play wont entice most anyone else, its the price to play period which is the first thing anyone looks at.
    if people will not pay what i charge, im fine with pulling a pin and placing it with a game that costs 1/3rd and makes 10x more with less maintenance.
    with john wick im charging 6 credits. One could say its $1.50 but its actually not if you buy a 20 dollar card or more which gives you $5 more in free credits.
    also, on mondays and tuesdays we are 1/2 price to play so its even cheaper.
    if it lessens the plays, im fine with that. the setup will be fair..if it doesnt earn well, ill pull it and replace with a modern redemption game that costs less and earns more.
    pretty simple.

Yeah, but those video machines earn like gangbusters compared to pinball, right? A lot of arcades have cleared out pinball entirely because it’s not worth the floor space compared to the other games. Point being: pinball can’t be both undesirable AND expensive to play.

#207 66 days ago
    Quoted from PinStalker:

By the time the early 90s came around, it's believable that SF1 credit price had been lowered to .25 cents, because SFII was already out for .50 cents

Remember when Canyon Bomber was 2 or 4 credits for a quarter? That was not the original 1970s price, but in the early 80s, it was a good game to keep the younger kids occupied while adults were spending full price on current games.

Many arcades had tokens for 1/2 price on Tuesdays or weekdays before noon. So a smart player would buy all her tokens for 1/2 price, then return with them anytime.

canyon (resized).pngcanyon (resized).png
    #208 66 days ago

This thread makes me want to pull the trigger on a new Stern just to put it out at $2, so I can watch with joy as 3 whole pinheads come in and blow a gasket at such a nauseating, vile notion.

#209 66 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This thread makes me want to pull the trigger on a new Stern just to put it out at $2, so I can watch with joy as 3 whole pinheads come in and blow a gasket at such a nauseating, vile notion.

Do it! You won't

#210 66 days ago

I stumbled into an Arcade last year and was excited to play some pinball.Couldnt find 1 pinball machine in the place so I left no quarters.

#211 66 days ago

Keeping on topic...
    For the OP... Round these parts,

Modern [newest Sterns and the like] pinball plays are $1. There are multiple locations in Cincy where pre-2000 games are still .50 and .25 per play as well. If it's $3 at all locations where you live, that's absurdly expensive.

For the Rage Quitter,
    Here, a king size Snickers [3.29 oz.] retails for around 3.49. He was just confused.

As other's have mentioned, for regular size Snickers [1.86 oz.], the retail price hovers around $1.25-$1.49, depending where you shop. (They are actually still $1 in our vending machines at work!)

I only felt the need to beat the dead horse because I play a LOT of local pinball and I also eat a LOT of Snicker's. The more you know!

#212 66 days ago

Apparently we need a Snickers themed pin! And in the spirit of making things expensive and difficult, each came costs 1.49!

#213 66 days ago

A redemption game that spits out Snickers bars might be good.

#214 66 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Many arcades had tokens for 1/2 price on Tuesdays or weekdays before noon. So a smart player would buy all her tokens for 1/2 price, then return with them anytime.

And made other days with less income. Helped speed their demise. Especially when the fad ended and token wars was on. 5 for a dollar, 10 for a dollar, 20 for a dollar, etc. etc. May as well jump off the cliff quicker.

LTG : )

#215 66 days ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

I have a machine that spits out kit-kats.

IMG_20190316_164139 (resized).jpgIMG_20190316_164139 (resized).jpgIMG_20190316_164551 (resized).jpgIMG_20190316_164551 (resized).jpg
    #216 66 days ago
    Quoted from yaksplat:

I have a machine that spits out kit-kats.

This is super cool!

#217 66 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And made other days with less income. Helped speed their demise. Especially when the fad ended and token wars was on. 5 for a dollar, 10 for a dollar, 20 for a dollar, etc. etc. May as well jump off the cliff quicker.

My favorite was sorting out all the competition's tokens, and then calling them for a "hostage swap" every once in a while, to get your own back.

"I thought you were running .98s ???"

"Yeah, we were, but Aladdin's starting using them, so we went to .9s.....and that's when we started getting all of yours"

"Som-bitch, I love advertising for your arcade, lol"

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
    #218 66 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And there you have the perfect example of "a race to the bottom".

#219 66 days ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

Somebody sequel Safe Cracker , but now it fires Snickers directly into the player's open mouth!

#220 66 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

By the time the early 90s came around, it's believable that SF1 credit price had been lowered to .25 cents, because SFII was already out for .50 cents

it was the same with pinball. In the 90s new games were 50 cents, and games from the 80s that had been were reduced to a quarter.

#221 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It's all relative to what kind of mood and state of mind you are in at any given time.
    [quoted image]

Validation Code is 98877

#222 66 days ago
    Quoted from smalltownguy:

Validation Code is 98877

Thanks! But I liked Weinershiztel better when they just sent out coupons. That stopped a few weeks ago.

I was slightly buzzed and my daughter was out and called and I said how bout just picking me up a chili cheese dog, a corn dog, and a chile cheese fries and she got a few items for herself. When she got back I said how much was all of it, $15? She shook her head. $20? Still shook her head? $30? yep.

But we ate all of it and she said the place was packed.

#223 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But we ate all of it

2590 calories for $27.73 before tax? Not bad considering you two split an entire day's worth of food for one adult. And you didn't have to shop for groceries or cook it. In summary, 'mericans are fat & lazy, thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

#224 66 days ago
    Quoted from yancy:

2590 calories for $27.73 before tax? Not bad considering you two split an entire day's worth of food for one adult. And you didn't have to shop for groceries or cook it. In summary, 'mericans are fat & lazy, thanks for coming to my Ted talk.

No, that was the second meal of the day on top of about ten regular Coors and I burn it all. She works out too much to get fat herself.

The Tuesday KFC deal is much better. We got an 8 piece bucket, large mash potatoes and gravy, and a couple biscuits for under $20 and still have a few pieces left for later today.

#225 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

No, that was the second meal of the day on top of about ten regular Coors and I burn it all. She works out too much to get fat herself.
    The Tuesday KFC deal is much better. We got an 8 piece bucket, large mash potatoes and gravy, and a couple biscuits for under $20 and still have a few pieces left for later today.

Oh my!

#226 66 days ago

Well it could have been 15 Coors, but after a while sometimes I just lose track. Or who's really counting.

Stater Bros sells 24 packs of the stubby bottles for $17.99, so I always stock up when I am there.

#227 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Stater Bros sells 24 packs of the stubby bottles for $17.99,

Neve understood why the refuse to make Silver Bullet in those shorties

#228 66 days ago

AI is even worse with words than fingers. I think most guys would be pretty excited about $3 per lay, but you get the point.

_ad1815a9-b0ec-4c1a-8f4c-be07ca871136 (resized).jpeg_ad1815a9-b0ec-4c1a-8f4c-be07ca871136 (resized).jpeg
    #229 66 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Neve understood why the refuse to make Silver Bullet in those shorties

That doesn't bother me as I like regular. And Stater's has the freshest. Hate sorting through expired beer and driving all over town. Coors is interesting as it expires about two months before the date on the package. Three months is near new. Two and a half is my limit. I'm drinking Aug. 26 right now.

#230 66 days ago

Why does AI refuse to acknowledge the existence of flippers on pinball machines?

This is the tech we are all worried about replacing us ?

#231 66 days ago

Went into a small arcade recently to play a little pinball while traveling. I don’t usually play on location since I’ve got my own games and play in a league. The price range was $2 for the turds, $3 for good but older games, and….$5 (!!!) for new releases. Played a few games anyway, but wouldn’t do it again.

#232 66 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That doesn't bother me as I like regular. And Stater's has the freshest. Hate sorting through expired beer and driving all over town. Coors is interesting as it expires about two months before the date on the package. Three months is near new. Two and a half is my limit. I'm drinking Aug. 26 right now.

It's important for one to have standards when it comes to economical beer.

And ... at those prices, more money available for $3 per play pinball!

#233 66 days ago
    Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Went into a small arcade recently to play a little pinball while traveling. I don’t usually play on location since I’ve got my own games and play in a league. The price range was $2 for the turds, $3 for good but older games, and….$5 (!!!) for new releases. Played a few games anyway, but wouldn’t do it again.

Where is this location? Buck a game here for new titles.

#234 66 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why does AI refuse to acknowledge the existence of flippers on pinball machines?
    This is the tech we are all worried about replacing us ?

I mean, it makes people with hands too jacked up to hit the buttons anyway, so....fair enough?

#235 66 days ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

It's important for one to have standards when it comes to economical beer.
    And ... at those prices, more money available for $3 per play pinball!

Not until they bring back Speedy. Or Slick Chick.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 6.45.58?PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-05-15 at 6.45.58?PM (resized).png
    #236 66 days ago

$2 for the turds, $3 for good but older games, and….$5 (!!!) for new releases.

That’s nearly a gallon of gas out here!!

D5280486-EC93-4894-AEBC-7956219D7E78.gifD5280486-EC93-4894-AEBC-7956219D7E78.gif

#237 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Thanks! But I liked Weinershiztel better when they just sent out coupons. That stopped a few weeks ago.
    I was slightly buzzed and my daughter was out and called and I said how bout just picking me up a chili cheese dog, a corn dog, and a chile cheese fries and she got a few items for herself. When she got back I said how much was all of it, $15? She shook her head. $20? Still shook her head? $30? yep.
    But we ate all of it and she said the place was packed.

The Weinerschnitzel by me closed a couple of months ago. It was bulldozed on Monday. Going in its place; Raising Cane's.

#238 65 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Stater Bros. FTW. Shopped there for junk food & Iced Tea when I was in Anaheim for the Indian Gaming Show recently.

#239 65 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Going in its place; Raising Cane's.

So a restaurant with a dozen different foods is replaced by a menu of like, two. We're a couple steps away from soylent green.

#240 65 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Where is this location? Buck a game here for new titles.

About an hour north of San Francisco. Buck a game is great for location players. I wonder how that pencils out for operators at current machine prices.

#241 65 days ago

About an hour north of San Francisco. Buck a game is great for location players. I wonder how that pencils out for operators at current machine prices.

Locations are doing great here. I was at a location when they were emptying the cash boxes, and they were filling 5 gallon buckets with quarters.

#242 65 days ago
    Quoted from yancy:

So a restaurant with a dozen different foods is replaced by a menu of like, two. We're a couple steps away from soylent green.

At least we've still got Sonic.

MV5BYTZhZDAxMTQtMzBmZi00ZjJhLWFlNzEtZmRiNGQ2N2E0YjBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BYTZhZDAxMTQtMzBmZi00ZjJhLWFlNzEtZmRiNGQ2N2E0YjBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    #243 65 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Locations are doing great here. I was at a location when they were emptying the cash boxes, and they were filling 5 gallon buckets with quarters.

how often do they collect? how much time for maintenance and for money parts was spent between collections? do they own the games or is an operator splitting with a location?
    they still will not earn as much as other redemption games that cost less.
    They can be cheap to play as they want, in the end it will take its toll. been there done that.

while the price to buy a machine has doubled (not to mention parts) since family guy, 24, tron, iron man, wof, potc, bdk, csi, etc.
    they still earn the same on location...thats the failure.

#244 65 days ago

Price has gone down for me locally. Operator charges $1/three games. Replay scores set low and I’m guessing a 10% match too.

Not old junk either. FF, AIQ, LZ, GB -all pros. They could take care of them better but at that price I’m not complaining.

#245 65 days ago

late to the party, but i did just get my first game of EJ in last week at 4B's in Seattle and it was $1/play, by far the most expensive pin i've dropped quarters into locally ever. they also had a LCA for a quarter and Fathom for .50 which between the two got more of my money than EJ did.

as a small-time op in the Seattle area, with a huge amount of competition, i charge .75 or 3 for $2 on my newest games (CCR, Foo, Mando, Stern JP, a few others) and .50 for almost everything else. waiting on my Labyrinth which will probably be our first $1 game, but that location lets me keep 100% which helps. do i make much money? heck no, sure glad i'm not trying to live on the income, but it has bought me a nice collection over the years.

had a customer commenting to his spouse a few weeks ago about how "expensive" my games were and i casually explained what a new machine costs these days and that many places charge [sometimes significantly] more and he at least said, "Ah, I see" before walking out and not playing any of them.

#246 65 days ago
    Quoted from mc300baud:

had a customer commenting to his spouse a few weeks ago about how "expensive" my games were and i casually explained what a new machine costs these days and that many places charge [sometimes significantly] more and he at least said, "Ah, I see" before walking out and not playing any of them.

No problem. Not the kind of customers you are trying to cultivate.

#247 64 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No problem. Not the kind of customers you are trying to cultivate.

nope, not really, but who knows. it's a quite popular pizza joint and it seemed like their first time in and they were just looking around after finishing their pie. he at least was waxing nostalgic about pinball which i'm pretty sure he hasn't played in several decades.

#248 64 days ago

Except for this one Premier pin that was in a dive bar I was somewhat a regular at in the mid '90s (my friend was the real regular, and he would play it, LOL) at 50¢, I've never paid more than 25¢ per credit.

The pre-1973 pins in my herd have the standard credit price is 10 ¢ for 1, or 25¢ for 3, and with a steady rise in price as per The Great Inflation, leveling off to 25¢ for the newest, late '80s tits le. I also have a 1980 Zaccaria that is 10 öS‎ for 2 credits, but an American market Zacc from 1983 has the price of 25¢, which is a lower price.

There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.