Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by adol75
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you set YOUR HUO Pins to 3 or 5 BALLS?”

• 3 149 votes
      77%
    • 5 44 votes
      23%

(193 votes)

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

All my machines are set to 5 balls, It seems that true "PINHEADS" keep their own machines at 3 balls.
    Am I cheating or just want to enjoy the Pin longer?

#2 4 years ago

I mostly keep things at factory defaults.

3 for solid state, 5 for EM.

#3 4 years ago

For me depends on the game. On creech I have it set for 5 to give people a chance to get multi ball. TZ is set 3. Power play is 5

#4 4 years ago

All at3

#5 4 years ago

3 always.

#6 4 years ago

3 for SS, 5 for EM

#8 4 years ago

If a game comes set on three balls it should stay on three balls so then when you compare scores you know where you're at but if you want to have long games and see as much as of pin as you can that's fine . Do whatever you want .

#9 4 years ago

I suck at pinball, so I need 5 balls minimum.

#10 4 years ago

I set all my games at 3 balls unless it's an EM.

#11 4 years ago

All at 3 balls but have EB's based on scoring. I need it especially for Star Wars.

#12 4 years ago

I read a lot replies that stated 3 balls for solid state 5 for E.M.s...Why the schism? E.M.s where designed with the same philosophy as today's SS machines. Games had to attract players and entice them to "insert coin here". The game had to be novel and a challenge. Novelty was an important aspect to excite interest. Challenge was equally important for the operator to maintain a healthy revenue stream. Upsetting the balance was the ultimate goal for the accomplished player. It worked 50 years ago as it does today. It interesting to me that most "solid staters" assume or desire the E.M.s to be set to five balls. Its probably because E.M.s have a much shorter ball lifespan compared to SS. Hence, the SStaters desire to set them to 5. But I find that setting them to five shunts the very essence of what EM's were all about. Just like a hot blonde bombshell. Its going to cost you money to spend more time with them...unless you are really good.

Nothing against SS. I enjoy them as much as EMs. But, a true pinhead sets those old girls for three balls and the chase begins.

#13 4 years ago

I only have 2 pins that are HUO. So since they're DMD games, 3 ball.

3 ball for all games except EMs which are 5 ball. If you can turn extra balls off, then extra balls are turned off.

#14 4 years ago

5 balls with every EB I can get when I first get a pin. I'd much rather play on my own than watch a video of some dude playing with the glass off.

Once I've figured out the modes/shots/scoring I will start dialing back the EB.

Once I know exactly what to do, 4 and then 3 balls.

when friends visit - 3 balls.

#15 4 years ago

3 but with replay/score rewards set to EB

#16 4 years ago

WOZ on 5, TSPP on 3. Woz is too unforgiving to be enjoyed in 3 balls and Tspp is the opposite

#17 4 years ago

I usually start with 5 when I get a new game, so I can get used to the shots. My kid likes ALL the games on 5-ball, but that gets a bit too long for me, so they eventually migrate back to 3.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some EMs. But I’ll get to that...

Quoted from sirisles:

Am I cheating or just want to enjoy the Pin longer?

The first rule of pinball... your games, your rules. Always set up your games the way YOU enjoy them the most. I can’t express how important that is. If you enjoy it as 5 balls with 5 extra balls at low scores, do it. If you enjoy rubber bands blocking the outlines, do it (not kidding, I’ve seen it). This is an awesome hobby, and you should always do it the way you like them. Screw what anyone else says.

Personally, I also like solid state on 3 ball. I keep extra balls set to reasonable on a game by game basis.

EM games are on a case by case basis. It really depends on the game. I own a 4 Square that is brutal, and you need 5 balls just to have a fighting chance. It feels natural. But other EMs feel more natural on 3 ball. Team One, JJ, and SC all feel right to me on 3 ball. It all depends on the game.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from TwinDavid:

I read a lot replies that stated 3 balls for solid state 5 for E.M.s...Why the schism?

It probably depends on the game but there are enough EMs where a third of your balls are house balls with no chance to save it. I've played three ball EM games without a chance to flip, and I'd like to actual play a little.

#20 4 years ago

Whatever makes you happy!

#21 4 years ago

If you have a ss game set to 5 ball, you should forfeit your two balls.

#22 4 years ago

It all used to be 5 balls. Then came greed and higher prices to play. Part of the price increase was setting machines to 3 balls. This was pretty much done sometime after the early solid states came out. My EMs are set to 5. I play around with the others depending on how far I get.

#23 4 years ago

My games are at factory default. Usually EM 5 ball, SS 3 ball.

#24 4 years ago

Me, I like 3 balls. 5 balls are too many, I feel like games become too long. Somehow the excitement is higher with only 3 balls, each ball has a meaning. If I get an extra ball I feel like I earned it. I have 2 EM games, both are set at 3 balls and sometimes I come close to the score resetting back to zero. If I had 5 balls, the score would reset sometimes and don’t want this to happen.

#25 4 years ago

Most EM's at 5 balls and most SS at 3 balls. I don't really like to make a lot of changes in the setting so usually factory default, free play. I do set award extra ball for scores and or special when I first get a game. Then as I get better at the game I change it back to factory default.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrDucks:

It probably depends on the game but there are enough EMs where a third of your balls are house balls with no chance to save it. I've played three ball EM games without a chance to flip, and I'd like to actual play a little.

Exactly, all depends on the game, EM or solid state.

I have most of mine set to 5 ball, but a few are set to 3 if I perceive the game being too easy and then I'll tighten up settings.

FYI some EM the lowest setting is 5 ball, Hearts and Spades can be set as high as 8. I think Pleasure Isle is another because it takes 5 shots to have a chance at lighting the special.

#27 4 years ago

All set on 5 balls, I want my grandchildren to learn and remain interested.

#28 4 years ago

Factory default for ball count. Should be a poll option.

#29 4 years ago

All on 5 balls. That way my kids and their friends (and are friends non pinheads) can play and learn the game.

#30 4 years ago

mine are all over the place ... 4 games on 3 balls , 1 game on 5 balls , 3 games on 4 balls & Safecracker is not applicable

#31 4 years ago

I’ve got, or had early ss games that really aren’t fair at 3 ball, so I’ve set them up at 5 ball. Case in point is Paragon... it can be a tough game to win at 5, but a killer at 3. You shouldn’t have to play a hundred games to win a game. Another early ss that I believe is fairer at 5 ball is Barracora. Tough game. I don’t like winning consistently, it gets boring. But, it’s aggravating to get your ass kicked always too.

#32 4 years ago

3 because I like to feel like I’m at the arcade. But set it to whatever you want. There is no shame. Make yourself happy.

#33 4 years ago

Factory settings, but for me one of the most satisfying shots is the extra ball shot. Comes from my times playing on location and wanting to get the most bang for my quarter. Extra balls = more time playing = more chance to win a replay = more time playing.

#34 4 years ago

I have always done three balls on SS games. EMs depend on the game; Astro, El Dorado and Top card were set for five balls as there were progressive goals the player was shooting for and setting to 3 balls felt off as the game makes adjustments for it. Astro for instance starts with a couple of the "Star Trek" letters lit in 3 ball mode which makes the game feel weird. Jungle Queen and Target Alpha on the other hand get set for 3 balls as they are pretty much point based objectives that reset after every ball and waiting for a four player Jungle Queen game set to 5 balls is a little much.

#35 4 years ago

All my machines are at 3. When I first picked up a Road Show, it was turned to 5 ball and left it that way for a little bit to get through all the modes. But after experiencing all the modes, I changed it back to 3 ball.

#36 4 years ago

When I was a young man I set my games on 5 balls. But you get stuck on more long bad games. Now all on 3 balls still have bad games but they don’t last as long.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Factory settings, but for me one of the most satisfying shots is the extra ball shot. Comes from my times playing on location and wanting to get the most bang for my quarter. Extra balls = more time playing = more chance to win a replay = more time playing.

I'm the exact same. I usually go factory settings which normally includes extra balls as designed. I like to play as true to the game's original vision as possible. I'll make some adjustments on games if like the outlane is a special award to give a credit instead of points of an extra ball since you don't really "earn" those. That's how I enjoy to play though. Do what gives you the most fun OP, they're your games!

#38 4 years ago

I had my EMs initially set at 5 balls then changed them to 3 balls. All my solid states are set to 5 balls.

#39 4 years ago

It feels like video games adopted the "3 lives" thing and then Pinball switched to it in the 80s. Just a theory.

The biggest problems with 5 on a DMD game is having to drain so many and wait on ball saves when you're trying to cancel out a game. One of the nicest things I've seen on a modern game is being able to hold down the start button to end the game. I'd consider 5 ball on JJP Pirates or TNA

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

What he said.

#41 4 years ago

Factory defaults for sure. I'm a purist in that sense. Adding 5 balls is probably OK to get/keep kids interested but as an adult I feel like it's an unwarranted handicap and gives a person much less of an incentive to become a better player.

#42 4 years ago

I had my 4 Square set on 3 balls when I first got it and then spent half an hour trying to trouble shoot why some of the numbers triggered another set of numbers to be lit up (ie 2 scored both 2 and 4). Then I realized that on 3 ball that was a normal feature to make the game more balanced. I changed it to 5 balls immediately.

Factory setting for me (unless I am just trying to see more of the game and I will set it for more balls for a minute).

#43 4 years ago

5 as that's how they were in the past.

#44 4 years ago

It depends on what EM it is. I've currently got 3 with Bronco and Spirit of 76 at 3 balls and Jumping Jack set at 5 balls. 3 balls for everything else.

#45 4 years ago

5 ball on all my games i bought them for fun & entertainment but they still kick my butt sometimes. Grew up playing 5 ball as a kid.

#46 4 years ago

Well you know what they say.........5 ball is cheating.

#47 4 years ago

When I got my first pin 4 years ago I set up at 5 balls. As my playing has improved I switched to 3 balls. And switching to 3 ball has forced me to get better, still.

#48 4 years ago

Well 'all this is very good ,and its up to U to find your enjoyment of your own collection! However,some of us older pinheads still prefer the 5 ball play!!3 ball play came into being when ops preferred the financial renumeration that 3 balls offered!! But,with 3 balls I can't enjoy playing that way!! 5 balls is where I started and 5 balls they will stay!! All personal preference!! U decide!!

#49 4 years ago

True pinheads think 3 balls are good.

#50 4 years ago

5 for JJP and 3 for everything else.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-balls-or-5-balls?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.