Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by adol75
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you set YOUR HUO Pins to 3 or 5 BALLS?”

• 3 149 votes
      77%
    • 5 44 votes
      23%

(193 votes)

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

5 as that's how they were in the past.

You’re in conflict with your user ID !

#52 4 years ago

Always 3 but I think it's a cultural habit. In France, all the pinballs I played in my youth were all in 3 balls. But I know that in our Belgian neighbors, it was more common for pinballs to be configured in 5 balls.

#53 4 years ago

I usually start with 5 for the first 20 games or so. I just want to get a feel for the game, flow, strategy, and rule set. After about 20 games or so I put the game back to factory settings.

1 week later
    #54 4 years ago

You can always set to 3 with attainable extra balls.

#55 4 years ago

Real men only need 2!!!!!

#56 4 years ago

“Do you set YOUR HUO Pins to 3 or 5 BALLS?”

Same as my formerly routed pins - 5 balls.

#57 4 years ago

I have 2

5 months later
    #58 3 years ago

so after reading this about 3 vs 5. i decided to try my LOTR on 5 balls. At first i was reluctant to play afraid that after i beat my 3 ball high score i would devalue my grand champion status. But what i discovered when i played 5 balls is that i started to enjoy the journey more. I took chances that i would have never taken knowing that i only had 3 balls. Dare say i think i have become a better player. I learned to make risky passes and pushed the machine to Tilting. As a matter of fact my three ball high score still stands but i have had explored a ton more of the game options. I may go back to three but I'm digging 5 right now

#59 3 years ago

I've had about 70 games ranging from the 50s to the 2000s, only one I've EVER set to 3 ball is my Fast Draw (and liberalizing the drain posts). Games last about as long as 5 ball with conservative post settings but the game rules that are changed on 3 ball just plain make it more fun. 3 ball tends to make a lot of objectives too easy, to make up for the two less balls IMO.

#60 3 years ago

EMs and early SS, 5 balls
    Alpha numeric and DMD, 3 balls

#61 3 years ago

WOZ has like a zillion extra balls though?

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from SocialDragon322:

True pinheads think 3 balls are good.

Really?? What is your definition of a true pinhead?? This auta be good

#63 3 years ago

3 ball on factory defaults. I wasn't aware people would play any other way here.

#64 3 years ago

When I have an EM I usually set it on 3 ball, but with the harder 5 ball rules.

#65 3 years ago

It all depends on how well you play and what you want from your own toys!!

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

WOZ has like a zillion extra balls though?

Extra ball is lit at the wizard saucer after 10 YBR shots - that's the only one that is easily accessible (unless you set special/replay awards to give extra balls). You have to get pretty far into the game to earn other ones. There are ball save challenges (TOTO and TNPLH) that let you win your ball back on an outlane drain. The first TOTO save only takes one ramp shot; the second time is pretty tough. TNPLH is hard.

#67 3 years ago
    Quoted from shiffdog:

Extra ball is lit at the wizard saucer after 10 YBR shots - that's the only one that is easily accessible (unless you set special/replay awards to give extra balls). You have to get pretty far into the game to earn other ones. There are ball save challenges (TOTO and TNPLH) that let you win your ball back on an outlane drain. The first TOTO save only takes one ramp shot; the second time is pretty tough. TNPLH is hard.

I remember playing that game and getting really frustrated with the left outlane drains. Once you figure the shots and learn to avoid that pop bumper, it can turn into a really long playing game. Pretty sure there is a random wizard extra ball award at some point and once you practice frenzy enough that one can be achievable early on. The horse one is hard.

1 week later
    #68 3 years ago
    Quoted from hocuslocus:

I remember playing that game and getting really frustrated with the left outlane drains. Once you figure the shots and learn to avoid that pop bumper, it can turn into a really long playing game. Pretty sure there is a random wizard extra ball award at some point and once you practice frenzy enough that one can be achievable early on. The horse one is hard.

And I still haven’t figured how to avoid that left outlane, so I use the 5 ball settings to compensate my lack of skills !
    I might go back to 3 balls though the kids don’t have the patience to play 5.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-balls-or-5-balls/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.