6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BLACK_ROSE
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which do you prefer 3 Ball or 5 Ball?”

• 3 Ball 106 votes
      63%
    • 5 Ball 63 votes
      37%

(169 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Dos.jpg
    images.jpeg

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

5 ball, wtf? Did you ever get 5 balls at the local arcade?
    I have never in my life played a 5 ball game on any DMD or SS game. EMs are the only exception. I can't imagine playing LOTR on 5 ball, that would take forever.
    Edit: I take that back, I've played 5 ball at PHOF. It sucked, 1st time playing AP and I gave up on ball 4 with 3 EBs stacked. Not fun to me.

I think alot of this is for older games. When I played SMDM on site it was 5 balls. The game is a little more brutal than newer games and odesnt give you another ball for draining it in 2 seconds. I like mine games on 5 balls, but they are older without ball saves.

#52 6 years ago

For me, EM's are the only games that should be 5 ball. Everywhere I have ever played on location in the past 20 some odd years has been 3-ball on anything 80s or newer. Especially in a home environment, I just find it too easy to unlock all the modes/get far in the game on 5-ball. I like the challenge of only 3, even if it can be frustrating at times.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Did you ever get 5 balls at the local arcade?

Yeah, more than not. Of course, it was in the same building as the skating rink and bowling alley, so I guess they figured mom and dad would spend more than enough on beer and bowling with friends to make up for the 50¢ lost to two more balls.

#54 6 years ago

To complicate things further, in the UK pinball leagues they set them to 4 balls, no extras!

IMHO they should be played at 3 balls, factory defaults as that's how they were balanced by the programmer.

You're only cheating yourself if you make the games too easy.

#55 6 years ago

I put my games on 4.... 3 on Black rose is a quick game, it's a drain machine, so I need it to set it at enough balls to be fun and not just frustrating. It also depends how good you are and how fast you have your machine set up. I set mine up to play fast, and I'm really not that great of a player. So whatever trips your trigger. Oh also I have a 5 and 7 year old at home, and they need it to be interesting as well, and 3 balls definitely doesn't get them anywhere in the game.

#56 6 years ago

Sorry, for me, pinball is 5 ball. EVERY game I played in Wildwood, NJ was 5 ball. When they started switching to 3 ball everyone was pissed because it was just a money making thing. (and, of course, at arcades, it caught on quick!)

#57 6 years ago

5 ball and easy settings is better if you have younger kids or a wife, like mine, who just started playing and enjoys the play more then the challenge.

#58 6 years ago

It's worth mentioning that a lot of Gottlieb EMs will have different scoring depending on whether you set them to 3 ball or 5 ball. I find the 3 ball scoring tends to be a little unbalanced (like for instance 1000 point pop bumpers on Royal Flush) so most every EM I've owned I've set to 5 ball.

Anything SS or later 3 ball all the way.

#59 6 years ago

<

Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:5 ball, wtf? Did you ever get 5 balls at the local arcade

Not that I'm aware of, but then again I didn't "OWN" the pinball machine.
    My 11 year old likes 5 ball.
    I don't get to play as much as I would like and I suck at it so,5 for me.

#60 6 years ago

<

Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:5 ball, wtf? Did you ever get 5 balls at the local arcade

Not that I'm aware of, but then again I didn't "OWN" the pinball machine.
    My 11 year old likes 5 ball.
    I don't get to play as much as I would like and I suck at it so,5 for me.

#62 6 years ago

I have everything on 3 ball except for my EM. I don't know anyone around me that does anything different. It is like this in every tournament, show, location or route I have ever been to. I also don't award extra balls for replays or anything like that. I usually won't get to the wizard modes on my games more than a few times a year, but that's part of what keeps me coming back! Any liberal settings on balls/extra balls is boarderline cheating, imho. If you want to do it for fun, that's fine, but don't go bragging about your scores and accomplishments because they are invalid.

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I have everything on 3 ball except for my EM. I don't know anyone around me that does anything different. It is like this in every tournament, show, location or route I have ever been to. I also don't award extra balls for replays or anything like that. I usually won't get to the wizard modes on my games more than a few times a year, but that's part of what keeps me coming back! Any liberal settings on balls/extra balls is boarderline cheating, imho. If you want to do it for fun, that's fine, but don't go bragging about your scores and accomplishments because they are invalid.

5 balls on XMEN yesterday with everything extra on, 69,500,000. Yah me!!

#64 6 years ago

I like 4 Balls!

image.jpg

#65 6 years ago

My game is always ...

image.jpg

#66 6 years ago

Nice pics. Can they do this by themselves or do you have to help them?

#67 6 years ago

I'm teaching my dog to do this trick....

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

All the pins were 5 balls for .25 at the arcades up till about the early to mid 90's, then they started playing with pricing... 5 balls for .50 then 3 balls .50 and so on.... All my machines are set to 5 ball. That's what they were in the arcades they came from. Of course I have no machines newer than 91'

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

5 balls untill you know the game, then set it to 3. Give extra balls instead of replays in options

This is the way I go too. Gotta learn the rules to make it more enjoyable.

#70 6 years ago

I tend to play factory settings (3 balls) but there's something to be said for warming up for tourneys. Right now I'm set on tournament settings, no extra balls, so PAPA here I come. Not that it will matter, haha.

#71 6 years ago

I stick to factory 3 balls, but I think I'm going to start changing it to 5 balls when non-pinball-playing friends come over. Nothing worse than someone getting turned off by a 40-second total game time.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

I'm 47. We did get 5 balls all the time at the local arcade, so that is what my family and friends are used to. 5 balls for a quarter. Everyone says now "WHAT! 3 balls for fifty cents...what a ripoff!" So all my games stay at 5 balls or I would be lynched.

#73 6 years ago

Well I actually got the wife to play TOTAN tonight set at 5 balls and she said it was too long for her. Can't seem to win. What else is new?

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Sorry, for me, pinball is 5 ball. EVERY game I played in Wildwood, NJ was 5 ball. When they started switching to 3 ball everyone was pissed because it was just a money making thing. (and, of course, at arcades, it caught on quick!)

That's right Ted, 3 ball sucks balls!

Ever seen the AT&T commercial, "More is better, its not complicated".....even kids know that....

More is better, its that simple Maybe its because I don't aspire to be a "tournament pinball player"

#75 6 years ago

wow this topic just surprised me...I have always gone 3 balls, always but am thinking once I retire my games out of the bar to my PinCave I am moving some to 5 balls \...F'it, I've always left mine on quarters and 3 balls...classic setup...but I am changing LOTR to 5 balls...2 hour games...yeah !

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from oropuro:

but I am changing LOTR to 5 balls...2 hour games...yeah !

Damn straight, the only way to play Lotr, 5 ball, everyone else cheats on 3 ball...

#77 6 years ago

Two balls is all that I need.

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Two balls is all that I need.

Ba-DUMP. perfect timing here.

#79 6 years ago

Got to have a plunger to go with the two Balls. )

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

That's right Ted, 3 ball sucks balls!
    Ever seen the AT&T commercial, "More is better, its not complicated".....even kids know that....
    More is better, its that simple Maybe its because I don't aspire to be a "tournament pinball player"

I like this one.

#81 6 years ago

Harder games on 5 for guests others on 3. I think 5 can make games too easy, to quickly.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

I have never in my life played a 5 ball game on any DMD or SS game.

Quoted from Finrod:

Yes I have. Black Knight 2000's settings everywhere I played it when it was new were $0.50/game, 5 balls/game.

Thank you. Glad someone remembers those days. I almost $hit myself when games went from 5 ball to 3 ball. I felt totally ripped off. Of course now I'm used to 3 ball, but if I find the occasional game on route that's 5 ball I kind of like it.

#83 6 years ago

I used to be on 5 for every game, but now find more fun on 3 balls. I do set the ball saver time way up but that's another subject.

#84 6 years ago

Default settings as the designer would want it! Yes, you can do what you want with *your* game, but I like to play the game with the intended challenge...not hit from the "ladies tees." I want to feel like I earned my birdie/eagle putt. To each his own though.

#85 6 years ago

Depends on the game and when it was manufactured. EM's usually deserve 5 ball, early SS's generally are better with 5. It gets tricky on alpha numerics and DMD's, but most seem better with 3 balls. Late SS's can go on and on and on, 5 ball is too much unless it's on something like Iron Man where most casual players only get 2 minutes of game time.

#86 6 years ago

As I remember DINER can be set for 9 balls........maybe other system 11's can too, not sure though. Anybody ever do that?

#87 6 years ago

I'm a 5-ball guy , Especially on IM !! BSD & HS2 I switch 5 to 3 every now & then to change up

I like 5-ball the Best ..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    RPGCor
    $ 15.95
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 249.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 1,400.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 259.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Mods for your pinballs
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside