Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor.gif
    North Star (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Colsond3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I leave all of my games set on 3 ball. 5 ball games just seem to last forever, and kill the competitiveness when you're playing head to head. Especially if you're playing an AAB EM, or a modern pin where you collect extra balls.

Now some EM's can be set to 5-ball, mainly because of short ball times. But modern games on 5-ball? Seems a little overkill and takes some of the fun out, especially when setting or trying to beat high scores. At least in my opinion.

What's yours?

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

I agree on short games - I'd rather play several quick 3-ball games than fewer but longer 5-ball games.

Totally agree. I correct myself also....not all of my games. I have my Vampire set on 5 due to the brutal "Jubilee-like" outlanes. Even a 5-ball game only last 5 minutes or so, if that. But even that game I switch back and forth between 3 and 5 occasionally.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffc:

Unless it makes more sense for 5-ball, like on North Star where you need to collect all 5 top rollovers.

Looking at the North Star PF, that makes sense. No access to rollovers from down below, unless you get a good bounce off the pops. But unlike newer games, EM's don't often have enough power to bounce the ball off the pops back up through the rollovers. Even that lucky bounce wouldn't be "skillful" playing.

And even if there was a path or access, 2 inch flippers don't often get the ball back to the top of the playfield in my experience.

Man...what a crazy PF layout on that pin. That's awesome.
    North Star (resized).jpgNorth Star (resized).jpg

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from HIPPY:

I have 8 modern games, also a MSF, a favorite, like you. I can’t imagine playing them 3 ball, although, at location, you have to.

That's a prime example for me though. Those 3 ball games on MSF where it totally kicks you in the nuts and it's over in 2 minutes makes me keep hitting that start button! Same thing with BSD.

But as Dave said, I don't care what other people set their games on and don't criticize. They can do whatever they want. Mine are just preference. Trying to beat some high scores I set (or others do) with only 3 balls is in itself an immense challenge sometimes.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Mods can, and should, choose to close pften repeated threads.

Stop chiming in with the same meaningless BS. I told Forceflow he could close it earlier in the thread.

How about just don’t visit the thread if the repetition offends you? Christ.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If nobody wants to discuss, then the thread will sink down the page pretty quickly. Such is the nature of discussion forums.

Out of the other 48 similar threads, this one will be the most epic 3 vs. 5 ball thread. I will bump it to the top forever (even if just to piss off @thelaw).

#51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

Was just thinking over the weekend about POSSIBLY setting my IMDN to 4 or 5 ball.

This is interesting...I've never set any game to 4-ball. I guess it would be a bonus if you don't get an extra ball...like the bonus timed sequence at the end of Space Station.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

o me it just has a bad ring to it, it's too strange.

It does sound weird...almost unnatural. Like an oddity. Still gonna try it.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I just wish there was a way to combine them all. I hate to lose posts/ideas from Pinsiders of the past.

I definitely second that opinion.

Unless it’s a Stern playfield dimpling or JJP critique thread, where people often go in and post the same statement in 15 different threads.

3 weeks later
    #66 3 years ago

Bumping back up for TheLaw

I actually set my BF to four ball games last night. Played a few. Felt really friggin weird.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Colsond3.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-ball-vs-5-ball-preference-and-history-banter?tu=Colsond3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.