Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor.gif
    North Star (resized).jpg

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 months ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

Was just thinking over the weekend about POSSIBLY setting my IMDN to 4 or 5 ball.

This is interesting...I've never set any game to 4-ball. I guess it would be a bonus if you don't get an extra ball...like the bonus timed sequence at the end of Space Station.

#52 8 months ago
    Quoted from Bohdi:

i just thought going to 4 or 5 ball will give me a good shot to see the entire game.

Four ball. To me it just has a bad ring to it, it's too strange. Three and five are naturals. Nobody ever said "I'll give you to 'til the count of four to do XYZ."

#53 8 months ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

o me it just has a bad ring to it, it's too strange.

It does sound weird...almost unnatural. Like an oddity. Still gonna try it.

#54 8 months ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Out of the other 48 similar threads, this one will be the most epic 3 vs. 5 ball thread.

tenor.gif
    #55 8 months ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Out of the other 48 similar threads, this one will be the most epic 3 vs. 5 ball thread. I will bump it to the top forever (even if just to piss off thelaw).

I just wish there was a way to combine them all. I hate to lose posts/ideas from Pinsiders of the past.

#56 8 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I just wish there was a way to combine them all. I hate to lose posts/ideas from Pinsiders of the past.

I definitely second that opinion.

Unless it’s a Stern playfield dimpling or JJP critique thread, where people often go in and post the same statement in 15 different threads.

#57 8 months ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Out of the other 48 similar threads, this one will be the most epic 3 vs. 5 ball thread. I will bump it to the top forever (even if just to piss off thelaw).

I'm in.

#58 8 months ago

Be careful, he said the same thing aboot his failed NFL thread

Only machine I have on 5 ball is Kings & Queens.

#59 8 months ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I definitely second that opinion.
    Unless it’s a Stern playfield dimpling or JJP critique thread, where people often go in and post the same statement in 15 different threads.

Hang on while I find my post in that old thread so I can paste it in this one...

#60 8 months ago
    Quoted from zaphod:

EM guy.
    Three balls with DC flippers/pops. Can I get an Amen for the Church of Rectification!
    Five balls on all the others.

Couple of years ago I got to play a Bally Skyrocket at TPF. It was pretty but "slow".

I recently got to play a Bally Sky Rocket that had been changed to DC flippers. That was nice. You could actually get the ball back to the top of the play field. Instead of unconsciously throwing my body weight around in a struggle to get the ball to move, I could just stand there and press the flipper button and properly nudge when needed.

The work of wiring in a bridge rectifier was so incredibly simple. I need to go back and get a picture of that setup.

So, here is your Amen for the Church of Rectification.

#61 8 months ago

I got my first pin in 2015. I set it to five ball play. I needed every one of those balls to get all of the correct lights lit up. Eventually, my playing got better and I went to 3 ball play.

I don't mind pushing the credit button after 3 balls. Especially since I am saving quarters by spending hundreds/thousands on my own pins.

The other day, I snagged a killer ball and lit everything up on Ball #1.

#62 8 months ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

i split the difference and have my games on 4 ball...

I split the difference even further and have my games on 4 1/2 balls..

#63 8 months ago
    Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

I split the difference even further and have my games on 4 1/2 balls..

I should have thought of that, but I now have my games set to 0 balls. I find I almost never have to wax the playfield and a set of new balls seem to last forever.

#64 8 months ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

I should have thought of that, but I now have my games set to 0 balls. I find I almost never have to wax the playfield and a set of new balls seem to last forever.

As a bonus it doubles as a work bench now.

#65 8 months ago

On the historical side, I wish to point out that most non-gambling games with trap holes require five balls for proper play. Typically, some big-reward feature can only be achieved on the 5th ball if the prior 4 balls ended in specific holes. From the flipper era, some examples are:
    Gottlieb Niagara
    Gottlieb Chinatown
    Gottlieb Crossroads (with a million-point shot!)
    Gottlieb Quartette
    Williams Olympics
    Williams Caravan
    Gottlieb Happy Days ("No out holes!")
    Gottlieb Coronation
    Williams Twenty Grand
    Gottlieb Flying High (a true classic trap-hole game)
    Gottlieb Shindig
    Williams #nine sisters
    Gottlieb Dragonette

On the other hand, some early Gottlieb 4-players, such as Score-Board , were fixed at 3-ball play only.
    .................David Marston

2 weeks later
    #66 7 months ago

Bumping back up for TheLaw

I actually set my BF to four ball games last night. Played a few. Felt really friggin weird.

#67 7 months ago

I used to have all but my fast playing wedgeheads (or any other game with 2 inch flippers) set to 3 ball, But guests wouldn’t finish the game and leave balls 4 and 5 on the table.

Now everything is 3 ball for the sake of consistency. Besides, I think games are better when they don’t last forever.

#68 7 months ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Besides, I think games are better when they don’t last forever

Great for the home environment. But when I dropped my dime, and then quarter, in the 60s, 30 seconds was an extended play session most of the time. If you got a killer ball, you might get 60 seconds . The move to 3-ball play sucked big time.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside