6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BLACK_ROSE
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which do you prefer 3 Ball or 5 Ball?”

• 3 Ball 106 votes
      63%
    • 5 Ball 63 votes
      37%

(169 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Dos.jpg
    images.jpeg

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I used to leave all my games set at 3 ball, but when I bought my new TOTAN it was on 5 ball and I have left it there. It actually seems a lot more fun that way as I have half a chance of making the wizard mode that way. I guess I am just an average player. Starting to think about changing all my other games to 5 balls. What are your opinions?

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from bearsfan27:

It actually seems a lot more fun that way as I have half a chance of making the wizard mode that way. I guess I am just an average player. Starting to think about changing all my other games to 5 balls. What are your opinions?

For the average players like us 5 ball for deep games is the way to go!.......

I have SM and NBA set on 4 ball, Lotr on 6 ball and WPT on 8 ball now!.....I play WPT all the time, its a journey and a blast to play and I'd never get to see all the great stuff in WPT if I left it on 4 ball...

#3 6 years ago

3 Balls on ALL pins, including TSPP!!

#4 6 years ago

If you allow extra balls I suggest leaving to 3 ball. I allow one extra ball per game and mine are set to three. Getting to a wizard mode should not be easy.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

If you allow extra balls I suggest leaving to 3 ball. I allow one extra ball per game and mine are set to three. Getting to a wizard mode should not be easy.

Agreed; factory settings (though sometimes I'll adjust ball save up a few seconds . . . I just moved Tron's ball save to seven seconds actually).

#6 6 years ago

For SS games the normal setting is 3 balls. For EM pins the normal setting is 5 balls. But it is your game, do as you like. Most pins in the wild are set on 3 balls. Try different settings. - Have Fun,

#7 6 years ago

EM's on five. Everything else on 3 and crank up the difficulty.

#8 6 years ago

It's basically "you're a man vs you're a vagina". Even 5 ball on EMs just seems wrong to me, but that is going rate.

Quoted from iceman44:

For the average players like us 5 ball for deep games is the way to go!.......
    I have SM and NBA set on 4 ball, Lotr on 6 ball and WPT on 8 ball now!.....I play WPT all the time, its a journey and a blast to play and I'd never get to see all the great stuff in WPT if I left it on 4 ball...

haha I knew you would be the first response to this.

#9 6 years ago

5 balls untill you know the game, then set it to 3. Give extra balls instead of replays in options

#10 6 years ago

I figured most folks will tell you 3 ball only but 5 ball is doing better in the poll than I expected. All said and done just set it up to have the most fun- for yourself. Play long and prosper.

#11 6 years ago

Three. On the tougher games I'll set the replay to give extra balls. I can accept that I'll never get to Valinor like that and I have only been to the Portal once. The games just seem out of proportion to me set on five.

#12 6 years ago

I am torn on 3 vs 5. I sometimes put my games on 5 balls, and love the new modes/things I get to see, as I get deeper/further into the game (I am not an expert player either), but for some reason, I feel guilty about having it set for 5 balls, like I am cheating or something, lol, even though they are my games, and it isnt cheating, lol, and wind up setting them back to 3 balls relatively quickly.
    Probaly a silly thing for me to get hung up on, and/or feel guilty about, but hey, what can I say, I guess I am a weirdo!?
    --Ed LI NY

#13 6 years ago

I leave them on five balls for guests. They tend to lose interest quickly if they can't get very far into a game.

#14 6 years ago

All my games are set to 3-ball with no buy-in. The only time my games are on five ball is when I first buy them from coasterguy ...

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

5 balls untill you know the game, then set it to 3. Give extra balls instead of replays in options

I like this idea. What good is a replay when it is in freeplay anyway. It will definitely help me to learn the game better this way. Maybe that is why I was liking it better. I am an old EM guy and the new rulesets can be pretty tough on us old guys. Thanks Luckydogg.

#16 6 years ago

I went 5 for quite a while, eventually went to 3 as I matured a little as a player, it was a tough adjustment and mrs. Flank was quite aggravated with me.

#17 6 years ago

I keep CFTBL on 5 balls because it's hard to get a simple multiball for less skilled players. The others are all 3.

#18 6 years ago

I had a few of my em machines on 3 ball .. thinking it would be more challenging - in fact it is NOT as the rule sets changes (it was easier) - so am back to 5 ball with all settings and post positions on 'conservative' for greatest difficulty

#19 6 years ago

5 on mine, keeps my kids and wife playing .

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from bearsfan27:

I used to leave all my games set at 3 ball, but when I bought my new TOTAN it was on 5 ball and I have left it there. It actually seems a lot more fun that way as I have half a chance of making the wizard mode that way. I guess I am just an average player. Starting to think about changing all my other games to 5 balls. What are your opinions?

I like to play the games the way they were designed to be played. 3 balls, factory settings. Replays are replays, not EB's. That way you can measure success against other people as well. 5 balls would be way too much for me on the vast majority of modern games.

#21 6 years ago

if the play is free 1 ball would be ok with me, but if im paying i would like 50. i would set it where ever you find is funest is.

#22 6 years ago

We have all of ours set to 5 balls. Bad Cats is getting too easy quick but my wife and I agreed, as mentioned above, we'll learn the game then drop the number back to three and the rules to harder. Besides, when the notion is fun over competitiveness, go with a longer game.

#23 6 years ago

As a non-owner I have zero control over it, but I still prefer 3-ball games when playing on location for the reasons quoted below. That's even after considering that I get more for my money on 5-ball games, all other things being equal.

I'd prefer to see the price per play lowered rather than the number of balls increased because when its not factory settings I always have a "This ain't right" feeling about my score in the back of my mind. Give me a 3 credits for $1 or 5 credits for $2 deal with factory settings (on a well-maintained machine) and I'm a happy paying customer.

Quoted from E_N_3:

...but for some reason, I feel guilty about having it set for 5 balls, like I am cheating or something, lol, even though they are my games, and it isnt cheating...

Quoted from LesManley:

I like to play the games the way they were designed to be played. 3 balls, factory settings. Replays are replays, not EB's. That way you can measure success against other people as well...

#24 6 years ago

Set the game up for however you enjoy it. If you play them enough to hone your skills you'll eventually set them all to 3 ball.

#25 6 years ago

3 ball on every game here. I can't imagine how long some games would go on if they were on 5 ball...

#26 6 years ago

3 ball for SS, 5 ball for EM, IMO of course.

#27 6 years ago

5 balls on and all my little brother can't stand 3 ball and well I have gotten used to it. I think if I played on 3 ball I would become a better player and value my balls more but until I become a amazing player they stay on 5 so I have a shot at getting deep in all my games.

#28 6 years ago

Mine are all on 3 except for whirlwind which is on 4. I had it up on 4 because when I first got it it was kicking my ass too much. I plan on dropping it back to 3 but haven't gotten around to it yet. I should mention that I still haven't hit wizard mode on any of my pins (i've gotten grand champ on whirlwind with the super cellar door mega whatever bonus). Closest I've come on 3 ball is always one continent away on ripleys or one planet away on my space jam. I may one day up them just to reach it but I like being able to get so close without doing it easily, gives me something to play for.

#29 6 years ago

I can never decide this so 4ball for my machines.

#30 6 years ago

I've got my Paragon with 3 balls per game , but set up with the other 5 ball settings to make the game as difficult as posable .

#31 6 years ago

3 ball and settings set to as difficult as possible...cause I am a MAN

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I like to play the games the way they were designed to be played. 3 balls, factory settings. Replays are replays, not EB's.

You must be good. I find the New STERN pins to be really hard. I go with 3 ball and make the replay fixed. And award an extra ball. Ball saver set longer on all my pinballs. Special set to award extra ball. I also set my pinballs up this way on location. Just as if it were in my home. I find the hard core player at my location are always going for a higher score and like the extra balls. Plus In need the extra coin. The Limited Editions are getting so expensive I will never make a profit.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

You must be good. I find the New STERN pins to be really hard. I go with 3 ball and make the replay fixed. And award an extra ball. Ball saver set longer on all my pinballs. Special set to award extra ball. I also set my pinballs up this way on location. Just as if it were in my home. I find the hard core player at my location are always going for a higher score and like the extra balls. Plus In need the extra coin. The Limited Editions are getting so expensive I will never make a profit.

Sterns ARE hard, but I have removed all my EB as well, makes it more of a challenge and is more like a tournament.

#34 6 years ago

5 balls keep you playing long enough to develop a set of skills.

#35 6 years ago

I set a Doctor Who to 10 balls once. I thought I would never finish the game. Of course, no one can beat my high score now. (shh)

I have mine set to six balls for troubleshooting, kids and inlaws. All rewards are ebs.

For myself, I need two games of 3 to warm up, then I can play.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

I find Avengers on regular factory three ball settings to simply be to difficult. I like challenges but avengers was crule and unusual punishment if not tuned down a bit.

#37 6 years ago

I can see it both ways, but for now everything stays on three balls.

#38 6 years ago

I have not do this on Avengers or X-Men . Yet and I stress 'Yet' But I have done it to Spider-Man . That is add an additional replay level for extra ball. You may add up to four.

#39 6 years ago

I am a newb and suck ass at pinball. 5 ball all the way! That way I trick myself into thinking I'm good.

#40 6 years ago

I can see it both ways, but for now everything stays on three balls.

Not to mention Im not surprised a Bear fan is on 5ball.....

Roughly 2 months till Football season is rocking!

images.jpeg

#41 6 years ago

5 ball, wtf? Did you ever get 5 balls at the local arcade?

I have never in my life played a 5 ball game on any DMD or SS game. EMs are the only exception. I can't imagine playing LOTR on 5 ball, that would take forever.

Edit: I take that back, I've played 5 ball at PHOF. It sucked, 1st time playing AP and I gave up on ball 4 with 3 EBs stacked. Not fun to me.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

I have never in my life played a 5 ball game on any DMD or SS game. EMs are the only exception. I can't imagine playing LOTR on 5 ball, that would take forever.
    Edit: I take that back, I've played 5 ball at PHOF. It sucked, 1st time playing AP and I gave up on ball 4 with 3 EBs stacked. Not fun to me.

#43 6 years ago

I'll move up ball saves, otherwise people get frustrated, but playing anything other than 3-ball is kinda boring and lame. Takes away a lot of the challenge. Just practice more. I mean, you have the pin in your house

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

I'll move up ball saves, otherwise people get frustrated, but playing anything other than 3-ball is kinda boring and lame. Takes away a lot of the challenge. Just practice more. I mean, you have the pin in your house

Well that's a nicer less egotistical way of putting it. Nice wording.

#45 6 years ago

used to have funhouse and ij set at 5 ball. others at 3 , tz , ss, afm, allows 1 buy-in.

#46 6 years ago

3 balls.
    Sometimes less after slam tilt.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Yes I have. Black Knight 2000's settings everywhere I played it when it was new were $0.50/game, 5 balls/game.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

I would become a better player and value my balls more

Tru dat.

#49 6 years ago

Always Factory 3 for me ; )

#50 6 years ago

Factory 3 Ball, because I want to keep my machines for many years, no need to rush through them.

Except for the kids table (SWEP1) where I cover the outlanes with 1" rubber ... shhhhh!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 289.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 12.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 159.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 11.00
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 114.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 169.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 9,999.99
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside