Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by onyxx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0264 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I'm replacing original rubbers and bands with super-bands and super-rubbers on my DP an am having a hard time replacing some of the 3/16" silicone rings. Does anyone have tips and trick on how to get these on without breaking my thumbs, these posts (6 posts) have six 5/16" and six 3/16" rings and the 5/16" rings slide right on after applying some pressure but the 3/16" are so snug that I only managed to fit one to a post but just can't get the rest on there. I have already replaced seven other 3/16" rings on other parts of the playfield and they were snug but with some force they got on - but these posts are killing me and my thumb is torn up and bleeding. The picture shows the posts with one new yellow 5/16" and old black 3/16" in place, on the bottom you can see one original black and new yellow 3/16" side by side, as you can see the hole is much smaller on the new yellow rings and I just got lucky getting one on.

Anyway, does anyone have any tricks on how to get these on?

IMG_0264 (resized).jpgIMG_0264 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago
    Quoted from onyxx:

I'm replacing original rubbers and bands with super-bands and super-rubbers on my DP an am having a hard time replacing some of the 3/16" silicone rings. Does anyone have tips and trick on how to get these on without breaking my thumbs, these posts (6 posts) have six 5/16" and six 3/16" rings and the 5/16" rings slide right on after applying some pressure but the 3/16" are so snug that I only managed to fit one to a post but just can't get the rest on there. I have already replaced seven other 3/16" rings on other parts of the playfield and they were snug but with some force they got on - but these posts are killing me and my thumb is torn up and bleeding. The picture shows the posts with one new yellow 5/16" and old black 3/16" in place, on the bottom you can see one original black and new yellow 3/16" side by side, as you can see the hole is much smaller on the new yellow rings and I just got lucky getting one on.
    [quoted image]

Silicone rings are brutal to get on. I had a terrible time with the small ones and the flipper rubbers.
    I heard boiling them in water can help but I’ve never tried it.
    Paging LTG

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Titans are brutal to get on.

He didn't say Titans. He's trying super bands. ( Pinball Life ? ) I've found them to be harder/stiffer.

LTG : )

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

He didn't say Titans. He's trying super bands. ( Pinball Life ? ) I've found them to be harder/stiffer.

Edited, my bad. Funny because I thought that while typing and forgot to change it!

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from onyxx:

The picture shows the posts with one new yellow 5/16" and old black 3/16" in place, on the bottom you can see one original black and new yellow 3/16" side by side, as you can see the hole is much smaller on the new yellow rings and I just got lucky getting one on.
    [quoted image]

Do you have a 3D printer?

#6 2 years ago

I haven't had that issue with the Titan silicone rings.

#7 2 years ago

Urethane rings are really tough and stiff to install.

I usually wet them with windex or sparkle to help slip them on.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I usually wet them with windex or sparkle to help slip them on.

Yup! I usually use Novus 1 to lubricant them. You can even use a low heat gun to warm them up a bit to make them more pliable.

#9 2 years ago

Ok what you need to do is hold it in your hand and run a hot torch on it for at least 5 min, don't worry about the burning skin because in the end its worth it

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Ok what you need to do is hold it in your hand and run a hot torch on it for at least 5 min, don't worry about the burning skin because in the end its worth it

so no tips nor tricks, just git good and take it like a man.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from onyxx:

funny, but maybe like we formed mouth guards for football can heat up some water in micro, stretch out with some pin punches

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You are right, these are super-bands and not Titans. Titans are a bit easier and I will purchase 6 of those in stead as I just can't get these on. Im done with the hole playfield and am down to the last six but they are just impossible, 265 pounds of muscle but broken by rubber bands

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

funny, but maybe like we formed mouth guards for football can heat up some water in micro, stretch out with some pin punches

Did that with boiling water thing with boxing and mma mouth guards as well, can try it out.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from onyxx:

Reason I asked about a 3D printer is you could print a small cone with a hole in it and screw it on, then roll the superband down the cone onto the post.

#15 2 years ago

Looked up the lane guide posts in my AFMr manual that look like what you show, and the spec is 3/16” ID. I used GITD colored Titans, and don’t recall any issues installing them.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Liquified human fat is the best lubricant out there. Ol’ veteran trick.
    Thanks, CF!

#17 2 years ago

An old girlfriend told me Silicone is much softer to the touch, than Urethane.

#18 2 years ago

Microwave a cup of water for 3 minutes. Drop rings in for about 15 seconds or so and they will slip right on. Don't microwave the rings, don't ask me how I know this

#19 2 years ago

Trying rolling it up a sharpened pencil, put the pencil in the post and then roll the ring down the post.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Reason I asked about a 3D printer is you could print a small cone with a hole in it and screw it on, then roll the superband down the cone onto the post.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Don't have a printer but I tried finding something suitable in the garage for the good sounding cone idea but of course nothing fits.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Microwave a cup of water for 3 minutes. Drop rings in for about 15 seconds or so and they will slip right on. Don't microwave the rings, don't ask me how I know this

Thanks, will try this tomorrow.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Trying rolling it up a sharpened pencil, put the pencil in the post and then roll the ring down the post.

Tried this already before I posted, found a metal shaft that was the same size as the posts on one end but just could't roll between the parts. I will try the warm water solution in the morning.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

^This worked like a charm. Boiled a small pot of water and let it cool for a minute before throwing in the rings for 10 seconds, made it fairly easy to swap them out. Thanks Hayfarmer and all others that threw in suggestions

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/3-16-silicone-rings-to-snug-to-get-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.