• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

My first thought is hacking that, the price is good. This would be assuming it is a playable form factor with riser. I have been trying to figure out a way to make a full MAME setup somewhat on the cheap. Cabinets kits are expensive, such as $750 here: https://gameroomsolutions.com/shop/32-arcade-cabinet-kit/
If the controls are decent quality it would be good, you would have the control panel all done. Seems doubtful though, they probably are cheap ones which would need to be replaced. If the trackball on the one version is actually a good one that would be a bonus.
You could set this up for both vertical and horizontal games, the monitor is basically square.
It appears to me that the black box on the back of the monitor is its power supply. The ribbon cable connects to the control panel box. I am assuming the mini-PC or whatever it is is inside the control panel. Need to get that control panel ripped open and find out whats in there.

"A friend of mine " runs a raspberry pi with sd card full of arcade games to a tv and x-arcade tankstick. Pi, card and tankstick total was under $200. Such cards cold be found on a popular auction site so I was told. Even came with the frontend.

Beats having only 4 games.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Without seeing the cabinet I still think it would be fine hanging this way. Worst case you could go the Stern route and add some angle brackets from the back of the cabinet to the sides to prevent splitting

Worst case is it breaks apart and crushes your kid's toes!

I like the French cleat idea. I was thinking the same, but people can get rough when into SF!

#60 5 years ago

I'm thinking of making one of these and slapping my old 40" lcd in there with the tankstick and calling it a day. I'd use "my friend's " Pi settup.

I do have some VP on a separate computer so I suppose I could rig that up as well.

Problem is, these cheap projects always turn into money pits.

Vertigo-Blue-White (resized).jpgVertigo-Blue-White (resized).jpg
#69 5 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

Can PI even run any of the pinball emulators?? If so that's a game changer for me.

I doubt it.
I've got a Win 10 system with a gtx 1060 that plays pretty smoothly though

I would just have to switch inputs. Or load mame onto computer, but more work.

See, quick projects always get more involved!

1 week later
#102 5 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Looks like Fry's Electronics is getting the mother of all exclusives. 12 Atari classics in one cab including the riser for $499. Not as attractive as the Centipede or the Asteroids cabinets, but that's a helluva game line-up.
Asteroids
Centipede
Major Havoc
Missile Command
Lunar Lander
Crystal Castles
Tempest
Millipede
Liberator
Gravitar
Super Breakout
Asteroids Deluxe
I still like the Centipede and Asteroid cabinets better, so I might opt for that. I can always play the missing games on my mame cab.
Fry's shows it as sold as out right now, FYI.
[quoted image]

I've never understood needing Asteroid and Asteroid Deluxe, Centipede and Millipede in the same cab. I'd much rather substitute a "different " type of game to fill out the list.

1 week later
#195 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Blake, I gotta ask. Do you sell arcades? Are you an arcade tech? Do you build MAME cabinets?
Just curious, you seem to really have something against people buying these over real cabinets. I get that it’s not for you, but you really seem to be trying to discourage people from getting these.
I don’t get it. What’s your motivation?

Did I miss the yes/no answer Blake gave?
I'm not certain if he currently does or does not sell/route/repair arcades as income.

It's not mandatory he submit that information of course, but your question was valid and would put perspective on the responses.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I'm going to take that as a "Yes, he sells or operates arcade machines".

Reporter: "Senator, are you in favor of higher taxes?"

Senator: "Higher taxes builds infrastructure, while lower taxes builds economy. I think we all know which route is needed at this time."

Back on topic:

These cabs are definitely not for everyone. I like the idea, but have basic knowledge of how to use a saw, so I'll spend my $300 differently.

I'm building a MAME cab with my son next week! Bought an X-Arcade Tankstick a looonnnnngggg time ago, came with 8(?) games (That I "own" legally). Plus any legal free games. Let's rock!

FYI, I just purchased some "fancy" led buttons so we're going to actually do that work too. Going with a nice simple Vigolix cab: upped by 1.5 to make it 6 feet tall and 18 inches deep.

Not for everyone, and definitely not order today, deliver tomorrow, play by the third day. I get the convenience of that, I really do.

vigo green (resized).jpgvigo green (resized).jpg
#273 5 years ago

So, if 1 millisecond is 0.001 seconds, then 10 milliseconds would be 0.01 seconds.

You are telling me that 1/100 of a second is going to totally screw you up? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm actually curious about this.

Voice latency for TV seems to be acceptable well past this number (150 ms), as a reference.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

What? .001s and yes even seemingly small fractions of a second can be noticed

Durf! I have no idea where that 5 came from!

Let me go fix that.

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The standard for most games, especially fighting games, is 60fps. That makes a frame roughly 16.7 milliseconds. The native input delay on an arcade cab running Street Fighter 2 is a little over 4 frames (this is in part due to the 60hz refresh cycle of the monitor, also the reason 60fps became the standard). So that's normal and fine, people are use to that.
Add another frame of input delay on top of that and some sensitive players may notice somethings not working quite as expected, but that's not too hard to deal with. Once you start going beyond that though it does create issues.
Don't confuse this with reactions times. If you have good visual reaction times you probably need 200 ms to respond to a stimuli. But that's not the same thing as noticing a delay between a button press and an action, or noticing your combo is dropping because the timing is off because of lag. People can't react to a single frame of data, but they can notice it, big difference.

Thank you for that explanation. I knew voice latency was a poor comparison but figured someone would understand my question - even though I couldn't express it well.

Yeah, reaction time vs button/action as 2 different values. Got it now.

Thanks again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ronss.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-?tu=ronss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.