• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#547 5 years ago

That's not an arcade cabinet! THIS is an arcade cabinet...

cab (resized).jpgcab (resized).jpg

25" multi-sync CRT arcade monitor, stereo sound (with sub), thousands of game ready to play, weighs about 600 lbs. lol.

Seriously though, playing classic arcade games on a flat-panel display just makes me want to poke my eyes out. Give me scanlines or give me death!

#549 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

To be fair, arcade purists who have issues with that would also have issues playing emulated games via a "thousands-in-one" stuffed into a Gauntlet Legends cab.

I suppose. Different degrees of "purists".

For the record, I acquired the cab completely stripped from an operator who was about to throw it out, so it's not like I gutted a perfectly working game for my project.

#568 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Can we please just stop with the "who's market" is it post? If it's not for you then who the F cares, move on already. Their is obviously a market for them or they wouldn't have SOLD out before being released. I'm guessing that someone did some market research before starting the business and it looks like their research wasn't to bad as they are selling.
I for one would like to hear about feedback on performance of them without having to sift through dozens of post of people who aren't in the market for them and just want to throw shit at something just to try and look cool. Nobody cares....

Demanding that the thread tailor itself to meet your needs explicitly? It's nice to want things...

To bring this back to pinball (this is still a pinball forum, right?), I think the discussion on the market for this type of product is interesting. If this is as successful as it appears it could be it might be the model for the next Stern "The Pin" type system targeted at the extreme low end.

Imagine a kit pinball machine packed in a similar fashion as these with the cabinet disassembled and the PF populated ready to go. Shipping costs would be greatly reduced. I'd say Stern is already half-way there with their recent lightweight cabinet construction and making the buyers swap out the corner brackets for ones that actually do the job themselves.

Seriously though, why not an el cheapo pinball in this fashion, sell it for $999 or something with a cheap lcd display?

#581 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

Well if you already own the real arcade machines what are you hoping to get out of these versions?

...a vast sense of superiority!

#587 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

This guy reviews Rampage and Street Fighter that he bought:

I assume it was the camera angle vs. the cheap LCD screen but that Street Fighter game looked like it used CGA era coloring/shading.

...and would it kill them to try to at least simulate the scanlines?

2 weeks later
#636 5 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Pretty cool little game, friend loves it! With the riser it is just the right height to use with a bar stool. Packaged very well and went together easily. The buttons feel good and trackball is responsive, no issues. The spinner...is not a spinner. It is a rotary dial as others have said. It works fine, you can play the games with it but is just not optimal.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I like the small form factor vs the “real” pins next to it. Seems right.

#638 5 years ago

They should do some cocktail tables.

2 months later
#1273 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Indeed.
So far with two Christmas gatherings under the belt and counting, they’ve held up to the abuse no problem. Even from a 280lb 6’6” dude that kinda looked like Santa...if you squinted hard enough.
Far from garbage in my book.
More like best “retro toy” of 2018.
Their goofy retro-mercial hits their target market right between the thighs too!

Didn’t you get tired of the kids complaining about the lack of authentic scan lines??

...well I would have but you didn’t invite me.

2 weeks later
#1573 5 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

I hear you, but if it's is just plexiglass it will be scratched up in no time, Maybe they used lexan, it would be a lot more scratch resistant. Anyway, the idea was brought up, so I just wanted to give people a idea of what it would cost to use glass.

Just flame polish it every year.

...might want to take it out in the yard first.

1 week later
#1773 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

What makes a full size arcade cab worth it is the control panel and controls..

And the real arcade CRT monitor with real scanlines. Don’t forget the scanlines.

#1796 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I think the confusion and debate here is that (at least I thought) your point of view was for someone having ONE mame cabinet. With ONE mame cabinet you can run everything all at once; true. But with ONE mame cabinet you would need to compromise (vertical vs horizontal) in some way to play everything all at once.
It is true. You are correct. It you have 6 arcade cabs (vector vert, vector, hor, CRT vert, CRT hor, LCD vert, LCD hor) you dont need to compromise with picture quality.
I was under the assumption that your argument was for JUST ONE cabinet. But then were back at the space saving argument. Its ciclicle, arcade 1up games are not trying to compete with real cabinets. Your the 2% of the market that these are not marketed for, sorry.

I have one horizontal tri-sync arcade monitor in my MAME cab and it works surprisingly well for standard res vertical monitor games also. There's really no comparison between it and an LCD prjoection, I'll take mine anyday.

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Mine got delivered yesterday and I spent some time putting it together. The unfortunate thing is that the screen overlay was damaged at some point during packaging. I know I didn't do it since it's on the inside between the protector and the screen.
Additionally, my monitor needs to be replaced since it has a pile of pink pixels that don't go away. There was also some damage to the artwork on both sides and on the the control pad. Let's just say, that the quality of the decals pretty much sucks ass. If I would have paid $300, I'd be pissed, but I can swallow the nicks in the artwork since I only paid $150. I'm not thrilled, but I'm not going to flip out about the artwork.
As far as build, it's more solid than I expected. Assembly was a piece of cake and the directions were some of the best I've seen for the "put together yourself furniture".
One thing I do have to say is the damn thing is freakin' short. I thought I remembered reading that it was supposed to be 3/4 scale. Not sure where they are getting that number, because there is no way.
Also, the spinner is a piece of crap and that's coming from someone that hasn't used a spinner since the arcade days 25 years ago.
[quoted image]

I guess this is what bothers me about these "toys" too, you see guys lining the walls of their basements with them but really you might as well back the delivery truck up to the landfill cause so many are going to be played for a few days, or hours, and then tossed in the trash the minute one of the el-cheapo components fails. I guess particle board will break down in a landfill.

#1815 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

I'm receiving two more tomorrow from the group buy... Egret 2 and windy 2
But yes, get killed on shipping.

That Egret 2 with built in monitor rotation is really cool.

#1898 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I don't think it's a rheostat, I think it's a board mount rotary digital encoder:
[quoted image]
Like your old car stereo, where the volume knob would endlessly spin.

You mean like my current car stereo...

1 week later
#2018 5 years ago

I’m calling it right now, this whole thing is going to end badly, with thousands of these shoddy toys available for pennies on the $ on Craigslist or even put out to the curb.

By next Xmas the whole 1Up product line will be extinct once the thin novelty of these games wears off on the “single mom” crowd and they become just another piece of unused junk taking up space in their living rooms.

#2044 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They get tons of hate from guys insecure about their manhood.
"At $150, you are not that far away from buying an old Pac-Man for $800!" = my penis no longer works
"You can get a Multicade from CGC for $3200, why would anyone buy this junk?" = my wife wears athletic socks to bed.
"I looked at one of these and they are only made of 1/2" wood; my 350 pound Paper Boy game is 3/4" wood!" = I'm too scared to have them genetically tested, but none of my children look like me.

I upvoted you because that was hilarious!

...I'm more concerned about dear old mother earth and all these shitty cabs rotting in the ditches of america in a few months when the kids get bored with the simple games and the keeners go looking for the missing scanlines.

#2065 5 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

I was able to illuminate my marquee using the USB motherboard mod. It supplies 5v, enough to power two 6.3v LED strips from Comet pinball fitted with a USB connector. Best part is, it turns on and off with the game power. No external power supplies. And it looks close to the real thing; Pacman was lit by 2 incandescent lamps.
I did this mod on a spare board A1U sent me (locked pixels) incase this failed.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Given how simple that was you have to wonder why they wouldn’t do the same at the factory?

1 week later
#2120 5 years ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

Relax dude, its a joke.... I'm a guy....just remembered a Axl Rose t shirt with the
" Nobody knows I'm a lesbian" print on it....

Reminds me of the Green Day show I was at where Billie Joe Armstrong announced that they were the "Queens of lesbian rock!". I found that pretty amusing...

1 month later
#2361 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Definitely not an arcade1up, but these are pretty cool mini “real” cabinets. They run real boards and a crt tv in a custom cabinet.

That guy “get’s it”! I’m happy some people are doing it right to preserve the authentic arcade experiences. Excellent interview as well, and his clean shop was impressive.

3 weeks later
#2431 4 years ago

You think if I say something snooty about scanlines and authenticity vid1900 will come back?

1 month later
#2633 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My Plasma rules.
Can't help but wonder how much longer it'll last. Gotta be almost 10 years old at this point.

Ditto! There isn't a day that I watch my plasma that I'm not pleased with the PQ on this thing.

Simple rule for quality PQ is if the pixels aren't lighting themselves, it's basically a hack. So stick with Plasma or OLED screens.

Of course, I'm not primarily playing video games on mine so burn-in isn't such a concern.

(And I only play arcade games on a real CRT arcade monitor too, so call me an annoying purist).

7 months later
#2866 4 years ago

For any Canadians who might be interested London Drugs has some of these cabinets on sale this week in the flyer for $349 Cdn. Online they have the table-top models on sale for $239.

IMG_7485 (resized).jpgIMG_7485 (resized).jpg

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 9.11.52 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-02-08 at 9.11.52 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-02-08 at 9.12.02 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-02-08 at 9.12.02 AM (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-?tu=fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.