• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1730 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's not necessarily "artificial scarcity", but simply as the market saturates for each title, it does not make sense to keep producing a product that no longer sells.
Williams did not keep making Defender. When the market saturated, and sales tapered off, they then released Stargate.
When Pacman sales slowed, they came out with Ms. Pacman

Still not the same thing as advertising something as limited run and not producing more if the demand is there... they are trying to generate up front demand (likely to counter holding out for the well known discounting that happened with phase one).

#1737 5 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

are these being discontinued, from what I'm reading on this thread?

No, they've just announced two new product lines at CES this month (wall mounts, and cocktails).. and they have multiple iterative updates to the current products, and new models announced within the current standup. These changes are likely pushing a lot of the first round of inventory to clearance...

TL: DR - No

#1760 5 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

On a side note, IU'm going to throw this out there:
If you have a decent cabinet (minus a monitor maybe), would it be practical to take the electronics from a 1Up Arcade and mount them in the cabinet?

yeah but you'd likely end up with worst of both worlds..

What makes a full size arcade cab worth it is the control panel and controls.. which you'd be rebuilding anyways vs being able to reuse the 1up's bits. You'd be paying $100-200 for a closed system emulator... and still have to heavily modify the cab to get the monitor and controls in place. At that point, just put the effort into making the 1up cab better for your use.

The 1up's value is in 'how far you get... for almost nothing' for the trade-off of no expansion and cheaper cabinet+controls. But a 1up won't drop into a full size cabinet without a lot of work for the monitor and CP.

#1774 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

And the real arcade CRT monitor with real scanlines. Don’t forget the scanlines.

nah, when talking MAME your monitor is always a compromise... not the right size... orientation... resolution... etc. In that case, accept that LCD will be more reliable, lighter, and burn free

#1782 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

That's not true though. You can run the exact resolution, exact horizontal sync frequency, and exact vertical refresh frequency of the original boards on CRTs.

Yes... For a finite set. But there are dozens of different combinations. A 19” vertical tube playing a horizontal monitor game is not the same as the horizontal setup. One monitor can’t be everything.

#1787 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

I understand that but why would you think otherwise? Why would anyone expect otherwise? That's the same thing luckydogg420 said. Maybe I'm missing something? Of course if you run a vertical game in horizontal your image won't be correct... Is that not blatantly obvious to everyone? Has there been anyone that said otherwise?

Yes actually.

I said when using a original cab and monitor for make you always have a compromise.. I said “when talking MAME your monitor is always a compromise... not the right size... orientation... resolution..”

To which he told me that’s not true. And we’ve all just agreed the monitor setup is not universal... so yes, picking one crt setup will NOT be an exact match for all your mame titles.

When talking mame... the main benefits of an original monitor are mostly lost because the monitor only matches some setups. Might as well take the advantages the lcd gives you.. and live with the middle of the road solution. The weight, power, and reliability are worth it.

#1812 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

And I will say it again you are wrong. There is no arguing against playing vector games etc because that technology isn't the same at all. That we can of course agree on. When it comes to a normal raster CRT based game designed to run at 15k, 24k, 31k etc you can play them exactly without compromise. You can recreate the exact same video output signal from a computer that you can as the original board. The size of the Mon you display it on is completely irrelevant. It doesn't change the signal based on what size it is, 19" 25" etc it's all the exact same...

Just because you can get the image on a monitor does not mean it will 'play them exactly without compromise'.

When you have a pacman with a 19" vertical monitor... playing Simpsons which normally has a 25 horizontal monitor... is not the same experience. Nor is Track and Field which normally has a horizontal orientation.

Yes you can get the picture up - no it will not be without compromise compared to the original experience.

And if your solution is "have multiple cabinets" well then you are simply having a conversation no one is having. The discussion was about a single cabinet being gutted or not to build A MAME... not "what monitors are better for arcade games in general"

#1821 5 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

If you are trying to alter what you said to now be inclusive of every title of every imaginable configuration running on a different configuration perfectly then yes I agree with you that's not possible... But that's not what you stated, nor what I corrected...

Because maybe you jumped into a conversation midstream and wanted to get defensive of defending CRTs instead of following the conversation?

The post you should read is here - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/36#post-4798595 The guy was talking about gutting a cabinet to put the 1up in it. Fytre suggested the monitor would make the full cab worth it.. and as I said, for a MAME cabinet, the monitor is always going to be a compromise.. so why go through the effort of all that work to keep using the CRT.. when its STILL going to be a compromise for the MAME setup.

Not a multi game board... not many cabinets... not a JAMMA swap... a software MAME in a single cabinet.

Go away.

#1913 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Give me the simplicity of just turning it on, and playing with a **real** 2600 joystick....

You mean where the rubber boot is coming off all the time... and the tactile feel is completely blown out in half the directions?

#1964 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

How do I go about finding those little red buttons? The ones that it seemed the early 80s machines had for the player select. They were smaller red buttons with a steep black base that made it look like a little volcano . This is coming from my 6 y/o-self memory.

Would love to add those for the select/coin button.

Too bad you've named one of the harder parts to source as those buttons are NLA and demand huge prices

#1972 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I would pick door number two. Number one is not good for lazy people like me. I think the Pandora's Box 6s is not looking two bad right about now.

Pandora’s box is like 90% foreign variations on a dozen or more fighting games that 99% of people don’t care about. They are neat... but make sure you actually study the game list and don’t get blinded by the just high game count.

There are only so many variations on king of fighters anyone needs...

3 weeks later
#2172 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Galaga cabinets on clearance at a Walmart in Sterling, VA for $74.99

Based on??

Cuz this is what it looks like...

Don't see any clearance areas where they might be (b/c no Galahad in that pile)

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2173 5 years ago

There was another display... and none there either... but eventually found one orphaned

2 months later
#2520 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Screw Brickseek and screw Walmart!
I went to 2 different Walmart hell holes that Brickseek showed should have stock of more than one unit of both Centipede and Asteroids at $75, and neither had either one. At the one, a guy in the department said they had not had Centipede for a long time.

Brickseek is not super accurate... so don't take it as gospel... especially with smaller items. But big pieces like these are usually pretty good.. unless they've simply lost track of them in the store, or the staff are hoarding.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.