Topic Stats

• 3,071 posts
  • 307 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Luckydogg420
  • Topic is favorited by 88 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a5d0e921-d9ae-4a97-ba42-2cf4bbed672c_1.e9f90a3d2b816b2f7d5f81355feb4bc4 (resized).jpeg
166200849_482053753205565_451884785007071854_n (resized).jpg
extra_large (resized).jpg
Spinner (resized).jpg
8385B3E1-1AF3-4627-A877-916E05A87D1D (resized).jpeg
243C22F8-89A0-4F40-9608-D168D612CD35 (resized).jpeg
D401F979-1BCA-411E-9B22-64DF065842DB (resized).jpeg
6296F8E7-0B05-49B5-8E10-423F112E0D19 (resized).jpeg
0515EB04-5F14-4EBD-972D-3D3C7AC4F3CA (resized).jpeg
7AF198BD-315E-42A6-9A65-C5BBCF210E75 (resized).jpeg
754D6048-C756-4D3A-9536-1259131A0905 (resized).png
57DA12D7-AFF6-4702-8EA8-0A5CD0C04A10 (resized).png
out2 (resized).PNG
out (resized).PNG
NBA Jam close up (resized).jpg
NBA Jam and Maiden (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fizz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 3 years ago

Looks like it will be available from Bed Bath And Beyond as well. I don’t see it on their site yet, but might be able to use a 20% coupon on it.

I am assuming these will be cheap lower quality cabinets. But I like the small size.

#21 3 years ago

Lol, I thought it was cool that they were small, but when seen in perspective like that it changes everything.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

I got a sweet couch from IKEA. It was the best thing I could find for an upstairs living room. Nice price, comfy, and versatile.

Yeah, I agree that IKEA sometimes fills the need perfectly. I guess I inadvertently slammed them when I was just trying to say these cabinets are not exactly what we are all used to with our pins. And even that is not meant as an insult, I actually think it’s a pretty good idea to hit the price point.

My apologies to IKEA and all IKEA fans everywhere.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from mettle64:

I pre-ordered a SFII and I'm curious to see how sturdy it is. I'd like to attach a french cleat and get it mounted on the wall. These are only 60 lbs or so, I'm just worried about the cabinet pulling apart.

Just keep in mind that in all reality, people will be pressing down on the front of the machine while playing. Some will lean on it while playing. If you ever have a party, lots of people who aren’t even playing will be leaning on this. If there are short kids around, they will likely be pulling themselves up to see over the front, or just flat out hanging on it.

So, I’d definitely reinforce it pretty significantly.

2 weeks later
#179 3 years ago

For games like gauntlet and rampage, I am wondering how much of a point there is in a home environment where you can just continue forever?

I remember pumping lots of quarters into these games and they were fun. Anyone play these games at home, and if so, what do you think?

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

When it comes to games with continue the best thing to do to try and keep it interesting and fun is to go for a 1CC (one credit completion of the game). This really puts the pressure of not losing a man back in place and tends to keep the overall spirit of the game in check.
Thanks
Blake

Yeah that makes sense. And I guess what is also cool is that I could play it that way, but the kids could be allowed, say, 2 continues or something like that.

#294 3 years ago

FYI for anyone interested, the deluxe model at frys.com is now available to order. Just ordered one myself. I was a bit torn on this whole thing, but figured, even if it sucks it’s not the end of the world, so I will roll the dice. Deluxe model comes with the riser, too.

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I love the game list, but I’m not sure how well mix of vertical and horizontal games is going to work.
Also, how well the spinner feels is the most critical issue for me.

I agree with your concern about the vertical vs horizontal games. It will be interesting to see how this is handled.

For what it’s worth, in the YouTube review by the puppet guy, he plays Tempest and it clearly appears to be letterboxed with vertical bars on the sides to retain the correct aspect ratio. These bars on the sides seem to blend in very well during gameplay and are not noticeable. But when he clears a level and the game flies to the next level, it is clearly seen.

Of course, this is only a video of a pre production game. Hopefully this is how it will be done, though.

#340 3 years ago

Now I’m getting a hankerin’ for some bbq.

#362 3 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I understand why they're doing this. To spread out titles as far as possible and sell as many $300 cabs as they can.

Honestly I think they will sell far fewer of these cabs than if they had made a single cab with Pac-Man and Galaga. It’s a shame, really. These are probably the two most iconic games of all time. But buying one of these cabinets with one game in it is tough to swallow, even if it is Pac-Man or Galaga.

And yes I realize they each have two games, but Pac-Man Plus and Galaxian don’t count in my book because they would never get played.

#391 3 years ago

Best Buy has just made available the deluxe cabinet for $100 less than fry’s. It seems to be the same cabinet from what I can tell. Asteroids, Centipede, Tempest, Missile Command and 8 other games with riser included for $399.

#450 3 years ago

Uh oh. Man, all my street cred. Out the window. Damn.

#456 3 years ago

I thought as far as the CGC remakes are concerned, that whole “lag” theory was completely debunked, was it not? I stopped reading that thread, so maybe it swung back the other way.

1 week later
#475 3 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

I ordered the deluxe from Best Buy. It was scheduled to arrive no later than Sept. 24th. The update I received today now states no later than Oct. 16th.

I received the same notice.

Previously, I had seen that the release date for the riser was Oct 15. So, maybe these deluxe units are delayed due to the riser?

No big deal. I figure it will give me more of a chance to see some reviews and decide if I want to cancel or not, before it ships.

#487 3 years ago

They should make Hatchamal arcade cabs. You don't know which title you will get until you open the egg.

1 month later
#659 3 years ago

I also got the deluxe 12 edition. Got it put together and really liking it so far.

The spinner was very tight and had clicking during part of the rotation and not during other parts. I noticed this before I even assembled the game. I took the spinner apart and added some electrical tape to the post where the knob attaches to take out the slop. Then I added some washers beneath the bracket which attaches to the wood, to get the plastic piece farther away from the bottom of the control panel.

The spinner is now nice and smooth. It is still not really a spinner though. It doesn’t spin, it’s just more like a paddle control. However, it actually works really well for tempest. I played a bunch of that tonight and all in all, the spinner was good. Had a lot of fun playing it.

My cabinet did have some minor damage from shipping. Arcade 1up is sending a replacement side panel, but it won’t arrive for up to six weeks.

1 month later
#827 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

The trackball needed a few drops of oil

Can I ask, where did you put the oil and what type of oil did you use?

My trackball feels great right now, but it will be good to know how to apply the oil if it ever needs it.

#832 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I used a synthetic oil called liquid bearings. The rollers don't have ball bearings like a normal trackball. They have plastic bushings on each end of the roller. Put a small drop on these. Make sure you use a synthetic oil that won't break down plastic.

Thanks! That is very helpful.

1 week later
#947 3 years ago

I decided to see if I could tweak the spinner a bit more to make it work better. In the end, I decided to remove one of the screws from the bracket which holds it in place. So it is just in there with one screw and the other end of the bracket is free to move. I also have some tape between the knob and the spinner post to take out that slop.

By removing the screw from the bracket, the spinner now moves very freely and smoothly. You can move it nicely with even just one finger.

It definitely is the best this spinner has felt. The obvious question is how long will it last with just one screw. So far it's doing great.

#950 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

So that is my question....a 60 in 1 is fine and I have Pac-Man etc.....but how is the trac ball and spinner on this???? Please let me know as I do enjoy Centipede, Millepede, and Tempest.

The trackball is really good in my opinion. Feels great playing centipede, millipede, etc. I'm sure there are people who will tell you it doesn't feel as good as their expensive trackball on their Mame machines. But seriously, the trackball is pretty good.

The spinner is crap. But once you tweak it, it's acceptable. See my posts above. Even after adjusting it, it doesn't actually spin really. It's just more like a paddle controller from the old Atari consoles.

When all is said and done, though, I've been having a blast playing tempest with the spinner. Awesome game. And the spinner is still better than playing it without a spinner at all.

1 week later
#1010 3 years ago

The most important, and true, words in this entire thread!

As soon as my wife saw these she said, "Oh, we can get one of those!"

#1014 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Different strokes.....
When my wife first saw the Galaga/Galaxian cabinet, she turned to me and asked quite seriously, "Are they kidding with this thing?" They look and feel like toys and seem completely out of place when sitting next to a commercial piece of gaming equipment.
However, I hope they are successful and sell a million of them.

It sounds like your wife appreciates real arcade cabs, which is awesome. Most wives... don't.

Obviously these are toys and not meant as a replacement for the real thing for those who are into it. But honestly, once you put it on the riser, it looks like a cabaret cab. The art looks nice. In my opinion it doesn't look out of place at all.

I have two pins and hoping to add a third. I'm just into pinball more than I'm into vids. So for vids, this thing will suffice just fine, and the wife likes that it's inexpensive and easy to move around, and doesn't have any issues associated with old cabs.

#1027 3 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Kinda surprised that a lot of Pinsiders like these considering how anal most of us are about our games.

Speaking for myself, I'm anal about my pinball machines. Not video games. This is just something that fits the theme of my game room and takes up very little space. I'll probably get rid of it after a year or so.

Since this is a pinball forum, I'd guess that there are others who feel the same way.

#1028 3 years ago

Also, tempest is an awesome game and I'm having a blast with it. But I wouldn't buy one if that game is your main draw, because you'll be very disappointed in the spinner

#1082 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It actually could be pure genius to secretly put those extra games in memory.
They are not officially selling or licensing them.
But all the hacker kids can turn them on for free - hacker value added .

Or they might get in trouble with the license owner.

1 month later
#1651 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

An official replacement supposedly in the works. ETA who knows. Price estimate $50

Is this an official replacement from arcade1up themselves? Or are you referring to the plug and play spinner that guy on YouTube is making?

#1660 3 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

That Youtube guy as I understand it is collaborating with Arcade1up to design an aftermarket replacement.

Cool, I didn't know that. From what I've seen of his videos, it looks like that spinner will be pretty nice. Hopefully he can get it working well with all the games.

1 month later
#2190 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

God those are still just way too expensive

Looks like it will be 100 bucks or more once all the options and shipping are added. That’s a lot of money to spend on one of these cabinets. I still might do it, though.

Isn’t there another spinner that someone is working on making for these games? Has anyone heard an update on that? I thought I heard that one would be less expensive.

3 weeks later
#2296 2 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

Groovy Gamer Turbo Twist is installed. WOW what a difference I can play Tempest now!

That looks great, I have been thinking about getting one of these. Does it work well for both tempest and major havoc? I got the impression that there is a setting that needs to be changed when changing between these two games, is that right? If so, how do you change it?

#2300 2 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

I just tried major havoc and didn't see any issues. I don't think groovy has settings that can be changed.

Thanks! That is good news if it works for both games without changes. Below is the statement from their website which is what confused me. Now that I’m reading it again, it looks like they are saying you install a switch to ground a pin.

“Extensively tested, pre-programmed resolution settings for both Tempest®* and Major Havoc®*. These settings are the result of over 25 hours of playtesting and can be selected by grounding the appropriate pin on the interface, or through the use of a user-supplied SPST toggle switch. Comes ready to play with the Tempest setting selected by default.”

1 month later
#2432 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

You think if I say something snooty about scanlines and authenticity vid1900 will come back?

Try it! We need him back.

#2435 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

The spinner is pretty bad BUT for $199 plus $90 for the new spinner is a helluva deal for an arcade cabinet. It's not the highest quality ever but for the money its a crazy good deal. Asteroids and Tempest are my two favorite arcade games from my youth. Amazing that they are both in one cab. The default spinner works ok up to level 5 on Tempest. Past level 5 and you're going to need the speed and resolution of the Turbo Twist.
One other thing that I've learned is that every arcade with a spinner has been implemented differently (clicks per spin). The Turbo Twist is configurable via pins on the board. Therefore you need a jumper (see image) which is NOT included. I found that the default setting for Tempest is too fast for my tastes. I changed the setting to Tempest SLOW and it plays great. [quoted image]

That is one thing I’ve been wondering about. Do you need to change the jumper for playing different games. I.e. tempest vs major havoc?

#2437 2 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Major Havoc plays much better with the new spinner. I'm not that familiar with the game so, so far, I don't see a need to switch the jumper once its set. However, Groovy Gamer does suggest that you can add a switch (button) to your game to toggle the settings if desired. From their web site...
"Extensively tested, pre-programmed resolution settings for both Tempest®* and Major Havoc®*. These settings are the result of over 25 hours of playtesting and can be selected by grounding the appropriate pin on the interface, or through the use of a user-supplied SPST toggle switch. Comes ready to play with the Tempest setting selected by default."

Thanks! So, are you saying that you basically set the jumper per your preference for tempest, and then just use that one setting without changing it, and it works well for major havoc too? Just want to make sure I understood correctly.

If that's the case that's great. Even if it's not the "correct" setting for major havoc, I'm sure I'd be fine with it as long as it's pretty functional. I just don't want to have to be changing the settings all the time.

I never played a real major havoc so I won't know the difference as long as it works.

#2440 2 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

I have the Turbo Twist 2 as well but there is another alternative. There is one you can get on Amazon for 49.99. There are many sold already and very well received by Arcade1up owners. I knew it was coming out I just didn't want to wait.
amazon.com link »

Thanks for that. I didn't know it was back in stock. I think I'll try that one.

1 month later
#2548 2 years ago

I installed mine this week as well. I just used the default settings, all 3 switches off. And it feels great! Have you tried this?

Although, I will freely acknowledge that I am not an expert on how sensitive the original tempest spinner is.

#2550 2 years ago

Just out of curiosity, I fired up a game and on the first level, I turn the spinner about 1.5 revolutions to produce about 1 revolution on the screen. Is yours in this same range?

To me, it feels good, but I have no idea if it’s accurate to the original.

1 week later
#2595 2 years ago

OLEDs are susceptible to burn-in, so they are not an ideal choice for a video game system.

At least, this was true a couple years ago, I don't know if they've solved the burn in issues on newer models.

#2597 2 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Speaking of burn-in, I have a Plasma TV from 2012, and anymore white text only on the screen for a few seconds will linger for a few minutes. I was looking at OLED online figuring Burn-in was a thing of the past. Was disappointed to find out otherwise.

Yep, same here, that's how I knew that OLEDs are susceptible to it. We had a plasma, which started having issues with burn in.

So, I looked into OLEDs at the time. Ended up going with regular LCD.

#2599 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Plasma is most susceptible, but is also easiest to cures itself (even really bad burn-in will go away with enough time). Usually it’s only a few minutes.
Most plasmas should have burn-in prevention, which moves the image slightly all the time, undetectable to the eye, but keeps the cells active so they don’t get burn in.
The nature of how OLEDs work does nothing to alleviate burn-in. Buy a plasma!

Well, I can tell you from first hand experience, that the burn-in mitigation schemes used in plasmas do not eliminate burn-in. Yes, permanent burn in (not simple image retention). They do reduce its occurrence, but if you connect a game console to a plasma, don’t be surprised if you get burn-in.

If you do get burn-in, it may eventually “go away” over a very long period of time. But all that means is that the pixels surrounding it have dimmed enough to make it all blend together.

They don’t make plasmas any longer, so this whole discussion is really moot. Just buy LCD and not OLED, if you have burn-in concerns.

#2601 2 years ago

Agreed, I greatly preferred plasma, other than the burn-in issue. When you do finally have to replace it, you will have to choose a different type of display, so start making your peace with it now.

#2605 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We game on ours all the time, and no issues with burn in.

That is great news, hopefully it stays that way!

1 month later
#2650 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The one thing I don't get about these cabs, because a lot of the other decisions I understand for cost and size reasons, is why the risers weren't designed to lock in *inside* the cab bottom, instead of looking goofy on the outside like that. It's just a really dumb look, and these would be pretty sweet little cabaret style games with just a seam where the bottom stand attached if they'd done it that way.

Well I have mine on the riser, it's not screwed in or locked in, and it's perfectly stable. Even when the kids pull on it.

Personally I wouldn't want it to lock in. It's nice to just be able to grab it and move it around. It comes right off the riser and it's easy to move around whenever necessary.

#2655 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well whatever works for you is best of course, but I would have made the bottom have a "lip" inside with the floor raised an inch or two, and the riser have an inset, and it would have just sat down on top of it, riser fitting up inside. No need to "lock" it, if weight and pushing together is enough.

For the risers I just wish they had made them with art to match the cabinet. I think that would be the best way to make them look better.

The way they are made is nice and stable and I wouldn't change it.

2 months later
#2676 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Hey guys. Got a couple questions on these things and don't really have time to read through 54 pages.
I'm looking at getting one of these for the house. I've had regular arcade games before but got rid of them. I'd like to pick up the new TMNT Arcade 1up machine that is coming out. How is the size on these? I'm 6'4" - will I be able to play with the riser? Can you swap in a multigame JAMMA card with these to add more games?

I'm 5'10" and the height of these machines is good for me. I think for someone your height, they'd be a bit too short. Just my opinion.

You can always try it out first and if it's too short, just build a little platform to set the riser on or something.

4 months later
#2891 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

These arcades are too little. I just need to buy real ones. I buy them, the kids play them, it’s awkward ...
Stool, chair, who freakin knows[quoted image][quoted image]

Those two pictures are hilarious.

For what it’s worth, I’d go with the riser and stool.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fizz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside