• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brad808.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#319 5 years ago

Between this and some of the mame cabs I see in the game room pics thread it blows my mind the quality of vids some of you guys are willing to put next to your $50,000+ pin collection (with an extra $5,000+ in mods). I don't think there is any doubt from anyone that's into vids or been around vids much these are going to be garbage. You will certainly get what you pay for.

Imagine going into someone's game room and seeing immaculately restored vids and then one of these hunks of junk sitting in the lineup. Think about how absurd it would be for someone to sink money into modifying it and trying to upgrade it. The only difference is in this case the real deal or a good quality item is only a few hundred dollars more, not thousands.

Really should be a pic of a zizzle or something but the point remains the same and I can't figure out how to change pictures on mobile .

$_86 (resized).JPG$_86 (resized).JPGAlien-Assault-pinball-machine (resized).jpgAlien-Assault-pinball-machine (resized).jpg
#324 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Considering the gameplay is identical to that of the full size, the comparison to a Zizzle is laughable at best. Sure, if you are putting games in your game room just to be a show-off of how much money you presumably have, that's fine. But again, your condescension is clouding your vision and not allowing you to see what market these are actually targeting. To think that someone cares about vids as much as their pins, is another narrow minded POV. I am sure there are vid fans with restored cabs who may have a ratty pin as well, because it is fun for them...not their main focus. Why is this so hard for some people?

But it isn't identical that is showing my point exactly. You are mislead in the fact that it's the same thing and it's just as good. They aren't. It's a watered down and compromised version... Just like a zizzle. Look at the controls, look at the screen, look at the quality of the materials, look at the emulation, the lag, the size, etc.

I'm not saying you have to have immaculate games and be just as into vids as you are with pins. I'm simply warning you guys not to fool yourselves if you think you are getting an amazing deal that's "just like the real thing". If you want to think of it as a toy that's fine, but in this case the toy in Canada cost like $499. I've bought plenty of real cabs for that and less.

You guys are all free to spend your money how you'd like but as always "you get what you pay for" will ring true.

#343 5 years ago

Of course there is a market for them but this IS a forum for people that are actually passionate and into pinball and arcade machines. Even though there is definitely a market for them, most of us just aren't it. Looking around at any of the arcade forums and you will see the resounding opinion is the same. They are marketing the hell out of it and will probably sell a ton to the general public. Awesome. People will be happy with them for a couple of months until all those crappy Chinese buttons go out of them and they'll be curbside. People that have bought Chinese Micros know this, the general public doesn't. So we call it out as it is.

I bought a set of speakers as a general consumer. They work great for me. An audiophile would probably tear them to pieces because of how terrible they are to them. They are fine for me and I'm happy to have and use them... but bringing them to an audiophile convention and trying to convince everyone they are awesome is going to be a tough gig. A foolish one and I know that. "These $200 walmart speakers are just as good as your setup. I can hear the music just fine."

This IS a forum where there are a lot of knowledge on the subject of arcades so naturally they are going to get torn apart. Expecting anything different is foolish.

#344 5 years ago

Whoops double

1 week later
#452 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So it would probably be prudent to wait 25 days until you can actually play them, THEN give a review if you discover lag in the system.

This is a bit of a problem. Not only is he correct that there will be more lag than an original system, it's common knowledge and universally accepted. Who here is able to dispute it properly? "You haven't played it yet" isn't nearly a good enough argument. It isn't up to people that think the Earth is a sphere to prove it, it's up to the outliers that think it's flat to prove it. With that said even under the extremely unlikely scenario that they are able to get frame accurate inputs on the emulation side of things, a simple spec sheet of the panel alone (just the panel... one component of many) will show you that yes there is going to irrefutably be lag introduced in the system by the hardware used in these vs an original system. Unless anyone here can show proof or even introduce reasonable doubt that they have devised a system which not only matches the inputs frame accurately, but also reduced it past that point it in order to compensate to perfectly matches the lag introduced by the panel..... Then yes it will introduce lag.

Yes I fully understand people here don't care. The point remains, he is correct. It's almost not even worth debating but if any of you feel up to it then have at it.

#454 5 years ago

Yes, a lot of people are very adaptable to lag within reason (a couple of frames). It affects some people a lot more than others. My guess is the games aren't going to be so far out that the general public has a huge problem with the "lag" feeling or else they simply wouldn't release it because nobody would buy it. I think it's quite likely the case that people familiar with the games or familiar with gaming in general will notice. Lag is especially problematic on fighting games. With those games it doesn't just come down to the fact that you move the joystick and your character moves slightly later, it comes with the problem of inputs not catching on the correct frame and not executing combo moves. To demonstrate how this could be a problem check out the first few seconds of this video:

Now in the video if you notice the characters are essentially moving the same. By that I mean it isn't as is one character moves and then a second later the other moves. The more obvious problem though is that the input isn't be read correctly (specifically 5 seconds in) and is skipping the input on the frame that is needed to properly execute the fireball throw. Hopefully that gives a bit of an insight as to why even if you adapt to moving slightly later because of lag the game won't, and the gameplay will suffer because of it. Does that make sense? It has to do with how inputs are handled in the game not necessarily just the human component of hand eye coordination. We are talking about fractions of a second to allow the input to catch within the frame tolerance. In the video everything is synced up, the players are both moving the same, but one system is able to read the input correctly and execute the command and the one with lag is not. That is the game changer. It isn't that it only affects better players, just that it will stand out a lot more.

4 weeks later
#579 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have all five cabs on order at wal-mart; asteroids, centipede, rampage, street fighter 2, and the wal-mart exclusive Galaga, I'm really on the fence now for no good reason, other than that Im starting to care less about them...
I own all of these real arcades except rampage. I guess I could post them up for a few extra bux after they arrive, meh
Someone push me over the edge please

Well if you already own the real arcade machines what are you hoping to get out of these versions?

#614 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

How about the lag? The lag everyone said was guaranteed to be there?

I'm curious about this as well. Not just to hear someone say "it plays fine I don't see any lag" (because it is guaranteed), but for someone to provide some actual frame data so we can determine just how much there is. I haven't seen anything good or bad on it yet. If these are truly running on hardware similar to a Pandora's box then I suspect it's likely not going to be good. I'll reserve judgement for the actual data to roll in though. Data rules over speculation or anticdotal evidence for me any day.

#623 5 years ago

I've tried to explain it earlier in this thread but still evidently people here aren't quite understanding what the problem is with "lag". Again it isn't necessarily just the human element of "I can't stand this fraction of a second delay between moving the joystick one direction and having my character move in that direction" (which is also a problem for some people). It has to do with how the game itself reads the inputs and responds. That's the BIG issue. That time literally is fractions of a second, there are many frames happening every second. There are frame tolerances built in to the game programming which will look for specific inputs on specific frames and then output a move accordingly. If you don't even come close to getting next frame input response you fall victim to the game not picking up the control input on the required frame and can easily miss things like a special move even though the human aspect on the controller was executed perfectly.

I'll put this video up yet again. Watch what happens within the first 5 seconds of the clip when two systems are synced up, one having more lag then the other.

To make it nice and clear the one on the right (groovymame) has more lag than the one of the left (which is the actual PCB). You can see the problem is that even though the characters are moving in sync, the one on the right actually misses the frame input tolerance the game requires and doesn't execute the special move. That's why I say and speculation about lag or anecdotal evidence of "feels fine to me" is pointless. This stuff needs to be measured it's as simple as that. If I had to guess based on everything I've seen, I would be absolutely shocked if the emulation on the 1up cabinets came even close to hitting the same level as groovymame.

1 week later
#671 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Open them, play them, make sure they're set up and working right, and then if you don't like them donate them. Much nicer to get a machine that's assembled and tested than a flat pack box and some instructions.

Donating them is a great idea! Be sure to check with the place you want to donate to first because some will have a hard policy on not accepting used items for health reasons especially if it's a place for sick kids (mold, etc). Would suck to get a couple quick games in and then your good gesture get declined.

1 month later
#1060 5 years ago
download (resized).pngdownload (resized).png
4 weeks later
#1473 5 years ago

In N/A standard was happ and IL bat joys (supers, comps)... Not really gated in the same way as Japanese controls. The standard for fight sticks and Japanese controls in general on candy cabs etc is square. From what I gather 1up is basically using knock off sanwa jlf sticks?

#1536 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

I always liked playing on those JPN style fighter cabinets where each player had their own screen. I’m not sold on the cocktail idea for head to head fighters but something smaller than the big boys would be cool. Think how the board game Battleship is set up.

Now you're talking my language.
IMG_20181221_123314 (resized).jpgIMG_20181221_123314 (resized).jpg

#1612 5 years ago

Mame does save high scores but the version they use is very outdated.

#1775 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

nah, when talking MAME your monitor is always a compromise... not the right size... orientation... resolution... etc. In that case, accept that LCD will be more reliable, lighter, and burn free

That's not true though. You can run the exact resolution, exact horizontal sync frequency, and exact vertical refresh frequency of the original boards on CRTs.

#1780 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I'm sure there's got to be some odd game that wont display properly, like any arcade that came with a vector monitor or LCD monitor.
CRT might be ideal for most games but even having it in the cab as 4:3 vs 3:4 will make games look wrong.

True... But what resolution are vector games . That can't really fit into the conversation at all. Completely different technology. And yes obviously if you decide for some reason you are going to purposefully run a game in the wrong orientation of course it will look weird... Not really sure why anyone would do that and then be surprised it wasn't right though.

#1783 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes... For a finite set. But there are dozens of different combinations. A 19” vertical tube playing a horizontal monitor game is not the same as the horizontal setup. One monitor can’t be everything.

I understand that but why would you think otherwise? Why would anyone expect otherwise? That's the same thing luckydogg420 said. Maybe I'm missing something? Of course if you run a vertical game in horizontal your image won't be correct... Is that not blatantly obvious to everyone? Has there been anyone that said otherwise?

#1794 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes actually.
I said when using a original cab and monitor for make you always have a compromise.. I said “when talking MAME your monitor is always a compromise... not the right size... orientation... resolution..”
To which he told me that’s not true. And we’ve all just agreed the monitor setup is not universal... so yes, picking one crt setup will NOT be an exact match for all your mame titles.
When talking mame... the main benefits of an original monitor are mostly lost because the monitor only matches some setups. Might as well take the advantages the lcd gives you.. and live with the middle of the road solution. The weight, power, and reliability are worth it.

And I will say it again you are wrong. There is no arguing against playing vector games etc because that technology isn't the same at all. That we can of course agree on. When it comes to a normal raster CRT based game designed to run at 15k, 24k, 31k etc you can play them exactly without compromise. You can recreate the exact same video output signal from a computer that you can as the original board. The size of the Mon you display it on is completely irrelevant. It doesn't change the signal based on what size it is, 19" 25" etc it's all the exact same...

As an example. I can have two CRT cabinets with trisync monitors, one vertical and one horizontal. And play every single raster based game without compromise and have them display exactly as they would from the original board

I have two LCD cabs side by side one vertical, one horizontal. And I cannot. They simply cannot sync to the original signal forcing conversion and artifacts like screen tearing)

The one exception to this is configuring multiple freesync LCDs... And even at that point unfortunately you are still left with a system which costs substantially more, looks worse and is stuck with other issues that simply can't be overcome due to the nature of LCD technology. Lag, lack of phosphur glow etc.

PS yes I know people in here don't care, just simply correcting something that was said that's just incorrect. I'm fully aware I'm nerd.

#1797 5 years ago

I think the confusion and debate here is that (at least I thought) your point of view was for someone having ONE mame cabinet. With ONE mame cabinet you can run everything all at once; true. But with ONE mame cabinet you would need to compromise (vertical vs horizontal) in some way to play everything all at once.
It is true. You are correct. It you have 6 arcade cabs (vector vert, vector, hor, CRT vert, CRT hor, LCD vert, LCD hor) you dont need to compromise with picture quality.
I was under the assumption that your argument was for JUST ONE cabinet. But then were back at the space saving argument. Its ciclicle, arcade 1up games are not trying to compete with real cabinets. Your the 2% of the market that these are not marketed for, sorry.

No need to be sorry, I'm not arguing for or against the mini 1up arcades. They aren't for nerd like me and I'm ok with that. Again just correcting something said that was wrong. I made my decisions to not compromise a long time ago so I have all types of cab LCD CRT horz vert don't matter I play on device which will best suit each game. I'll give you clue which one I like more .

IMG_20181221_102504 (resized).jpgIMG_20181221_102504 (resized).jpg
#1804 5 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Holy crap!! I hope you just placed those monitors out for the picture, and if so thanks for the effort. After a pinball/beer/bourbon marathon it would be tough gettin' safely to the stairs, lol.

Truthfully that's not even all of them . I had them all pulled out to reorganize shelving units.

#1805 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What’s the black cab? Delta32?

Chinese vewlix

#1809 5 years ago

I'm receiving two more tomorrow from the group buy... Egret 2 and windy 2

But yes, get killed on shipping.

#1820 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Just because you can get the image on a monitor does not mean it will 'play them exactly without compromise'.
When you have a pacman with a 19" vertical monitor... playing Simpsons which normally has a 25 horizontal monitor... is not the same experience. Nor is Track and Field which normally has a horizontal orientation.
Yes you can get the picture up - no it will not be without compromise compared to the original experience.
And if your solution is "have multiple cabinets" well then you are simply having a conversation no one is having. The discussion was about a single cabinet being gutted or not to build A MAME... not "what monitors are better for arcade games in general"

I'm not convinced you have any idea what you're talking about then. What you said is factually untrue, I corrected you. Right now I can go home, pull an arcade board say Street fighter out of my cabinet, put in a computer, and have it run the exact same identical video specs. If what you said were true this wouldn't be possible.

Here's a screenshot of exactly that.

If the argument you are trying to have is what you wrote then you are indeed incorrect.

If you are trying to alter what you said to now be inclusive of every title of every imaginable configuration running on a different configuration perfectly then yes I agree with you that's not possible... But that's not what you stated, nor what I corrected...

As an aside I will say it again screen size has zero bearing on any of this. If you think otherwise then please explain...

Screenshot_20190123-140413 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190123-140413 (resized).png

#1822 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Nice. Good luck with that, I know there are refunds for repairs for that buy, what you get with a bit lot of cabs though.

Yes apparently my e2 works, but windy 2 is vert collapse. Bit of a pain but hopefully I can get it sorted. I'll be pulling all the boards for complete overhaul anyway so tracking down the collapse hopefully won't be too bad. Already received partial repair refund based on the non working Mon. It is what it is at this point.

#1823 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

for a MAME cabinet, the monitor is always going to be a compromise.

For the last time no it isn't. That is a very simple fact.

Something tells me you think mame is somehow inherently inclusive of everyone running a bunch of configurations of a million different games that weren't designed to operate in one cabinet together. Maybe that's where you have your head stuck up your ass. Mame is perfectly capable of non compromised output on a monitor.

#1827 5 years ago

brad808 do you think that it would be wise to put the arcade1up hardware into a gutted crt cabinet? Yes or no.
That is the basis for this whole monitor discussion. I think your so backed up into a corner defending how great crt monitors are, that you don’t see the forest through the trees and that your missing the debate entirely. Like it’s gone over your head.
No one disputes that crt monitors are a good thing. They’re just not practical for each situation, like in this case, putting arcade1up hardware into a crt cab.
And to answer my own question. No, I don’t think it’s worth hooking up arcade1up hardware to a crt cabinet

I'm not defending CRTs or LCDs, nor am I going to comment on the mini arcade... I'm correcting an incorrect statement lol. Very simple. Maybe he doesn't know what mame is? He certainly doesn't know that it's capable of and he's misleading people with his ignorance on it. Mame is what creates the signal, it doesn't care what Mon you use. A CRT is simply what completes the uncompromised cycle. Something that many many people do (including myself) which he is saying is impossible.

#1835 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

OK, so this has conversation has gotten above my current nerd level but I've gotta ask.
Isn't MAME in general a compromise also? I thought I had read that MAME doesn't play exactly the same as the real games due to emulation. So are we now drawing at straws that these suck because they have LCD's and and a MAME cab is best as long as you have the right CRT? Don't they both play the same so the only real difference being the scan lines and orientation of the monitor?
I'm truly curious as I completely understood the argument of don't get these but get a real version of the game if you want it to play right but all this talk about MAME has me confused as I thought the 1UP ran off MAME.

I'll leave the mame for now out of this thread since I know it's not the threads purpose but anyone can feel free to p.m. me to discuss or more information about the mame stuff. if for some reason I get pulled back into a public discussion I'll just hook up my oscilloscope and side by side the signals from my mame setup with some real boards and show them displaying on the proper CRT Mon (which I've already done in tests) (this is in regard to the whole previous conversation). Pretty simple and hard to refute with no knowledge. mame vs real hardware is a very different and long conversation.

1 week later
#2031 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Oh the humanity! You realize those don’t drive like a real Escalade don’t you. I’m headed to the Cadillac forums.

The big difference is when these were announced in Canada they were priced at I think $499. That's where a lot of hate comes from and comparisons to the real deal. When you hit the $500 range you are easily into "real" cab territory.

#2048 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you can get a real cab for $500 in Canada that is fit enough to go into the living room, get out of this thread and get some real games!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/arcade-games

I have no idea what gave you the impression I need (or have room for) any more games... Or that I'd put them in my living room for some reason lol? I have a game room like a normal nerd. You literally quoted what I said. There's no need to put your own narrative on it by adding things I didn't say. The people in this thread are hilariously salty towards anyone not gushing in their pants over these or offering even the slightest of hints as to why someone would consider something else.

#2051 5 years ago

...but I didn't say that at all now did I?

This is exactly what I said "The big difference is when these were announced in Canada they were priced at I think $499. That's where a lot of hate comes from and comparisons to the real deal. When you hit the $500 range you are easily into "real" cab territory."

Not sure where this narrative of single moms, living rooms, and dudes with non working penises is coming from. Are people really this delusional here?

2 weeks later
#2130 5 years ago

Yes there is going to be audio lag. The ability to reduce audio lag to near PCB levels using portaudio wasn't introduced into mainline mame until 0.182. anything before that which wasn't compiled specifically with audio lag reduction in mind will experience the lag.

1 month later
#2350 5 years ago

Definitely not an arcade1up, but these are pretty cool mini “real” cabinets. They run real boards and a crt tv in a custom cabinet.

Those are amazing. Talk about doing it the right way (for the non "soccer moms" this group is so obsessed with haha). Obviously comes with a price though as well.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider brad808.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-?tu=brad808 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.