11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 2,633 posts
  • 272 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Fytr
  • Topic is favorited by 87 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 459 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

b1 (resized).jpg
Lock on (resized).jpg
Turbo Sub (resized).jpg
20190613_140236 (resized).jpg
20190421_125912 (resized).jpg
starwars1-1560367126472 (resized).jpg
1up star wars (resized).jpeg
pacmancab (resized).jpg
streetfightercabinet (resized).jpg
Costco 1Up (resized).jpg
Asteroids Deluxe 1Up Arcade (resized).jpg
TMNT_03_R2-6.7.19 (resized).jpg
3E8B344F-6B5C-4AA4-8CF4-3812F21D8B62 (resized).jpeg
3D4D51E7-19DC-4F58-915F-4166CCD491D9 (resized).jpeg
20190526_090657 (resized).jpg
20190525_152410 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#276 10 months ago
Quoted from RonSS:

So, if 1 millisecond is 0.001 seconds, then 10 milliseconds would be 0.01 seconds.
You are telling me that 1/100 of a second is going to totally screw you up? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm actually curious about this.
Voice latency for TV seems to be acceptable well past this number (150 ms), as a reference.

The standard for most games, especially fighting games, is 60fps. That makes a frame roughly 16.7 milliseconds. The native input delay on an arcade cab running Street Fighter 2 is a little over 4 frames (this is in part due to the 60hz refresh cycle of the monitor, also the reason 60fps became the standard). So that's normal and fine, people are use to that.

Add another frame of input delay on top of that and some sensitive players may notice somethings not working quite as expected, but that's not too hard to deal with. Once you start going beyond that though it does create issues.

Don't confuse this with reactions times. If you have good visual reaction times you probably need 200 ms to respond to a stimuli. But that's not the same thing as noticing a delay between a button press and an action, or noticing your combo is dropping because the timing is off because of lag. People can't react to a single frame of data, but they can notice it, big difference.

1 week later
#422 10 months ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I can't wait to hear what you guys say after you play one.

I’ve played one. It was fine. What you’d expect for the money. The sky falling cries in this thread would make you think it was thousands of dollars.

I wouldn’t buy one but I have no interest in emulation anymore.

2 weeks later
#470 9 months ago
Quoted from dtown:

All I know is I'm far too aggressive with the stick to do quarter turns with a square gate. I'll just stick to my Qanba Drone with a Sanwa stick to play SF on my PS3/PS4.

Unless you've modded that stick it's got a square gate, that's what stock on a Sanwa JLF.

#472 9 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Yup, need to put a circled gate , Or if you preferred to fill every diagonal, there is a gate that has a notch for every angle, pretty nice if you’re trying to teach kids how to play fighting games.

Nah, square gate is the standard for a reason. I'd advise just adjusting to it. Definitely not a ding on these cabs to come with square gates, I'd expect it. Almost anyone who's still playing Street Fighter is using a square gate, every single stick from any manufacturer, Hori or Razer or Qanba, (RIP Madcatz) etc, be it Sanwa or in-house lever, all using square gate unless you mod.

If you have a personal preference by all means switch it up though.

2 weeks later
#525 9 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Looks like you can only play two players in Gauntlet. Not sure why you can't do three players like in Rampage.

Because there is no 3-player ROM for the game. There's the original 4-player, and then they did a 2-player version for converting standard cabs.

#534 9 months ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

This method is used for the tiny retrocades that you get at walmart for like 30 bucks. I think its digdug, centipede, q-bert ect. I'd have to dig for the YouTube video. But basically each machine is loaded with all games then the board is switched to match the packaging.

There's a great video about it by some guy named Ben Heck, you've probably never heard of him though.

#597 8 months ago

Most of my cabs are Japanese, sit down style. Wonder if the same height stools would work for these.

DoT2gEBU4AABdIY.jpg-large (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#666 8 months ago

Open them, play them, make sure they're set up and working right, and then if you don't like them donate them. Much nicer to get a machine that's assembled and tested than a flat pack box and some instructions.

#683 8 months ago

Yeah, square gate is entirely normal and expected now.

2 months later
#1373 5 months ago

For fighting games we like to get two cabs side by side, and mirror the video and sound over to the second cab, and run the controls back over to the master machine. This way you get your own control panel (I replaced mine with 1 player repros) and you don't have to rub elbows with the guy you're playing. These would be good candidates for that treatment, price is right to get a pair and link them.

IMG_7789 2.jpg

#1496 5 months ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

My favorite that wasn’t covered in here yet was the “hidden” DELUXE Capcom cocktail.

Wait, what, what a weird game list. And what is Fatal Fury doing in there? So confused.

#1498 5 months ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I’m guessing they meant to put Final Fight in there instead of Fatal Fury?
They both start with F right?
This is what happens when you play “Tastemaker” instead of “Hardcore Arcade Gaming Nerd.”

It sort of makes sense since they have CvS in there, but I'm surprised to see that title, that's a Naomi game, didn't think their emulation would handle that.

#1502 5 months ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

If they can get Alpha 3, or 2 Gold with some 3rd Strike instead of just III, then I might have to sell off my Big Blue to complete the growing wall of them

Sacrilege! But yeah, get some Third Strike on there damn. And make it CvS2. It's almost a really cool list, just some weird choices. Like Alpha 1 over 3? New Generation??

#1525 5 months ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Or... since they’re using emulation anyway... buy a real fighting cab; candy or big blue or dynamo, put together an emulation computer and have every fighting game and side scroller from every company . Yes, these arcade 1 ups are neat , I own 2 of them. I could spend the same or less $ and have it full size with what ever hardware I want to use...

I've got a row of candy cabs, running real CPS2 and CPS3 hardware, I don't do emulation. But I have thousands of dollars into my hardware, I need to maintain a bunch of CRTs, and it's really nothing I'd recommend to anyone who wasn't hardcore about playing these games.

These 1Ups are just fine for most people who just want to mess around. Don't waste your time and money on real arcade cabs just to play them a few weeks and then get bored.

Quoted from cocomonkeh:

I always liked playing on those JPN style fighter cabinets where each player had their own screen.

That's how my cabs are set up, and once you're used to having your own screen, and more importantly your own control panel and elbow room, there's really no going back. But it means two cabs just to run a single game, so it's not super space efficient.

#1537 5 months ago

Versus City is hot. I keep my linked cabs side by side, and for friendly play we like that better, but if you’re playing serious you can’t beat true head to head.

#1554 5 months ago

Make a Bubble Bobble cab and I'm buying for my wife.

#1557 5 months ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

one of the few arcade cabs i regret selling

I have a PCB for it, but not a spare cab to really use it in, too many other higher priority games that get used running.

#1576 5 months ago
Quoted from merccat:

Interesting, didn’t realize there was a dedicated cab option for it. I always just had the MVS version. My 4-slot rotates most games through but always has puzzle bobble (aka bust a move) loaded.

Not talking Puzzle Bobble, Bubble Bobble predates Neo Geo by years.

1 week later
#1802 5 months ago
Quoted from brad808:

I made my decisions to not compromise a long time ago so I have all types of cab LCD CRT horz vert don't matter I play on device which will best suit each game. I'll give you clue which one I like more

What’s the black cab? Delta32?

#1803 5 months ago

ahhhh i want those candy cabs

My garage last night: 283EB473-0C05-450A-94BE-25A0C22113FD (resized).jpeg

I love candies, but mostly I like games that get played. Cabs that sit there unused are sad. MAME, LCD, CRT, whatever, if people enjoy them I’m all for it. Snobbery is pointless.

#1807 5 months ago
Quoted from brad808:

Chinese vewlix

I've thought about getting a pair of those to link. Not a lot of point in paying for the real thing if I'm going to gut it and put a PC in it, no real interest in running real JVS stuff.

#1808 5 months ago

wish i lived on the coast! they never come up for sale in the middle of the country. just not worth shipping them at this point, maybe someday.

We just pick them on trees out here: https://twitter.com/aurich/status/1084638515575439361

I hear you though, not shipping makes it a hell of a lot easier.

#1817 5 months ago
Quoted from brad808:

I'm receiving two more tomorrow from the group buy... Egret 2 and windy 2

Nice. Good luck with that, I know there are refunds for repairs for that buy, what you get with a bit lot of cabs though.

#1967 4 months ago

There's really two ways to do emulation, in my opinion/experience:

1) You enjoy setting it up. Designing your cab, building it, picking controls, obsessing over 4 way sticks vs 8 way, wondering if you can fit a rotated Q-bert stick in your layout. Playing games is secondary, the thrill is getting as many as you can running, and then getting a front end to pick them all, and then customizing that front end so the buttons light up and digital instruction card appear for your guests. You run it sometimes as parties, people think they're neat, and don't notice or use 85% of your hard work after playing some Ms Pac-Man and "that one game they remember with the monsters, do you know the one?" and wandering off.

You think the kids will love it, but they mostly discover the old games are too hard, and don't look that interesting.

Aside from tinkering with it you rarely play games seriously, because just scrolling the nearly infinite lists feels daunting. But you just heard about a new front end and you're wondering if it's better than Hyperspin, maybe it's time to update? Hmm, maybe a new cab, but this one can rotate the monitor with a motor for horizontal and vertical games. Time to start planning.

2) You make a very specific setup, with a limited selection of games. Vertical monitor, 2 buttons, only games that work with that configuration, and then you dump half of them anyways because you don't enjoy them. Your list doesn't take long to scroll through, it only has games you like, and you play some regular favorites and overall enjoy the game playing experience and trying to beat your score in Burgertime.

#1975 4 months ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I would pick door number two. Number one is not good for lazy people like me. I think the Pandora's Box 6s is not looking two bad right about now.

Pandora's box is kind of the shittiest combination of both worlds. You get a ton of games you don't give a crap about to scroll past, controls that are badly optimized for 60% of them, chances are good than any one game you pick is going to be buggy or screen tear or have glitchy sound.

They're fine for toys to dip your feet, remember a few games, and then let collect dust. I wouldn't expect anything more than that from it.

3 months later
#2471 37 days ago

I've built some nice MAME cabs in my day, done all the front end stuff, etc. Then I kinda got over emulation and went down the real hardware rabbit hole. I don't recommend it, heh.

But, that said, my honest advice is this: pick as few games as you possibly can if you really want to enjoy them. And I mean few, like start with 10. I promise you that if you have a cab with 10 hand-picked games that you love you'll play them more and get more enjoyment out of the whole thing than you will with a list of 1000.

Don't worry about "maybe I'll want to play this some day" stuff, just pick 10 games you know you want to play. And if you ever reach a point where you've truly gotten tired of all 10, and mastered them, and are bored? Pick 10 more. But keep it small, when there's a list to scroll through it's paralyzing. And you get into a short attention span mode, where you scroll, trying something, then get antsy and want to back out to scroll more.

#2481 36 days ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Not really impressed with the MK2. The layout is just too cramped. Would hit that un-do button if I could.

Cramped how? Like for 2 players you mean?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.00
Cabinet - Decals
Top-Notch Target Shields
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 19.95
Magazines/books
The Flipper Room
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 25.00
Apparel - Women
The Flipper Room
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Latenight Weeknight Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 24.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside