• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1255 5 years ago

Wow! Having just got one of these (a Centipede+ one) for Christmas, I came on here hoping to find a bit of a club thread. And while there is some love, there is also a lot of negativity as well. Not sure I understand it. I own four pins and have been wanting an arcade cabinet for some time to complete my game room. But the 1000 plus Mame ones seem overwhelming to me and quite expensive. The old ones from the 80's are prone to break down, and while I can solder a switch on a pin back in place, I have no experience repairing boards. So, this seemed like a great solution. It is easy to move around and plays great. Yeah, it is not built like a tank and probably can't take that much abuse. But, I'm not putting it in an arcade. I'm putting it in my basement where it will get played maybe a handful of times a day. It fits in perfectly. And, the best part, I'm playing Centipede again and having a blast! My wife and I used to play in college and compete against each other to get the highest score. It is fun reliving those memories. I get the criticism, but for those who want something better, just get something better.

#1303 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Got to build my rampage last night. Im still not sure why these get so much hate. I secretly opened the box a couple weeks ago and clear coated the control panel to increase the durability without having to add the acrylic overlay.
My dad and I played gauntlet last night until our hands hurt.
[quoted image]

I love Gauntlet and Joust! I may have to get another one. Have you tried playing three players at once, and does it feel cramped?

It would be nice if you could choose the artwork for the main game, as I’m not a huge fan of Rampage, but I imagine that having that many SKUs would not make sense for them cost wise. Perhaps an add on overlay that they could sell . . . .

#1305 5 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Arcadegraphix.com has overlays, but the selection is pretty limited right now.
Tron just released. They also have TMNT, The Simpsons, etc. [quoted image]

Wow, nice but half the cost of a game.

#1309 5 years ago

On some of my games, like Centipede, my high scores are maintained. On others, like Crystal Castles, which is in the same cab, they are not. Anyone else notice this, and is there anything I’m doing wrong?

#1311 5 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

I’ve noticed the same thing on my 12-1 cab.

Just found an earlier post that said that saving high scores only applies for some games and is inconsistent. That’s a bummer as it’s nice to keep track of your scores and compete against yourself and your family.

#1329 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Also wanted to report about Arcade1up customer service. I sent a request through their web site about my trackball issue (doesnt move properly) , which they never replied to.
Waited on hold for about 1.5 hrs today , but they took care of me over the phone very quickly (once answered) . Also they asked me if i wanted an overlay , which i had already requested via the online site already.
Galaga is working perfectly and hopefully the trackball fixes Centipede.

My guess is that they are swamped after the holidays. Hopefully things will settle down a bit.

1 week later
#1381 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The bad part is, is that A1U says that they will be discontinuing the older games, and replacing them with their new Spring and Fall releases.
I was unrealistically thinking that they were going to keep them all in production.

Oh, no. I want to get the Rampage/Joust/Gauntlet/Defender but not for a while. Perhaps I need to buy sooner than I wanted.

#1384 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I was the same way, thinking I could grab them whenever WM had a title for $99
Like, I'd want the Centipede with the vertical monitor, rather than the horizontal on the other version....

I wonder what the crazy resale prices on ebay will go to once they discontinue some versions. Hopefully, there will be a solid amount in inventory to make them available for a while. I need to wait until at least April. Can't justify spending another $300 so soon after the holidays, and the sales seem harder to come by.

#1458 5 years ago

So, we know the new release dates. Do we know the discontinuation dates for the old/current models?

1 week later
#1598 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

How are you guys liking these cabs? I'm considering collecting most of them to make a little garage arcade. I'm torn between getting real cabs, but the price, multiple games and size are very tempting. Thoughts on getting these vs spend much more on dedicated cabs?

I’m loving my Centipede one. The side graphics look great. While the size is smaller than a real cab even with the riser, you completely forget you’re not playing an original when you play it. It feels authentic, and the controls work well. Definitely a good buy for the money, even if you can’t find one on sale.

#1610 5 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

My main gripe is that many scores don't save, which is disappointing. Even on Centipede, anything over 30K won't save. I'm pretty shocked they don't have a simple score save feature.

Agree with this. I just don’t get it, and that is disappointing. I’m thinking of getting a chalk board or something to hang next to the cab to keep track of high scores.

#1684 5 years ago

Crap -- the paint on my Centipede control panel has started to rub off. I've ordered a plastic protector, but I'm still a few weeks away from getting one. I thought I read that the protectors come with reproduction graphics printed on the back side. Is that right? If so, I'll feel a little better.

#1687 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

*EDIT* It's heavier cardstock. Not a sheet of paper. But still paper.

Got it. I assume it still looks ok?

It's amazing how quick the paint wore off. I didn't consider myself as having played a lot, but there is still a white spot under the area where my wrist rests.

#1693 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

They do, but the fitment is hit or miss. The artwork they sent me didn't line up to the existing cp very well. I'd try and protect what you have until the plexi overlay gets there.

It is only a little bit of wear at this point. Makes it look more authentic. The trick is going to be trying to keep myself from playing until the protector arrives.

#1702 5 years ago

Who can guess?

343dIJUNE7

#1714 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Who can guess?
343dIJUNE7

It’s the Centipede letters spelled backward the way they look on the side of the cab. I don’t know — my wife and I noticed while sitting on the couch last night, and then I couldn’t get that out of my head.

#1724 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

You are correct, they are the equivalent of the Zizzle or Stern home pin.

Not so. Zizzles aren’t full feature pins, nor are they recreations of the original pin. These are faithful, full feature recreations that are just a little smaller.

#1786 5 years ago

Ugh, I just got my deck protector for Centipede, and it doesn't fit. The holes are all off. I can't get it to sit properly at all. I just emailed them. Hopefully, they can send a new one promptly.

#1902 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Acrade1Up risers do not seem to be available in Europe as of yet atleast. I ordered a Ikea Lack table to put under the cabinet. Its 55x55x45 cm:s (lxwxh). There must be a suitable table somewhere to hold more cabinets as well.
[quoted image]

Be careful with this. I have one that I keep a pachinko machine on. I'm not sure I would consider it stable enough for an Arcade1Up, but you can see for yourself.

1 week later
#2058 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Still waiting on my cpo protectors. How long did it take others to receive theirs? I never got any shipping notification or anything. Ordered over the phone and that was it. Been a couple weeks.

Took 4 weeks. Then when it came, the holes were all slightly off so it didn’t fit. Now I’m waiting on another one. They said they would try to hurry it up but that it could still be another 4-6 weeks. It’s been another two so far.

2 months later
#2365 4 years ago

My track ball on Centipede just stopped working yesterday. All connections look good, but I didn’t remove the ball itself. Any ideas?

#2367 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Probably a fluke component failure. I’d contact arcade1up for a replacement, then pull that ball out of the game and try to repair it.

I took the ball out, and it all looks fine. Though if there was a tiny tiny wire or trace on the board that failed, I’m not sure I would see it. I’ll email them. Thanks.

#2369 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I haven’t pulled apart an arcade1up track ball, but these usually work like an old ball mouse. The ball sits on two rollers. One for up/down. One left/right. Then they usually have a calibration disc with slots spaced around it. Then there’s an optical sensor that reads the disc as it moves back and forth.
My guess would be the optical sensor, if the doesn’t look like a loose connection or broken wire.

Yep. That’s exactly what it looks like. But, I would think if it was one of the sensors, it would at least move the player in one direction. But it doesn’t move at all which makes me think it is a wire, but I may not know what I’m talking about.

1 week later
#2419 4 years ago

How accurate is brickseek? They listed the Rampage cabinet at a local Walmart for $199 but when I got there it was full price.

(Perhaps I just answered my own question.)

#2421 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I have no experience, but I've read that you should get a price check because it might ring up at the lower price even if they haven't marked it down on the tag.

I asked one of the assistants, and he looked it up. Though, I don’t think he scanned it.

1 week later
#2442 4 years ago

My track ball stopped working. Didn’t move in any direction. I got a new one promptly from Arcade1up, but I figured I would try to fix the old just to have a spare. Problem is I don’t know what I’m doing. Anyone have any ideas. It looks fine, and all connections look ok. I may try to reflow the solder to see if that does anything.

519F4F82-6BFC-48CE-9011-D3B85267A9A8 (resized).jpeg519F4F82-6BFC-48CE-9011-D3B85267A9A8 (resized).jpeg6D7C28D0-C768-4CF3-B467-ED43FF6AFA3B (resized).jpeg6D7C28D0-C768-4CF3-B467-ED43FF6AFA3B (resized).jpeg52DBCA33-E0D6-4959-B4BB-E2069C661801 (resized).jpeg52DBCA33-E0D6-4959-B4BB-E2069C661801 (resized).jpeg

#2450 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Cold solder joint? One spot in the middle of the first pic doesn't look right.

The four holes in the middle are empty, if that is what you mean. But, yeah, I think I should try reflowing the solder everywhere just to make sure. If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably just have to throw it away.

#2455 4 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

From the pic none of the solder joints for the 4 wires looks awe-inspiring to me. Especially Tx and Rx. And those presumably are for transmit and receive so if either of those is bad it might make the whole thing dead.

Good eye. Yeah, you may be right. Alright, there's my rainy day project for the moment. Thanks.

2 weeks later
#2482 4 years ago

So, is the spinner on the Asteroids cabinet completely unplayable or is it just annoying for arcade game aficionados but perhaps ok for everyone else? I’m thinking about trying to grab one of those $75 Asteroid cabinets.

What is the consensus for a cheap but easy to install replacement if one is really needed?

#2487 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I never played the games on real hardware. I paid $150 for Asteroids and have been ok with it on the stock spinner, but I haven't put too much time in on the games to know if a better spinner would make things better. I'd totally go for it at $75. I may try to track down a $75 Centipede.
I originally bought the Asteroids cab thinking I'd mod it, but have left it stock so far.

Great. Thanks.

By the way, I have Centipede and think the stock track ball is just fine. I’m sure it is not as good as with a standard cabinet, but for the money, it gets the job done, and I have no complaints.

#2508 4 years ago

My wife is awesome! I was planning to stop by Walmart tomorrow to see if they still had the $75 Asteroids around but was afraid that might be too late. She was in the area today and stopped in for me. She got the last one! The only problem is that she feels guilty because someone just called to see if it was in stock before she picked it up. So, unfortunately (for that person), she beat that person to it.

#2511 4 years ago

I've now assembled the Asteroids cabinet and tried the spinner for myself. It is truly awful. I guess I'll look for a third party one. It seems people are happy with the Turbo Twist . . . .

#2525 4 years ago

Just modded my spinner using the technique with 40 pennies and lock washers. It is definitely better and more playable. I still may want to get a third party spinner at some point, but this was a good 60 cent fix for now.

#2528 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Just modded my spinner using the technique with 40 pennies and lock washers. It is definitely better and more playable. I still may want to get a third party spinner at some point, but this was a good 60 cent fix for now.

While the modded spinner is better, it is still not great. Feels a little stiff to me. I think I will look for another option one of these days.

1 week later
#2545 4 years ago

Just installed the third party spinner from Glen (?) on Amazon. It is definitely an improvement. I don't feel like I'm fighting the spinner to get it to move. However, I almost feel it is too sensitive. Perhaps I'm just used to the horrible Arcade1Up stock spinner. I found the best setting for me was to have switch 3 on the dipswitch on with switches 1 and 2 off.

#2547 4 years ago

I’m getting a bit more used to it. I have the feel for Major Havoc down. I still don’t feel like I have quite the level of control that I should for Tempest. But it has been ages since I’ve played a real Tempest game in an Arcade, so perhaps it is just an extremely difficult game. Curious as to what others think.

#2549 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I installed mine this week as well. I just used the default settings, all 3 switches off. And it feels great! Have you tried this?
Although, I will freely acknowledge that I am not an expert on how sensitive the original tempest spinner is.

I tried the default position first. I then increased the something or other by flipping switch 1. That was no good. I put it back to off and flipped switch 3 which seemed the best setting. But, again, I don’t remember how the original Tempest felt. I may just need to get used to it. I do agree that it feels a lot better than the stock one that came with the game.

#2553 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

Just out of curiosity, I fired up a game and on the first level, I turn the spinner about 1.5 revolutions to produce about 1 revolution on the screen. Is yours in this same range?
To me, it feels good, but I have no idea if it’s accurate to the original.

Yep, I'm the same. I'm getting more used to it the more I play. The gross controls for fast spins works great. I'm really just trying to hone the fine controls to zero in on the lane I'm trying to be in. That I have a little more difficulty with.

#2555 4 years ago

Alright, I’m digging Tempest now. I’m getting a feel for the replacement spinner. Also, I was having difficulty because I felt the fire button was sticking. It made it really difficult to play. I just swapped it with the middle button, which only gets used infrequently in Asteroids for hyperspace. Wow! What a difference. I finally feel like I’m playing the arcade game. Just got my highest score so far. Guess these things need to be dialed in like everything else.

#2557 4 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Just curious if anyone who has the $199 Astroids 1up from Costco thinks it's worth it?

I got it for $75 from Walmart. That was definitely worth it. As mentioned before, the stock spinner that comes with it is junk. I think it really makes Tempest unplayable. Asteroids doesn’t rely on it and remains a very fun game. But if you want to also have a good time with Tempest, you will need to invest $50 in a third party spinner. The one I got was easy to install, plug and play.

3 weeks later
#2636 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Can you show us any pictures of the new spinner?

He likely means this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ThunderStick-Arcade-Spinner-for-Arcade1Up/dp/B07P5WJ7BC/ref=sr_1_2

I bought it as well, and it is excellent.

#2639 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Nice, but I meant how it looks after he installed his (hopefully from the underside).

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

4 months later
#2753 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Just setup my rampage and audio/video is laggy/skippy then when I play defender it locks up once you start a game :/ ugh see how this warranty goes

I’ve had very good service from them on warranty issues.

6 months later
#2960 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Big Buck Hunter, X-Men and Ms. Pac-Man too! I guess Namco got the license back!
https://www.ign.com/articles/arcade1up-ms-pac-man-marvel-x-men-street-fighter-capcom-cabinets

Oh wow! I've been really wanting Ms. Pac-Man, and my wife would love it, but I'm out of space for Arcade1Ups. I have 3. Maybe it's time to invade other rooms in the house besides the game room.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nokoro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-?tu=Nokoro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.