• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 5 years ago

Interesting concept. Curious as well on how hard it would be to add more games. Wonder if a jamma board would work in one.

1 week later
#82 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

I wound up ordering one of these kits...its just a hair more than the cost of two of these if you get the custom side graphics with it, but has the ability to hold an infinite number of games. Also sports a 22" monitor instead of 17".
https://gameroomsolutions.com/shop/bartop-arcade-kit-deluxe/[quoted image]

Are you sure about that? Reading the description it doesn't come with a monitor or computer unless you buy their "Plug and Play" pack which brings the cost up to $1000.

Base kit - $219
Add Controls - $89 (you're going to want the Sanwa Kit)
Graphics installed - $129
Bezel to frame the TV - $25
Need a computer to run it - Guts Pack - $229

That's $691 and still doesn't show to come with the monitor. Looks like all you get with their kit is the wood shell and the rest is add ons.

1 week later
#166 5 years ago

I'm torn. I like the idea of a couple of these cabs (really wish they had 1942 but I see 1944 is their in one) but am also considering a jamma or mame cab that can do more of the games I really enjoy. Isn't the emulation on the jamma's buggy or is that just mame?

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

A JAMMA Box can have a few buggy games in it too.
But when you are getting 4000 games for $100, I guess you can forgive a few duds, lol
MAME is more for someone who knows about how to build a computer, the need for faster video cards, front ends, ect
JAMMA Box is a little more 'plug and play', but you are limited to the games that it comes with.
[quoted image]

I'm comfortable with mame as I used to be a virtual pinball content provider for a couple years and built my own VP Cab. Just trying g to figure out which of the 3 would play the best. I don't have space for the half dozen or so arcade games I want in full size.

#230 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

[quoted image]
Oh shit, I’ve bought those toys too... I guess I’m not a true pinball enthusiast.... Like, I mean, I only have one full sized pin (GoT), two full sized arcades (MAME), and one sit down driving set up (gran tourismo). So, like I don’t even have a valid opinion, right?

I've got a zizzle also. Perfect for my wife's 2nd grade classroom. Took it home last year for my kids and her class was pissed! Putting it back this year. I'll deny I said this but after upgrading the power supply, putting real rubbers on it and adding some graphics it's actually kind of fun.

1 week later
#386 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Right, or, again, there is that nice tasty pie. But I'm not mentioning that here, nope. But going back to a post I made in this thread at the very beginning, my main interest in one of these is in the possibility to hack it a bit. Assuming the controls are good, to be able to get into there and see if you can take over everything with one of the pies. That way you don't have to build or buy a cab, get the controls and screen etc. So, still waiting for hack reports, I'm sure someone somewhere is thinking about this.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was considering it as well. Buy the SF2 cab and when I get bored with it, slap an old PC in it and run some MAME.

#398 5 years ago

Raise your hand if you are looking to buy one of these and expecting to hand it off in your will when you die? Nobody, OK, we can now move on to real expectations.

Buttons and Joysticks are wearable items just like coil sleeves and stops are in pinball machines. The board and monitor should easily last 5-10 years under house hold use. If not then we are ROYALLY SCREWED with our pinball machines (think Node boards and the LCD score panels now). They shouldn't last a year.... If the concern is the cab, just don't be stupid with it. My wife still has IKEA cabinets, desk and bookshelf's that are holding up just fine and are 15 years old and have gone through 4 moves.

#410 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

False. I've made exactly 10. 4 of them have been responding to you - today. And there were some compliments in there like, "that's a pretty well-produced assembly video. Props to them for that!" that you chose to ignore for your weird narrative.

Actually, you are choosing to ignore the narrative and you conveniently omit the first part of that comment. This is what you said and it's not exactly a positive comment. It's kind of like saying saying Iron Maiden sucks but at least the art is nice. Still a general negative comment about the product.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah it looks super-cheap and crappy, but that's a pretty well-produced assembly video. Props to them for that!

You're free to say positive and negative comments all you like. But at least be honest with yourself. He said 12 (it was 10) which was a pretty good guess without actually counting them. You said you've made positive comments. I haven't found a single one. Where is it?

Quoted from PinMonk:

Put it next to your kiddie urinal.
[quoted image]

Quoted from PinMonk:

EDIT: Nevermind. Seems like the whole video was spliced here for some dumb reason....
Check out the major glitch in Street Fighter II at the 44 second mark in the E3 video. Looks like crap emulation. No thanks:

Quoted from PinMonk:

I see it now. The guy playing jumps back on screen, too. I was too focused on the screen. Why would they edit a video of gameplay WHILE HE'S PLAYING?!

Quoted from PinMonk:

But are they 1299 discrete games, or are many of them 20 or more each of each SNK fighting game.

Quoted from PinMonk:

$99 clearance next spring, like last time.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Those still work today. I doubt these things will be working in 10 years, let alone 35.

Quoted from PinMonk:

These are CHEAP electronics. They're not built to last. Surface mount components + ultra cheap manufacture specs=won't last as long as a 2600.

Quoted from PinMonk:

I GET that. I'm just saying that the 2600 was built better than these new toys, which is why it often still works 35 years later. The spec on this new disposable stuff is much cheaper. "Just barely good enough" is good enough these days.

Quoted from PinMonk:

"Threatened" is a little hysterical. I made a point. A valid point. You found that threatening somehow?

For those of us interested in them for what they are (a toy) you are really become a major downer.

2 weeks later
#490 5 years ago

The company behind arcade 1 up is the same one as hatchamals, so I would expect a multi million dollar add campaign for Christmas.

Ah dang, now I have to rethink of these anymore. Those damn hatchamals took my daughter from normal to crazy! I swear they put crack into those dang eggs.

1 week later
#497 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Agreed. I don’t know who this trade in “deal” is for but it isn’t me.

Probably someone like me. I bought a PS4, GTA and Gran Turismo. I missed playing GT and GTA from my college days and wanted to get back into them. They botched GT by not allowing you to customize the cars as you did in the past and I hate the gameplay of the new GTA. Like the story line but hate the controls and how I can't customize them to meet my needs (have to pick from per-determined settings).

So at the end of the day i spent a lot of cash for a console and 2 games that i played 2 weeks and has bend sitting in a cabinet collecting dust for a year now

#502 5 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Someone posted a pic on facebook. Thing is so tiny. I imagine most will be adding the riser.
[quoted image]

WOW, that looks even smaller than I imagined. It really puts it into better perspective.

#510 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Big guy assembles Rampage in the smallest room in his apartment

I can't help but think how many of those "K" pieces are going to get broken just hanging their while people put the LCD panel together. They really shouldn't have you put that piece in until you are ready to install the other side.

willbreak (resized).jpgwillbreak (resized).jpg
#517 5 years ago

Shoot, I actually like my zizzle and think the home pin was a great idea but just priced out of its market.

My zizzle was perfect for my wife's 2nd grade classroom and my kids until they got big enough for the real ones.

Home pins are actually fun to play. If they could get them out the door for 2k NIB I actually think they would have sold well.

#565 5 years ago

Can we please just stop with the "who's market" is it post? If it's not for you then who the F cares, move on already. Their is obviously a market for them or they wouldn't have SOLD out before being released. I'm guessing that someone did some market research before starting the business and it looks like their research wasn't to bad as they are selling.

I for one would like to hear about feedback on performance of them without having to sift through dozens of post of people who aren't in the market for them and just want to throw shit at something just to try and look cool. Nobody cares....

#567 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'm not arguing who the market is for, just the made up numbers trying to justify what someone thinks the target market is. All the posts complaining about the form-factor and quality were met with "its not made for you" so the next logical thing to discuss would be who its made for.
I for one would like to hear about feedback on performance of them without having to sift through dozens of post of people who justify all the shortcomings of the product by implying they were made shitty because neophytes wont know any better.
What exactly did you want to know about them that hasn't been covered already? These are tiny machines with 4:3 LCD displays, low quality controls, and are powered by hardware closely related to Pandora's boxes.

The big one is lag. Early on in the conversations people thought their may be excessive lag. I'm not talking about frame rate types of lag but more along the lines of input lag. Kind of like some experience with Virtual Pinball. I'd also like to hear about gameplay from those that maybe own or have played a MAME cab and aren't going to just diss it because it's made like IKEA furniture (True story, my IKEA entertainment center is 10 years old and rock solid by the way...) or doesn't have top of the line buttons.

2 weeks later
#680 5 years ago

They had a SF2 cab at the Houston Arcade show so I was able to try it. Some thoughts:
- The size was fine and I was pretty comfortable while playing in a chair. I'm on the smaller size at 5-8 though. I'm not sure I'd want to play it 2 player though.
- I'm not an avid player so I didn't notice any delay in controls.
- The sound was fine. Not great but not as bad as I was expecting due to speaker placement.
- Why did they go with a 4 gate Their were several Arcade versions of the SF2 their as well so I was able to play both the arcade 1up and a full size real version. I never thought of the difference until playing both. 1UP version felt odd with the gates. The ball vs bat was odd as well but I heard they were fixing that.
- Game felt sturdy enough and the cab looked nice
- Graphics. I was surprised that the 1UP version looked lower quality than the full size versions. I expected them to be the same but it felt lower quality (more grainy) but that could have just been me.

If they put a (don't know the technical name) octagon gated controller in them I'd go for one. With the 4 gate it felt to weird so I'm probably at a pass.

Hope this helps others that are on the fence like me without the ability to see one in person.

#684 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Sf2 arcades didn’t have octo gates. They had American style sticks with a square actuator.
The 1up cab has a Japanese style stick which is what all modern console sticks come with.

I'll take your word for it. I just know that with the 1UP I could feel the square and with the actual arcade game it felt like a circle. Maybe the owner did something to the arcade though.

#686 5 years ago

Amen. Expo is going to be very expensive. Got to play Maiden Prem and Deadpool Prem for the first times. Thought I was pro all day on those two. After expo I fell in love with the prem's...

2 weeks later
#753 5 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

They are sending me the overlays for my 2 and also the marquee sticker for Galaga. Anyone else see any issues w/ the high scores? On Centipede I had a high score (last night) and another in 2nd and that I was sure of the scores and they are gone now but other scores/names are still there, pretty odd.

It's my understanding these aren't set up to save high scores.

2 weeks later
#887 5 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

I hate this, some idiot on Ebay trying to pass this off as an Original game. He could have least tried to lower the pricing or remove box from background as he deceives the potential buyer.
see
ebay.com link » 1979 Original Asteroid Machine

Hmmm. Part of me wants to buy it with PayPal and when I get it tell ebay and PayPal it's not as described and get it for free. May be time to use the system to start screwing those punks.

#923 5 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

And they’ll be even cheaper after Christmas when some returns roll in. Still not interested.

I just don't get it. You've made about half a dozen post in this thread that I can recall, without any of them being remotely positive towards this product, so why are you still here?

That makes as much sense to me as someone whom doesn't like Mexican food stopping off at the Mexican food restaurant every day just to tell everyone what they think about Mexican food. Are we really at that point in our society to where it's more important for people to engage in things they don't like then to just move along and find something they do enjoy or like?

1 week later
#1033 5 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Kinda surprised that a lot of Pinsiders like these considering how anal most of us are about our games. I'm much happier spending more $ and getting something that's made with a bit more commercial feel to it.

It's actually not that suprising. When you spend 5k on a new toy you expect a lot more than 300 bucks.

1 week later
#1103 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Starting to show up on Facebook marketplace.[quoted image]

Sure wish I could find some of these deals. I've been to every walmart within 20 miles of my house and every electronics store I go in I also check. They are all still $299+ everywhere. Ya'll are lucky.

I gave in and bought a SF2 for my kids (yeah, that's what I'm telling myself) and I've got to admit they are fun for what they are. I'd like to add Rampage and Galaga too if I could find them for a discount.

#1189 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

May think twice about that, I own a CGC multi-cade and a Game Gate multi-cade and the kids absolutely love them. Come to think of it I can't think of one day where my kids do not play them. There are thousands of games and they seem to play all of them. They literally play everyday and unfortunately play way more than the pins. These multi-cades I bought are the best bang for your buck when it comes to entertaining the children.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Where are you getting these for 1k, new? All of the ones I see are 3k plus with a controller and games.

#1190 5 years ago
Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Do today's kids really get excited about 80s video games? I mean I loved 80s games... but I didn't have a smartphone or an XBOX.

Yes, my 8 and 3 year old play our ss2 every day. They never saw or played ss2 before my wife came home with one.

#1210 5 years ago

What one is it? I’m confused
But then again, I’ve owned a zizzle in the past, so clearly I’m no expert on what I like.

Was thinking the same thing. I've gotten 5 good years out of my zizzle. Got it for my wife's classroom and it gets played and loved by them all the time.

#1249 5 years ago

No complaints here. Plays like a nice mame cab to me

1 week later
#1365 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Final Fight, Ghost N Goblins, 1944 & Strider cab pics are up![quoted image]

I hope this is one as I like all of those games

That, Mortal Kombat and a Turtles/Simpsons would be nice to have.

#1472 5 years ago

Let me ask a intentionally dumb question as I don't recall from my childhood. Are the SF2 and MK cabs normally a square gate on the joystick or were they more an octagon? I was thinking square but at an arcade last night I played a real MK and SF2 and the gate wasn't square so it was easier for me to complete some moves. Just not sure if those were replaced with a different design since they are so old now thus the question. If they normally came with the octagon any suggestions for a decent replacement? I'm not looking to go all out as I'm obviously not an arcade guru but the gameplay felt smoother so I'd like to change to that style if I can.

#1524 5 years ago

Haven't noticed either of those issues on my SF2. For it I can see the screen from any angle in front of the game.

1 week later
#1754 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Absolutely.
Of course, you will try to pick apart every point, trying to say that you once saw a MK2 cab for $50, everyone has a bin full of trackballs, and an extra Pi on their desk, and a full woodshop, but I'm going see what it would cost TODAY.
Let's take a realistic look:
-
Cab
Moms everywhere are putting the A1U in the living room, so your build can't be a blown-out cab with water damage along the bottom, and missing decals and T-molding.
It's got to obviously look good.
Looking on CL, the cheapest cab with a working, unburnt vert monitor was a working Scramble. Most of the other listings were missing the monitor, or were "unknown if monitor works", but this one says unburnt.
Pics look good as far as cab condition.
Guy is asking $350, I assume I can chew him down to $300 because the ad is almost a month old.
There were literally no other cabs with working unburnt monitors under $350, and I live in a metro area of millions of subhumans.
Not including your time, truck rental and gas, it looks like $300 here.
[quoted image]
-
Next, you've got to buy a computer to run it.
You mentioned you use Pi2JAMMA
That's $37 shipped.
Add $9 JAMMA cable to convert Scramble into standard JAMMA
Add the Pi, Pi power supply, SD card and mounting ring $47 shipped
Add power strip to supply power inside the cab, and we are at $100
-
The cab is going to need paint, primer and Bondo to look new.
I would shoot 2part auto paint, but you seem like a rattle can kind of guy, so primer & paint cans $30
Bondo $18
Sandpaper $12
The cab will need new Tmolding $20
The cab will need new graphics $120
I'd keep the Scramble Marquee, but if you want something different $45
Not including a ton of your time, you've got an easy $225 here
-
Next you need a control panel. I assume that most single mom's dont have a router or a bunch of hole-saw bits to make large holes for Joysticks, trackballs & buttons; let alone cutting out the panel itself.
Although not crazy deluxe, the XArcade seems like a solid choice for only $200 shipped
[quoted image]
-
Now most single moms are not fluent in Linux, so add a few hours on learning how to navigate the OS, formatting the card, finding an old USB keyboard, maybe finding an image already built, googling instructions, choosing just the games she wants (so she does not have to scroll through 50 versions of some Asian game she's never heard of).
Add a few hours in wiring the cab's speaker to the Pi, the controls to the Pi, troubleshooting the mapout, focusing the monitor, centering the image on the monitor, attaching the control panel to the cab, mounting the Pi, putting a non flickering bulb behind the marquee.
You want to move the power switch to the front of the machine, then wire it to the power strip.
-
If the 40 year old monitor kicks the bucket after a few weeks, most single mothers would not be able to service it, or even get it out of the cab.
Our 300lb Scramble cab is huge and can't just be picked up and moved to another room to make room for the christmas tree - especially by a single parent.
-
So we spent well over $800 and probably 30 hours of labor trying to go as cheaply as possible and still have a new looking cab that could be in the livingroom and not the garage.
Even if you only make $20 a hour, you've blown $1400, and many weeks of labor, research, frustration troubleshooting.
How many single mothers want to do any of the above, compared to just spending $200 and getting a brand new toy they can order with a single click, and pick up and carry???
(think before you post, you don't want to sound foolish)

This is depressing. I just learned that I have more in common with a single mom then I thought

#1830 5 years ago

OK, so this conversation has gotten above my current nerd level but I've gotta ask.

Isn't MAME in general a compromise also? I thought I had read that MAME doesn't play exactly the same as the real games due to emulation. So are we now drawing at straws that these suck because they have LCD's and and a MAME cab is best as long as you have the right CRT? Don't they both play the same so the only real difference being the scan lines and orientation of the monitor?

I'm truly curious as I completely understood the argument of don't get these but get a real version of the game if you want it to play right but all this talk about MAME has me confused as I thought the 1UP ran off MAME.

1 week later
#2071 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Anyone put a mylar sheet over the console panel instead of using a deck protector and how did it work out? Pics please!

I used this stuff and it worked perfectly. I used it as it was just temporary until my panel came in. Easy to install and easy to remove.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRRX21L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00

1 month later
#2359 5 years ago

Anyone know when the 1944 cab is being released? I thought it was supposed to come out in March.

1 month later
#2473 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've built some nice MAME cabs in my day, done all the front end stuff, etc. Then I kinda got over emulation and went down the real hardware rabbit hole. I don't recommend it, heh.
But, that said, my honest advice is this: pick as few games as you possibly can if you really want to enjoy them. And I mean few, like start with 10. I promise you that if you have a cab with 10 hand-picked games that you love you'll play them more and get more enjoyment out of the whole thing than you will with a list of 1000.
Don't worry about "maybe I'll want to play this some day" stuff, just pick 10 games you know you want to play. And if you ever reach a point where you've truly gotten tired of all 10, and mastered them, and are bored? Pick 10 more. But keep it small, when there's a list to scroll through it's paralyzing. And you get into a short attention span mode, where you scroll, trying something, then get antsy and want to back out to scroll more.

SOLID advice and goes for Virtual pinball as well. So many people put hundreds of games on those that you wind up scrolling forever to get to what you want to play.

On a separate note. Picked up a Final Fight cab over the weekend. Really enjoying it. I got it mainly for 1944 but the other 3 games are pretty fun too.

#2496 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Looks like a Walmart exclusive. Is that true? Hard to jump on this for $300 when all the past ones are being discounted but like the games.

Yes I believe it is. They had both Final Fight and MK there. Ironically enough they had them in the back and only the old games on the floor. I was going through them when an employee asked if they could help me find something. I told him I was looking for Final Fight as I saw they had 3 online. His answer - "Yes, we have those in the back. I'll get one if you want one."

Not sure why they are keeping them in the back but be sure to ask if you are looking for one. My family is really enjoying Final Fight. Feels like a good mix of games on the cab.

#2518 4 years ago

That looks real nice for the $600. I would consider the $$$ if someone local was doing that too and it was all set up from the start.

6 months later
#2758 4 years ago

Wish I could stumble across a deal like that. Ours was $349 for TMNT and I think $300 for golden tee

7 months later
#2974 3 years ago

Asked in another thread but thinking now that this might be the better place for it. Anyone have experience with this mod? https://arcademodup.com/product/arcade1up-mod-kit-bundle/
I've been looking at it for a month. Mixed reviews from some of the arcade forums but not sure if it's just people being picky or bad product. I just want something that is fairly plug and play to turn my SF2 into a MAME cab. I know I can build my own but I did all that with VP. This time I value my time more and just want it all ready to go for me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-?tu=85vett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.