• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg
There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 63.
#351 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I have a few RetroPie images fully loaded, but never tried them out myself since I stick to PC builds. I'll see how large they are and host them if you want.

Interested too Hunting ROMs sucks

#352 5 years ago
Quoted from voltron88x:

I can't host the RetroPie images because they are 100gb each. I have two of them, Ratty Dave v2 and NoInputs128 (if those names mean anything to you).

#353 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I doubt that we’ll see a plug and play mod like that. These look pretty locked down. One youtuber took it apart and there’s no usb connection on the board. You’d have to solder a connection to get access first.
I wonder about the screen. It’s connected by a ribbon cable so the video processing might even be on the main board and not on the screen. You might even need an lcd controller to connect it to a raspberry pi.
It looks easy to switch out the buttons and joysticks, but the size might be an issue.

Ya the control panel is easy to replace parts but with ribbon cables, that could be possible to find the pinout and replace their board with a pi, or if their board leaves pads for uart that can be debugged.... it will be much easier to say once the board is in someone’s hands

#354 5 years ago

For everyone who thought they had no more room for games in their house, but happen to have a crawl space...

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from voltron88x:

Nintendo and Namco have both started threatening legal action against anyone distributing illegal copies of their software, specifically singling-out ROM sites and sales of the xxx-in-1 JAMMA boards. Nintendo seems to have been particularly aggressive with the threats lately. The result is that most of the previously well-regarded resources for ROMs that existed for years abruptly stopped hosting them around early-mid June, and several US-based companies which previously sold the xxx-in-1 JAMMA boards (which are NOT licensed) have stopped doing so over the past few months.

It looks like the only way at present to get ROMs fairly easily without risking the dangers of sketchy sources is through archive.org. (They were granted some type of legal exception which allows them to host the ROMs legally; the catch is you have to download the full sets, which are 50+ GB.)

If you want a JAMMA board, it looks like the easiest option is Hong Kong based sellers via Amazon or Ebay.

#356 5 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

It looks like the only way at present to get ROMs fairly easily without risking the dangers of sketchy sources is through archive.org.

Wow. I knew they had arcade games, but didn't realize they had A LOT of them. I thought it was just the basic 80's ones.

#357 5 years ago
Quoted from jrockne:

For everyone who thought they had no more room for games in their house, but happen to have a crawl space...

My buddy Frodo got one, he says he does not even need the riser.

#358 5 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

UNLIMITED POWER!
[quoted image]

MAME + emulation = unlimited power!

0B92C790-4DC3-4D49-9464-48E4824C50BD (resized).jpeg0B92C790-4DC3-4D49-9464-48E4824C50BD (resized).jpeg

#359 5 years ago

It seems sucky that Galaga only comes with one other game, Galaxian.

You'd think they would have tossed you Satan's Hollow or Phoenix or something....

8a8536c3-1fc0-4ed2-a742-f9369557d74d_1.cf59b8329b5e0f694cc95ab7d149d114 (resized).jpeg8a8536c3-1fc0-4ed2-a742-f9369557d74d_1.cf59b8329b5e0f694cc95ab7d149d114 (resized).jpegd201cd75-452d-4b41-a202-f4dcbb2ba9d7_1.f20d42b5774ef5866094c2597cb1eba4 (resized).jpegd201cd75-452d-4b41-a202-f4dcbb2ba9d7_1.f20d42b5774ef5866094c2597cb1eba4 (resized).jpeg
#360 5 years ago
Di9oSqFUcAASXrH.jpg large (resized).jpgDi9oSqFUcAASXrH.jpg large (resized).jpg
#361 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You'd think they would have tossed you Satan's Hollow or Phoenix or something....[quoted image][quoted image]

Yea. One of the couple YouTube channels that are following this company posted a recent rumor that they had someone who works for Wal-Mart corporate email him about Pac-Man being a game mentioned at a meeting. The only other title included in it was Pac-Man Plus which is just a slight alteration of the original. I understand why they're doing this. To spread out titles as far as possible and sell as many $300 cabs as they can. But, it just seems kinda wasteful (all that particle board) when they could just make a Namco cab and include the most popular titles like Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga and Dig Dug. I do appreciate that they're making the more dedicated units for people who want that Pac-Man or Galaga art. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up consolidating the titles AFTER they've sold a bunch of the other stand alone's.

Obviously, it will depend on the how these things fare when they're released to the general public and we see some more reviews.

#362 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I understand why they're doing this. To spread out titles as far as possible and sell as many $300 cabs as they can.

Honestly I think they will sell far fewer of these cabs than if they had made a single cab with Pac-Man and Galaga. It’s a shame, really. These are probably the two most iconic games of all time. But buying one of these cabinets with one game in it is tough to swallow, even if it is Pac-Man or Galaga.

And yes I realize they each have two games, but Pac-Man Plus and Galaxian don’t count in my book because they would never get played.

#363 5 years ago

^ That's the Atari Flashback trick.

You got to keep buying them to get all the games.

#364 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You'd think they would have tossed you Satan's Hollow or Phoenix or something....[quoted image][quoted image]

AGREED

or Galaga 88, Galapus...just 1 more game

#365 5 years ago

Galaga is a better more polished game, but I love Galaxian too. To me the sound of Galaxian is the soundtrack of an arcade back when. It will get plenty of gameplay I think.

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I understand why they're doing this. To spread out titles as far as possible and sell as many $300 cabs as they can. But, it just seems kinda wasteful (all that particle board) when they could just make a Namco cab and include the most popular titles like Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga and Dig Dug.

Think back in 1977 when we all bought Mattel Electronic Football for $59.99 ($260 in today's dollars)

Then a year latter we all bought Football II (or Coleco Head to Head if you had any friends).

oijio (resized).jpgoijio (resized).jpg
#367 5 years ago

Spread the revenue out as far as you can till the money teet is dry.

I’m just a few years too young for Mattel Football but I remember the Tiger Electronics games well.

5F393D56-4557-4380-8FD7-647913EF2953 (resized).png5F393D56-4557-4380-8FD7-647913EF2953 (resized).png
#368 5 years ago

Or think the Atari 2600 cost $199 ($870 in today's dollars)

And each cartage cost $49 ($215 in today's dollars)

The Pacman cartage sold for $59 and was one of the worst programed games of all time

So the Arcade1up seem to be a much better value as far as toys go.

maxrasdfesdefault (resized).jpgmaxrasdfesdefault (resized).jpg
#369 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Pacman cartage sold for $59 and was one of the worst programed games of all time
So the Arcade1up seem to be a much better value as far as toys go.[quoted image]

I don't remember cartridges being that expensive. I remember buying some myself as a kid. I do remember the Atari 2600 console being expensive. My brother and I wanted one but knew it was probably too expensive for my parents. When we got one for Christmas we were blown away. Those were the days. The games kind of sucked but it was still so exciting to have video games at home. Nothing much to get excited about when it comes to games these days. It's all pretty much the same and all been done. One console replaces another and games are pretty much the same across every platform.

#370 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't remember cartridges being that expensive. I remember buying some myself as a kid. I do remember the Atari 2600 console being expensive. My brother and I wanted one but knew it was probably too expensive for my parents. When we got one for Christmas we were blown away. Those were the days. The games kind of sucked but it was still so exciting to have video games at home. Nothing much to get excited about when it comes to games these days. It's all pretty much the same and all been done. One console replaces another and games are pretty much the same across every platform.

New releases were about that price. Most were between $34-$49 except for the cheaper Activision games. One of my favorites was $10 Barnstormer.

#371 5 years ago

Most games were around $22-24. Later they were starting to approach the $29-34 price. The Activision games came out all priced at $19. It was one of their selling points. Pac-Man in '82 was $34.99 from the research I have done. This is all pre-crash. $34.99 in January '82 is $93.50 in current money.

#372 5 years ago

There were certainly some expensive games.

Remember the Swordquest games where you would win some real-life gold swords or something; those games cost $50, and were selling for full retail in 1982.

Then there were the games like SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSNAKE, that sold for $7.99 seemingly right at introduction, and you said to yourself "How bad could it be?". Bad.

swordqst (resized).jpgswordqst (resized).jpg
#373 5 years ago

Back in the early 2000's I found a bunch of NOS Atari games at a dollar store for $.50 each. Still in the original wrapper. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a single one. At the time, I thought, "I don't have an Atari, what would I do with these?"

#374 5 years ago

I wish I could find an ad for Phantasy Star for the SMS, I remember it being $79.99 in Toys R Us.

AtariAd (resized).jpgAtariAd (resized).jpg
#375 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Back in the early 2000's I found a bunch of NOS Atari games at a dollar store for $.50 each. Still in the original wrapper. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a single one. At the time, I thought, "I don't have an Atari, what would I do with these?"

Wow, that would have been a goldmine!

I only have one still wrapped game, a Pacman with a Sears price sticker of $59.99 on it, got it for $4 at a garage sale.

I only bought a few games for my 2600.

I had an EPROM burner for the pins, so I would just burn the games.

There was a ring of 2600 pirates down the street that were selling "Any game, $15" in totally black cartridges with just a number on them, so they had images for just about anything you had ever heard of.

I'd fix their broken systems and joysticks, they'd keep me supplied with every title.

I bet everyone remembers these carts with the ZIF socket on them:

564f7b8db7839_161347b (resized).jpg564f7b8db7839_161347b (resized).jpg
#376 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

I wish I could find an ad for Phantasy Star for the SMS, I remember it being $79.99 in Toys R Us.

That ad was for the 4 switch VCS that appeared in ~1980

The $199 original has 6 switches on the front.

It seems odd nowadays that a video game system could have been actually built in California, lol

(I remember when I read that the Moto X cellphone was made in the USA, and I was like "Wait, what????")

#377 5 years ago
Quoted from jchiu:

New releases were about that price. Most were between $34-$49 except for the cheaper Activision games. One of my favorites was $10 Barnstormer.

I remember buying Activision's Stampede at Circus World in the mall. It was great fun, I loved it. Side scrolling cow lassoing.

#378 5 years ago

Maybe these 299 cabs will get people into collecting other video games. Not very many arcade enthusiasts I know could stop at just one pinball machine or one arcade cabinet.

On a less optimistic note: the 60in1 multicade market is going to have to drop their prices to match or get way closer their price

#379 5 years ago
Quoted from marcand:On a less optimistic note: the 60in1 multicade market is going to have to drop their prices to match or get way closer their price

The first company that makes a 60in1 board with native connectors for the Arcade1up cab - wins!

#380 5 years ago
Quoted from marcand:

Maybe these 299 cabs will get people into collecting other video games.

I hope not.

Used game prices are too high already.

#381 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Wow, that would have been a goldmine!
I only have one still wrapped game, a Pacman with a Sears price sticker of $59.99 on it, got it for $4 at a garage sale.
I only bought a few games for my 2600.
I had an EPROM burner for the pins, so I would just burn the games.
There was a ring of 2600 pirates down the street that were selling "Any game, $15" in totally black cartridges with just a number on them, so they had images for just about anything you had ever heard of.
I'd fix their broken systems and joysticks, they'd keep me supplied with every title.
I bet everyone remembers these carts with the ZIF socket on them:[quoted image]

And now you can get a 20 MB zip file that has every 2600 game ever made and play any of them on a emulator on a PC or a 35$ R Pi. So I have heard.

#382 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

And now you can get a 20 MB zip file that has every 2600 game ever made and play any of them on a emulator on a PC or a 35$ R Pi. So I have heard.

We apparently aren't allowed to mention Raspberry Pie in here.

#383 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I have MAC’s and am not interested in a PC emulator so I’m not included in the MAMEverse.

#384 5 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

I have MAC’s and am not interested in a PC emulator so I’m not included in the MAMEverse.

http://mameosx.sourceforge.net

#385 5 years ago

Right, or, again, there is that nice tasty pie. But I'm not mentioning that here, nope. But going back to a post I made in this thread at the very beginning, my main interest in one of these is in the possibility to hack it a bit. Assuming the controls are good, to be able to get into there and see if you can take over everything with one of the pies. That way you don't have to build or buy a cab, get the controls and screen etc. So, still waiting for hack reports, I'm sure someone somewhere is thinking about this.

#386 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Right, or, again, there is that nice tasty pie. But I'm not mentioning that here, nope. But going back to a post I made in this thread at the very beginning, my main interest in one of these is in the possibility to hack it a bit. Assuming the controls are good, to be able to get into there and see if you can take over everything with one of the pies. That way you don't have to build or buy a cab, get the controls and screen etc. So, still waiting for hack reports, I'm sure someone somewhere is thinking about this.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I was considering it as well. Buy the SF2 cab and when I get bored with it, slap an old PC in it and run some MAME.

#387 5 years ago

Atari 2600? Let's talk Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I grabbed a Halloween for a friend some years back as he is a huge fan of the franchise and consoles, good combo!

Brad

halloween.pnghalloween.pngtcm.pngtcm.png
#388 5 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Atari 2600? Let's talk Halloween and Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I grabbed a Halloween for a friend some years back as he is a huge fan of the franchise and consoles, good combo!
Brad[quoted image][quoted image]

There is a retro gaming thread somewhere here on pinside

#389 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

There is a retro gaming thread somewhere here on pinside

Yes but I think that one got hijacked by people talking about $299 New Arcade Cabinets.

Brad

#390 5 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Yes but I think that one got hijacked by people talking about $299 New Arcade Cabinets.
Brad

Seriously!?! Lol, I wouldn’t be surprised

#391 5 years ago

Best Buy has just made available the deluxe cabinet for $100 less than fry’s. It seems to be the same cabinet from what I can tell. Asteroids, Centipede, Tempest, Missile Command and 8 other games with riser included for $399.

#392 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

So the Arcade1up seem to be a much better value as far as toys go.[quoted image]

Those still work today. I doubt these things will be working in 10 years, let alone 35.

#393 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Those still work today. I doubt these things will be working in 10 years, let alone 35.

What specifically gives you doubt? These are just electronics, there’s no reason that I can foresee to make one think that they won’t last a long time.

If your clairvoyant I’d like to know.

#394 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Someone's going to have to explain arcade punks to me. I guess I don't understand it. Like I said, I don't want to download gigs worth of image files. I want to download only the games I want.
And I'm putting them on a Raspberry Pi with RetroPie. So I'm not sure what Hyperspin is and if that even works for RetroPie.

Download them individually here, Hyperspin is a front end program that allows you to navigate using the joystick instead of the keyboard.

https://www.emuparadise.me/M.A.M.E._-_Multiple_Arcade_Machine_Emulator_ROMs/7

#395 5 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

Download them individually here, Hyperspin is a front end program that allows you to navigate using the joystick instead of the keyboard.
https://www.emuparadise.me/M.A.M.E._-_Multiple_Arcade_Machine_Emulator_ROMs/7

Emu Paradise has pulled all of their roms and has practically shut down.

#396 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

What specifically gives you doubt? These are just electronics, there’s no reason that I can foresee to make one think that they won’t last a long time.
If your clairvoyant I’d like to know.

These are CHEAP electronics. They're not built to last. Surface mount components + ultra cheap manufacture specs=won't last as long as a 2600.

#397 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Bitrot has killed some of my cartridges, and there are 2 caps that often die on the VCS.

These are just toys for wealthy people, lol

They are not built to military or even coin-op specs.....sheesh.

#398 5 years ago

Raise your hand if you are looking to buy one of these and expecting to hand it off in your will when you die? Nobody, OK, we can now move on to real expectations.

Buttons and Joysticks are wearable items just like coil sleeves and stops are in pinball machines. The board and monitor should easily last 5-10 years under house hold use. If not then we are ROYALLY SCREWED with our pinball machines (think Node boards and the LCD score panels now). They shouldn't last a year.... If the concern is the cab, just don't be stupid with it. My wife still has IKEA cabinets, desk and bookshelf's that are holding up just fine and are 15 years old and have gone through 4 moves.

#399 5 years ago

If these become popular, some Chinese company on Ali Express is going to make a 60 in one board that will snap right into the existing Arcade1up ribbon cables.

#400 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

These are CHEAP electronics. They're not built to last.

Do I worry that my Nintendo Switch is not built to last?

Do worry that I have two Playstation 1 that have dead drives in them?

These are toys

^read the above again^

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/8?hl=voltron88x and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.