• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg
There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 63.
#2601 4 years ago

Agreed, I greatly preferred plasma, other than the burn-in issue. When you do finally have to replace it, you will have to choose a different type of display, so start making your peace with it now.

#2602 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My Plasma rules.
Can't help but wonder how much longer it'll last. Gotta be almost 10 years old at this point.

My 65" Plasma died a few months ago. Had it for 9 years. Gonna try rebuilding it. Picture quality was much better then the new LCD we bought.

#2603 4 years ago

OLED's look so beautiful in the store. Blacks are black. And I've had my Galaxy S7 for a few years now, and it has an OLED screen I believe, and I haven't noticed a burn in issue with it.

But I do play a lot of games on my TV, and always hate playing a game with a compass on screen, like GTA. I'll have a circle on screen for a few days.

But watching Chernobyl, I noticed whenever they put the Date, or location on the screen in big bold letters right in the center, they left a mark in just the short time they were up. First time I've noticed it that quickly. At first I thought it was my eyes. Like how you can do an optical illusion by looking at something for a period of time and then looking away. I thought the burn-in was in my eyes. lol

#2604 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

OLEDs are susceptible to burn-in, so they are not an ideal choice for a video game system.
At least, this was true a couple years ago, I don't know if they've solved the burn in issues on newer models.

We game on ours all the time, and no issues with burn in. When the TV is "off" the TV is refreshing the cells transparently which is something plasma never did. You may get some persistence on a white screen if you've been gaming with a HUD for 8 hours, but it's gone the next time you watch it. You'd have to REALLY abuse the set to get burn (24/7 same set of images on vivid would do it since there's no down time to refresh the cells). OLED is the ONLY way to watch movies. Amazing HDR, smooth motion, and unbelievable black levels. We went from Panasonic VT level plasmas (top of the line for 65" they didn't make the Z ones that large) to OLED and OLED is hands-down better. We'd never have an LCD. The loss of picture quality compared to OLED, even on the top end models, is too much to swallow. There's a reason manufacturers are licensing OLED now for top-end sets - it's the best picture. Never lost a head-to-head with any LCD.

#2605 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We game on ours all the time, and no issues with burn in.

That is great news, hopefully it stays that way!

#2606 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

My 65" Plasma died a few months ago. Had it for 9 years. Gonna try rebuilding it. Picture quality was much better then the new LCD we bought.

Just repaired my Pioneer Kuro. Was having issues turning on but there are a few guys that do board repair on eBay, just search your model. $60 shipped for most repairs. My Kuro is ready for another 10 years!

20190421_125912 (resized).jpg20190421_125912 (resized).jpg20190613_140236 (resized).jpg20190613_140236 (resized).jpg
#2607 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

$200 more than the Arcade 1UPs they released last year and they added a yoke and that's it? Seems like not such a great value proposition.
(And $199 would be like $450 in 2019 dollars, but the Vectrex screen was only 9", to be fair.)

9", monochrome and a lot slower scan rate than the Ampliphone displays. Including that flight yoke and licensing fees that probably had to go to Lucas Film / Disney, that's not really a bad deal.
BTW Return of the Jedi was a raster game, so you couldn't do it on a Vector display.

#2608 4 years ago

Star Wars is coming!!!!

#2609 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My Plasma rules.
Can't help but wonder how much longer it'll last. Gotta be almost 10 years old at this point.

I'm not buying another TV until microled tech is perfected and affordable.

#2610 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We game on ours all the time, and no issues with burn in. When the TV is "off" the TV is refreshing the cells transparently which is something plasma never did. You may get some persistence on a white screen if you've been gaming with a HUD for 8 hours, but it's gone the next time you watch it. You'd have to REALLY abuse the set to get burn (24/7 same set of images on vivid would do it since there's no down time to refresh the cells). OLED is the ONLY way to watch movies. Amazing HDR, smooth motion, and unbelievable black levels. We went from Panasonic VT level plasmas (top of the line for 65" they didn't make the Z ones that large) to OLED and OLED is hands-down better. We'd never have an LCD. The loss of picture quality compared to OLED, even on the top end models, is too much to swallow. There's a reason manufacturers are licensing OLED now for top-end sets - it's the best picture. Never lost a head-to-head with any LCD.

We have a P65ZT60 (the last 65” they made) which is STILL outstanding. I haven’t been able to justify going to OLED. The crap TVs in the house are LCD but my son doesn’t seem to care

#2611 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

We have a P65ZT60 (the last 65” they made) which is STILL outstanding. I haven’t been able to justify going to OLED. The crap TVs in the house are LCD but my son doesn’t seem to care

The last year they didn't make 65" ZTs did they? I know I was looking for one and had to "settle" for a VT which I bought to last 5 years until OLED tech became affordable (it was only small screens in expensive electronics at that point). I think I only had to wait 3 years to buy a 65" OLED. I HIGHLY recommend making the jump from plasma to OLED, especially if you have Netflix and Amazon Prime video. OLED + HDR is AMAZING quality TV time.

#2612 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The last year they didn't make 65" ZTs did they? I know I was looking for one and had to "settle" for a VT which I bought to last 5 years until OLED tech became affordable (it was only small screens in expensive electronics at that point). I think I only had to wait 3 years to buy a 65" OLED. I HIGHLY recommend making the jump from plasma to OLED, especially if you have Netflix and Amazon Prime video. OLED + HDR is AMAZING quality TV time.

Well... mine is 65”... here’s one on eBay:
ebay.com link: 0

I don’t do HDR currently, so maybe thats worth looking at! The Zs are not 4K or HDR

#2613 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well... mine is 65”... here’s one on eBay:
ebay.com link
I don’t do HDR currently, so maybe thats worth looking at! The Zs are not 4K or HDR

I don't think any plasmas are HDR, it came years after their time. It's one of the biggest differences with OLED. Lost in Space looks FANTASTIC in HDR, especially some of the planetscapes. 4k makes less difference than HDR. But yeah, HD Netflix with HDR and Amazon Prime video with HDR are really something special. Best place to get high-bitrate HDR shows.

#2614 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't think any plasmas are HDR, it came years after their time. It's one of the biggest differences with OLED. Lost in Space looks FANTASTIC in HDR, especially some of the planetscapes. 4k makes less difference than HDR. But yeah, HD Netflix with HDR and Amazon Prime video with HDR are really something special. Best place to get high-bitrate HDR shows.

Nothing beats 4k Blu-ray. If you want only the best the picture is noticably better than streaming services for 4k HDR and Atmos sound.

#2615 4 years ago

Fun fact. My parents have owned 3 HD TV's. Their last one that they just got during Black friday last year is 4K. But in the 10 years of having an HDTV, they have yet to have had an HD signal.

They live in such a rural area that there's no HD cable signal. TV service is provided by the local phone company. And they refuse to get Dish or DirectTV. Their internet connection is 2.5mb at best, so they can't even do streaming.

#2616 4 years ago

I initially thought the Star Wars was a great idea, but the more I thought about it the less enthusiastic I got.

Given how badly they fumbled something as simple as a spinner, I don't have high hopes for the SW yoke. Also, my daughter picked me up an Asteroids on clearance, and the LCD monitors just don't do vector games justice.

Again, probably a nice unit for a novelty, but probably not gonna be for me.

#2617 4 years ago
Quoted from racer_x:

I initially thought the Star Wars was a great idea, but the more I thought about it the less enthusiastic I got.
Given how badly they fumbled something as simple as a spinner, I don't have high hopes for the SW yoke. Also, my daughter picked me up an Asteroids on clearance, and the LCD monitors just don't do vector games justice.
Again, probably a nice unit for a novelty, but probably not gonna be for me.

I wonder how many other games could use these yoke controls and how mame-able thay will be.

#2618 4 years ago

I would think Stars Wars game would loose interest quickly. Watched couple videos on YouTube and could not see it being a must have arcade

#2619 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

I would think Stars Wars game would loose interest quickly. Watched couple videos on YouTube and could not see it being a must have arcade

We'll, they're doing the 4p Ninja Turtles, and on free play that game has no legs at all. I had one, but sold it fairly quickly.

It's a fun game to play with friends a few times at the bar or arcade, but just couldn't last in a collection

#2621 4 years ago

So.. when will the cocktail game version be for sale?

#2622 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I wonder how many other games could use these yoke controls and how mame-able thay will be.

Not to many that use the X / Y axis yokes other than the 3 Star wars games other than games like Turbo Sub and Lock On (that I know of).
Turbo Sub (resized).jpgTurbo Sub (resized).jpgLock on (resized).jpgLock on (resized).jpg

There are several games that use steering yokes like Road Riot 4WD, Road Blasters and S.T.U.N. Runner.

#2623 4 years ago

S.T.U.N. Runner uses the X/Y as does Hydra. Firefox also uses the same basic yoke as SW.

#2624 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The last year they didn't make 65" ZTs did they? I know I was looking for one and had to "settle" for a VT which I bought to last 5 years until OLED tech became affordable (it was only small screens in expensive electronics at that point). I think I only had to wait 3 years to buy a 65" OLED.

The 2013 Panny VT/ZT60 models were the closing ceremonies for plasma. I have the latest Sony OLED (A9G) but can't let my Panny 65VT60 go. Long live plasma (and 3D)!

#2625 4 years ago
Quoted from highdef:

The 2013 Panny VT/ZT60 models were the closing ceremonies for plasma. I have the latest Sony OLED (A9G) but can't let my Panny 65VT60 go. Long live plasma (and 3D)!

Watch enough HDR shows and that Panny will start looking awfully shabby. We still have a 37" (bedroom armoire, biggest that would fit) and two 50" Pannys, but everyone prefers the 65" OLED for most watching. These Pannys are not long for the world here...

#2626 4 years ago
Quoted from racer_x:

S.T.U.N. Runner uses the X/Y as does Hydra. Firefox also uses the same basic yoke as SW.

Forgot about Fire Fox. I worked on one years ago when it was fairly new.

There's also the "Bradley Trainer" :b1 (resized).jpgb1 (resized).jpg
And The X / Y yoke was originally planned for Battle Zone.

#2627 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Fun fact. My parents have owned 3 HD TV's. Their last one that they just got during Black friday last year is 4K. But in the 10 years of having an HDTV, they have yet to have had an HD signal.
They live in such a rural area that there's no HD cable signal. TV service is provided by the local phone company. And they refuse to get Dish or DirectTV. Their internet connection is 2.5mb at best, so they can't even do streaming.

Using an antenna plugged into the coax port gets zero channels?

#2628 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Using an antenna plugged into the coax port gets zero channels?

They're 60 miles plus from the local TV station.

#2629 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There are filters for MAME and other emulators which curve the image of the screen like a CRT. It works quite well, and while you’re playing, it effectively fools the eye

This is true, I believe it is called hlsl, however requires a lot of processor power to fuel, Arcade1up couldn’t even try

#2630 4 years ago

Lol, they expect people to play Tron on that control panel, hahahahaha, ridiculous... and it’s one of their selling points

#2631 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

They're 60 miles plus from the local TV station.

It's more important how far they are from the TV station's broadcast ANTENNA.

Unless they're in a valley, a powered roof antenna should let them pick up the signal. We're IN a valley and can pick up the antennas around that are at least 60 miles away. FCC has a map of broadcast towers you can check.

I got a cheap antenna for the roof that I really had my doubts about, powered it to boost the signal and we get all the channels in HD. Fox is kind of iffy, but it comes in unless it's storming. The best thing about it is it's not compressed to oblivion. That's what pushed us off Charter. I couldn't deal with their constantly increasing compression. The pictures looked TERRIBLE for $100+ a month. We're doing antenna+streaming now and it's much better (though consolidation of all the dumb streaming apps HAS to happen at some point).

#2632 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's more important how far they are from the TV station's broadcast ANTENNA.
Unless they're in a valley, a powered roof antenna should let them pick up the signal. We're IN a valley and can pick up the antennas around that are at least 60 miles away. FCC has a map of broadcast towers you can check.
I got a cheap antenna for the roof that I really had my doubts about, powered it to boost the signal and we get all the channels in HD. Fox is kind of iffy, but it comes in unless it's storming. The best thing about it is it's not compressed to oblivion. That's what pushed us off Charter. I couldn't deal with their constantly increasing compression. The pictures looked TERRIBLE for $100+ a month. We're doing antenna+streaming now and it's much better (though consolidation of all the dumb streaming apps HAS to happen at some point).

Pretty sure broadcast station and antenna are the same distance.

Believe me, I've tried to talk them into something. We USED to have one of those large powered rotary antennas. Then we got The Dish in the late 90's. Then we got local TV through the telephone company, so the old antenna came down.

I keep trying to talk them into doing something to get HD, but it's just not a priority for them. They can watch the news, their shows, and sports, and that's all that matters.

1 week later
#2633 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My Plasma rules.

Ditto! There isn't a day that I watch my plasma that I'm not pleased with the PQ on this thing.

Simple rule for quality PQ is if the pixels aren't lighting themselves, it's basically a hack. So stick with Plasma or OLED screens.

Of course, I'm not primarily playing video games on mine so burn-in isn't such a concern.

(And I only play arcade games on a real CRT arcade monitor too, so call me an annoying purist).

#2634 4 years ago

I finally replaced my spinner on my Atari 12 in 1. Got it off Amazon w/an interface board. Easy install and the spinner is worlds better. Recommended if you like Tempest !!

#2635 4 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

I finally replaced my spinner on my Atari 12 in 1. Got it off Amazon w/an interface board. Easy install and the spinner is worlds better. Recommended if you like Tempest !!

Can you show us any pictures of the new spinner?

#2636 4 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Can you show us any pictures of the new spinner?

He likely means this one:

https://www.amazon.com/ThunderStick-Arcade-Spinner-for-Arcade1Up/dp/B07P5WJ7BC/ref=sr_1_2

I bought it as well, and it is excellent.

#2637 4 years ago

My neighbor just installed Glenn’s spinner on his steroids. He said it was awesome. For sure need to upgrade mine, just haven’t decided to which one...

#2638 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

He likely means this one:
amazon.com link »
I bought it as well, and it is excellent.

Nice, but I meant how it looks after he installed his (hopefully from the underside).

#2639 4 years ago

Nice, but I meant how it looks after he installed his (hopefully from the underside).

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#2640 4 years ago

Here it is folks, at the San Diego Comic con:IMG_1450 (resized).jpgIMG_1450 (resized).jpgIMG_1451 (resized).jpgIMG_1451 (resized).jpgIMG_1452 (resized).jpgIMG_1452 (resized).jpg
Not a production model, with only Star Wars playable, but the finished one doesn't come out until late November anyways.
I will try to get some better pictures later today.

#2641 4 years ago

Here it is folks, at the San Diego Comic con:[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Not a production model, with only Star Wars playable, but the finished one doesn't come out until late November anyways.
I will try to get some better pictures later today.

Did you get a feel for the flight yoke? This is definitely on my Christmas radar.

#2642 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Did you get a feel for the flight yoke? This is definitely on my Christmas radar.

I doubt that is the production yoke. They had previously displayed it with an arcade yoke.

#2643 4 years ago

The one thing I don't get about these cabs, because a lot of the other decisions I understand for cost and size reasons, is why the risers weren't designed to lock in *inside* the cab bottom, instead of looking goofy on the outside like that. It's just a really dumb look, and these would be pretty sweet little cabaret style games with just a seam where the bottom stand attached if they'd done it that way.

Probably not that hard to solve yourself, have to look at the underside of the games, but a pain, and you gotta handle your own art etc. Should have just done it right in the first place.

#2645 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I doubt that is the production yoke. They had previously displayed it with an arcade yoke.

It's not an arcade yoke. The handles and the cover are plastic (but pretty heavy stuff) and the artwork is Glossy, not satiny like the arcade Lexan overlays.

#2646 4 years ago

That is not the final production yoke, it's a remake alan-1 yoke. The production models will be all plastic.

#2647 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

It seemed a little stiff but played just fine. It's sturdy (even for plastic) and turns smoothly. The only minor issue I had was the handles are smooth compared to the original ones and take a little time to get used to.

#2648 4 years ago

Then there was this at a 7 Eleven just down the street:
IMG_1472 (resized).jpgIMG_1472 (resized).jpg

#2649 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The one thing I don't get about these cabs, because a lot of the other decisions I understand for cost and size reasons, is why the risers weren't designed to lock in *inside* the cab bottom, instead of looking goofy on the outside like that. It's just a really dumb look, and these would be pretty sweet little cabaret style games with just a seam where the bottom stand attached if they'd done it that way.
Probably not that hard to solve yourself, have to look at the underside of the games, but a pain, and you gotta handle your own art etc. Should have just done it right in the first place.

I think they were an afterthought :/ They do give screws to screw them together but I agree they should lock without having to drill/screw them

#2650 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well I have mine on the riser, it's not screwed in or locked in, and it's perfectly stable. Even when the kids pull on it.

Personally I wouldn't want it to lock in. It's nice to just be able to grab it and move it around. It comes right off the riser and it's easy to move around whenever necessary.

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/53?hl=cocomonkeh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.