• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg
There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 63.
#2501 4 years ago

I had an idea as I was driving into work. Is there any reason virtual pinball wouldn't work through retropie. I picked up an Asteroids last night and I plan to replace the controller panel with a two-player panel of 6 buttons each. But couldn't you just as easily put some virtual pinball on the sd card and treat it like the upright VP Cabs?

#2502 4 years ago

I am not aware of visual pinball on reteopie. Having said that their are some fun video pinball games to be played. Sonic spin ball, pro pinball on psx is probably most realistic for a pi.

#2503 4 years ago

There is an officially licensed version of one of the best Williams games that I know 100% will work on a retropie... PINBOT! (cough couch, for the NES).

#2504 4 years ago

Couldn't you find a way to put Zen Studios and stuff like that onto a RetroPie? Like I said, this was just an idea on the drive into work. I'll definitely have to do more research. But I feel like it may be possible.

#2505 4 years ago

I THINK RetroPie has a place designated to put Virtual Pin's into, but I've never seen it work. And with Zen, seems like their software is too integrated into the devices. Like built specifically for iOS, Android, Steam, etc. Don't think there'd really be any way to port those over.

#2506 4 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Amen brother. I hear that.
I've checked about a dozen walmarts around me and they've only got the 1st run games for$399.

Check Kijiji, used but much cheaper

#2507 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Hmm. Very tempting to get an Asteroids for $75, buy the 12 in 1 board and deck from Arcade1up. Cheaper than buying the actual 12 in 1. Would be cool to have a dedicated trackball and spinner.

I didn't realize they were selling parts separately. I just checked, though, and the 12 in 1 control decks page doesn't seem to provide a link to purchase. Maybe they're out of stock.

Assuming monitor rotation was the same as your starting cab, I'd imagine converting to another game simply involves getting the respective PCB and control deck. I would also bet it's not too difficult to rotate the monitor if needed.

Not sure what the 12 in 1 control deck costs, but I priced out pcb, control deck and deck protector for centipede and came to about $70 total in the cart.

Given that I have the space, it would be more cost effective if I can get a $75 Centipede cab.

#2508 4 years ago

My wife is awesome! I was planning to stop by Walmart tomorrow to see if they still had the $75 Asteroids around but was afraid that might be too late. She was in the area today and stopped in for me. She got the last one! The only problem is that she feels guilty because someone just called to see if it was in stock before she picked it up. So, unfortunately (for that person), she beat that person to it.

#2509 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I didn't realize they were selling parts separately. I just checked, though, and the 12 in 1 control decks page doesn't seem to provide a link to purchase. Maybe they're out of stock.
Assuming monitor rotation was the same as your starting cab, I'd imagine converting to another game simply involves getting the respective PCB and control deck. I would also bet it's not too difficult to rotate the monitor if needed.
Not sure what the 12 in 1 control deck costs, but I priced out pcb, control deck and deck protector for centipede and came to about $70 total in the cart.
Given that I have the space, it would be more cost effective if I can get a $75 Centipede cab.

Space. Yeah. I have perfect space for 2 machines. 3 machines, I need about 3 more inches to get them to fit beside each other. I haven't seen a 12-in-1 cabinet in person yet, so would be a safe gamble doing it this route.

But I think Centipede is a vertical screen cabinet, and the Astroid (standalone) and the 12 in 1 are horizontal screens. So Asteroid would be the safer bet if going this route.

#2510 4 years ago

Did anyone order/receive the arcade1up "upgraded" spinner yet?

#2511 4 years ago

I've now assembled the Asteroids cabinet and tried the spinner for myself. It is truly awful. I guess I'll look for a third party one. It seems people are happy with the Turbo Twist . . . .

#2512 4 years ago

My ten year old daughter just put together the $75 Asteroids, the spinner is worse than I thought, lol. But, I like Asteroids and lunar lander, so it's all good. I'm glad I waited on this to drop.
This makes 6 arcade 1ups for our house, we enjoy them for what they are.

#2513 4 years ago

Screw Brickseek and screw Walmart!

I went to 2 different Walmart hell holes that Brickseek showed should have stock of more than one unit of both Centipede and Asteroids at $75, and neither had either one. At the one, a guy in the department said they had not had Centipede for a long time.

#2514 4 years ago

I went to 2 different Walmart hell holes that Brickseek showed should have stock of more than one unit of both Centipede and Asteroids at $75, and neither had either one. At the one, a guy in the department said they had not had Centipede for a long time.

The odds of them lying to you are WAY higher than the odds of Brickseek being wrong. It's possible, but I've heard a ton of horror stories with WalMart's crappy employees lately. Both my buddy and I had separate headaches getting our machines, including being blatantly lied to. I'm pretty much done with them other than for crazy clearance deals like this.

#2515 4 years ago

I would ask to speak to a manager and show them the proof on your phone. My local wal-mart had them, but they were way high up in the rafters in the stock room out back, and the employee sounded less than pleased that I wanted him to retrieve one, as he said he had to get some department guy to get it down, blah blah, but retrieve one he did. They often times don't have a clue what they're talking about in Wal-Mart, the less work they do the better, it's a total shit show.

#2516 4 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I would ask to speak to a manager and show them the proof on your phone.

It's not worth the effort, even at $75. I do not plan to step foot back in Walmart for these games at any price going forward. I shouldn't have to work to give them my money.

#2517 4 years ago

Custom 18000 in 1 in Asteroids cabinet was ready today. So many games. Leaving the Simpsons set up for kids surprise to find in morning.

20190524_210821 (resized).jpg20190524_210821 (resized).jpg
#2518 4 years ago

That looks real nice for the $600. I would consider the $$$ if someone local was doing that too and it was all set up from the start.

#2519 4 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

Hmm. Very tempting to get an Asteroids for $75, buy the 12 in 1 board and deck from Arcade1up. Cheaper than buying the actual 12 in 1. Would be cool to have a dedicated trackball and spinner.

I have a non-working 12-in-1 board. It's now a spare since they sent me a replacement that booted up fine. Not sure what was wrong with the original board, it never booted for me.

I also have a 12-in-1 complete unit I'd trade for a Mortal Kombat.

#2520 4 years ago

Brickseek is not super accurate... so don't take it as gospel... especially with smaller items. But big pieces like these are usually pretty good.. unless they've simply lost track of them in the store, or the staff are hoarding.

#2521 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Did anyone order/receive the arcade1up "upgraded" spinner yet?

Has Arcade1up made their own? I thought the only ones were the guy selling on Amazon and the Turbo Twist 2 which I have.

#2522 4 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Has Arcade1up made their own? I thought the only ones were the guy selling on Amazon and the Turbo Twist 2 which I have.

Arcade1up is selling some parts on their site and it looks like they have an upgraded replacement spinner. Interested in hearing how it works.

#2523 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Custom 18000 in 1 in Asteroids cabinet was ready today. So many games. Leaving the Simpsons set up for kids surprise to find in morning.[quoted image]

What was your cost to complete the upgrades? Nice looking with the joystick and lighted buttons

#2524 4 years ago

Custom 18000 in 1 in Asteroids cabinet was ready today. So many games. Leaving the Simpsons set up for kids surprise to find in morning.[quoted image]

Mind sharing details on what you used? I got an asteroids with plans for doing that as well.

#2525 4 years ago

Just modded my spinner using the technique with 40 pennies and lock washers. It is definitely better and more playable. I still may want to get a third party spinner at some point, but this was a good 60 cent fix for now.

#2526 4 years ago

I think I'm in at $75 for an Asteroids cab. So what all do I need for maximum enjoyment? I already have a Raspberry Pi and 40 pennies.

#2527 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I think I'm in at $75 for an Asteroids cab. So what all do I need for maximum enjoyment? I already have a Raspberry Pi and 40 pennies.

You'll need at least a compatible LCD controller board that has HDMI, and a usb control encoder for controls. That assumes you're on stock buttons. People often install extra buttons for credits, and go ahead and replace all buttons. An upgrade can also involve a cheap audio amp and dual speakers for stereo.

I'm not sure what's involved with adapting the stock spinner to usb/or other protocol compatible with RPi.

#2528 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Just modded my spinner using the technique with 40 pennies and lock washers. It is definitely better and more playable. I still may want to get a third party spinner at some point, but this was a good 60 cent fix for now.

While the modded spinner is better, it is still not great. Feels a little stiff to me. I think I will look for another option one of these days.

#2529 4 years ago
Quoted from dtown:

Looks like they pulled some of it off their page

https://arcade1up.com/collections/spinners

#2530 4 years ago

I've had a few questions about my arcade 1up PM'd. I do not make these and used a guy advertising on facebook (PM me for details). All in said in done it ended up being $730. I realize I could do it myself for much less, or get a full size cabinet for close to that, but the space between the wall and the door you see in the picture is all of my allotted space, and I would have put 10-20 hours into doing this myself easy. It's plug and play and I'm more than happy with the results. I plan on getting an Asteroids kick plate to cover the front.

I have a walkthrough of the machine, including views of the inside of the machine, a demonstration of the different games working (and not), and some analysis on kids being able to use this menu system.

arc (resized).jpgarc (resized).jpg

#2531 4 years ago

Is it using all the buttons? It looks like you have a couple extra in the front that some conversions don't have. How are the buttons mapped out?

#2532 4 years ago

I've had a few questions about my arcade 1up PM'd. I do not make these and used a guy advertising on facebook (PM me for details). All in said in done it ended up being $730. I realize I could do it myself for much less, or get a full size cabinet for close to that, but the space between the wall and the door you see in the picture is all of my allotted space, and I would have put 10-20 hours into doing this myself easy. It's plug and play and I'm more than happy with the results. I plan on getting an Asteroids kick plate to cover the front.
I have a walkthrough of the machine, including views of the inside of the machine, a demonstration of the different games working (and not), and some analysis on kids being able to use this menu system.

[quoted image]

Thanks for the post. I'll have to watch the video too!

I sat with this in my cart last night for 40 minutes, and spent the day reading about it too, and the size is a major issue for me. To have that next to fully functional pinball machines, wouldn't feel good for me.

I'm glad you posted this, to help people decide one way or the other.

#2533 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Is it using all the buttons? It looks like you have a couple extra in the front that some conversions don't have. How are the buttons mapped out?

Ive seen a few people do that and always wondered what they were for. One is obviously the "Start" player button, and one the "Select" coin button. But what does the 1 extra one do? Safe shutdown?

#2534 4 years ago

Rpi is too slow a processor to have future proofing, guys, I know this is an arcade 1up thread, but those of you on the fence... just spend more money on a full size multi with a good pc and don’t stress over this cheap thin cabinet. I have 2 Arcade1up and they haven’t been turned on in months, our full sized sf2 cabinet gets played every week. And we can add some modern games to it : for instance: Street fighter 4 arcade edition, mr driller, and a ton of fun stuff on steam. With almost every front end software, you can insert any game into the menu lineup.

#2535 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

The middle buttons on the front are credit switches. You hold the outside button on the left and press start to exit a game. I'm not sure how they are mapped for the non-arcade games.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Rpi is too slow a processor to have future proofing, guys, I know this is an arcade 1up thread, but those of you on the fence... just spend more money on a full size multi with a good pc and don’t stress over this cheap thin cabinet. I have 2 Arcade1up and they haven’t been turned on in months, our full sized sf2 cabinet gets played every week. And we can add some modern games to it : for instance: Street fighter 4 arcade edition, mr driller

I 100% agree that this is not as good as a full mame system. It is literally running on a $35 computer. However, it's perfect for running 2d games from the past and is an awesome setup if you just want to play beat em up and bullet hell games with your kids. I personally am limited on space and would have to choose between a third pin, a full size mame setup, or a new wife. I may decide to upgrade to a full arcade setup later on, but I'm limited to about 24" in width, and it really is a good size if you have little kids. I can always upgrade to a full cabinet later on.

20190525_152410 (resized).jpg20190525_152410 (resized).jpg20190526_090548 (resized).jpg20190526_090548 (resized).jpg20190526_090657 (resized).jpg20190526_090657 (resized).jpg
#2536 4 years ago

The middle buttons on the front are credit switches. You hold the outside button on the left and press start to exit a game. I'm not sure how they are mapped for the non-arcade games.

I 100% agree that this is not as good as a full mame system. It is literally running on a $35 computer. However, it's perfect for running 2d games from the past and is an awesome setup if you just want to play beat em up and bullet hell games with your kids. I personally am limited on space and would have to choose between a third pin, a full size mame setup, or a new wife. I may decide to upgrade to a full arcade setup later on, but I'm limited to about 24" in width, and it really is a good size if you have little kids. I can always upgrade to a full cabinet later on.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Or......remove exercise equipment, and run in place while playing on a larger cabinet!

I think the key is most for small children.

I had the riser in my cart also, and even the immediate $115 plus tax seems better suited for larger visions. I figured at least $60 for a new control panel, then sticks, then rpi, and that's already near $300. If this wss the Street Fighter version at $75, I'd leap sooner....

#2537 4 years ago

For anyone in the atlanta metro area... the Walmart in Oakwood has at least 2 of the centipede and asteroids cabinets for $75. The Walmart in dahlonega has a huge stack of the risers for $11/each

#2538 4 years ago

I just decided to give this a try, it’s my first arcade 1up. I had a full MK4 cabinet but sold it after I got the pinball sickness. Hopefully this will scratch the itch for my lost MK.

3D4D51E7-19DC-4F58-915F-4166CCD491D9 (resized).jpeg3D4D51E7-19DC-4F58-915F-4166CCD491D9 (resized).jpeg
#2539 4 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

For anyone in the atlanta metro area... the Walmart in Oakwood has at least 2 of the centipede and asteroids cabinets for $75. The Walmart in dahlonega has a huge stack of the risers for $11/each

I was just in Atlanta last week. My local store cleared out the risers a long time ago. Darn!

#2540 4 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

I just decided to give this a try, it’s my first arcade 1up. I had a full MK4 cabinet but sold it after I got the pinball sickness. Hopefully this will scratch the itch for my lost MK.[quoted image]

That’s cool, it looks fun

#2541 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Rpi is too slow a processor to have future proofing, guys, I know this is an arcade 1up thread, but those of you on the fence... just spend more money on a full size multi with a good pc and don’t stress over this cheap thin cabinet. I have 2 Arcade1up and they haven’t been turned on in months, our full sized sf2 cabinet gets played every week. And we can add some modern games to it : for instance: Street fighter 4 arcade edition, mr driller, and a ton of fun stuff on steam. With almost every front end software, you can insert any game into the menu lineup.

The problem is using Pi and expecting it to run the games that require something with some decent specs. You could fit an actual computer in the Arcade1up cabinet and do all of the full featured MAME stuff that way.

#2542 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

The problem is using Pi and expecting it to run the games that require something with some decent specs. You could fit an actual computer in the Arcade1up cabinet and do all of the full featured MAME stuff that way.

If the Pi can run the stuff from the 80's I'll be happy. I've got a Pi sitting on my desk doing nothing though. Fry's has/had an i3 NUC for a little over $100 recently. I'd probably go that route if I had to buy something.

#2543 4 years ago

If your thinking of setting up a Pi mame system I highly recommend checking out the Pandora’s Box 5. It’s plug and play into standard JAMMA harness. I setup a Pi cab and it was a huge PITA to configure. Pandora’s box was plug and play and works like a champ. You’re locked into the games it comes with, but if nothing major is missing, it’s a great way to go.

Cab kit: https://www.harumancustoms.com/

Pandora’s Box: https://www.amazon.com/Wisamic-Pandoras-1280x720-Upgraded-Included/dp/B07899CVMS/ref=pd_sbs_21_3/133-9464674-7719924

Don’t know what it would take to build it into an arcade 1up cab, I built mine into a kit I bought, using art I designed based on Neo Geo cabs.
3E8B344F-6B5C-4AA4-8CF4-3812F21D8B62 (resized).jpeg3E8B344F-6B5C-4AA4-8CF4-3812F21D8B62 (resized).jpeg

#2544 4 years ago

The thing about the Arcade1up machines is that you can get the whole thing for less than just an empty plain wood cabinet kit. Even if you just use the Arcade1up cabinet and screen you're ahead. Just need a $30 board for the display and then you can use it with hdmi for the Raspberypi or vga for that Pandora box.

There are a lot of custom graphics options now too.

1 week later
#2545 4 years ago

Just installed the third party spinner from Glen (?) on Amazon. It is definitely an improvement. I don't feel like I'm fighting the spinner to get it to move. However, I almost feel it is too sensitive. Perhaps I'm just used to the horrible Arcade1Up stock spinner. I found the best setting for me was to have switch 3 on the dipswitch on with switches 1 and 2 off.

#2546 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Just installed the third party spinner from Glen (?) on Amazon. It is definitely an improvement. I don't feel like I'm fighting the spinner to get it to move. However, I almost feel it is too sensitive. Perhaps I'm just used to the horrible Arcade1Up stock spinner. I found the best setting for me was to have switch 3 on the dipswitch on with switches 1 and 2 off.

Thanks. Just installed mine as well and it’s crazy sensitive. I’ll try that.

#2547 4 years ago

I’m getting a bit more used to it. I have the feel for Major Havoc down. I still don’t feel like I have quite the level of control that I should for Tempest. But it has been ages since I’ve played a real Tempest game in an Arcade, so perhaps it is just an extremely difficult game. Curious as to what others think.

#2548 4 years ago

I installed mine this week as well. I just used the default settings, all 3 switches off. And it feels great! Have you tried this?

Although, I will freely acknowledge that I am not an expert on how sensitive the original tempest spinner is.

#2549 4 years ago
Quoted from Fizz:

I installed mine this week as well. I just used the default settings, all 3 switches off. And it feels great! Have you tried this?
Although, I will freely acknowledge that I am not an expert on how sensitive the original tempest spinner is.

I tried the default position first. I then increased the something or other by flipping switch 1. That was no good. I put it back to off and flipped switch 3 which seemed the best setting. But, again, I don’t remember how the original Tempest felt. I may just need to get used to it. I do agree that it feels a lot better than the stock one that came with the game.

#2550 4 years ago

Just out of curiosity, I fired up a game and on the first level, I turn the spinner about 1.5 revolutions to produce about 1 revolution on the screen. Is yours in this same range?

To me, it feels good, but I have no idea if it’s accurate to the original.

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/51?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.