10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 2,632 posts
  • 272 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 hours ago by woody24
  • Topic is favorited by 88 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 459 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

b1 (resized).jpg
Lock on (resized).jpg
Turbo Sub (resized).jpg
20190613_140236 (resized).jpg
20190421_125912 (resized).jpg
starwars1-1560367126472 (resized).jpg
1up star wars (resized).jpeg
pacmancab (resized).jpg
streetfightercabinet (resized).jpg
Costco 1Up (resized).jpg
Asteroids Deluxe 1Up Arcade (resized).jpg
TMNT_03_R2-6.7.19 (resized).jpg
3E8B344F-6B5C-4AA4-8CF4-3812F21D8B62 (resized).jpeg
3D4D51E7-19DC-4F58-915F-4166CCD491D9 (resized).jpeg
20190526_090657 (resized).jpg
20190525_152410 (resized).jpg

There are 2632 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 53.
#2451 41 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

How many of you are doing the RetroPie conversion of the street fighter cabinet? It definitely seems like a great option since that cabinet with screen can be had for what some arcade places want for just a counter top cabinet kit without any graphics. the upgraded jnoystick and button kits with USB boards are pretty reasonable too.
I recently picked one up and installed the new driver for the LCD. Tested it on VGA with a Jamma module but think the RetroPie will end up being a better option. Are there any standards on connecting the buttons to the USB board? I've seen some Youtube videos but it appears that they just made sure player one and two were connected the same but the order seemed different on different video's

I did it. A bit of trial and error(s) along the way but there are some here that really helped me. Works great though and now I’m helping a buddy do the same. I’ll just order the same stuff.

#2452 40 days ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Are there any standards on connecting the buttons to the USB board? I've seen some Youtube videos but it appears that they just made sure player one and two were connected the same but the order seemed different on different video's

There aren't standards. You just do p1 and p2 the exact same, and then you go through the steps for both controllers to map the inputs as part of the emulation station controller config (i.e. press p1 start, press p1 button A, etc). You can remap controls if you don't get it right. I haven't messed much with the options on the different emulators, but for me the MAME and Final Burn Alpha emulators don't map up the same way. There's supposed to be a way to align them, but I haven't messed with it.

#2453 40 days ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

There aren't standards. You just do p1 and p2 the exact same, and then you go through the steps for both controllers to map the inputs as part of the emulation station controller config (i.e. press p1 start, press p1 button A, etc). You can remap controls if you don't get it right. I haven't messed much with the options on the different emulators, but for me the MAME and Final Burn Alpha emulators don't map up the same way. There's supposed to be a way to align them, but I haven't messed with it.

Thanks for the clarification! My bad for thinking that there was some sort of standard. Sounds pretty easy and will just give it a go. Will make sure both players are wired the same.

#2454 40 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

The four holes in the middle are empty, if that is what you mean. But, yeah, I think I should try reflowing the solder everywhere just to make sure. If that doesn’t work, I’ll probably just have to throw it away.

From the pic none of the solder joints for the 4 wires looks awe-inspiring to me. Especially Tx and Rx. And those presumably are for transmit and receive so if either of those is bad it might make the whole thing dead.

#2455 40 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

From the pic none of the solder joints for the 4 wires looks awe-inspiring to me. Especially Tx and Rx. And those presumably are for transmit and receive so if either of those is bad it might make the whole thing dead.

Good eye. Yeah, you may be right. Alright, there's my rainy day project for the moment. Thanks.

#2456 36 days ago

Saw this today....

First time seeing one not on a step etc, so I could see the true height and could see inside from the back. Not my thing, but if it hits $50, I may bite..

20190510_113832.jpg
#2457 36 days ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

I could see the true height and could see inside from the back.

I think with the riser it’s the perfect height for me whether sitting on a stool or standing. I’m 5’10” so perhaps it might be too short for tall people.

#2458 36 days ago

Saw this today....
First time seeing one not on a step etc, so I could see the true height and could see inside from the back. Not my thing, but if it hits $50, I may bite..
[quoted image]

I just picked up one of these with the riser that was lightly used. It is actually at almost the perfect height with the riser. Also easy to move around. Just ordered the upgrades spinner with it. Not bad little machines. I'm going to keep this one as it is.

#2459 36 days ago

Update: Rebuilt trackball, installed new overlay, new ball, new t-molding, added light to front bezel...

Time to play some Centipede!

20190510_194752 (resized).jpg
#2460 35 days ago

That Centipede cabaret looks really nice!

#2461 33 days ago

Just got my Golden Tee cab. I put it together... Well... Everything but the riser... I have 3 cabs... But, only put one of my three risers together... I hope to complete them all this weekend. Just busy... And I wanted to play a quick round... And I did... And boy do I stink!!!!!!
One thing... I got decent at putting... But, need a lot of work on everything else... Fun game... I think will be more fun at a party.

#2462 33 days ago

I miss Vid and the single mom posts! He would have a field day w/ these new cabs!

#2463 28 days ago

There is a guy near my house that sells these with a retropi conversion built in. 9000 games on a 128 GB SD card w/retropi installed in the Streetfighter 2 cabinet for $600 of 18000 games for $650. I understand I could save $150 if I did it myself but am strongly leaning towards a completed solution. I have a 5 and 7 year old and the scale is right for them, but would probably play it myself with a riser. Those of you who have gone the retropi route does this seem like a good deal? Are there any serious drawbacks to this route.

#2464 27 days ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

Are there any serious drawbacks to this route.

Just one. Too many games. You'll eventually spend more time looking for a game to play, then playing a game. Narrow the list to your favorite 500 arcade games that work well with 6 buttons. I bet it will come loaded with a dozen versions of golden tee that are useless. Even with the fighting games, you'll get 10 different international versions of street fighter alpha 3, or king of fighters. You only need one version of each game.

Better yet get a couple different arcade 1up cabinets divided in to control panel styles. Have 50-100 games on each

#2465 27 days ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Just one. Too many games. You'll eventually spend more time looking for a game to play, then playing a game. Narrow the list to your favorite 500 arcade games that work well with 6 buttons. I bet it will come loaded with a dozen versions of golden tee that are useless. Even with the fighting games, you'll get 10 different international versions of street fighter alpha 3, or king of fighters. You only need one version of each game.
Better yet get a couple different arcade 1up cabinets divided in to control panel styles. Have 50-100 games on each

Depends on the image used to load the Pi - there are lots of curated Pi images which take out the dupes and the guesswork

#2466 27 days ago

9000 games on a 128 GB SD is not a curated list

#2467 27 days ago

I gave in and ordered a retropie conversion local, should be ready later this week. $660 in an Asteroids Cabinet with a riser and the Street Fighter control layout. 18,000 games. I plan on making a copy of the image on a hard drive for future use and then pairing things down. I realize the guy is probably making a good $300 off me, but the guy does good work and I'd probably spend 10 hours by the time I figured everything out. Should pick it up later this week. I could convert over to a tank stick and full sized cabinet down the line if I really put a lot of time on it.

#2468 27 days ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

9000 games on a 128 GB SD is not a curated list

Aah, yes, concur.

#2469 27 days ago

I gave in and ordered a retropie conversion local, should be ready later this week. $660 in an Asteroids Cabinet with a riser and the Street Fighter control layout. 18,000 games. I plan on making a copy of the image on a hard drive for future use and then pairing things down. I realize the guy is probably making a good $300 off me, but the guy does good work and I'd probably spend 10 hours by the time I figured everything out. Should pick it up later this week. I could convert over to a tank stick and full sized cabinet down the line if I really put a lot of time on it.

For what it's worth... I have a Pi with about 600 games on it. No duplicates, EVERY single game I could think of is on it, and hundreds of others I've never played. The games are automatically configured with appropriate button layouts (so I don't have to map them the first time I start a game), and they are rendered with CRT scanlines to make them look appropriate as per their age and original design expectations. The interface plays a screensaver of many of the games on the system, with their names at bottom so you can quickly go try a game you may not have known before.

It STILL takes me 10 minutes sometimes to find a game. Make sure you go through and mark games as "favorites" when you play them,so you don't have to cycle through page after page of names. Waiting to play a game for 3 minutes because the SCROLLING takes too long is very frustrating.

#2470 27 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

For what it's worth... I have a Pi with about 600 games on it. No duplicates, EVERY single game I could think of is on it, and hundreds of others I've never played. The games are automatically configured with appropriate button layouts (so I don't have to map them the first time I start a game), and they are rendered with CRT scanlines to make them look appropriate as per their age and original design expectations. The interface plays a screensaver of many of the games on the system, with their names at bottom so you can quickly go try a game you may not have known before.
It STILL takes me 10 minutes sometimes to find a game. Make sure you go through and mark games as "favorites" when you play them,so you don't have to cycle through page after page of names. Waiting to play a game for 3 minutes because the SCROLLING takes too long is very frustrating.

Yeah, I've created a couple custom collections. It'll probably have a few pre-built, or at least one you can turn on, but you'll still benefit by creating your own. It's still nice to have all teh games, so that you can go play a new one you've never heard of. But for the most part, it will be tedious to navigate through them all every time.

Also, don't expect every game to work. Depending on what package they started with, many games aren't even tested. And sometimes they will work, you just need to switch the emulator used.

#2471 26 days ago

I've built some nice MAME cabs in my day, done all the front end stuff, etc. Then I kinda got over emulation and went down the real hardware rabbit hole. I don't recommend it, heh.

But, that said, my honest advice is this: pick as few games as you possibly can if you really want to enjoy them. And I mean few, like start with 10. I promise you that if you have a cab with 10 hand-picked games that you love you'll play them more and get more enjoyment out of the whole thing than you will with a list of 1000.

Don't worry about "maybe I'll want to play this some day" stuff, just pick 10 games you know you want to play. And if you ever reach a point where you've truly gotten tired of all 10, and mastered them, and are bored? Pick 10 more. But keep it small, when there's a list to scroll through it's paralyzing. And you get into a short attention span mode, where you scroll, trying something, then get antsy and want to back out to scroll more.

#2472 26 days ago

FYI, Asteroids etc model is $75 most Walmarts now...along with Centipede.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=828150107

#2473 26 days ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've built some nice MAME cabs in my day, done all the front end stuff, etc. Then I kinda got over emulation and went down the real hardware rabbit hole. I don't recommend it, heh.
But, that said, my honest advice is this: pick as few games as you possibly can if you really want to enjoy them. And I mean few, like start with 10. I promise you that if you have a cab with 10 hand-picked games that you love you'll play them more and get more enjoyment out of the whole thing than you will with a list of 1000.
Don't worry about "maybe I'll want to play this some day" stuff, just pick 10 games you know you want to play. And if you ever reach a point where you've truly gotten tired of all 10, and mastered them, and are bored? Pick 10 more. But keep it small, when there's a list to scroll through it's paralyzing. And you get into a short attention span mode, where you scroll, trying something, then get antsy and want to back out to scroll more.

SOLID advice and goes for Virtual pinball as well. So many people put hundreds of games on those that you wind up scrolling forever to get to what you want to play.

On a separate note. Picked up a Final Fight cab over the weekend. Really enjoying it. I got it mainly for 1944 but the other 3 games are pretty fun too.

#2474 26 days ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Totally agree with this advice. A large part of this purchase is just getting access to the roms. I am planning on making a backup copy on my computer and then pairing it down to a few curated lists. One for me, and one for my (little) kids.

My current list is:
Mame:
Galaga
Dig Dug
Pac Man
Rampage
1941 (and clones)
Simpsons Beat em Up
XMen Beat em Up
Gauntlet
NBA Jam
Ghosts
Smast TV
Rampart
Raiden
Golden Ax
Tapper
Tetris
Klax
Donkey Kong
Frogger

NES:
Little League Baseball
Dr. Mario
Super Mario Brothers 3

Sega Genesis:
Sonic

SNES:
Mario Kart

N64:
Blitz
Guantlet
Mario

Atari:
Adventure

My parents ran an arcade when I was growing up and a lot of this is pure nostalgia for me.

There are a bunch of systems on there I'm new to and will be trying out a lot of new games. Never played a Sega Saturn for example

I generally have an hour of playtime in the morning and will be splitting that between pinball, trying out this list, and trying out a bunch of new games. I will mostly be sticking with the MAME games and console ports of later games, but I am really looking forward to this.

#2475 26 days ago

Saw this too. It's $150 at my local Wal-Mart. I don't mind paying the kid who is doing the work for me a little extra for doing a nice job. I actually went with the Asteroids cabinet for the beautiful side art... at least compared to Street Fighter 2.

I realize these are just toys compared to a real arcade cabinet, but they are at the right scale for my 2,5,and 7 year old. If it really gets used I may upgrade to a full size cabinet later on.

I may actually get a One up and leave it stock for GoldenTee once they go on sale.

It blows my mind that I can have a real arcade with all the games from my youth, along with a few pinball machines in my basement. I'm not religious, but I feel blessed to have something like this set up for me and my children to enjoy.

#2476 25 days ago
Quoted from 85vett:

On a separate note. Picked up a Final Fight cab over the weekend. Really enjoying it. I got it mainly for 1944 but the other 3 games are pretty fun too.

Looks like a Walmart exclusive. Is that true? Hard to jump on this for $300 when all the past ones are being discounted but like the games.

#2477 25 days ago

Thanks for the tip! $75

C205CFEA-DA50-4388-B7F0-609C6F44D1E0 (resized).jpeg
#2478 25 days ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Thanks for the tip! $75[quoted image]

No prob...was there today, couldn't pull the pin...(did think about it for a tad).If it was a Galaga for $75, I'd probably do it...

#2479 25 days ago

Not really impressed with the MK2. The layout is just too cramped. Would hit that un-do button if I could.

#2480 25 days ago

I'm not religious, but I feel blessed to have something like this set up for me and my children to enjoy.

Amen brother. I hear that.

I've checked about a dozen walmarts around me and they've only got the 1st run games for$399. No deals. No 2nd run games.

I want golden tee, mortal kombat and maybe final fight. Hopefully they come soon

#2481 25 days ago
Quoted from catboxer:

Not really impressed with the MK2. The layout is just too cramped. Would hit that un-do button if I could.

Cramped how? Like for 2 players you mean?

#2482 25 days ago

So, is the spinner on the Asteroids cabinet completely unplayable or is it just annoying for arcade game aficionados but perhaps ok for everyone else? I’m thinking about trying to grab one of those $75 Asteroid cabinets.

What is the consensus for a cheap but easy to install replacement if one is really needed?

#2483 25 days ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

So, is the spinner on the Asteroids cabinet completely unplayable or is it just annoying for arcade game aficionados but perhaps ok for everyone else? I’m thinking about trying to grab one of those $75 Asteroid cabinets.
What is the consensus for a cheap but easy to install replacement if one is really needed?

I never played the games on real hardware. I paid $150 for Asteroids and have been ok with it on the stock spinner, but I haven't put too much time in on the games to know if a better spinner would make things better. I'd totally go for it at $75. I may try to track down a $75 Centipede.

I originally bought the Asteroids cab thinking I'd mod it, but have left it stock so far.

#2484 25 days ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Cramped how? Like for 2 players you mean?

No, even one player seems like the buttons are a bit squished together in a bunch. It's not unplayable, but feels off. And I imagine yes, it would be really tight with 2 players. I guess I could have a custom control panel made to get a slightly larger layout and room for 2 players, but not sure I want to go through the effort.

#2485 25 days ago

When I click the link the only show them for 199.00

#2486 25 days ago

Upgraded Asteroids spinner is out of stock on amazon

Edit: Back in stock 5 June

#2487 25 days ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I never played the games on real hardware. I paid $150 for Asteroids and have been ok with it on the stock spinner, but I haven't put too much time in on the games to know if a better spinner would make things better. I'd totally go for it at $75. I may try to track down a $75 Centipede.
I originally bought the Asteroids cab thinking I'd mod it, but have left it stock so far.

Great. Thanks.

By the way, I have Centipede and think the stock track ball is just fine. I’m sure it is not as good as with a standard cabinet, but for the money, it gets the job done, and I have no complaints.

#2488 25 days ago
Quoted from catboxer:

No, even one player seems like the buttons are a bit squished together in a bunch. It's not unplayable, but feels off. And I imagine yes, it would be really tight with 2 players. I guess I could have a custom control panel made to get a slightly larger layout and room for 2 players, but not sure I want to go through the effort.

Ya, I could see this. I think on the street fighter cabinet the joystick is closer to the buttons making it feel tighter together, so I’d imagine that mortal Kombat will be the same.

#2489 25 days ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

When I click the link the only show them for 199.00

Try again (I used your location zip, all $75)

20190521_232807.jpg
#2490 25 days ago

I assume the spinner on the Asteroids game is for playing Tempest? You wouldn’t play Asteroids with a spinner I don’t think. That would not be right at all.

#2491 25 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

I assume the spinner on the Asteroids game is for playing Tempest? You wouldn’t play Asteroids with a spinner I don’t think. That would not be right at all.

That is correct. The spinner for Tempest, buttons for Asteroids, and trackball for Centipede. The spinner is functional, but just barely. I can’t seem to get past level 21 or so in Tempest with it. It lacks all nuance.

#2492 25 days ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

That is correct. The spinner for Tempest, buttons for Asteroids, and trackball for Centipede. The spinner is functional, but just barely. I can’t seem to get past level 21 or so in Tempest with it. It lacks all nuance.

Spinner is also used for Major Havok. I've read good reviews on the upgrades $50 metal spinner replacement.

There is also an $11 board to replace the one in the monitor to control the brightness. I bought one for the asteroids cabinet to help with the black background. These are on eBay.

#2493 24 days ago

Checked my first walmart on my lunch break, no dice.

#2494 24 days ago

Try again (I used your location zip, all $75)[quoted image]

Thanks......I never used that before was not aware I need to type in the sku number

#2495 24 days ago

I just setup my astroids...WOW the spinner is super garbage. I didn't think it was that bad at CES. Wonder if they used their new "upgraded" one at CES. I still find the final fight one, the best out of my three..very fun.

#2496 24 days ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Looks like a Walmart exclusive. Is that true? Hard to jump on this for $300 when all the past ones are being discounted but like the games.

Yes I believe it is. They had both Final Fight and MK there. Ironically enough they had them in the back and only the old games on the floor. I was going through them when an employee asked if they could help me find something. I told him I was looking for Final Fight as I saw they had 3 online. His answer - "Yes, we have those in the back. I'll get one if you want one."

Not sure why they are keeping them in the back but be sure to ask if you are looking for one. My family is really enjoying Final Fight. Feels like a good mix of games on the cab.

#2497 24 days ago
Quoted from mkecasey:

Checked my first walmart on my lunch break, no dice.

got 2 at lunch in cedar knolls .. there is stock within 20 miles of you ..check brickseek

#2498 24 days ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

got 2 at lunch in cedar knolls .. there is stock within 20 miles of you ..check brickseek

I checked Whitehall and Quakertown so far. No dice (even though brickseek was showing limited stock. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to get up to Cedar Knolls until this weekend.

#2499 24 days ago

Hmm. Very tempting to get an Asteroids for $75, buy the 12 in 1 board and deck from Arcade1up. Cheaper than buying the actual 12 in 1. Would be cool to have a dedicated trackball and spinner.

#2500 24 days ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Yes I believe it is. They had both Final Fight and MK there. Ironically enough they had them in the back and only the old games on the floor. I was going through them when an employee asked if they could help me find something. I told him I was looking for Final Fight as I saw they had 3 online. His answer - "Yes, we have those in the back. I'll get one if you want one."
Not sure why they are keeping them in the back but be sure to ask if you are looking for one. My family is really enjoying Final Fight. Feels like a good mix of games on the cab.

Weird. I thought my kids and their friends would like the Gauntlet one I bought a while back. Like my pins, they played a little and that's it. Oh well. I really want the Final Fight but no hurry to get one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 14.95
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 5,800.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 839.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
There are 2632 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 53.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside