• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg
There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 63.
#2351 5 years ago

Anyone have any obscure arcade titles that may not be mentioned in any "greatest" arcade lists?

Going through the list of arcade titles that came with my retropie build, I've found a few that I've completely forgotten about and hadn't played since the 80's. Brought back a lot of memories and smells of the local Aladdin's Castle.

One was a demolition derby game. Was a 2 player and 4 player. I remember playing the 4 player as it was set up like a cocktail table with steering wheels on each corner. Then there was a monster truck game where there were two big buttons where you'd rapidly tap them to accelerate the truck. Then another one that brought back memories of going to the arcade with my dad was a bull fighting game. Then a gun game where you have to help a person navigate through the woods or town or something like that.

Sorry, not the exact titles probably. Going off memory while here at work. Really cool to see these games again and their sounds still sound familiar.

Anyone else discover titles that they used to play in the arcade, and never seen again since?

#2352 5 years ago

This one is not 'obscure', but Wizard Of Wor. I remember being at a parade with the family and my brother and I walked to a party store to get a pop and snacks. There it was...and it was in color, and had speech! We played it a few times and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

#2353 5 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

This one is not 'obscure', but Wizard Of Wor. I remember being at a parade with the family and my brother and I walked to a party store to get a pop and snacks. There it was...and it was in color, and had speech! We played it a few times and I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I have Wizard Of Wor on my mame setup, we had one at the local Pizza Hut when I was a kid. Loved playing it.

#2354 5 years ago

This guy does a pretty good job showing some good games I would have never played.
Watch "A few of John's Favorite and Best MAME arcade games" on YouTube

#2355 5 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

Just played this one tonight at our local barcade. Before my time. Dont remember thos one at all.

#2356 5 years ago

I loved the 90’s game SAR search and rescue from SNK. The only problem is that it plays with a rotating joystick like Ikari warriors or heavy barrel. So it doesn’t play well on my MAME. If arcade1up released those 3 games in a cabinet, I’d buy day one.

#2357 5 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

This guy does a pretty good job showing some good games I would have never played.
Watch "A few of John's Favorite and Best MAME arcade games" on YouTube

"Hey guys, we are in the basement!"

#2358 5 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

"Hey guys, we are in the basement!"

giphy (1) (resized).pnggiphy (1) (resized).png
#2359 5 years ago

Anyone know when the 1944 cab is being released? I thought it was supposed to come out in March.

#2360 5 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Anyone know when the 1944 cab is being released? I thought it was supposed to come out in March.

That’s a hilarious joke on the Arcade1up fan Facebook page. No one knows but so many bitch about it.

#2361 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Definitely not an arcade1up, but these are pretty cool mini “real” cabinets. They run real boards and a crt tv in a custom cabinet.

That guy “get’s it”! I’m happy some people are doing it right to preserve the authentic arcade experiences. Excellent interview as well, and his clean shop was impressive.

#2362 5 years ago

If I understand it correctly, Pacman and Galaga were originally Walmart exclusives. It appears both are now listed at Best Buy with themed risers and a stupid high price of 380. So let's lift the exclusivity and make them more widely available, add very little cost by adding a riser, and increase the price! Brickseek thinks Galaga without riser is available widely in my local Walmarts for $300. Either is a cab I'd be interested in, but I swear I was seeing a couple stores have them at $200 (maybe even $150 at one location) on Brickseek towards the beginning of the year. Anyway, it appears they may be padding the stock of these 2 cabs, so there will likely be a time they come way down in price again. It's hard to imagine demand increased to justify new stock at the msrp when they've clearly been on sale for way less.

#2363 5 years ago

I'm thinking about getting a Golden Tee arcade1up. And if I like how that goes I might buy the 12 in 1 arcade one up as well, as I like the fact that it has the track ball and spinner dial. I do have a pub top raspberry pi machine I have been working on for ages.
That might or might not have a trackball on it. I have one... I just don't know if it will fit the template I already made as it was a last minute addition. I like retropie, but I'll be honest I think the arcade1up machine are easier to run for most users, don't take as long to make, and you don't have to worry about messing around with the input controls for retropie, or which version of the rom works in which version of mame.
So that would be why I would buy the 12 in one. As I really like those vector games on that list. Still spending 800-900 dollars on machines that I basically already have the software for is kind of a stretch.
Which is why I think I'll just get the Golden Tee cab first. And if that turns out good I'll get the 12 in 1 around Christmas.
I'm actually really looking forward to getting it. As I think it'll make a great addition to my game room, and also I think would be a nice change of pace for some of my friends and family when I host pinball night at my place. People can play a few rounds of pinball, a few rounds of golden tee. Could have multiple tournaments going at once.
Could even do a mini cash pot and split it between pinball and golden tee, or just make the wins in golden tee count as a win in pinball round.
Are they a bit overpriced... Yeah... But, I think they're still cool. And really they're as much room decoration as they are game system.

#2364 5 years ago

I'm happy enough with streetfighter that I no longer desire the full size cabinet. I'll be getting the ones that I like; mortal kombat and golden tee will be next.

I was thinking the same thing. Traditional arcade games are both heavy and take up a lot of space, and also are power hogs as they got crt's to run.
So an arcade1up. Really nice thing for a house or apartment. The only downside is one of my brother holds out a Eugene O'Niel sized pipe dream for me wanting to give him all my pins so he can open an arcade one day(I'd love to, but don't have even 1/3 of the startup costs).
And he is bummed that you can't use an arcade1up commercially. But, I told him... Yeah, but I can get almost 3 machines in the space of just one normal arcade cabinet.
One thing I hope they release. X-Men Vs. Streetfighter. That be really cool, not sure it will happen.

#2365 5 years ago

My track ball on Centipede just stopped working yesterday. All connections look good, but I didn’t remove the ball itself. Any ideas?

#2366 5 years ago

Probably a fluke component failure. I’d contact arcade1up for a replacement, then pull that ball out of the game and try to repair it.

#2367 5 years ago

Probably a fluke component failure. I’d contact arcade1up for a replacement, then pull that ball out of the game and try to repair it.

I took the ball out, and it all looks fine. Though if there was a tiny tiny wire or trace on the board that failed, I’m not sure I would see it. I’ll email them. Thanks.

#2368 5 years ago

I haven’t pulled apart an arcade1up track ball, but these usually work like an old ball mouse. The ball sits on two rollers. One for up/down. One left/right. Then they usually have a calibration disc with slots spaced around it. Then there’s an optical sensor that reads the disc as it moves back and forth.

My guess would be the optical sensor, if the doesn’t look like a loose connection or broken wire.

#2369 5 years ago

I haven’t pulled apart an arcade1up track ball, but these usually work like an old ball mouse. The ball sits on two rollers. One for up/down. One left/right. Then they usually have a calibration disc with slots spaced around it. Then there’s an optical sensor that reads the disc as it moves back and forth.
My guess would be the optical sensor, if the doesn’t look like a loose connection or broken wire.

Yep. That’s exactly what it looks like. But, I would think if it was one of the sensors, it would at least move the player in one direction. But it doesn’t move at all which makes me think it is a wire, but I may not know what I’m talking about.

#2370 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

$99 clearance next spring, like last time.

Our local Walmart has had the same stack of these for some time. Almost considered getting on for my son's room. Couldn't pull the trigger as it just looked cheap and I can get a 60-in-1 on CL for not much more or make my own MAME.

Price was of course $299 at Walmart and they didn't move during the holiday season. They dropped to $199, and I didn't see one sell. Walmart just jacked them back up to $299 (!!!) and guess what... still sitting. They need to clearance these things and put something there that will move product. They're taking up prime real estate at the intersection of a main entrance aisle and the back aisle, right in front of electronics. To make $0 over months off that spot is horrible utilization of that space.

#2371 5 years ago

Just got my protector for my 12n1. I got an email on 1/16/19 they got my request. Must have been a big line in front of me. I'm glad it finally came. I'll install later today. My B button is iffy at times so it will be a good time to check it out. I'm still interested in an upgraded spinner. Are they done w/a version for the 12n1?

#2372 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Just got my protector for my 12n1. I got an email on 1/16/19 they got my request. Must have been a big line in front of me. I'm glad it finally came. I'll install later today. My B button is iffy at times so it will be a good time to check it out. I'm still interested in an upgraded spinner. Are they done w/a version for the 12n1?

The daughter board is out of stock, but you can pre-order it...
The spinner is still out of stock... I'm waiting for it. Im checking every day. Because, once I get that spinner it'll really make the 12 in 1 pop. The 12 in 1 is really just a whole lot of fun.

The bummer is I got a dead pixel on my LCD. The replacement is coming, but man, its going to be a choir to replace it. Probably about 2 hours work.

And yeah. These buttons suck. I might replace all my buttons and also my Streetfighter joysticks and buttons as well. Not a big deal though... Shouldn't be too hard.
The cool thing is. Even though golden tee was pricey. At least its coming with the light up marquee and a true hap trackball.
Only a few more weeks till I get mine delivered...
Then I got to figure out which one I want next. I'm having a birthday party for myself in June. If the final fight is out by then, I'd like either the final fight or the rampage cab.

I do hope they do a robotron cab. Could do robotron, Smash TV... would love a berserk on there and frenzy... And something crazy like a qb3... Never heard of that till I just googled it...
But, I totally would love all those games I listed(QB3 notwithstanding). Odds are wouldn't be the same cab.

#2373 5 years ago

Where is final fight?!? That’s the cab for my daughters room

#2374 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

She must be thrilled.

#2375 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

She must be thrilled.

Not sure, she’s 1.5yrs old soooo it’s more for me. probably have to leave it in the guest room until she is older ish?

#2376 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have no insight into this. I did hear that it was being shipped about a week ago... Looks like those reports were BS. It looks like it's probably going to show up around the same time as the Star Wars Topper, or Ghostbusters updated code...

I kid and I tease.

When it does get released your daughter is going to be super lucky. I'm a big beat em fan, and final fight was a great beat em up. Would also love a Double dragon arcade 1up... TMNT will probably never happen... And an X-Men would be amazing. But, for both TMNT and X-men they should consider doing a wider bigger model. With a bigger screen and 4 sets of controls... Not going to happen, but one can dream.

And before anyone says Raspberry PI, or a emu machnine and buy one of the premade cabs... Yeah... I built my own bartop. I think these are kind of cooler and I like supporting the companies. Technically for emulation you can only emulate what you own. Which... I invoke my 5th amendment right. But, again I like supporting these companies. I heard Arcade1up will be releasing cocktail machines. If their model isn't too fragile. I might buy one, as I've always wanted one, but never wanted to plunk down the 800-1500 dollars for one. Their model might be a cheaper alternative.

#2377 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Now Arcade1up is saying May.

#2378 5 years ago

I know, I know. There's a lot of people saying to just mod a cabinet. I was going to avoid it, but then decided that the value to have the games I wanted in one machine was too great. I was waiting for Final Fight myself, and after modding, I played through the entire story, and now I don't need a Final Fight cabinet. Probably glad I didn't wait for it either, cause really, how many times do I need to play the first couple levels before getting tired?

Just too bad some of the console exclusive games weren't arcade games too. Like the other Final Fights, Streets of Rage, and TMNT games. Those games don't allow for unlimited continues, do they?

#2379 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

Got mine for my 12 in 1 yesterday too. Still havent pulled the trigger on modding anything. Its been sitting untouched in our living room for about 4 weeks now, much as I feared.

#2380 5 years ago

I haven’t found the golden tee cabinet anywhere in Canada yet, and GameStop USA wouldn’t ship to Canada. I’ll have to wait till May to see if Walmart Canada stocks them, and if not, I may have to find another more creative way to get one north of the border.

#2381 5 years ago

In the middle of modifying the SF2 cab.

Just did a full Rasperian install on my raspberry pi.

Now what do I do? I'm sitting here with it hooked up to TV, w/ keyboard and mouse.

Is there a Retropie front end? Roms?

IMG_3585 (resized).JPGIMG_3585 (resized).JPG
#2382 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

In the middle of modifying the SF2 cab.
Just did a full Rasperian install on my raspberry pi.
Now what do I do? I'm sitting here with it hooked up to TV, w/ keyboard and mouse.
Is there a Retropie front end? Roms?[quoted image]

Well, you don't need Rasperian to run Retropie. That's its own OS. Retropie is very easy to install. You just format the sd card. Then flash the retropie file onto it and you're done.
Then you just put the bios in the right folder and load up your roms. Rom loading can be done a few ways. One is via usb, the other method that I like best is to just transfer them over the wireless network onto your pie.

#2383 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Well, you don't need Rasperian to run Retropie. That's its own OS. Retropie is very easy to install. You just format the sd card. Then flash the retropie file onto it and you're done.
Then you just put the bios in the right folder and load up your roms. Rom loading can be done a few ways. One is via usb, the other method that I like best is to just transfer them over the wireless network onto your pie.

GREAT. Did this and I'm up and running.

Where's a good place for ROMs?

How do I install/enable the ColecoVision emulator (I'm on Mac).

#2384 5 years ago
Quoted from pinkid:

See my post 2345. I did the groovy gear gamer one and love it.

2B52B62A-CADE-44E1-BA10-9E5AFF67D16A (resized).jpeg2B52B62A-CADE-44E1-BA10-9E5AFF67D16A (resized).jpeg
#2385 5 years ago

GREAT. Did this and I'm up and running.
Where's a good place for ROMs?
How do I install/enable the ColecoVision emulator (I'm on Mac).

If colecoVision isn't automatically enabled or installed. You'd get there in the setup menu. And you'd want to select install optional packages. It be listed. It could also be listed in main packages. Sometimes not all the main packages are installed.
I would suggest you always do the install through the pie itself, and not get from source. That takes way too long.

However, it could be already installed and the reason why it won't show up is you don't have a game in the bin.

As you the best site for roms... Google is your friend. But, also be very careful out there. A lot have bad links and viruses. I just don't think its something pinside would be happy about if I said openly. So sorry.

#2386 5 years ago

Welp, this was a frustrating as hell shitballs of an experiment. Wish I never did it. Relying on YouTube is pointless. Can't find reliable ROMs. Limited documentation anywhere and despite having 40 ROMs on the system, nothing ever runs.

At this point I'd take more satisfaction in busting the system with a hammer.

Happy Easter!

#2387 5 years ago

Arcade punks for rom sets.

#2388 5 years ago

Welp, this was a frustrating as hell shitballs of an experiment. Wish I never did it. Relying on YouTube is pointless. Can't find reliable ROMs. Limited documentation anywhere and despite having 40 ROMs on the system, nothing ever runs.
Happy Easter!

I love retropie. But, it isn't for everyone...
You might want to look into a pandora's box. Those come preloaded with games. At least they should.
It also runs some of the games that a pi won't run as Pi's don't support the later 3d arcade games... At least I've never had much luck running those. And really, though you can run playstation games on pi, it overheats and freezes up a bit too much. I think Pi is great for atari 2600-snes. No atari 5200 though as I couldn't figure out how to get that one running... But, really the games are not that great for it anyway. 2600 and 7800 have better libraries.

Forgot to mention... For arcade games you might have to change the emulator to get them to work. Its a hassle. But, that is what you got to do. Some games are designed for specific versions of mame.

#2389 5 years ago

Happy Easter!

Buy a pre-loaded hard drive. Check Etsy or EBay. There are a metric shit-ton of options, all pretty much plug and play.

Also, we’ll be moving around the New Brunswick area this summer. I’ve done several raspberry pi rigs and will be building my third MAME machine this winter. Happy to get together over some beers to get you going.

#2390 5 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Buy a pre-loaded hard drive. Check Etsy or EBay. There are a metric shit-ton of options, all pretty much plug and play.
Also, we’ll be moving around the New Brunswick area this summer. I’ve done several raspberry pi rigs and will be building my third MAME machine this winter. Happy to get together over some beers to get you going.

You are? That’s my old stomping grounds. Definitely would like to grab a brew!

#2391 5 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Also, we’ll be moving around the New Brunswick area this summer.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

#2392 5 years ago
Quoted from Lithonion:

Now Arcade1up is saying May.

Ah that would be alright

#2393 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

We’re excited to get back to the northeast! Judging by the NE ‘for sale’ threads, it’s a pretty active community.

#2394 5 years ago

Happy Easter!

Finding the compatible ROMs to run on the Retropie emulator was not straightforward or intuitive. It was a giant headache. I suggest you keep asking around on the appropriate forums and see if someone is nice enough to load you up a thumb drive with everything and mail it to you, on the down-low, of course.

#2395 5 years ago

Happy Easter!

Well.. yep. MAMEing ain’t easy!

#2396 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

MAMEing ain’t easy!

...But it sure is fun...

#2397 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well.. yep. MAMEing ain’t easy!

I thought this thread was full of people saying how much better a MAME cabinet is then an arcade1up is. Maybe one of them will help all the guys stressed over finding the right software.

#2398 5 years ago

I thought this thread was full of people saying how much better a MAME cabinet is then an arcade1up is. Maybe one of them will help all the guys stressed over finding the right software.

Well... Arcade 1ups have a few things that are good, and a few things that are bad.
The good... Even if you can build your own cab... It'll cost roughly what an arcade 1up cab will cost... I'm still building mine... Its a sturdy and heavy machine. But, been working on it for 2 years... I suck at wood work... My friend and I are making it at his house. We got busy over the last few summers with work, and the winters were rough... But, I digress...

So the good is the arcade1up cabs are easy to assemble. Relatively cheap. And you're buying licensed games.
Also, the interface is very user friendly. Retropie and other emulation front ends are not as friendly... And definitely not as friendly to setup.

I like both. An as I said. The cool thing is you're buying a licensed system. And its supporting more cool things of its kind being made.

Side note. I took my pi over to my Mother's house on Easter. And we played X-men and The Simpsons in mame.
They love beat em ups. And they love Sunset Riders(technically not a beat em up its a run and gun... ) We had a great time.
Never really beat Simpsons before.
And every holiday they always ask. Did you bring the PIE... Did you bring the PIE.
And yes, of course I do. They enjoy playing it so much. And its the best money I've ever spent. And I love, LOVE. Researching old games to put on there.
I don't like doing pre-loaded file sets. I like to make sure that the games I put on. Look interesting to me. And I love discovering new games.
And while its rare that it happens. Some months I might not discover any new(to me) games, but then in one month I might discover 4 games.
And to me. The hunt and research and discovery. Is just as much fun as playing the games.

#2399 5 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Arcade punks for rom sets.

You can even download front end pre-loaded with everything you need.

#2400 5 years ago
Quoted from ACcookDC:

You can even download front end pre-loaded with everything you need.

Yeah... But, where is the fun in that...
I will say though... I messed up when I scraped a whole bunch of my roms. I forgot to do the save thing at the end. And all that work... Right down the tube...

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/48?hl=diospinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.