• 3,130 posts
  • 313 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by fxdwg
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6585496.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12-57-52 Amazon.com Arcade 1Up William Bally Attack From Mars Pinball - Electronic Games Sports & Outdo
F&F1 (resized).jpeg
simpsons1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0267 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20231124_150044.jpg
IMG_0969 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0971 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0790 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0774 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0965 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1137 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1214 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1552 (resized).jpeg
71242724819__B21E9205-4F6A-4D33-9A40-D6FEE92E83CC (resized).jpeg
image0 (9) (resized).jpeg
There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 63.
#2301 5 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

I just tried major havoc and didn't see any issues. I don't think groovy has settings that can be changed.

If you do the usb mod. You can change the spinner sensitivity and speed in the mame menu. To dial it in exactly how you want.
I did this to fix the trackball on my centipede.
Adjusted for the stock ball to work perfectly.
No stutter on crystal castles. Now centipedes speed and screen travel is also now as it should be.

#2302 5 years ago

I just installed my A1UP spinner from Glenns retro show , 50 bucks. Works awesome and has an aluminum low profile spinner knob, plays great. Easy installation, plug n play.

#2303 5 years ago
Quoted from modfather:

I just installed my A1UP spinner from Glenns retro show , 50 bucks. Works awesome and has an aluminum low profile spinner knob, plays great. Easy installation, plug n play.

Did you install it into the 12-in-1 or a Mame cabinet?

#2304 5 years ago

I have the 12-1 game - does anyone know, if I were to leave buttons/trackball/spinner all stock and just update with the raspberri pi, will it play the Golden Tee and bowling games ok?

#2305 5 years ago
Quoted from Stal8080:

Thanks any idea on how to do this?? I just finished 1st mock up of track ball add on mount so I can play GoldenTee 98-2K which are conveniently included on this image along with Capcom Bowling and some other trackball based games so I want to make collection just of them.

This page has some good info on collections. https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/EmulationStation

#2306 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I have the 12-1 game - does anyone know, if I were to leave buttons/trackball/spinner all stock and just update with the raspberri pi, will it play the Golden Tee and bowling games ok?

You won’t be able to interface the buttons to the Pi without a USB converter - about 10-15 bucks. But it should play ok

#2307 5 years ago

2 deck protectors were delivered to me today. They were ordered in January, I believe. They came without notice.

I had ordered 3: SF2, Asteroids, and Rampage (thinking I'd buy this one)

Unfortunately Asteroids is the one I needed, and the one I didn't get. I made my own for SF2 and just haven't been motivated to put the effort into Asteroids.

Edit: I actually did receive the Asteroids protector! It just got delivered a little later in the day. Guess USPS made a couple trips to my house today.

#2308 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You won’t be able to interface the buttons to the Pi without a USB converter - about 10-15 bucks. But it should play ok

Thank you!

#2309 5 years ago
Quoted from tadowhere:

Groovy Gamer Turbo Twist is installed. WOW what a difference I can play Tempest now! Only draw back is I have to get use to it actually spinning and not the garbage stock one which I kinda go use to Install was quick and easy, although you cannot put the black plastic underside cover back on w/out drilling a hole for the bottom of the turbo twist to stick through. Also, I didn't cut the stock spinner out I just re-mounted out of the way.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Just ordered one too. I also ordered the dimmer mod from eBay for my 12-1. I’ll post when I get them.

#2310 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

You will also need a usb spinner, and usb trackball. Along with a keyboard encoder.
And you may possibly have to set up the spinner and trackball in raspberry Pi config. Or manager to get them to work. As depending on how it was set in mame on the disk image. It may cause detection of the encoder to over ride the trackball and spinner.

And using an ultimate IPAC encoder requires new firmware to work on a pi.

But other than that it will work either right away. Or eventually with a bit of work.

#2311 5 years ago
Quoted from erak:

You will also need a usb spinner, and usb trackball. Along with a keyboard encoder.
And you may possibly have to set up the spinner and trackball in raspberry Pi config. Or manager to get them to work. As depending on how it was set in mame on the disk image. It may cause detection of the encoder to over ride the trackball and spinner.
And using an ultimate IPAC encoder requires new firmware to work on a pi.
But other than that it will work either right away. Or eventually with a bit of work.

He needs 2 (actually 3) of these. The spinner and trackball will plug into the joystick port.

IMO it’s simpler just to get the $40 all-in-one pack though

#2312 5 years ago

No key posts marked in this thread, unfortunately so I'll ask since things change.

I want to put a Raspberry Pi or Pandoras Box (I have one) in my SF2 Cab.

What's my Amazon shopping list? Looks like the links referenced by ETA Prime have changed.

Appreciate it.

#2313 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

No key posts marked in this thread, unfortunately so I'll ask since things change.
I want to put a Raspberry Pi or Pandoras Box (I have one) in my SF2 Cab.
What's my Amazon shopping list? Looks like the links referenced by ETA Prime have changed.
Appreciate it.

Go for the Pi. What changed in the links? I bought them directly about 10 days ago

#2314 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Go for the Pi. What changed in the links? I bought them directly about 10 days ago

They were linking to a "group of items" that were similar, but I couldn't tell if they were good replacements. Do you have a list? I'll buy the same stuff if you're happy w/it.

#2315 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

He needs 2 (actually 3) of these. The spinner and trackball will plug into the joystick port.
IMO it’s simpler just to get the $40 all-in-one pack though

ok....what's the $40 all in one pack.....

#2316 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Did you install it into the 12-in-1 or a Mame cabinet?

I bought 2 of them. One for my asteroids and one for my asteroids / centi combo 12 in 1. The 12 in 1 requires a seperate board where the spinner and the track ball plug into , then the main wire goes to the CPU. Waiting on the board to be made, couple of weeks.

#2317 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

ok....what's the $40 all in one pack.....

It’s in the video description. Buttons and joysticks, encoders, etc - that is $40, but you also need to buy the HDMI interface and (assuming you want sound) amplifier. It’s about $100 all in.

#2318 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s in the video description. Buttons and joysticks, encoders, etc - that is $40, but you also need to buy the HDMI interface and (assuming you want sound) amplifier. It’s about $100 all in.

Thats the kit I bought, joystick kinda suck. Sometime when going through the list of games they seem to get stuck and jump all over the place. Have not looked to see if I need to adjust them somehow.

#2319 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Oh ok - thank you!

#2320 5 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Sometime when going through the list of games they seem to get stuck and jump all over the place. Have not looked to see if I need to adjust them somehow.

I think this is a bug. Do you find it going down the list all by itself? It'll do that with all the different controllers I use. 8Bitdo, Xbox360, Arcade1Up joystick

#2321 5 years ago
Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Thats the kit I bought, joystick kinda suck. Sometime when going through the list of games they seem to get stuck and jump all over the place. Have not looked to see if I need to adjust them somehow.

Yep the joysticks do suck - he mentions this in the video. I am replacing with Sanwa

#2322 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

I think this is a bug. Do you find it going down the list all by itself? It'll do that with all the different controllers I use. 8Bitdo, Xbox360, Arcade1Up joystick

Yes, excalty. But I only have the arcade1up. I bet it is a bug. Always some sort of game.

#2323 5 years ago

Not a mod question, but a game play question:

How does the 1UP Centipede game play compare to an original carbaret Centipede? I have a line on a cabaret machine, but would it be worth paying nearly 3x as much? I will be buying one or the other to surprise my wife. Would only be casual game play for her and our friends. 1UP good enough or would the original be better?

Any incite would be appreciated. Thanks!

Added over 5 years ago:

That's insight... doh

#2324 5 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

How does the 1UP Centipede game play compare to an original carbaret Centipede? I have a line on a cabaret machine, but would it be worth paying nearly 3x as much? I will be buying one or the other to surprise my wife. Would only be casual game play for her and our friends. 1UP good enough or would the original be better?

i have centipede and enjoy playing it .. people (on pinside) have noticed sound lag ; which is probably present ; but i dont really notice it that much ...

The difficulty or speed seems to be increased from what i remember of the original . So its tough.

My trackball came broken , but Arcade 1up replaced it and added another extra in the box.

Cant beat the portability of a 1up . Easily fits almost anywhere.

I think as a present , the wow factor of a real game will go further and have more resale value , should you bail on it. But your wife will keep the money.

#2325 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

The difficulty or speed seems to be increased from what i remember of the original

Are there settings to make it easier/harder?

#2326 5 years ago

I still have my 4 machines in box. How are these all holding up so far? I'm still unsure on keeping these, but I like the idea of them at the cost. Debating on collecting these vs buying original cabs.

#2327 5 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

as far as i know , there is no user-friendly way to change any settings .. all of the games seem hard .. you will die and die often

#2328 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

I still have my 4 machines in box. How are these all holding up so far? I'm still unsure on keeping these, but I like the idea of them at the cost. Debating on collecting these vs buying original cabs.

I'm happy enough with streetfighter that I no longer desire the full size cabinet. I'll be getting the ones that I like; mortal kombat and golden tee will be next.

#2329 5 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

There are no menus. This is my only rea complaint with my 1up so far.

#2330 5 years ago

Finally got to play my friend's Tempest with the $50 spinner upgrade - WOW, what a difference. Game is so much better playing now and it works pretty well with Major Havoc too. I didn't test it in Asteroids as I have always hated that game anyway.

#2331 5 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

I’d go for the cabaret IF you are hardcore into Centipede exclusively. Otherwise, save yourself the $$

#2332 5 years ago

Gamestop has the Golden Tee and a few bartops (Dig Dug) for preorder. Golden Tee is $499 with a riser end lighted marquee. The bartops are $199. I saw them via their app.

#2333 5 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Are you a real collector if you’re collecting cheap remakes with boards that cannot be fixed, but have to be replaced when they stop working?

Originals can be repaired over and over...

Originals will hold their value and will go up in value over time.

Arcade1up is a cheap remake toy, not a commercial machine... they’re fun and compact though, but like a cheap ikea piece of furniture, when it goes bad, you don’t sell it, you toss it... it’s your call

Edit: not knocking on Arcade1up collectors , collect what you like, but in 10 years, the originals will still be coveted, but these will be a nostalgic toy that has started falling apart from poor material usage.

#2334 5 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

If you do the USB keyboard hack there is.
Straight out of the box, no.

#2335 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Arcade1up is a cheap remake toy, not a commercial machine... they’re fun and compact though, but like a cheap ikea piece of furniture, when it goes bad, you don’t sell it, you toss it... it’s your call
Edit: not knocking on Arcade1up collectors , collect what you like, but in 10 years, the originals will still be coveted, but these will be a nostalgic toy that has started falling apart from poor material usage.

I kind of agree. But I think in 25 to 30 years they may possibly be what people Remember playing at home. Or have fond childhood memories of. And there may be a niche collector market. Kinda like how some of us older kids remember the days of these. And had to start collecting them. And the coleco tabletops aren't exactly cheap anymore.

I'd take the arcade rom version in a 1/4 size cabinet for the price arcade 1ups sell for. Over a coleco any day.
Arcade 1ups are actually cheaper than some.

Screenshot_20190322-024717 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190322-024717 (resized).png
#2336 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Originals can be repaired over and over...

Only until ancient parts become obsolete. They won’t make those old chips forever

Quoted from Chosen_S:

Originals will hold their value and will go up in value over time.

This is pure speculation and opinion; no facts here.

Quoted from Chosen_S:

This may be true, only the future will tell, but it’s just as likely that this could play out differently. Here’s a good example of cheap toys retaining their value.

Quoted from erak:

I think in 25 to 30 years they may possibly be what people Remember playing at home. Or have fond childhood memories of. And there may be a niche collector market. Kinda like how some of us older kids remember the days of these. And had to start collecting them. And the coleco tabletops aren't exactly cheap anymore.

#2337 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Are you a real collector...

Stop right there. Collecting is just that, collecting. There are no real collectors or fake collectors. If you collect something, you're a collector.

Now, there are purist, and those who don't care.

So in conclusion, it doesn't matter what you think about what someone else likes to collect.

#2338 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Only until ancient parts become obsolete. They won’t make those old chips forever

This is pure speculation and opinion; no facts here.

This may be true, only the future will tell, but it’s just as likely that this could play out differently. Here’s a good example of cheap toys retaining their value.

True, old chips won’t be around forever. Some already out of reach in every way. Fpga is helping to turn this around, guess they could be installed in arcade 1up as well.

Quoted from woody24:

Stop right there. Collecting is just that, collecting. There are no real collectors or fake collectors. If you collect something, you're a collector.
Now, there are purist, and those who don't care.
So in conclusion, it doesn't matter what you think about what someone else likes to collect.

I agree; Collecting is collecting. Although I have an uncle that collects classic cars,; mustangs, corvettes, and mopar muscle. Dont see anyone with a collector mentality get excited about a row of classic modded ford crown vics that sit outside his shop a few blocks down... everyone gets excited about original OG equipment, and it holds value and grows in value.

I get it , different strokes for different folks.

#2339 5 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I have an uncle that collects classic cars,; mustangs, corvettes, and mopar muscle.

When I hit the lottery, a collection of muscle cars will be one of the first things I shop for. But until then, I collect diecast cars. More specifically. 1:18 scale movie versions. Bullitt, Vanishing Point, Gone in 60 Seconds (70's version), Gone in 60 Seconds (2000 version), Back to the Future, Bumble Bee, '89 Batmobile.

Would absolutely love to own the real things, but this gets me a little closer to feeling like I do. Much like how these Arcade1Up's do for a lot of people. I've got 2 A1up's. SFII and Galaga. Modded both of them. One for horizontal game and another for vertical. Would love to own the real ones, but just like cars, I can't afford them, nor do I have the space for them. So this gets me closer to having my own arcade, which does sit right next to my real JP machine. No substitute for that.

#2340 5 years ago

On second thought, I might get one of these ones too

#2341 5 years ago

I think final fight was releasing today? Walmart exclusive for a bit

#2342 5 years ago

Went with the original cabaret. Couldn't pass up this really nice one. Only need to install the new overlay that came with it.

20190324_202747 (resized).jpg20190324_202747 (resized).jpg
#2343 5 years ago

I’ve owned a Centipede cabaret exactly like that one. You made the right choice believe me.

Also I suggest putting in an led bar behind the marquee. Atari never did that even though I s clearly designed for it. Cheap to do and looks great!

#2344 5 years ago
Quoted from woody24:

When I hit the lottery, a collection of muscle cars will be one of the first things I shop for. But until then, I collect diecast cars. More specifically. 1:18 scale movie versions. Bullitt, Vanishing Point, Gone in 60 Seconds (70's version), Gone in 60 Seconds (2000 version), Back to the Future, Bumble Bee, '89 Batmobile.
Would absolutely love to own the real things, but this gets me a little closer to feeling like I do. Much like how these Arcade1Up's do for a lot of people. I've got 2 A1up's. SFII and Galaga. Modded both of them. One for horizontal game and another for vertical. Would love to own the real ones, but just like cars, I can't afford them, nor do I have the space for them. So this gets me closer to having my own arcade, which does sit right next to my real JP machine. No substitute for that.

What brand is good for those model cars? I saw the Greenlight ones, they look pretty nice. I’d like to get some.

#2345 5 years ago

Added the Turbo Twist 2 and the dimmer board to my Atari 12 in 1. Took about two hours to do both. I definitely recommend paying the extra couple bucks for the external dimmer knob to make adjustments depending if you’re playing during the day or at night. The Turbo Twist is awesome. Just gotta get used to how much more sensitive it is than the dial that came with the machine.

Dimmer

ebay.com link: BRIGHTNESS CONTROL Kit for ARCADE1UP No More Washed Out Blacks DIMMING CONTRAST

DBAC9AAA-8521-4C3D-849C-DDF87DC6A61A (resized).jpegDBAC9AAA-8521-4C3D-849C-DDF87DC6A61A (resized).jpegAA83C797-36BC-49D1-8FD6-F0A003467635 (resized).jpegAA83C797-36BC-49D1-8FD6-F0A003467635 (resized).jpeg50F9A737-FDE7-46A6-B252-74FE8EBFDEAA (resized).jpeg50F9A737-FDE7-46A6-B252-74FE8EBFDEAA (resized).jpeg
#2346 5 years ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

What brand is good for those model cars? I saw the Greenlight ones, they look pretty nice. I’d like to get some.

I think one or two are Greenlights, but they're made by everyone. Shelby Collectibles makes nice Shelby ones. My '89 Batman is actually Hot Wheels. It's nice too, not cheaply made. Forget who makes the other ones. But the ones I have are specifically movie version, not close replicas, so I'm sure different makers make specific movies.

Edit. Just looked. Ertl made the Vanishing Point and 70's Gone in 60 Seconds.

2019-03-27 13.41.55 (resized).jpg2019-03-27 13.41.55 (resized).jpg
#2347 5 years ago

Sweet display!

#2348 5 years ago

Finally got a centipede overlay . First one i asked for around Christmas time. Customer service has come through every time , but sometimes you gotta wait forever.

#2349 5 years ago

Definitely not an arcade1up, but these are pretty cool mini “real” cabinets. They run real boards and a crt tv in a custom cabinet.

#2350 5 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Definitely not an arcade1up, but these are pretty cool mini “real” cabinets. They run real boards and a crt tv in a custom cabinet.

Those are amazing. Talk about doing it the right way (for the non "soccer moms" this group is so obsessed with haha). Obviously comes with a price though as well.

There are 3,130 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 63.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-/page/47 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.